4 BACTON (B.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXXVIII, S.W., (b)XLIV, N.W.)
Bacton is a small parish on the W. side of the county
10 m. S.W. of Hereford. The principal monument is
b(1). Parish Church of St. Faith, stands in the
southern half of the parish. The walls are of sandstone
rubble with dressings of the same material and of a
local sandy limestone; the roofs are covered with
slates. The church dates from early in the 13th century,
and the W. wall, and possibly portions of the N. and S.
walls of the Nave, are of that date. Late in the 15th
century the church was largely re-built and lengthened,
and further work was done in the following century
when the nave and chancel were re-roofed. The
West Tower was added probably shortly after 1573,
when £5 was left for its erection by Symond Parry.
The church was restored in 1894, when the E. wall was
re-built, and the South Porch and Organ Chamber were
added. In 1907 the W. tower was restored.
Among the fittings the mediæval cup and cover paten,
the Elizabethan altar-cover and the monument to
Blanche Parry, a maid of honour to Queen Elizabeth,
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (22½ ft. by
17½ ft.) has in the modern E. wall a re-set 15th-century
window of three trefoiled lights with vertical tracery
in a two-centred head; the lower lights are separated
from the tracery by a transom at the level of the springing of the head. In the N. wall is a partly restored
late 15th-century window of two cinque-foiled lights
with pierced spandrels in a square head and a shaped oak
lintel, in place of a rear-arch; further W. is a modern
recess for the organ. In the S. wall are two windows;
the eastern is similar to the window in the N. wall and
the western is of late 14th-century date, and of two ogee
cinque-foiled lights in a square head; the late 15th-century doorway between the windows has moulded
jambs and four-centred head. There is no structural
division between the chancel and the nave.
The Nave (34¾ ft. by 17¼ ft.) has in the N. wall two
windows; the eastern is of late 15th-century date and
of two lights similar to the window in the N. wall of
the chancel, but with a partly restored mullion; the
western window is of late 14th-century date, probably
re-set, and of two lights, similar to the westernmost
window in the S. wall of the chancel; to the E. of the
eastern window is a small square-headed doorway
opening into the rood staircase, and in the upper part
of the wall is a similar doorway giving access to the
former rood-loft. In the S. wall are two late 15th-century windows similar to the window in the N. wall
of the chancel; the late 15th-century S. doorway has
moulded jambs and four-centred head.
The West Tower (11½ ft. by 10¼ ft.) is of late
16th-century date, and is of two storeys, undivided
externally, with a slightly battered plinth and an
embattled parapet; at the angles of the parapet are
plain water spouts, but only the spout at the S.E. angle
is old. The tower is covered with a low pyramidal
roof. In the E. wall, opening out of the nave, is
a re-set early 13th-century doorway with keel-moulded
jambs and obtuse pointed arch; it is probably the
original W. doorway reversed; above it is a 13th-century lancet-window with a round rear-arch. In the
S. wall are two small square-headed lights, one above
the other and between these is a recessed rectangular
panel with a chamfered stone surround and modern
filling. In the W. wall is a single small light with a
modern head. The bell-chamber has in each wall a
window, each of two lights with chamfered jambs and
The Roof of the chancel is of late 15th-century date
with moulded and embattled wall-plates and small
carved angels, mostly old, above them; it is of pointed
barrel-form and is ceiled with modern boarding which
probably covers the old timbers. The roof of the nave
is of arched and braced-rafter type, and has moulded and
embattled wall-plates similar to those of the chancel
roof and retaining painted quatrefoils and other traces
of colour at the E. end; the roof is of late 15th-century
date, and has been boarded in, but the boarding is now
Fittings—Altar-frontal: now enclosed in glass case
on N. wall of nave, several pieces of white silk fabric
worked with intricate designs, in green and other
coloured silks, of sprigs of flowers and foliage and
numerous beasts, birds, insects, monsters, boats, etc.,
said to be the work of Blanche Parry, Elizabethan.
Bells: four; 3rd by A. Rudhall, 1710. Font: plain
round bowl and stem with moulded base, 13th-century.
Glass: A glass panel representing Blanche Parry,
formerly in this church, was removed to Atcham,
Shropshire, in 1811. Monuments and Floor-slabs.
Monuments: In chancel—against N. wall (1) of Blanche
daughter of J. Parry, Maid of Honour to Queen
Elizabeth, wall-monument (Plate 82) in white stone
and alabaster, with effigy of the maid-of-honour wearing
flat cap with veil behind, high collar with small ruff,
full gown with tight-fitting bodice and sleeves with
ruffs round wrists, ribbon with cross pendant round
neck, holding in right hand an egg-shaped (? scent)
box and kneeling before figure of Queen Elizabeth,
crowned and dressed in usual close-fitting corsage,
full skirt, ruff, mantle over shoulders, jewelled collar,
orb in right hand, left hand broken, but probably
originally holding sceptre; on tail of mantle reclines
a small lion. The figures are placed within an arched
recess flanked by Corinthian columns supporting entablature with shield of the Royal Arms within a
garter above, the whole standing on a base divided
by panelled pilasters into three panels with quartered
achievement-of-arms of Parry in middle panel, and
lozenges of same arms in side panels. Inscription at
back of recess. In nave—on S. wall (2) of Alexander
Stantar, 1620, and Rachel (Hopton), his widow and
wife of Lewis Thomas, 1663, mural monument of freestone with figures of man holding skull in hand, and
wife clasping book, both in costumes of the period
retaining traces of colour, kneeling in recess with
central and flanking Doric shafts supporting entablature with achievement and two shields-of-arms above.
