24. EASTON (B.d.).
(O.S. 6 in. XVII S.W.)
Easton is a parish and small village 6 m. W. of
Huntingdon. The church is the principal monument.
(1). Parish Church of St. Peter stands near
the middle of the village. The walls are of rubble
with some pebbles and the dressings are of Weldon
and Ketton stone; the roofs are covered with lead.
The church contains various re-used fragments
of 12th-century date and the N. wall of the Nave
is probably of this period. The chancel-arch and
the S. arcade of the Nave were built and the
nave lengthened early in the 14th century, and
shortly after the South Aisle was added; the
West Tower was built late in the 14th century and
the Chancel was re-built perhaps at the same time.
In the 15th century the chancel and nave were both
heightened. Late in the 15th or early in the 16th
century the North Porch was added and the rood-loft staircase inserted. The clearstorey was added
or re-built in the 16th century or when the roof
was renewed in 1630. The church was restored
in 1871 and the S. aisle largely re-built in 1902.
The church is chiefly interesting for the remarkable early 17th-century roof of the nave.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (22½ ft.
by 13½ ft.) has a slightly restored 15th-century
E. window of three cinque-foiled lights with vertical
tracery in a four-centred head with a moulded
label. In the N. wall are two windows, the eastern
of late 14th-century date and of two cinque-foiled
lights with tracery in a four-centred head with
moulded jambs and label with head-stops; the
window has been heightened in the 15th century;
the western window is of the 15th century and of
two cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in a
four-centred head with a moulded label. In the
S. wall are two windows, generally similar to the
corresponding windows in the N. wall, but the
label of the eastern window has stops carved with
quatrefoils; the early 16th-century S. doorway
has moulded jambs and four-centred arch in a
square head with a moulded label and head-stops.
The early 14th-century chancel-arch is two-centred
and of two chamfered orders, the outer continuous
and the inner springing from moulded corbels;
above the arch, on the W. face, are the lines of an
earlier roof before the addition of the clearstorey.
The E. wall and the eastern parts of the N. and S.
walls of the chancel are largely of the 15th century,
but the rest of the walling is of early 14th-century
The Nave (47¼ ft. by 16¾ ft.) has in the N. wall
two late 15th-century windows, the eastern of
three cinque-foiled and transomed lights, with
vertical tracery in a four-centred head with
moulded reveals and label; the western window is
similar, but of two lights; the 14th-century N.
doorway has moulded jambs, two-centred arch and
label with head-stops; E. of the doorway is the
E. jamb of an earlier doorway and the re-set round
head of an early, probably 11th-century, window.
The S. arcade (Plate 6) is of c. 1300
and of four bays, with two-centred arches of
two chamfered orders; the cylindrical columns
have moulded capitals, chamfered bases and
high square plinths; the responds have attached
half-shafts with shaped bases; the capitals
have been mutilated and repaired; E. of the
arcade is the upper doorway of the rood-loft
staircase; it has a four-centred head. The
clearstorey has an embattled parapet and four
16th- or early 17th-century windows in the S. wall,
each of three four-centred lights in a square head
with moulded reveals and label.
The South Aisle (7½ ft. wide) has in the E. wall
a late 15th-century window of three square cinque-foiled lights in a square head with a moulded label.
Across the N.E. angle of the aisle is the lower
doorway to the rood-loft staircase; it is of late
15th-century date and has chamfered jambs and
four-centred head; the staircase is lit by a square-headed window. In the S. wall are three windows,
the two eastern of late 14th-century date and each
of two trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in a four-centred head with a moulded label; the easternmost of these windows is largely modern restoration
and the second has been partly restored; the
westernmost window is of similar date and of two
trefoiled lights with tracery in a four-centred head
with a moulded label; the early 14th-century
S. doorway has moulded jambs, two-centred arch
and label, with defaced head-stops. In the W. wall
is a late 15th-century window of three square
cinque-foiled lights in a square head, with moulded
reveals and a label with scrolled stops.
The West Tower (about 9½ ft. square) is of late
14th-century date. It is of three stages (Plate
4) with a moulded plinth and a cornice
and band of quatrefoils at the base of the
spire. The tower-arch is two-centred and of
three chamfered orders, the two outer continuous
and the inner springing from attached shafts
with moulded capitals and bases. The W. window
is of three cinque-foiled and transomed lights with
vertical tracery in a four-centred head with
moulded reveals and label; the W. doorway has
moulded jambs, two-centred arch and label with
scrolled stops. The second stage has in the W. wall
a window of two trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil
in a four-centred head with a chamfered label.
The bell-chamber has in each wall a pair of windows,
each of two trefoiled and transomed lights with
a quatrefoil in a two-centred head with a moulded
label and a head-stop between the windows;
below the transom the lights have quatre-foiled
heads. The octagonal broach-spire has three tiers
of spire-lights facing the cardinal points; the
windows of the two lowest tiers are each of two
trefoiled lights with a quatre-foiled spandrel in a
gabled head. The windows of the top tier are each
of one trefoiled light in a gabled head.
