30. FEN STANTON (D.e.).
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXII N.E., (b)XXIII N.W.)
Fen Stanton is a parish and village, on the
Cambridgeshire border, 2 m. S. of St. Ives. The
Church is the principal monument.
b(1). Parish Church of SS. Peter and
Paul (Plate 56) stands on the E. side of the
village. The walls are of stone and pebble-rubble with a preponderance of stone in the
chancel and of pebble in the rest of the building; the dressings are of Barnack stone and
clunch; the roofs are covered with tiles, slates
and lead. There are 12th-century stones re-used in the chancel and tower but there are
apparently no structural remains of this date.
The responds of the chancel-arch are of early to
mid 13th-century date and the plinth of the N.W.
respond of the nave is perhaps of the same period.
The N. and S. arches of the West Tower are also
of mid 13th-century date together with the inner
or W. order of the E. arch up to the height of the
springing of the side arches. There was also a
S. porch at this period. The South Aisle of the
nave was re-built in the first half of the 14th century
and c. 1350 the Chancel was re-built on an
unusually large scale (William de Longthorne,
rector, 1345–52, founded it, see Brass Indent).
The South Porch was re-built about the same time.
Towards the end of the century the W. Tower was
largely reconstructed and the spire added. In the
15th century the Nave was re-built, the chancel-arch altered, the E. arch of the tower raised and
heavy buttresses added to support it. Late in the
15th or early in the 16th century the North Aisle
was re-built. The church has been slightly restored
in modern times.
The chancel is a handsome example of 14th-century work and is of particular interest from the
fact of its being closely dated.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (50½ ft.
by 25 ft.) is entirely of c. 1350 with ashlar buttresses,
a double-moulded plinth and a cornice-moulding
to the side walls. The E. window (Plate 57)
is of seven cinque-foiled ogee lights with elaborate
tracery in a two-centred head with moulded
jambs, splays, mullions and labels, the last
with beast and human head-stops including
one of a bishop. The N. and S. walls
have each three windows—each of three cinque-foiled ogee lights with net-tracery in a two-centred
head and of similar detail to the E. window;
the labels have beast and human head-stops,
including priest, bishop, etc. W. of the middle
window in the S. wall is a doorway with jambs
and two-centred arch of two moulded orders with
moulded labels and head-stops. The 15th-century
chancel-arch is two-centred and of two moulded
orders; the responds have each three attached
shafts, mainly of the 13th century and with
15th-century moulded capitals and original 'hold-water' bases on half-round plinths; the arch and
capitals are of clunch and the responds mainly of
Fen Stanton, the Parish Church of S.S. Peter & Paul
The Nave (44½ ft. by 15½ ft.) has 15th-century
N. and S. arcades both of three bays and with two-centred arches of two moulded orders similar to
the chancel-arch; the moulded columns have each
four attached semi-octagonal shafts with moulded
capitals like the chancel-arch and moulded bases;
the responds have attached half-columns; the
first capital on the N. has been partly restored;
the arches and responds are of clunch and the
columns of Barnack stone. The clearstorey has
on each side four 15th-century windows each of
two cinque-foiled lights in a four-centred head with
a moulded label; the clearstorey is finished with a
The North Aisle (13 ft. wide) is probably of late
15th-century date and has ashlar buttresses and a
plain parapet. In the N. wall are three windows
each of three cinque-foiled ogee lights with vertical
tracery in a four-centred head with a moulded label
and modern stops. The N. doorway has moulded
jambs, two-centred arch and label; it is now
blocked. In the W wall is an early 16th-century
window of four cinque-foiled lights in a four-centred head with moulded jambs.
The South Aisle (11½ ft. wide) is of the first half
of the 14th century and has ashlar buttresses, a
plain parapet and a moulded string-course below
the window-sills, cut back on the end walls. In the
E. wall is a window of c. 1330, partly restored, and
of two cinque-foiled lights with leaf-tracery in a
two-centred head with a moulded label; the jambs
and splays are moulded. In the S. wall are three
early 16th-century windows, partly restored, and
each of four cinque-foiled lights in a four-centred
head with moulded jambs; the two easternmost
have also moulded splays; the 14th-century S.
doorway has moulded jambs, two-centred arch and
label with modern stops. In the W. wall is a 14th-century window, partly restored and of three
trefoiled ogee lights in a square head with moulded
splays and labels with one head-stop.
