40. HAIL WESTON (B.f.).
(O.S. 6 in. XXV N.W.)
Hail Weston is a small parish and village 2 m.
N.W. of St. Neots. The Church is the principal
(1). Parish Church of St. Nicholas stands in
the village. The walls are of pebble-rubble with
some stone; the dressings are of Ketton and
Weldon stone and some clunch; the roofs are
tiled. The church, consisting of Chancel and Nave
without structural division, was built late in the
13th century. Late in the 15th century the upper
part of the E. wall was re-built. In the next
century the S. wall of the nave was partly re-built
and the timber West Tower added. The church
has been restored in modern times when the
South Porch was added and the N. wall of the nave
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (19½ ft.
by 22¾ ft.) has a much restored late 15th-century
E. window of three cinque-foiled lights with
vertical tracery in a four-centred head with
moulded external reveals and label; below the
sill is an internal offset marking the limit of the
13th-century work. At the top of the buttresses
are carvings of two beasts. In the N. wall is a late
13th-century lancet-window with moulded jambs
and modern rear-arch. In the S. wall is a partly
restored late 15th-century window of three trefoiled lights with vertical tracery in a four-centred
head with moulded external reveals and label;
further W. is a doorway all modern except for the
two-centred 13th-century head.
The Nave (40¼ ft. by 22¾ ft.) is structurally
undivided from the chancel. The N. wall has
been largely re-built; in it are two modern windows; the much restored late 13th-century N.
doorway has a two-centred arch of two orders, the
inner chamfered and continued down the jambs
and the outer moulded and having a moulded
label; the outer order has modern imposts. In
the S. wall are two windows; the eastern of early
16th-century date and of three four-centred lights
in a square head with moulded external reveals
and label; the western window is modern except
the splays; the 16th-century S. doorway has stop-moulded jambs and four-centred arch. In the
W. wall are two modern windows; the partly
restored early 16th-century W. doorway has stop-moulded jambs and four-centred arch.
The West Tower (12 ft. by 10¼ ft.) was built early
in the 16th century but except for the framing of
the ground-stage and some re-used timbers in the
upper stage the work has all been restored. The
ground-stage has heavy uprights set on a modern
plinth, each pair connected by trussed framing
with heads, strainers and struts.
The Roof of the nave is of late 15th- or early
16th-century date, extensively restored. It is of
four bays with tie-beams, queen-posts, collars,
struts and braces; the E. truss has an embattled
tie-beam with a running enrichment of trefoils
enclosing roses on the W. face; the lower pair of
purlins and the wall-plates are also embattled;
the tie-beams of the second and third trusses are
Fittings—Bells: two; 1st by Christopher
Graie, 1655; 2nd probably by Watts, 1589.
Communion Table: with turned legs, top rails
carved with arabesque ornament, c. 1630–40.
Font: octagonal bowl with moulded under-edge,
octagonal stem with shaped stops and plain
square base, late 13th-century. Monument: In
churchyard—N. of church, to Elizabeth, wife of
William Child, 1706, head and foot-stones. Piscina:
In chancel—of two bays with moulded jambs and
two-centred arches, modern shaft in middle, no
drains, late 13th-century. Screen: Between
chancel and nave—modern but incorporating seven
moulded posts, cut off above rail, and two whole
panels and one half-panel of tracery to heads of
close panels, 15th-century. Seating: In nave—
eight benches with moulded rails and shaped ends
with carved popey-heads, early 16th-century,
partly restored. Sundial: On S.W. buttress of
S. aisle—scratched circular dial. Miscellanea:
Loose in tower—standard, perhaps for sounding-board of pulpit, styles, top and middle rails carved
with arabesque and running ornament, arched
enrichment to upper panel removed, early 17th-century, with earlier work re-used.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs
are tiled or thatched. Some of the buildings have
original chimney-stacks and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
(2). Cottage, 30 yards S. of the church.
(3). Cottage, on the E. side of the road, 100 yards
N.E. of the church.
(4). Brook End Farm, house 250 yards N.E. of
the church, has a large modern addition on the
(5). Cottage, two tenements, on the S. side of the
road, 80 yards N. of the church.
(6). House, 160 yards W. of (5), has a double
gabled wing at the back.
(7). Cottage, 40 yards W. of (6).
(8). Cottage, on the N. side of the road, 40 yards
N.W. of (7).