16. CATWORTH (A.d.).
(O.S. 6 in. XVI S.E.)
Catworth is a parish and village 4 m. N.
of Kimbolton. The church is the principal
(1). Parish Church of St. Leonard stands
in the village. The walls, with the exception
of those of the W. tower which are of Weldon-stone ashlar, are of Weldon rubble with some
pebbles and the dressings are of Weldon and Ketton
stone; the roofs are covered with tiles and lead.
Parts of the S. and the W. wall of the South Aisle
are the earliest parts of the present building, and
are of 13th-century date. In the latter part of
the 14th century the Nave arcades, the rest of
the S. aisle and the chancel-arch were re-built
and the South Porch added; the West Tower and
North Aisle are of about the same date. Late in
the 15th century the Chancel was re-built and the
North Vestry and clearstorey added. The church
was restored in 1876.
Catworth, Parish Church of St. Leonard.
The roof of the S. aisle is noteworthy and
among the fittings is a fine Communion table
and a brass candelabrum, both of which are of
Architectural Description—The Chancel (31¼ ft.
by 17½ ft.) is of late 15th-century date and has had
the gabled E. wall heightened in recent years.
The partly restored E. window has two tiers of
five cinque-foiled lights with an embattled transom
and a four-centred head with a moulded label
and modern head-stops. In the N. wall is a
window of two cinque-foiled lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head with a moulded label;
further W. is a modern archway into the N. vestry.
In the S. wall are three two-light windows all
partly restored and similar to the window in the
N. wall. The late 14th-century chancel-arch is
two-centred and of two wave-moulded orders
with triple-shafted responds with moulded capitals
The North Vestry (17¾ ft. by 7¾ ft.) has in the
E. wall a re-set doorway, of c. 1300, with chamfered
jambs and two-centred and trefoiled head with a
moulded label. In the N. wall are two late 15th-century windows similar to that in the N. wall of
The Nave (48½ ft. by 16¼ ft.) has late 14th-century N. and S. arcades each of four bays with
two-centred arches of two wave-moulded orders;
the piers have each four shafts separated by
hollow chamfers and with moulded capitals and
bases resting on square plinths. The late 15th-century clearstorey has an embattled parapet
with grotesque gargoyles, three on the N. wall and
five on the S. wall; it has on each side four windows,
each of two cinque-foiled lights with a quatre-foiled
spandrel in a four-centred head.
The North Aisle (8¾ ft. wide) has in the E. wall,
a late 14th-century window of three trefoiled lights
with vertical tracery in a four-centred head with
a moulded label. The N. wall has three carved
gargoyles on the string-course, one being of a
bearded man with a flat cap; in the N. wall are
three three-light windows similar to that in the E.
wall; the late 14th-century N. doorway is largely
of earlier material re-used and has moulded jambs
of two hollow-chamfered orders, moulded imposts
and a two-centred head of two chamfered orders
with a moulded label. In the W. wall is a three-light window similar to those in the N. and E.
The South Aisle (8½ ft. wide) has in the E. wall
a late 14th-century window of two trefoiled lights
with vertical tracery in a four-centred head with
a moulded label with carved head-stops. In the
S. wall are three late 14th-century windows; the
easternmost is of two trefoiled lights with vertical
tracery in a two-centred head with a moulded
label and head-stops; the second appears to have
had the head re-set at a later date and is of two
trefoiled lights with vertical tracery in a four-centred head with a moulded label with one
grotesque male head and one beast's head stop;
the westernmost is of two trefoiled ogee lights
with tracery in a four-centred head with a moulded
label and a carved beast-stop; the mid 13th-century S. doorway has a two-centred head of
three hollow-chamfered orders; the moulded label
has foliated stops; the jambs have each three
detached shafts with moulded bases, and capitals
carved with 'stiff-leaf' foliage; one of the shafts
is modern. In the W. wall is a late 15th-century
window of three cinque-foiled lights in a four-centred head with moulded reveals and label with
carved grotesque stops.
