18 DEWCHURCH, LITTLE (D.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. XLVI, N.W.)
Little Dewchurch is a parish 5 m. S.S.W. of Hereford.
(1). Parish Church of St. David, stands on the W.
side of the parish. The walls are of local sandstone
with ashlar and dressings of the same material. The
West Tower was built c. 1360–70, but the rest of the
church was re-built in 1869–71.
Architectural Description—The Chancel has re-set
in the N. wall a 13th-century lancet-window. The N.
wall of the Nave, which may be partly ancient, has a
re-used 14th-century head to the eastern window;
it is of two trefoiled ogee lights in a square head. The
second window in the S. wall is also of the 14th century,
re-set; it is of two trefoiled ogee lights in a square head
with moulded reveals.
The West Tower (8¼ ft. square), is of late 14th-century
date, and of four stages, divided externally into two, with
a moulded plinth and embattled parapet with carved
gargoyles at the angles; the middle merlon on the E.
is pierced with a cruciform loop; the walls are ashlar-faced. The ground-stage has a doorway in the E. wall,
with double-chamfered jambs and modern arch. The
W. window is modern. The second stage has, in the
W. wall, a small square-headed window. The third
stage is divided by a modern floor; it has, in the S.
wall, a small square-headed window, partly blocked.
The bell-chamber has, in each wall, a window of two
lights in a square head; the lights are ogee-headed in
the E. and S. walls and triangular-headed in the N. and
W. walls. This stage has a pointed barrel-vault of
stone, running N. and S. and divided into four bays by
chamfered ribs; the middle rib on the E. springs from
an octagonal post standing on the window-sill.
Fittings—Bells: five, 1st by John Finch, 1656; 2nd
mediæval and inscribed in Lombardic capitals "Eternis
annis resonet campana Johannis." Churchyard Cross:
S. of church—square chamfered base with ogee-headed
niche in W. face, on three steps, lower part of square
shaft with chamfered angles, 14th-century. Monuments: In churchyard—against W. wall, (1) to Richard
Greene, 1702, and Katherine his daughter, 1689, headstone; (2) to Martha, 1709, and Mary, 1710–11,
daughters of Phillip James, double headstone; (3) to
Richard Garen (?), minister, late 17th-century, broken
slab. Seating: In tower—in second stage, 17th-century bench with moulded top and shaped brackets
(2) Court Farm, 150 yards E.N.E. of the church,
is of two storeys with attics and cellar, the walls are
timber-framed and the roofs are covered with tiles.
The house appears to have been re-built late in the
16th century, but two crutch-trusses of mediæval date
survive from the older house. The W. wing was
added early in the 17th century, and at the end of the
century an addition was made at the E. end. Inside
the building there is exposed timber-framing and the
ceilings have exposed beams and joists. The two
ground-floor rooms in the W. wing have plaster
ceilings with moulded panels, the northernmost having
small birds and stars in addition. Two crutch-trusses
are visible at the first-floor level, the westernmost
having an inserted tie and queen-posts. On this floor
is a 16th-century fireplace with chamfered stone jambs
and wood lintel, and in the W. wing is a fireplace
with a four-centred chamfered head.
(3). Smithy, cottage, ¼ m. E. of the church, is of two
storeys; the walls are of rubble and timber-framing, and
the roof is covered with slates. It was built in the 17th
century, and has modern additions. Inside the building
there are stop-chamfered ceiling-beams and exposed
(4). Upper Cwm, two tenements, nearly ½ m. E.N.E.
of the church, is of two storeys; the walls are of
rubble and timber-framing and the roofs are covered
with tiles and slates. It was built in the 17th century,
and has an early 18th-century addition at the N. end
and some modern additions.
(5). The Friars, house, ½ m. E. of the church, is
of two storeys with cellars; the walls are of rubble and
the roof is covered with slates. It is of L-shaped plan,
and was built in the 17th century on the lower walls
of an earlier building. It has been much modernised,
but contains some exposed ceiling-beams and a 17th-century door.
(6). Catson, cottage, about ¾ m. N.E. of the church,
is of one storey with attics; the walls are timber-framed and plastered and the roofs are thatched. It
was built in the 17th century, and has exposed timber-framing and ceiling-beams.
(7). Cottage, at Carey, 2 m. E.S.E. of the church, is
of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and timber-framing and the roof is covered with tiles. It was
built in the 17th century, and has a modern addition.
Inside the building are exposed ceiling-beams and