19 DEWCHURCH, MUCH (D.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXXIX, S.W., (b)XLV, N.W., (c)XLV,
N.E., (d)XLV, S.W.)
Much Dewchurch is a large parish 6 m. S.S.W. of
Hereford. The church and the Mynde are the
c(1). Parish Church of St. David, stands near the
middle of the parish. The walls are of sandstone-rubble, mostly coursed, and the dressings are of sandstone and limestone; the roofs are covered with stone
slates, tiles and shingles. The Chancel and Nave were
built early in the 12th century. The West Tower was
added in the 13th century. About 1370, the South
Porch was added. The church was restored in 1877,
and the North Vestry and Aisle are modern.
Much Dewchurch, the Parish Church of St David
Architectural Description—The Chancel (21½ ft. by
20¼ ft.) has a late 14th-century E. window of three
cinque-foiled lights with tracery in a two-centred head
with a moulded label and modern stops. In the N. wall
is a modern arch, and to the E. of it is a 12th-century
window of one small round-headed light. In the S.
wall are two windows, the eastern of late 13th-century
date, and of two trefoiled lights with a circle in a two-centred head, with a moulded label; the mid 14th-century western window is of two trefoiled ogee lights
with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head; between the
windows is a 15th-century doorway with chamfered
jambs and four-centred head; immediately W. of the
western window is the W. jamb of a 13th-century doorway, destroyed when the window was inserted. The
early 12th-century chancel-arch has a round arch of
two square orders; the responds, built mostly of tufa,
are of the same section as the arch and have plain
The Nave (42 ft. by 25¼ ft.) has in the N. wall a
modern arcade of two bays; further W. is an early
12th-century window of one round-headed light with
an external head, perhaps re-cut. In the S. wall are
three windows, the two easternmost are of early
14th-century date, and of two cinque-foiled lights with
a cusped spandrel in a two-centred head with a moulded
label; the eastern window is set in a recess, probably
for a former altar; the westernmost window is a single
round-headed light of early 12th-century date; the
early 12th-century S. doorway has a plain lintel of three
stones with joggled joints; above it is a recessed semi-circular tympanum filled with square stones; the E.
end of the S. wall has been re-built and the rest of the
wall, E. of the porch, set back from the original line and
The West Tower (16¼ ft. by 15¾ ft.) is of the 13th
century and of two stages with a moulded plinth and a
pyramidal saddle-backed roof with modern dormer-windows. The two-centred tower-arch is of three
continuous chamfered orders. In the S. wall is a
window of one lancet-light. The 14th-century W.
doorway has moulded jambs, two-centred arch and label
with defaced head-stops; it is now fitted with a modern
window. The second stage has in the E. wall a doorway with chamfered jambs and two-centred head.
The N., S. and W. walls have each a lancet-window
similar to that in the stage below.
The South Porch is of c. 1370, and has an outer archway
with moulded jambs, two-centred arch and label with
head-stops of a bishop and a king. The side walls
have each a window of one square-headed light. On
the gable is an original gable-cross.
The Roof of the nave is of 15th or early 16th-century
date and of braced collar-beam type; the wall-plates,
three tie-beams and the timbers of alternate trusses are
moulded. The 14th-century roof of the S. porch is of
two bays with moulded and curved braces under the
collar-beam, chamfered purlins with wind-braces
forming trefoiled arches and moulded wall-plates.
Fittings—Bracket: In chancel—In N.E. corner,
head of tapering slab with elaborately foliated cross in
quatre-foiled circle, moulded under edge, late 13th or
early 14th-century. Coffin lids: In chancel—forming
sill of S.E. window, with simple foliated cross-head in
quatre-foiled circle, 13th-century; forming lintel to S.
doorway, with cross formed of intersecting segments,
rosettes at sides of stem, late 13th-century; forming sill
of S.W. window, with cross having fleur-de-lis points
in circle, second circle at base, rosettes at sides of stem,
late 13th-century; re-used in footings of N.E. buttress
of chancel, two fragments with remains of round crosshead. Incorporated in E. wall of S. porch—worn slab
with traces of cross. Font: round bowl with shallow
arcade of thirteen round arches springing from flat
shafts with square-cut cappings and bases, plain round
stem and chamfered base carved with four grotesque
faces and four rosettes, early 12th-century. Locker:
In chancel—in S. wall, plain rectangular recess.
Monuments and Floor-slabs: Monuments: In nave—
against E. wall, S. of chancel-arch, (1) to Sir Walter
Pye, Attorney General, and Joan (Rudhale), his wife,
1625, black marble and alabaster wall-monument
(Plate 82) consisting of arched recess flanked by
Corinthian columns supporting an entablature with
centre-piece and achievement-of-arms, in recess, kneeling figures of man in civil costume and wife with low
pedestal between them, on front of base, kneeling figures
of six sons, one figure missing, and seven daughters,
all with their names beneath, cartouche and two other
shields-of-arms on upper part of monument; in recess
immediately W. of above, (2) to John Pye, 1547, and
Walter Pye of Mynde, altar-tomb with recumbent effigies (Plate 49) of old man in civil costume with pointed
beard and younger man also in semi-civil costume with
long cloak, moulded capping to tomb, and on N. side
raised panels with shield-of-arms and bust of a man in
low relief, all c. 1560–70. Floor-slabs: In nave—(1) to
James Andrews, minister of the parish, 1694, and
Benedicta his widow, 1728, with shield-of-arms; (2) to
Rowland Andrews, son of the above, 169(0?) (3) to
Robert Pye, 1680–1, with shield-of-arms In N. aisle—
(4) to—, eldest son of William—mde, 1697,
cut on earlier slab with foliated cross, and remains of
'black-letter' inscription; (5) to James Pye, 1646.