The West Tower (9¼ ft. square) is of late 14th-century date and of four stages with a moulded
plinth and an embattled parapet with four gargoyles and carved grotesque corbels to the parapet
string-course; below the string-course is a band
of cusped panelling. The two-centred tower-arch is of one continuous moulded order; the
lines of the steep-pitched 14th-century roof of the
nave are visible above the arch. In the N. wall
is a small 15th- or 16th-century fireplace with a
four-centred head; the outlet of the flue is masked
by a re-used gargoyle. The W. window is of two
transomed and trefoiled lights with simple tracery
in a four-centred head with moulded reveals and
label; the W. doorway has moulded jambs and
two-centred arch with a moulded label and defaced
head-stops. The second stage has in the N. and
S. walls a cruciform loop, with lobed ends. In the
W. wall is a three-sided window with trefoiled
tracery and a continuous moulded label. The third
stage has in the W. wall a window of two lights
with tracery in a four-centred head with a moulded
label. The bell-chamber has in each wall a pair
of windows each of two trefoiled and transomed
lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head with
moulded reveals and label and a head-stop at the
junction of the labels. The octagonal ashlar-faced spire rises from within the parapet and is
divided into five stages by string-courses; it has
two tiers each of four spire-lights; the windows
of the lower tier are each of two trefoiled lights
with tracery in a gabled head; the windows of
the upper tier are similar but smaller and have
lost their mullions.
The South Porch is of late 14th-century date and
has a two-centred outer archway of two moulded
orders, the outer continuous and the inner springing
from attached shafts with moulded capitals and
weathered bases; the moulded label has head-stops. The side walls have each a pair of windows,
each of two trefoiled lights with vertical tracery
in a square head. The parapet has two carved
The Roof of the nave is of late 15th- or early
16th-century date, low-pitched and of four bays;
the moulded tie-beams have curved braces with
traceried spandrels, some missing, and bosses
carved with foliage and human heads; the purlins
and ridge are double hollow-chamfered; the stone
corbels are embattled and carved with human
heads. The pent-roof of the N. aisle is of
early 16th-century date and of six bays with
double hollow-chamfered main timbers. The pent-roof of the S. aisle is of early 16th-century date
and of six bays with moulded main timbers with
carved faces at the intersections and carved bosses
to the principals with geometric tracery, women's
heads, etc. The early 16th-century roof of the S.
porch is low-pitched and of two bays with moulded
main timbers, carved face-stops to the mouldings
and a central boss carved with quatrefoils.
Fittings—Altar: In vestry—stone slab with
chamfered under-side on two edges, mediæval,
possibly altar-slab. Bells: four; 1st by Robert
Oldfield, early 16th-century and inscribed "Vox
mea plene dulces laudes det Magdalene"; 3rd
by Newcombe, 16th-century, and inscribed "Vox
dni. ihu. xpi. wox exulta[c]ionis"; 4th by Robert
Newcombe, 1585. Brackets: In N. aisle—on E.
wall, rectangular moulded bracket, 15th-century;
on N. wall, moulded bracket carved with 'stiff-leaf' foliage, 13th-century. Candelabrum: (Plate
59) In nave—of brass, with two tiers each of
six scrolled branches, baluster-shaped centre-piece
with double-headed eagle at top and ball at
bottom engraved with two shields-of-arms and the
inscription "Ex donis Joannis Morris de London
generosi 1666." Coffin-lids: In vestry—on E. wall,
moulded tapering slab (Plate 142) with coped
top and double scrolled cross, late 13th-century.
In churchyard—N. of chancel, tapering slab
with cross on stepped base and double 'omega'
ornament, 13th-century. Communion Table:
(Plate 151) of oak, with enriched lower
moulding to rails, massive turned and gadrooned
legs, moulded lower rails, on upper front rail the
inscription, "The gift of Thomas Ekins in the
yeare 1634." Doors: In S. doorway—of moulded
upright panels with ridged filling and frame and
fillets planted on, all on trellis-framing, 15th- or
16th-century. In doorway to turret-staircase of
tower—of plain battens with strap-hinges, 16th-century. Font: plain octagonal bowl and stem
with square chamfered base, possibly 14th-century.
Glass: In chancel—in two western windows in S.
wall, some quarries with flowers, roses, and other
fragments, 15th-century. In nave—in quatrefoils
of clearstorey windows, some fragments with
conventional foliage, 15th-century. In N. aisle—
in E. window, portions of four figures of seraphim
on wheels, quarries with quatrefoils and other
fragments, 15th-century; in other windows in
same aisle, quarries and fragments of similar
character. In S. aisle—in S.E. window, conventional foliage with a border of quatrefoils, etc.,
15th-century. Monuments: In chancel—on S.
wall, (1) to Elizabeth (Humfrey) wife of Thomas
Brudenell, 1656, remains of tablet with cornice and
angel, with shield-of-arms. In S. aisle—on S.
wall, (2) to Dr. John Lawton, date not given, and
Rose (Driden), his second wife, 1710, tablet with
moulded shelf and cornice, painted cherubs and
lozenge-of-arms. Piscina: (Plate 140) In chancel
—formerly double but now of one bay with
moulded and trefoiled head with foliated cusp-points, jambs with detached shafts having moulded
capitals and bases, the whole in a moulded panel,
octofoiled drain, 13th-century, re-set. Plate:
includes cup of 1568 with band of incised ornament and cover-paten, probably of the 17th
century. Pulpit: (Plate 152) of oak, octagonal
with moulded framing and panels of applied
tracery, moulded capping and base, 15th-century,
much restored, one panel of tracery modern.
