22. DENTON (B.b.).
(O.S. 6 in. IX N.W.)
Denton is a small parish 7 m. S.S.W. of Peterborough. The church is the principal monument.
(1). Parish Church of All Saints stands in
the middle of the parish. The walls are of stone and
pebble - rubble with dressings of Barnack and
Ketton stone; the roofs are covered with stone
slates and tiles. The responds of the chancel-arch
are of the 12th century and the arch itself of the
13th century but the whole of the rest of the
building, except part of the W. wall, was re-built
in the 17th century, the Chancel in 1629, the Nave
about the same time, the North Porch in 1665 and
the West Tower probably in 1671. The church was
restored in the 19th century.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (14½ ft.
by 13¼ ft.) has an E. window of three lights, and is
modern except for the jambs; above the window
is a stone inscribed "Anno Domini 1629 August";
the gable has a mutilated gable-cross. In the N.
wall is a 17th-century window of two square-headed lights and further E. is a blocked doorway
with a wooden lintel. In the S. wall is a window
similar to that in the N. wall. The 13th-century
chancel-arch is two-centred and of one chamfered
order and springs from mid 12th-century square
responds with moulded imposts and chamfered
The Nave (30½ ft. by 18 ft.) has in the N. wall a
17th-century window of three transomed and
square-headed lights; the N. doorway has chamfered jambs and segmental head with a re-used early
14th-century label. In the S. wall is a window
similar to that in the N. wall; the S. doorway has
plain jambs and a chamfered two-centred head;
the chamfered label has mask-stops and the whole
is set in a slight projection. In the W. wall is a
17th-century window of a single light with a modern
head; the doorway to the tower has a W. jamb
probably of early 14th-century date; the head has
been replaced by a wooden lintel; the W. gable
has a trefoiled gable-cross.
The West Tower (5 ft. by 7¼ ft.) is of the 17th
century and of two stages finished with a pyramidal
roof. In the S. wall of the ground-stage is a roughly
built doorway, now blocked. In the W. wall is a
single-light square-headed window. The bell-chamber has in the N., S. and W. walls a window
of two round-headed lights.
The North Porch has a two-centred outer archway with moulded archivolt and imposts and plain
jambs; above it is a sunk panel with the date
Fittings—Bells: two, inaccessible but said to
be, 1st with initials R.O.S., early 16th-century;
2nd by Norris, 1671. Communion Table and
Rails. Table: with upper rails moulded and with
simple enrichment, 17th-century. Rails: moulded
rail with four turned posts, two with acorn tops,
17th-century. Doors: In N. doorway—battened
door with moulded fillets and frame planted on,
strap-hinges and wooden stock-lock with moulded
edges and simple enrichment, 17th-century. In S.
doorway—similar to that in N. doorway but
without lock. In E. doorway to tower—plain
battened door, 17th-century. Font: octagonal
tapering bowl, octagonal shaft and chamfered
base, date uncertain. Monuments: In churchyard—
N.E. of chancel, (1) to Elizabeth (?) wife of Robert
Newburn, Jun., late 17th-century; by N.W.
corner of nave, (2) to Richard Hill, 1688, head-stone. Plate: includes small cup and cover-paten of 1568 with band of incised ornament, large
Elizabethan cup with band of incised ornament and
cover-paten with traces of stippled ornament,
probably 17th-century. Pulpit: 18th-century
with some re-used 17th-century moulded and
carved rails in the sounding-board. Scratchings:
On door to tower, initials and date W. H. 1709.
Seating: In nave—bench-end with conventionalized fleur-de-lis head and date A.D. 1607 and two
benches with shaped ends and moulded rails, early
17th-century. Sundial: On S. wall of nave—
of wood, with iron gnomon, perhaps early 18th-century.
The following monuments are of late 17th-century date and of two storeys, timber-framed
and plastered; the roofs are thatched. Some of
the buildings have original chimney-stacks and
(2). Cottage, 100 yards S.E. of the church.
(3). Cottage, two tenements, 50 yards N.W. of
(4). Cottage, 80 yards W. of the church.
(5). Cottage, two tenements, 200 yards W.N.W.
of the church.