34. GIDDING, LITTLE (B.c.).
(O.S. 6 in. XIII N.W.)
Little Gidding is a small parish 9 m. N.W. of
Huntingdon. The Church is the principal monument, and is of interest from its connection with
the Ferrars of Little Gidding Hall.
(1). Parish Church of St. John stands in the
S.W. part of the parish. The walls are of brick
with dressings of Ketton stone and brick; the W.
wall is faced with Ketton stone; the roofs are
covered with stone slates. The church is said to
have been re-built c. 1625 and the Chancel is
possibly of this date; the Nave was re-built in 1714.
The church was restored in 1853 when the upper
part of the E. wall was re-built. The South Vestry
The church is notable for its 17th and early
Little Gidding, Parish Church of St John
Architectural Description—The Chancel (22¾ ft.
by 12 ft.) has a 17th-century E. window with plain
brick jambs and a round head. In the S. wall is a
square-headed doorway. The round chancel-arch
is cased with panelling.
The Nave (32¾ ft. by 13½ ft.) has in each side wall
two square-headed windows with moulded sills,
plain architraves and key-blocks all of stone. The
W. end (Plate 62) has square stone pilasters at
the angles supporting small pedestals and obelisks;
on the pedestals is the date 1714; the capping of
the pilasters is carried across as a string-course and
above it rises the stone bell-cote with rusticated
sides flanking the square-headed opening for one
bell and supporting a moulded cornice; above the
cornice is a pyramidal termination resting on a
concave plinth and finished with a ball; the
pyramid is pierced with three rectangular openings.
The W. doorway has a square head, moulded
architrave and plain key-block; above it is a
moulded cornice supported on two scrolled brackets.
Fittings—Brasses and Indents. Brasses: In
nave—on E. wall, (1) to John Farrar, 1657, with
shield-of-arms; (2) to Ann (Brook) wife of John
Ferrar, 1702–3, inscription only; (3) to Mary,
daughter of Solomon Mapletoft, 1656, with shield-of-arms; (4) to Susanna (Ferrar) wife of John
Collet, 1657, inscription only. Indents: of all the
above, in churchyard W. of nave. Chair: In
chancel—largely modern, but incorporating 17th-century material. Communion Table and Rails.
Table: with turned legs and moulded upper and
lower rails, c. 1700. Rails: modern but incorporating three early 18th-century balusters. Font:
(Plate 59) small brass basin on baluster-stem,
brass cover with pierced cresting and top with
incised decoration of crosses and fleurs-de-lis;
fixed on front of modern base, a brass leopard's
face supported by two wingless griffons, 17th-century, stem of doubtful age. Hour-glass Stand:
(Plate 59) fixed on N. respond of chancel-arch
—wrought-iron bracket with scrolled ornaments
supporting a stand in the form of a crown
of pierced metal, 17th-century. Lectern: (Plate
59) In nave—of brass with large eagle on
baluster-stem supported on three seated lions,
17th-century. Monument and Floor-slabs. Monument: In churchyard—W. of nave, table-tomb,
said to be to Nicholas Ferrar, 1637, but inscription
illegible. Floor-slabs: In churchyard—W. of nave,
(1) to John Collet, 1650; (2) to Susanna (Collet)
wife successively to Josuah Mapletoft and James
Chedley, 1657, with shield-of-arms. Panelling:
In chancel—side walls lined with plain oak-panelling to two-thirds their height, with wooden bench
in front supporting an arcade of small Doric shafts
with plain segmental arches and simply moulded
cornice, c. 1714. In nave—side walls lined to full
height with similar panelling and arcading (Plate
61), continued across W. end at same
height; arcading supported on modern stalls and
with more elaborate shafts than those in the
chancel, segmental arches with turned pendant
key-blocks and dentilled main and subsidiary
cornice; panelling at back slightly enriched,
c. 1714, but whole of N. and W. sides modern.
Pavement: In nave—black and white stone
chequer pavement, c. 1714. Plate: includes
17th-century cover-paten and flagon of 1629 and
an alms-dish of 1634, given by Susan Beckwith.
Reredos: On E. wall—one large and two smaller
wooden tablets, each with moulded frame, cornice
and segmental pediment; middle tablet with three
brass panels inscribed with the Ten Commandments; side tablets each with a brass panel
inscribed with the Lord's Prayer and Creed
respectively, 17th- or early 18th-century. Royal
Arms: In nave—on W. wall, Stuart arms
embroidered on fabric, 17th-century. Miscellanea:
Used as cover of cushion of litany-desk, piece of
(2). Homestead Moat, with outer enclosure,
¼ m. N.E. of the church.
Gidding, Steeple, see Steeple Gidding.