42. HARTFORD (C.d.).
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XVIII N.W., (b)XVIII S.W.)
Hartford is a village and parish adjoining that
of Huntingdon on the N.E. The Church and Manor
House are the principal monuments.
a(1). Parish Church of All Saints stands
on the left bank of the Ouse. The walls of
the chancel and nave are of rubble, mostly of
water-worn stones; the tower is of stone-rubble;
the dressings are of Barnack and other freestone;
the roofs are tiled. The Chancel may be of the 12th
century, but this is only indicated by the thickness
of the E. and N. walls. The N. arcade of the Nave
was built c. 1180 and the S. arcade perhaps ten
years later; the aisles are probably of the same
size as the original aisles. The West Tower was
built late in the 15th century. The church was
restored in 1861 and in 1895; the North and
South Aisles, the chancel-arch, the S. and part of
the E. wall of the chancel, the North Vestry and
the South Porch are modern.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (21¼ ft.
by 13½ ft.) has no ancient features except the hollow-chamfered splays and two-centred rear-arch of the
E. window, which are perhaps of the 14th century,
The Nave (37 ft. average by 17½ ft.) has a N.
arcade of c. 1180 and of four bays with round arches
of two orders, the outer square and the inner
chamfered; the round columns have moulded
capitals and bases; the respond-corbels and the
W. arch are modern and the capitals partly restored.
The S. arcade is of c. 1190 and of four bays with
two-centred arches of two chamfered orders; the
round columns have moulded capitals and restored
bases; the respond-corbels and W. arch are modern.
The South Aisle is modern except for the E. wall;
the re-set S. doorway of c. 1190 has a modern round
arch and free shafts to the jambs with simple
moulded capitals and one with a chamfered abacus
rounded at the angle.
The West Tower (11 ft. square) is of late 15th-century date and of three stages, divided externally
into four stages by string-courses and finished with
an embattled parapet with crocketed pinnacles at
the angles and a trefoiled ogee and crocketed arch
over the middle crenel of each side; the merlons
have brick filling. The two-centred tower-arch is
of three chamfered orders, the two outer continuous
and the inner resting on semi-octagonal attached
shafts with moulded capitals. In the S. wall is a
doorway to the staircase with chamfered jambs
and four-centred arch. The W. doorway, now
blocked, has jambs and four-centred arch of two
chamfered orders with a moulded label. The W.
window is of three modern trefoiled lights in 15th-century casement-moulded jambs and four-centred
arch with a moulded label and head-stops. The
second stage has in the N., S. and W. walls a round-headed loop over which the string-course is mitred.
The bell-chamber has in each wall a window of two
pointed lights in a four-centred head with a moulded
label and carved stops.
Fittings—Chest: under tower—with moulded
styles and rails, front with three panels carved with
conventional flowers and carved frieze, moulded
and panelled lid and sides and flat ball-feet, early
17th-century. Font: square bowl with stop-chamfered angles, round middle shaft with simply
moulded capital and base, four modern side-shafts and modern base, 13th-century. Miscellanea: Incorporated in E. wall and walls of modern
aisles, various moulded stones; in E. wall, head
of cross and foliated fragment. In rectory-garden—
fragments of coffin-lids and other worked stones,
12th- and 13th-centuries.
Condition—Good, much restored.
a(2). Moat and Earthwork, possibly a small
mount and bailey, at Sapley, 2 m. N.N.W. of
the church, consists of a mound about 9 ft. high,
surrounded by a wet ditch of oval form and with
remains of a small outer enclosure on the S.
b(3). Manor House (Plate 72), on the N.W.
side of the road, 320 yards N.E. of the church, is
of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the
roofs are tiled. The form of the house suggests a late
15th- or early 16th-century building with a central
block and cross-wings at the N.E. and S.W. ends.
At a later date the chimney-stack was inserted in
the main block and early in the 18th century the
house was remodelled and a block added at the
back of the main building and a wing at the S.W.
end. The S.E. front has gables at the ends of the
cross-wings and a two-storeyed porch in the middle.
The upper storey projects at the end of the S.W.
cross-wing, on curved brackets. The 18th-century
addition at the back has a moulded eaves-cornice
and a three-light window lighting the staircase,
the middle light of which has a round head. The
central chimney-stack has panelled faces of late
17th- or early 18th-century date. Inside the building, the ground-floor room of the main block has
an original moulded ceiling-beam. The walls are
lined with early 18th-century panelling and the
back wall is pierced by three round arches with
panelled piers; the fireplace has a heavy moulded
surround. The dining-room in the S.W. wing and
the drawing-room beyond it are lined with early
18th-century panelling and the drawing-room
has a fireplace with a marble surround and an eared
architrave. The second room in the S.W. wing
and the kitchen in the N.E. wing have exposed
ceiling-beams. The early 18th-century staircase
has turned balusters and cut strings with carved
brackets. The first floor has some early 18th-century panelling, doors and a fireplace with a
The Moat, Hartford.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs
are tiled. Some of the buildings have original
chimney-stacks and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good.
b(4). King of the Belgians Inn, on the S. side of
the road, 180 yards N.W. of the church, has an
original chimney-stack with rusticated angles.
b(5). House and shop, opposite (4) has an original
chimney-stack with small attached pilasters. One
room has an original moulded ceiling-beam.
b(6). Cottage, on the W. side of the road, 160
yards N. of the church. The upper storey formerly
projected in front, but has been under-built with
modern brick; it retains its original moulded
b(7). Manor Farm, house, now two tenements,
20 yards N.E. of (3), was built early in the 18th
century. The walls are of brick. Inside the
building, one room is lined with early 17th-century
panelling, re-used, and has an early 18th-century
fireplace with a moulded surround and cornice.