The North Porch is of late 15th- or early 16th-century date. The outer archway has moulded
jambs and two-centred arch with a moulded label.
The side walls have each an internal recess with
chamfered jambs and four-centred head; enclosing
a window of two trefoiled lights with tracery in a
four-centred head with a moulded label; the W.
window is mostly modern.
The Roof of the nave is of 1630, the date
appearing on the easternmost tie-beam; it is
flat-pitched and of four bays with moulded
timbers; the tie-beams have carved enrichment
and the braces have bolection-moulded spandrels;
the wall-posts rest on moulded corbels with shaped
pendants and heart-shaped piercings; there are
similar pendants on the soffits of the tie-beams.
The modern roof of the S. aisle incorporates two
chamfered tie-beams and a purlin, probably of the
17th century. The roof of the N. porch is modern,
except for the two 17th-century tie-beams and
wall-posts with moulded pendants.
Fittings—Bells: four; 2nd and 4th (Plate
7) by Newcombe, 2nd inscribed "Sancta
Marea," mid 16th-century. Brackets: In S.
aisle—on E. wall, remains of bracket, now
shapeless; on S. wall, part of 12th-century scalloped
capital; possibly used as bracket. Chests: In
W. tower—(Plate 146) of boards with moulded
rail in front, iron-bound angles, strap-hinges,
one lock and two hasps, money-box at end,
17th-century. In nave—small, plain hutch-type, straps at angles, 17th-century. Coffin-lids: Built into N. wall of nave—lid with raised
cross. In S. aisle—on S. wall, fragments. Communion Table: In S. aisle—with turned legs and
moulded top rails with shaped brackets, early
17th-century. Incorporated in modern communion table, frieze of round-headed panels with
conventional foliage, late 17th-century. Door: On
S. door—fragments of iron hinges with one stamped
rosette at end, late 13th- or early 14th-century.
Font: square tapering bowl with chamfered angles,
probably 13th-century, stem and base modern.
Piscina: In S. aisle—with chamfered jambs and
two-centred head, round drain, probably 14th-century. Plate: includes cup of 1669 with incised
initials "E. I. A." Poor-box: In nave—on back
of bench, rectangular box with iron slot, straps
and lock-plate, 17th-century. Recess: In tower—
in N. wall, small, with four-centred head, 15th- or
16th-century. Screen: Under chancel-arch—of
oak and of five bays including central doorway,
buttressed main posts, side bays with moulded
rail carved with paterae, open upper lights with
cinque-foiled double heads and tracery, close lower
panels with double sub-cusped heads, tracery of
doorway removed, 15th-century, much mutilated.
Seating: In nave—twelve benches with panelled
ends, and two fronts, also two benches and a front
with standards finished with shaped popey-heads,
17th-century. Stoups: In S. doorway—fragments
of bowl built into jamb of doorway. In N. porch
—in S.E. angle, octagonal bowl, set within a four-centred recess and now supported on moulded
corbelling, 15th-century. Table: In nave—with
turned legs and shaped brackets to top rail, late
17th- or early 18th-century. Miscellanea: In
S. aisle, re-set in S. wall—stone with cross in relief
on face. In S. aisle—portions of window-tracery,
etc. In churchyard—various worked and moulded
stones. Incorporated in modern prayer-desk,
etc., 17th-century turned balusters, said to have
come from the staircase at Long Stow Manor
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs
are thatched or tiled. Some of the buildings have
original chimney-stacks and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
(2). House, about 60 yards E.S.E. of the church,
has been re-built, except for the central chimney-stack which has grouped shafts.
(3). Cottage, on the S. side of the road, 60 yards
W.N.W. of the church, has an original fireplace,
with a chamfered oak lintel.
(4). House, W. of (3). The W. part of the house
was remodelled and the roof raised late in the 17th
century. Some of the timber-framing is exposed.
Inside the building one room has a moulded
(5). Cottage, 40 yards W. of (4).
(6). Cottage, 30 yards W. of (5).
(7). Crown Inn, at the N. side of the road
180 yards E.N.E. of the church. The roof is
covered with corrugated iron.
(8). Cottage, three tenements, 250 yards W. of
(7), has been refaced with brick.
(9). House, 60 yards W.N.W. of (8), has an early
18th-century brick gable at the S. end with a
chimney-stack. The original central chimney-stack
has three grouped shafts.
(10). House, on the W. side of the road, 30 yards
N. of (9).
(11). Cottage, 180 yards N.N.E. of (10), was built
(12). House, 20 yards N.E. of (11), has a large
original stone chimney-stack on the E. side; built
into the stack are two carved stones, one a label-stop and one a head. Inside the building is an
original panelled door.
(13). Cottage, 140 yards E.S.E. of (12).