29 GOODRICH (E.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)LI, S.W., (b)LI, S.E., (c)LIV, N.W.,
Goodrich is a village and parish 5 m. S.W. of Ross
and 13½ m. S. of Hereford. The principal monuments
are the church, castle and Flanesford priory.
d(1). Parish Church of St. Giles, stands near the
middle of the N. part of the parish. The walls are of
local sandstone-rubble except those to the W. tower
and S. porch, which are of ashlar; the roofs are covered
with slate. The 13th-century N. arcade indicates the
existence of a church with a N. aisle at this date. Early
in the 14th century the W. bay of this arcade was
re-built, the N. arcade of the chancel built and the outer
walls of the Chancel, Nave, North Chapel and Aisle, built
or re-built; about the middle of the same century the
South Porch and West Tower were added. In the 17th
century the S. wall of the W. tower was re-built or
refaced. The Organ Chamber is modern. The building
has been restored in modern times.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel and Nave
(67¾ ft. by 17 ft.) are continuous and are structurally
undivided. The upper part of the E. wall has been
re-built and the S. wall has some modern refacing
externally. In the E. wall is a late 15th-century
window of five trefoiled ogee lights with vertical
tracery in a flat segmental-pointed head with a moulded
label; the mullions are modern. The N. arcade of
the chancel is in two bays and of early 14th-century
date; the arches are segmental-pointed and of two
orders, the outer chamfered and the inner rounded;
the two columns are octagonal and the E. respond semi-octagonal, all with moulded capitals and bases; the
arcade of the nave is of four bays and continuous with
that just described; it is of the 13th century, but the
two middle arches have been cut back and altered; the
other arches are two-centred and of two chamfered
orders; the two eastern columns are cylindrical, with
moulded capitals and bases; the third column is of the
14th century, like those of the chancel-arcade, and the
W. respond has a corbel-capital of the same date and
character. In the S. wall, at the E. end, is a modern
archway opening into the organ-chamber; farther W.
there are three windows, the easternmost is a 'low-side' window with a square head, now blocked and
probably of the 14th century, and the other two are both
modern as is also the S. doorway.
The North Aisle (15¾ ft. wide) has a modern E.
window. In the N. wall are three modern windows,
and between them are two old blocked windows; the
N. doorway is also blocked and has a four-centred head
probably of late 14th-century date. In the W. wall is a
mid 14th-century window of three trefoiled ogee lights
with net tracery in a two-centred head with a moulded
label with stops carved with bishops' heads; it has
some slight external repairs.
The West Tower (9 ft. square) is of late 14th-century
date and is in one stage surmounted by a tall octagonal
broach spire; internally it is of four storeys. Between
the nave and the tower is a doorway, re-built except the
chamfered N. jamb. In the N. wall is a doorway with
square jambs and flat ogee head. In the S. wall are
two small square-headed lights, one to the ground-storey and the other lighting the second storey. In the
W. wall, a former window to the first storey has been
converted into a doorway approached from the outside
by a flight of modern stone steps; the top storey has a
small square-headed light. The spire has, in each of
the cardinal faces, an original dormer window, each
formerly of two trefoiled ogee lights with a quatrefoil
in a two-centred head under a gabled top; all the
mullions, except to the E. window, are now missing.
The upper part of the spire is modern.
The South Porch was added about the middle of the
14th century. The outer entrance has jambs and two-centred arch of two wave-moulded orders. In the E.
wall is a window of two trefoiled ogee lights with a
quatre-foiled spandrel in a two-centred head, and to the
S. of it is a doorway with chamfered jambs and two-centred head. In the W. wall is an original window of
two uncusped ogee-headed lights.