The West Tower (11 ft. by 14 ft.) is of three
stages (Plate 56) with ashlar buttresses and
spire. The ground-stage has a 15th-century E. arch,
two-centred and of three orders, two being hollow-chamfered and the third wave-moulded; the
responds have each a large semi-octagonal attached
shaft with moulded capital and base; the plain
outer order on the W. face is of earlier work up to
the level of the springing of the side arches of the
tower and is of Barnack stone, the rest of the work
being in clunch. The buttresses of this arch are
each pierced by a low half-arch at the base. The
N. and S. arches of the tower are of mid 13th-century date, two-centred and of three chamfered
orders struck from below the springing and perhaps
re-set; the two outer orders are continuous and the
innermost springs from moulded corbels with
carved heads below. The late 14th-century door-way to the turret-staircase has splayed jambs and
moulded two-centred arch; the late 14th-century
W. window is of three cinque-foiled lights with
modern tracery in a two-centred head, with a
moulded label and head-stops; the W. doorway,
of the same date, has jambs and two-centred arch
of three orders, the two outer chamfered and the
innermost wave-moulded; the moulded label has
modern stops. The second stage has in the S. wall
a square quatre-foiled opening of late 14th-century
date; in the W. wall is a window of two trefoiled
lights in a square head with a moulded label and
head-stops. The bell-chamber has in each wall a
late 14th-century window of two cinque-foiled lights
with vertical tracery in a two-centred head with a
moulded label and head-stops. The broach-spire
is octagonal, the squinches being covered with flat
tabling; it has two ranges of lights, four in each
range, those in the lower range are each of two
cinque-foiled lights with blind tracery in a gable with
carved heads at its bases and apex. The lights of
the upper range are each a single trefoiled light in
a gable with carved heads as those just described.
The South Porch is of mid 14th-century date,
heightened early in the 16th century; it has a
re-set outer archway of distorted two-centred form
and of three moulded orders, the two outer of the
13th century with a moulded label enriched with
'dog-tooth' ornament and with scrolled terminations; the inner order is of the 14th century, as
are the responds of one chamfered and one splayed
order with restored attached shafts; above the arch
is a re-set 13th-century window of vesica-form with
moulded jambs. The side walls have each a 14th-century window of two trefoiled lights in a square
head with a moulded label.
The Roof of the nave is probably of the 15th
century, much restored and perhaps reconstructed;
it is of four bays, high-pitched with cambered tie-beams, curved principals above them, king-posts,
curved intermediate principals, wall-posts with
curved braces and moulded purlins; at the main
intersections are carved figures and foliage-bosses;
below the tie-beams are carved bosses, including
heads of a king and a queen in a 'nebuly' head-dress; the stone corbels on both sides are carved
with grotesque beasts, heads, etc. The early 16th-century roof of the N. aisle (Plate 46) is of four
bays and of flat pitch with moulded main timbers
and purlins, hollow-chamfered rafters and moulded
plates carved with twisted foliage; the curved
braces to the tie-beams are carved with foliage and
at the main intersections are foliage or flower
bosses; under the intermediate principals are large
carved figures of feathered angels holding crowns,
shields or lutes. The roof of the S. aisle is of
similar type and date to that over the N. aisle, but
the carved figures are smaller, only three are
feathered and all hold shields; others are dressed
in dalmatics; under the wall-posts are carved
heads. The early 16th-century roof of the S. porch
is of two bays with moulded and cambered tie
beams, plates, ridge and curved braces; there are
two carved flowers on the soffits of the tie-beams.
Fittings—Bells: five; 1st and 5th by Thomas
Norris, 1636; 3rd, 1603, founder unknown; 4th
by William Haulsey, 1620. Brass Indent: In
chancel—In Purbeck-marble slab, of half-figure
of priest with marginal inscription in Lombardic
capitals:—"HIC JACET DOMINUS WILELMUS DE
LOUGTHONE QUONDAM RECTOR HUIUS ECCLESIE ET
FUNDA[TO]R ISTIUS CA[PELL?]E," mid 14th-century (Rector 1345–52). Coffin-lid: part of
tapering slab, re-used as threshold of S. doorway
of chancel, 13th-century. Communion Table: In
vestry—of oak with turned legs, early 18th-century. Locker: In S. aisle—in S. wall,
rectangular, with rebate for door. Monuments:
In churchyard—on S. side—(1) to William, son
of Richard Harivey, 1706–07, head-stone. W. of
tower—(2) to Sarah Martin, daughter of John
Martin, 1706–07, head-stone; (3) foot-stone dated
1686; (4) to Mary, wife of William Whinn,
1714–15, and to Edward their son, carved head-stone with cherub-head, etc. Piscinae (see Sedilia).
Plate: includes a large cup (Plate 136) of
1619 with two bands of incised 'Elizabethan'
decoration and with inscription and date 1619.
Pulpit: (Plate 152) of oak, octagonal, with
upper part divided into two tiers of linenfold panels
with heads of folds terminating in fleurs-de-lis
and having small crocketed buttresses at angles of
each tier; early 16th-century, stem and cornice
modern. Sedilia: In chancel—of three stepped
bays with fourth or easternmost bay a piscina, with
shafted jambs and quatrefoil columns with moulded
capitals and bases and ogee cinque-foiled heads;
piscina with multifoiled drain; mid 14th-century.