Piscina: In chancel—recess with chamfered jambs and
four-centred head, quatre-foiled drain, early 16th-century. Plate: includes an alms-dish of 1686, with
initials and the arms of Chamberlain. Pulpit: of oak
and with three sides only, each with enriched pilasters
and round arches, reeded frieze with band of guilloche
ornament and rosettes above, early 17th-century, base
modern. Recess: In nave—in S. wall, with hollow-chamfered jambs and segmental-pointed head, label cut
back, 14th-century, probably tomb-recess. Stoup:
In S. porch—shallow recess and projecting base, bowl
missing. Miscellanea: In S. porch—two pieces of
sandstone (Plate 9), with interlacing ornament on
both sides, one side having rows of pellets in place
of middle strand of the interlace, one stone apparently
part of a shaft, and the other part of an object with a
round middle portion and two projections, late 12th-century, also stone roughly hollowed out and with
drain and two human faces carved in low relief. In
churchyard—churchyard-cross, re-built in 1870, but
incorporating the original square base with chamfered
upper edge, on four steps.
c(2). Homestead Moat, in Bryngwyn Park, 600
yards S.S.E. of the church.
b(3). The Mynde, house, nearly 1¼ m. S.W. of the
church, is of three storeys with cellars; the walls are
of rubble and the roofs are covered with slates. It was
built late in the 15th or early in the 16th century with a
central hall and cross-wings at the N. and S. ends.
The cross-wings were extended to the W. at the end of
the 16th century, and about the middle of the following
century an addition was made between the cross-wings
and flanking the hall on the W. The cross-wings were
again extended, as stabling, about the same time.
Early in the 18th century the original building was
almost entirely remodelled and the external walls recased or re-built. The N., S. and E. fronts of the main
building have been re-built in modern times. The
W. Front of the main block has a 17th-century doorway
with moulded jambs and four-centred arch; above it is
a frieze with triglyphs and baluster-shafts in relief and a
cornice and pediment. The S. wall of the original
N.W. wing has a chamfered plinth returned along the
original W. end; in the S. wall is a window blocked by
the wall of the 17th-century addition to the hall-block;
further W. are several square-headed windows, probably
of early 16th-century date. The N. wall of the original
S.W. wing has a blocked doorway, probably of the 17th
century; the end of the original wing is marked by a
straight joint, a foot or two further W. There are two
small square-headed windows in the W. wall of this
wing. The late 16th-century extension of the N.W.
wing has two square-headed windows of this date;
the corridor, crossing this extension, has a doorway at
the N. end with moulded jambs and segmental head;
the doorway at the S. end has a chamfered segmental
head and a nail-studded door with strap-hinges. The
doorway at the E. end of the S. wall has chamfered
jambs and four-centred head and a nail-studded door
with a diamond-shaped scutcheon. The late 16th-century extension to the S.W. wing has two doorways
of this date with chamfered and moulded jambs and
four-centred heads respectively; one has a nail-studded door with strap-hinges and scutcheon. The
N. wall of the 17th-century extension to the N. wing has
timber-framing with brick filling. Lying loose in the
courtyard is a carved 17th-century achievement-of-arms.
The Mynde, Much Dewchurch, Sketch Plan
Interior—The decorations of the hall are of early
18th-century date; the side walls are divided into five
bays by Corinthian pilasters supporting an enriched
cornice; the windows have enriched architraves and
those in the lower range, a cornice in addition; the
doorway in the E. wall has architrave, cornice and
pediment. The doorways in the W. wall have enriched
architraves and cornices and are surmounted by panels
with busts in relief of Kings Egbert and Alfred; in
the middle bay is a trophy of arms; the remaining
bays have trophies of sculptor's and draughtsman's
instruments. The N. and S. walls are each of three
bays and have doorways surmounted by busts of
Edward III, Henry V, William I and another. The S.E.
room is lined with mid 17th-century panelling. The
early 18th-century staircase has twisted balusters, newels
in the form of Doric columns, and box-ended stairs
finished with carved and moulded brackets, the mouldings of which are continued across the soffit of the
staircase; the walls have a panelled dado. The middle
room of the original N. wing is lined with early 18th-century panelling with cornice and dado-rail; the
doorways have enriched architraves and pediments
enclosing two faces, a scallop, etc. The adjoining
room on the W. has early 18th-century and re-used mid
17th-century panelling; the fireplace has a moulded
surround and cornice. The room flanking the hall is
lined with mid 17th-century panelling with a cornice;
the N.E. fireplace has an overmantel (Plate 37) with
two ranges of arched panels divided by slender Doric
columns and finished with an enriched frieze; the S.E.