Floor slabs: In W. tower—(1) to Thomas Rogers,
1706, and Abigail his wife; (2) to . . . of Rachel
Thomas, 1644; (3) to . . . daughter of John Pitt,
1648. Piscina: In chancel—recess with chamfered
two-centred head, projecting drain in form of scalloped
semi-octagonal capital, late 12th or early 13th-century.
Plate: includes a 15th-century chalice (Plate 56),
with hemispherical bowl, hexagonal stem, knop with
leopard's head in each face, spreading base with pierced
foot at each angle; on base engraved crucifix and the
words, John and Caputt (?) in black-letter, also paten,
of same date, with sex-foiled sinking enclosing an
engraved head of Christ. Recess: In nave—E. of S.
doorway, plain rough recess, possibly intended for a
stoup. Seating: In chancel—on either side, bench
with desk in front, with plain seats to benches, moulded
top rails and elbow standards with half popey-heads.
Desk on N. side with popey-head standards and front
panelled in seven bays, six with trefoiled ogee heads
and traceried spandrels, second from E. end with
cinque-foiled head, all cusp points with rosettes or
foliated ends. S. desk, similar, with front panelled in
six bays, with trefoiled and sub-cusped ogee heads and
all probably late 15th-century, repaired.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century, and of two storeys.
The roofs are covered with stone-slates or modern
slates. Inside the buildings some of the rooms have
exposed and chamfered beams.
Condition—Good, or fairly good, unless noted.
b(2). Cottage, 25 yards N.N.E. of the church, is of
two storeys with attics. It is partly timber-framed and
in modern times has had the N. and S. walls re-built in
stone and brick respectively. Later additions have
been made on the E. and N. sides. On the W. side is
a projecting chimney-stack which is original up to the
b(3). The Dingle, farmhouse, 570 yards W.S.W. of
the church, is timber-framed with brick nogging on a
stone base. It was built probably in the 16th century,
on an L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards
the S. and E. The E. wing was lengthened in the
latter part of the 17th century. An addition has been
built on the W. side of the house and the brick nogging
b(4). Paradise, cottage, 70 yards S.S.W. of (3), is
timber-framed with plaster infilling except the S. wall
and the re-built W. wall, which are of stone. Adjoining
the N. end is a derelict barn, most of the weather-boarding of which has been stripped from its walls.
b(5). Upper House Farm, farmhouse and barn, 500
yards W.S.W. of (4). The House was largely remodelled in the 18th century, and modern additions have
been made at the W. end. A doorway in the W. end
of the S. front has an original moulded frame and the
porch has some re-used shaped brackets to the hood.
The Barn, S.W. of the house, is partly timber-framed
and partly of stone. It is in five bays with a modern
extension at the W. end. Below the two westernmost
bays is a basement E. of which the barn has been reduced
in width. In the E. gabled wall are three doorways to
the basement each with a chamfered oak frame.
b(6). Tremorithic, farmhouse and barn, nearly 1 m.
S.W. of the church. The House is partly of two storeys
with attics and partly of one storey with attics. It
appears originally to have been of timber-framed
construction, but was remodelled late in the 18th
century, when the external walls were refaced or re-built
with stone and the southern end of the house was
heightened. Later additions have been built at the S.
end of the house. Set in the S. wall is a stone inscribed
The Barn adjoins the N. end of the house and is in
four bays. It is of timber-framing with modern
weather-boarding and has a stone base.
b(7). Pen-tŵyn, farmhouse, ½ m. S.E. of the church,
is of one storey with attics. The walls are timber-framed with brick infilling on a stone base, except the
S. wall, which is of stone. There are extensions on the
N. and W. of the building. The exposed timber-framing is in square panels.
a(8). Barn at Newcourt Farm, W. of the railway,
about ¾ m. N. of the church, is of two storeys. It is
timber-framed with brick nogging or weather-boarding.
It has been extended towards the S.E. in modern times
and has some modern partitions inserted inside the
building. The house has been almost re-built, but
incorporates in the base of the outside walls some
walling of an earlier house, possibly of 16th-century
date. Inside the building a doorway to a cupboard in
one of the ground-floor rooms incorporates portions of
two panels carved with conventional ornament of late
Condition—Of barn, poor.
a(9). Fortified Enclosure (Plan, p. xxxiv), 180
yards S.W. of (8), consists of an irregular triangular
enclosure about ⅓ acre in extent, protected on two sides
by a largely natural double scarp with a berm between,
and on the third or western side by a ditch and inner
rampart. Within the easternmost angle of the enclosure
is a small mound with a sinking on its top.