22 DORSTONE (B.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXXI, N.E., (b)XXXI, S.W., (c)XXXI,
S.E., (d)XXXII, N.W., (e)XXXII, S.W.)
Dorstone is a large parish 12 m. W. of Hereford.
Arthur's Stone and the earthworks of Dorstone Castle
are the principal monuments.
a(1). Arthur's Stone (Plate 89) on the top of a
ridge, nearly 1 m. N.N.E. of the church, is the chamber
and entrance-passage of a barrow from which the covering earth has been washed away or removed. The
actual chamber retains nine of the enclosing stones, but
only five of these now support the cap-stone. This
cap-stone, of irregular form, 19 ft. long by 11 ft. wide
and 1¾ ft. at its greatest thickness, has broken in half
and the northern part now rests on the ground. N. of
the chamber is a corridor, 2½ to 3 ft. wide, which makes
a right-angled bend 8 ft. N. of the cap-stone and continues some 11 ft. to the W.; the enclosing stones of
this corridor are mostly in position, but none of the
cover-stones remains. About 11 ft. S. of the chamber
are two more stones which probably mark the outer
boundary, in this direction, of the enclosing mound.
Traces of the mound remain around the chamber but
are insufficient to determine its precise form.
Condition—Good. In charge of H.M. Office of
c(2). Parish Church of St. Faith, was re-built in
1826, and again in 1889, but incorporates some features
from the earlier building.
Arthur's Stone, Dorstone Parish
The late 13th-century E. window is of four trefoiled
lights, with soffit-cusping and plain tracery in a two-centred head. The late 14th-century window in the E.
half of the S. wall of the chancel is of two trefoiled lights
with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head; the late 13th-century western window, in the same wall, is of two
trefoiled lights, with soffit-cusping in a two-centred
head. The N. chapel has a window in the N. wall
similar to the S.E. window in the chancel; in the W.
wall is a 13th-century lancet-window. The 13th-century tower-arch of white tufa is two-centred and of
two chamfered orders, the inner dying on to the
responds. The 14th-century S. doorway has stopped
jambs of two moulded orders and a two-centred head.
All the above have been more or less restored.
Fittings—Bells: four; 1st and 3rd by John Finch,
1650 and 1654; 2nd, inscribed in Lombardic capitals,
"Eternis annis resonet campana Johannis," probably
from Gloucester Foundry, 15th-century; 4th, dated
1639. Coffin-lids: In tower—lower part of slab with
part of inscription in Lombardic capitals and stem
of staff, late 13th-century. In rectory garden—defaced.
Communion Table: In rectory—with heavy turned legs
and enriched top rails, early 17th-century, top modern.
Font: octagonal stem and moulded base, early 14th-century, bowl modern. Inscription: In chancel—two
fragments of a stone sill (Plate 36), with a dedication-inscription in Lombardic capitals—"Johs. Br[ito]
. . . [capel]lam in honore bea[te] Marie . . . tre
MCCLV(I?)." Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In tower—on N. wall, (1) to Roger Smith, 1711,
and Elizabeth, his wife, 1712, oval tablet with scrolled
and carved border. In churchyard—S. side, (2) to
William Madey, 1703–4, low table-tomb; W. side,
(3) to Nicholas Wood, 1714–15, and Joice, his wife,
1691, flat slab; (4) to Anne, wife of Simon Gannell,
and to the wife of Thomas Bullock, 1707, low table-tomb. Floor-slabs: In nave—(1) to John Partridge,
1678; (2) to Margaret, wife of John Partridge,
1680; (3) to . . ., 1684–5. In tower—(4) to E.M.,
1694. Piscinæ: In chancel—recess (Plate 60) with
moulded jambs and two-centred outer order of arch,
cinque-foiled and sub-cusped inner order, springing
from corbel-shafts with moulded capitals, round and
octofoiled drains, late 13th-century, at back of recess
moulded bracket with dog-tooth ornament, mid
13th-century. In N. chapel—recess with trefoiled ogee
head and round drain, 14th-century, partly restored.