Scratchings: In second stage of tower—on N.
window, inscription "1668 R.M."; on this and W.
window of same stage, masons' marks. Screen:
(Plate 33) under chancel-arch—of three equal
bays including central doorway, moulded posts
with attached shafts and moulded rails, side
bays each of three cinque-foiled lights with
tracery in a two-centred head, close lower
panels (Plate 33) with trefoiled and sub-cusped heads with carved spandrels, two with
pairs of eagles and the rest foliage, main cusp-points carved with heads or flowers, doorway with
traceried head as in side bays, 15th-century, arch
of middle bay modern, former vaulted loft removed
and heads left without cornice or cross-beam.
Sundial: On S. side of tower—with iron gnomon.
Miscellanea: In N. aisle—top of head-stone,
round with broad-armed cross, loose, 11th- or 12th-century. Five embroidered cushions with 14th-century figures of kings and saints are now in the
Victoria and Albert Museum, South Kensington.
(2). Homestead Moat, 80 yards S.W. of the
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs
are tiled or thatched. Some of the buildings have
original chimney-stacks and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
(3). Manor Farm, house, 350 yards N.E. of the
church, has an early 18th-century addition on the
S.E. The W. part of the house has been entirely
remodelled and partly re-built. S.W. of the house
is a granary with exposed timber-framing. A
timber with the date 1662, from a former barn, is
preserved at the house.
(4). Church Farm, house, 120 yards N.N.E. of
the church, is of two storeys with attics. It is a
building of the 17th century except for the two
large 16th-century chimney-stacks on the N.W.
side. The southern of these is of ashlar; the
northern is of 17th-century brick where it rises
above the roofs. Inside the building is a 17th-century partition, timber-framed and with arched
heads between the studs; one of these heads has
moulded imposts and key-block and guilloche-ornament on the soffit. The staircase to the
attics has an octagonal oak newel.
(5). House, 30 yards N. of the church, is of
L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards
the W. and N. The central chimney-stack has
four square attached shafts.
(6). House, on the W. side of the road, 100
yards S. of the church, is of L-shaped plan with the
wings extending towards the S. and E.
(7). House, 120 yards S.S.W. of (6), is of T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the W. end.
(8). Bakehouse, on W. side of the road, 50 yards
S.W. of (7), is of early 18th-century date. The
timber-framing of the lower part of the building is
exposed and has brick nogging.
(9). Cottage, on the N. side of the road, 100 yards
W.N.W. of (7), has an original central chimney-stack, of cross-shaped plan.
(10). Cottage, W. of (9), has an original chimney-stack with two diagonal shafts.
Condition—Roofless and ruinous.
(11). Cottage, two tenements, 40 yards W.N.W.
of (10), was built c. 1700, on an L-shaped plan, with
the wings extending towards the E. and N.
(12). House and barn, on the E. side of the road,
60 yards N.W. of (11). The house was built c.
1700 and has an original stone chimney-stack with
two detached brick shafts joined at the top by a
small arch. The Barn, W. of the house, has
(13). Cottage, on the W. side of the road, 60
yards N.N.W. of (12), was built early in the 18th
(14). House, on the S. side of the road, 80 yards
W.S.W. of (11), is of L-shaped plan with the wings
extending towards the W. and S. The W. wing has
been largely re-built. Inside the building one room
has an original moulded ceiling-beam.
Condition—Poor, partly ruinous.
(15). Brook House, 530 yards W. of (14),
incorporates parts of a late 16th-century house,
of which the chimney-stack remains. Inside the
house, the hall has an original stone fireplace with
stop-moulded jambs and four-centred arch in a
square head, with a fluted frieze.
(16). Cottage, 80 yards S. of (15).
(17). House, at Brook End, 120 yards S.S.W. of
(16), is of T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the
E. end. On the E. side of the cross-wing there is a
large chimney-stack of stone and brick, partly of
the 16th century. The chimney-stack on the S.
side of the main block is of the 17th century with a
moulded capping; the shafts have projecting
pilaster strips. Inside the building is a 17th-century moulded ceiling-beam.