15. CALDECOTE (B.b.).
(O.S. 6 in. IX. N.W.)
Caldecote is a small parish, 7 m. S.W. of Peterborough. The church is the principal monument.
(1). Parish Church of St. Mary Magdalene
stands on the N. side of the parish. The walls are
of cornbrash-rubble and ashlar with dressings of
Barnack and Ketton stone; the roofs are covered
with slates. The church is of 12th-century origin
but little work of this period survives. The Chancel
except the W. wall was re-built in the second half of
the 13th century and the Nave in the 14th century.
The church was drastically restored and partly
re-built in 1874. The South Porch and North Vestry
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (20 ft.
by 16½ ft.) has a late 13th-century E. window of
three graduated lights under a two-centred rear-arch, restored externally except the moulded labels
and mask-stops; below the internal sill is a
moulded string-course continued along the side
walls. In the N. wall are two late 13th-century
lancet-windows, completely restored externally.
In the S. wall are two similar windows, not so
extensively restored and with moulded labels and
mask-stops; the western window is carried down
below a transom as a 'low-side', which is now
blocked. The round chancel-arch is modern
but the square responds are of the 12th-century
material, re-set and have scalloped capitals with
The Nave (28 ft. by 19½ ft.) has in the N. wall
two partly restored 16th-century windows each
of two four-centred lights in a square head with a
moulded label and a two-centred rear-arch; further
E. is a modern doorway. In the S. wall are two
windows similar to those in the N. wall; the 14th-century S. doorway has wave-moulded jambs and
two-centred arch. In the W. wall is a two-light
window, all modern except the late 13th-century
quatrefoil in the spandrel and the adjoining parts of
the heads of the two pointed lights; the window is
set in a recess with a two-centred arch of one
continuous chamfered order; higher up in the wall
is a small window, all modern except the splays
and rear-arch. On the W. gable is a modern
Fittings—Brackets: In chancel—on N. wall,
square moulded shelf on a triple shaft terminating
in a crude beast's head, 13th-century. In nave—
above chancel-arch, two, one a carved beast's head,
and the second moulded rectangular bracket,
16th-century. In porch—rough shaped bracket and
a bearded head, perhaps a label-stop, re-used, both
re-set. Chest: In vestry—front with three moulded
panels, two original lock-plates, early 17th-century.
Coffin-lid: In chancel—in window-recess, fragment with remains of omega ornament, 13th- or
14th-century. Font: octagonal, ogee-shaped bowl
set against a square pier, plain attached stem and
moulded base, 15th-century. Locker: In chancel—
in E. wall, rectangular, with rebated reveals,
probably 13th-century. Monuments: In N. wall of
vestry—(1) to Isaac Gregory, 1707, vicar of Peterborough, and Ann his wife, 1707, plain slab; in
churchyard—loose, E. of chancel, (2) to . . .
Stretch, 1662, head-stone. Piscina: In chancel—
double, with chamfered jambs and trefoiled heads,
free shaft with moulded capital and base between
the bays, moulded two-centred label with mask-stops common to both bays and with a fleur-de-lis
carved in the spandrel, sex-foiled drain in E. bay,
13th-century, sill of W. bay modern. Pulpit:
(Plate 152) of oak, pentagonal, each face with
two panels, lower plain and upper carved with
conventional foliage, on middle rail the date 1646,
top rail, stem, etc., modern. Table: In vestry—
with turned legs, carved top rail with shaped
braces, 17th-century. Miscellanea: In rectory
garden—13th-century moulded capital.
Condition—Good, much restored.
(2). Homestead Moat, 60 yards W. of the
The following monuments are of the 17th
century and of two storeys, timber-framed and
plastered; the roofs are thatched. The interiors
have exposed timber-framing.
(3). Cottage, 200 yards E.S.E. of the church.
(4). Cottage, 40 yards E. of (3), has been
refronted with modern brick.
(5). Cottage, 140 yards S.E. of (4).