Plate: includes cup (Plate 57) and cover-paten of
1571, with bands of incised ornament, modern cross
on top of paten; in recess in chancel—coffin-chalice
(Plate 56) of pewter with knop and broad foot, late
13th-century. Recess: In chancel—in S. wall, low
recess with moulded jambs, segmental-pointed arch
and label, late 13th-century, partly restored, probably
tomb-recess. Scratchings: On S. doorway—masons'
marks. Stoup: In nave—W. of S. doorway, semi
hexagonal bracket with oval bowl, mediæval. Sundial:
On gate-piers of churchyard—two stone balls, one with
incised dial-figures, probably late 17th-century.
c(3). Dorstone Castle (Plan, p. xxxv), motte and
bailey earthwork, 300 yards S.W. of the church, stands in
a valley just E. of the village. The motte is of oval form,
67 yards by 61 yards across at the base; it has a flat
top rising about 28 ft. above the bottom of the surrounding dry ditch, which has an outer bank towards the
stream. The kidney-shaped bailey adjoins the motteditch on the N.E. and has remains of a ditch on its
S. side. The former scarp on the E. has been largely
destroyed by buildings and gardens. The area covered
by the motte and bailey is about 2½ acres.
b(4). Tump, 220 yards N.W. of Nant-y-Bar and 2¼ m.
W.S.W. of the church, is a circular mound 37 yards in
diameter rising 8½ to 12½ ft. above the bottom of the
surrounding ditch. There are traces of a rampart
round the top and of a small causeway crossing the
ditch on the N.E.
b(5). Tump (Plan, p. xxxv), at Mynydd-brith, 2 m. W.
of the church, consists of an oval mound, 34 yards by 32
yards, with a surrounding ditch and a scarped enclosure
to the S.W. The mound rises some 18 ft. above the
lowest level of the ditch, but the slopes on the N.W.
and S.W. have been cut into to form a footpath. The
ditch has been destroyed on the E. side, and on the N.
its place is taken by a berm and a steep natural slope.
The enclosure on the S.W. is flat and has a steep scarp
on the S. and W. and a natural slope on the N.
c(6). Village Cross (Plate 33), on the green, 160
yards S.W. of the church, has an octagonal stone shaft
set in a base with chamfered angles, and now level
with the ground. On the top of the shaft is a metal
sundial dated 1812.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys;
the walls are of rubble and the roofs are covered with
stone slates or modern material. Some of the buildings
have exposed ceiling-beams and old chimney-stacks.
Condition—Good or fairly good.
c(7). Cottage, two tenements, 120 yards S.S.W. of
the church, is partly of timber-framing with plaster
c(8). Millbrook, Chapel Row, two tenements, 40
yards E. of (7), is of late 17th or early 18th-century date,
and of T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the E. end.
c(9). Schoolhouse, on S. side of green, 180 yards S.W.
of the church, is said to be dated 1603, but this date is
now covered by ivy.
c(10). Dorstone Mill, 750 yards S.W. of the church,
is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards
the W. and S. It has a number of loop-lights.
c(11). Little Lanafon Farm, house, ¾ m. E. of the
church, is of late 17th or early 18th-century date, and
has a chimney-stack with four grouped shafts, set
c(12). Cross Lodge Farm, house, 1¼ m. E. of the
church, has later additions on the E. and N.
d(13). Bodcott Farm (Plate 17), house, about 1¾ m.
N.E. of the church, has some timber-framing. The E.
wing was built early in the 16th century, and the main
block extending to the W. is of rather later date. The
S. front has a timber-framed gable at the W. end, and
the upper storey of the earlier wing at the E. end
has exposed timber-framing. The porch has a timber-framed upper storey resting on two stone piers; the
outer entrance has a moulded lintel, and the W. side
has an original window with wood and iron bars set
diagonally. At the end of the original wing is a bay-window, with canted sides, chamfered frame, mullions
and transom. The N. and E. sides of the house have
timber-framed upper storeys. The W. chimney-stack
has three 17th-century shafts, set diagonally. Inside
the building, the S. room of the original block has
moulded ceiling-beams and chamfered joists; the
adjoining N. room has an old cider-mill. Projecting
from the E. side is a stone staircase. Other rooms have
a(14). Pen-y-moor, house, about 1 m. N.N.W. of the
church, has later additions on the N. and W. sides.
Inside the building is an original panelled screen with a
seat against it.
a(15). Whitehouse Farm, house, nearly 1½ m. N.W.
of the church, has a cross-wing at the E. end. The
chimney-stack, at the W. end, has two shafts set diagonally. Inside the building are two original doorways,
and, on the first floor, some original panelling with
a(16). Newhouse Farm, house, 80 yards S. of (15), is
c(17). Brynspard Farm, house, about 1¾ m. W. of the
church, was built late in the 16th or early in the 17th
century. The N. side has two windows with stone
labels; one of these windows is of five lights with
original mullions of wood. The doorway on the S.
side has a semi-circular stone porch. The W. chimney-stack has two shafts, one set diagonally. Inside the
building are some original panelled partitions.
b(18). Earthwork, 270 yards N.E. of Nant-y-Bar
and 2 m. W.S.W. of the church, consists of a bank 5 ft.
high and about 60 yards long, revetted on most of the
N. side with dry-stone walling. It crosses a slight