Stoup: In S. aisle—in S. wall, E. of S. doorway,
with chamfered jambs and cinque-foiled head and
circular basin which originally projected but has
projecting half cut off; 14th-century. Sundial:
On S. face of third buttress on S. wall of chancel,
scratched dial with gnomon gone. Miscellanea:
Incorporated in modern lectern, four traceried
panels of oak and divided by small crocketed
buttresses; in heads of lower panels, carved shield
charged with a flower and a heart pierced by arrows
and charged with a fleur-de-lis. On modern chest,
two old wrought-iron hinges. In churchyard, base
of churchyard-cross, square with octagonal top and
stops on angles, stump of cross above, probably
a(2). Homestead Moat at Grove House, about
800 yards W.S.W. of the church.
a(3). Clock Tower and lock-up (Plate 166), at
the cross-roads, 650 yards S.W. of the church, is a
square structure of brick with a pyramidal slate
roof surmounted by a cupola. It was built probably
late in the 17th century as a lock-up and has
rusticated angles and oversailing eaves-courses.
In the S.W. side is the original doorway with a
heavy frame and a battened door with three strap-hinges. There is a modern doorway in the N.E.
side and windows on the S.W. and N.E., the
former now blocked. The square timber cupola
has a round keyed arch in each face and contains a
bell cast by Thomas Norris in 1660 or 1666.
a(4). The Manor, house 1,000 yards W. of the
church, is of two storeys with attics; the walls are
of brick with stone dressings and the roofs are
covered with slates. It was built early in the 18th
century and has modern additions at the back.
The E. front is symmetrically designed and has a
stone plinth, brick bands between the storeys,
stone heads and key-blocks to the windows and
stone pilasters at the main angles and at the angles
of the middle bay. The eaves have a modillioned
cornice and there are three dormers in the roof. The
band, cornice, etc., are continued round the S. end
and there are two dormers in the roof. Inside the
building, the main staircase (Plate 165) has
turned and twisted balusters and the newels are in
the form of fluted Ionic columns; the treads have
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs
are tiled or thatched. Some of the buildings have
original chimney-stacks and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
a(5). Cottage and Barn, 80 yards N. of (4).
The Cottage has shaped gables at each end and is
built of brick. The Barn (Plate 150), S.W. of
the cottage, has walls of brick and is three bays
Chequers Street. S.E. side
b(6). Cottage, 500 yards W.S.W. of the church,
has an original doorway in the porch with a
moulded frame and a door of six panels with strap-hinges, having fleur-de-lis ends. The walls of the
house are of brick.
b(7). Cottage, 50 yards N.E. of (6).
b(8). Cottage, two tenements, in by-lane, 380
yards W. of the church.
b(9). House, 130 yards E. of (8), is built of brick
with a wing and staircase at the back. The S.
front has a two-storeyed porch with a hipped roof;
the porch-door is original and of six moulded panels
with strap-hinges and an old drop-handle. The
inner doorway of the porch has an original moulded
frame with moulded stops. The ends of the house
have shaped gables. Inside the building the
staircase is partly original and has a moulded rail,
newels with incised carving and moulded terminals,
some shaped balusters and incised friezes below the
rail. On the first floor is a chamfered wall-post,
with moulded and enriched capping.
b(10). Cottage, at the N.W. corner of Honey Hill
and 170 yards N.W. of the church, has an original
central chimney-stack with grouped diagonal
b(11). Cottage, two tenements, opposite and E.
b(12). Range of four tenements, 40 yards W. of
the church, has one original chimney-stack with
grouped diagonal shafts. Inside the building one
tenement has an original moulded ceiling-beam.
b(13). Cottage, 10 yards W. of (12), has an original
central chimney-stack with grouped diagonal
b(14). Cottage, 40 yards S.W. of (13), has an
original chimney-stack with two diagonal shafts.
b(15). House (Plate 71), 20 yards W. of
(14), was built in the 16th century with a cross-wing at the E. end. There is a 17th-century
wing at the back. The upper storey projects
along the whole of the N. front on curved brackets.
The original central chimney-stack has four
octagonal shafts with moulded bases and 'egg
and tongue' ornament to the capping. The
timber frame stands on a base of re-used ashlar.
High Street. S. side
b(16). Star Inn, 540 yards S.W. of the church,
has an original chimney-stack of four grouped
diagonal shafts. Inside the building is an early
18th-century panelled partition.
b(17). George Inn, 130 yards W.N.W. of (16), is
built partly of brick. The front doorway has an
original moulded frame. Inside the building are
two moulded and shaped brackets with dentilled
b(18). House and shop, W. of (17), has a modern
cement-rendered front; the walls are of brick.
b(19). House and shop, W. of (18), is built of
brick and has shaped gables at the ends.
a(20). House and shop, 40 yards W. of (19),
has been refaced with modern brick.
a(21). House, 80 yards S.W. of (20), was built
c. 1500 with a central block and cross-wings at the
N.E. and S.W. ends; the whole building is now
covered by one roof. The upper storey projects
at the front end of the N.E. cross-wing, on four
curved brackets. Inside the building the middle
room has an original moulded ceiling-beam.
Fen Stanton, Plan Showing the Position of Monuments.
a(22). The Gables, house 200 yards S.W. of (21),
was built in the second half of the 16th century
on an H-shaped plan with the cross-wings at the
N.E. and S.W. ends. The upper storey projects
on the whole of the N.W. front, and some of the
curved brackets remain. Inside the building are
two original moulded ceiling-beams.
Fenton, see Pidley-cum-Fenton.