fireplace is flanked by fluted pilasters and surmounted
by a fluted frieze; the overmantel (Plate 37) has two
ranges of arched and enriched panels divided by enriched Ionic pilasters and finished by a double enriched
frieze. The extensions of the two wings have exposed
ceiling-beams. The first floor retains a considerable
amount of mid 17th-century panelling.
c(4). Vicarage, E. of the church, is of two storeys
with cellars; the walls are of rubble and brick and the
roofs are tiled. The main block was built early in the
17th century, and has an added late 17th-century block
on the S. side. There are modern additions on the N.
and S. sides and the house has been much altered.
Inside the building are some exposed ceiling-beams and
two 17th-century panelled doors. A floor-slab, now
used as a draining board, commemorates William, son
of Sir Roger Bodenham, K.B., 1641, and his wife, 1671.
There are also some fragments of 14th and 15th-century
glass, including two men's heads.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys; the
walls are of rubble and the roofs are covered with
slates or tiles. Some of the buildings have exposed
c(5). Post Office, house, 70 yards N. of the church,
has a central block, probably of late 15th-century date
with 17th-century additions on the E. and W. The
partition-wall in the main block is of original chamfered
studding with a doorway having a four-centred head.
The roof has a cambered tie-beam on shaped wall-posts.
c(6). Black Swan Inn, on the N. side of the road, 40
yards N.E. of (5), is of 15th-century date, and has,
inside the building, some vertical studding and a doorway with a four-centred head, of this date.
c(7). House, 100 yards W.N.W. of the church, has
been much altered. Inside the building is some mid
c(8). Church Farm, house, about 100 yards W.S.W.
of the church, incorporates, in the N. wing, one bay of
a 15th-century or earlier building with an original
crutch-truss. The truss has a tie-beam at the first-floor level and a collar above.
c(9). Barn, at Cottage Farm, 800 yards S. of the
church, is timber-framed with brick filling. The roof
is of six bays, with queen-post trusses and shaped wall-posts.
a(10). Old Horseshoe Farm, 750 yards W. of Tram Inn
Station, has some exposed timber-framing on the N.E.
side; the S.W. side has been re-faced with brick.
d(11). New House Farm, house, cider-house and barn,
2¼ m. S.W. of the church. The House consists of
two rectangular and parallel blocks, of which the
southern is of two storeys with cellars and attics. This
block has on the N. side a doorway with an original
moulded frame and two windows with moulded frame,
mullion and transom. The shafts of the chimneystacks are divided by grooves. Inside the building, the
staircase to the basement is original and has a griphandrail, moulded strings and square newels with
moulded terminals; the splat-balusters are missing.
The staircase (Plate 62) to the first floor, also original,
has turned balusters, grip-handrail, moulded risers, and
square-panelled newels with moulded terminals. In the
cellar is a moulded ceiling-beam, and on the first floor
is some original panelling. The N. block of the house
has some original windows similar to those in the S.
block, also a window with diamond-shaped mullions;
the doorway on the S. side has a moulded frame.
Inside the building, the staircase is original and has
grip-handrails, moulded newels carried up and returned
under the ceiling and a moulded string.
The Cider-house, S.W. of the house, has been extended
on the E. The staircase, inside the building, is original.
The Barn, W. of the cider-house, is partly timber-framed and partly of rubble. It is of three bays with
a two-storey extension and wing at the N. end.
d(12). Cole's Tump, earthworks, at the W. end of
Orcop Hill, and 2 m. S.S.W. of the church, consist of a
series of round and rectangular mounds, etc. At the
W. end is a natural tump crowned by a round enclosure,
about 19 yards in diameter, with a slight ditch and sunk
top; immediately against the ditch on the N.E. is a
rectangular sinking. About 320 yards to the E. is a
round mound, about 34 yards in diameter and 2 ft.
high; it is crossed by a slight scarp making the S. half
higher than the N. half. Between these two earthworks
are seven rectangular 'pillow mounds' and one round
mound; the 'pillow mounds' vary from 12 to 24
yards in length, from 4 to 6 yards in width, and from 2½
to 4 ft. in height. In type they are precisely similar to
the so-called barrow in the camp at Midsummer Hill,
Eastnor, and have been considered by some authorities
to be artificial rabbit-warrens of no great age. They
are disposed in no order or alignment, and near the
middle of the group is the round mound, about 8 yards
in diameter and 2½ ft. high.
c(13). Fortified Mound (Plan, p. xxxiv), called the
Camp, 360 yards E.N.E. of the church, occupies the
top of a small hill. The earthwork consists of a roughly
oval-shaped mound surrounded by a ditch and with
slight traces of an inner bank and traces of a bank
beyond the ditch. On the N.E. side the ditch dies out
and there is a small terrace leading to an outer enclosure or base-court on the N.W. and a smaller
enclosure on the E. There are indications of a
triangular platform still farther to the E.