Fittings—Bells: six, tenor mediæval and inscribed
in 'black-letter' "Ave Maria Gracia Plena"; 5th
with churchwardens' names and I.P. 1672. Churchyard
Cross: S.E. of porch, short length of octagonal shaft
with initials and date T.W., W. B., 1692, and a sundial
on stepped base. Door: In tower—to N. doorway
nail-studded, with ogee-shaped head and hung on two
strap-hinges. Glass: In N. aisle—in modern E.
window, incorporated with modern glass, fragments,
including, in heads of main lights, a few portions of
canopy-work; in tracery (a) angel holding quartered
shield-of-arms (1) and (4) Lisle, (2) and (3) Tyes;
(b) and (c) angels with modern heads holding a shield
of Cantilupe and a modern shield of the royal arms;
(d) angel holding quartered shield-of-arms in yellow
stain, (1) and (4) Talbot, (2) and (3) Le Strange;
(e) angel with spear and nails, head modern; (f) angel
with head modern holding crown of thorns, a staff
and a sponge, all 15th-century. Monuments and Floor-slab: Monuments: Under easternmost arch of arcade
(1) altar-tomb (Plate 44) apparently re-set and probably
shortened, with arcaded sides; N. and S. sides each in
four bays, E. end in one bay and W. end in three bays
with cinque-foiled two-centred arches with trefoiled two-centred arches with trefoiled spandrels and attached
shafts with simply foliated capitals and moulded bases
with continuous upper members; moulded top slab,
re-set upside down with W. end cut back, c. 1280. In
churchyard—E. of S. porch, (2) to Thomas Tovey,
1708, and Elizabeth, wife of Thomas Pa . . . 1682,
table-tomb (Plate 44) with moulded top slab, inscription-panel with festoon and E. end with cartouche-of-arms, W. end with two inscription-panels with partly
defaced inscriptions; S.W. of tower (3) to John Flecher,
1670, and Thomas Fletcher, 1699, table-tomb with
shaped consoles at angles and inscription-panels on sides
and ends; (4) to Thomas Fletcher, 1708, table-tomb of
similar design to (3); (5) to Joyce, daughter of John
Miles, 1677, headstone carved with strapwork and
bunches of grapes, on reverse side, to Judeth, daughter
of William Hannis (?), 1706; (6) to Alis, wife of
William Vaughan, 1678, and Thomas his son, 167.,
headstone carved with hour-glass, fleur-de-lis and
bunches of grapes; (7) to . . . er Richards, 1662–3,
headstone with partly defaced inscription; W. of
tower, (8) to Richard, son of Richard Dawyer, 1707,
headstone; S. of nave (9) to Edward Phelps, 1702,
headstone; (10) to William Banford, 1711, headstone;
by S. porch, (11) part of headstone dated 1609; S. of
chancel, (12) to Mary (?), daughter of John Edwards,
1708. Floor-slab: In church—under communion
table, to Thomas Swift, vicar, 1658, to Godwyn
Vaughan, 1684–5, and Martin Johnson, A.M., vicar,
1710. Plate: includes a cup (Plate 57) of 1617, with
baluster-stem and bowl covered with conventional
foliage and strapwork pattern in repoussé; upper part
of base inscribed "Jonath Swift, S.T.D., Decan Eccles
Sti. Patr. Dubln hunc calicem Eccles de Goderidge
sacrum voluit"; underside of base inscribed "Tho.
Swift hujus Eccles Vicar notus in historiis ob ea
quae fecit et passus est pro Caro 1 mo ex hoc calice
aegrotantibus propinavit Eundem calicē Ionath Swift,
S.T.D., Decan Eccles Sti. Patr. Dubln. Thomae ex filio
nepos huic Eccles in perpetuum dedicat 1726"; a
cup (Plate 57) inscribed "Warren Tyler, William
Boughan, Churchwardens, 1665," but without dateletter.
b(2). Goodrich Castle and moat, stands on the S.
bank of the Wye, on the N. side of the parish. The
walls are of local sandstone rubble and ashlar. The
earliest surviving work in the castle is the square keep,
on the S. side of the enclosure which was built c. 1160–
70. The castle is mentioned in the Pipe Roll of 1186.
A square enclosing wall with towers at the angles
was built round the keep early in the 13th century, and
of this work the E. curtain, the sedile in the chapel, and
the foundations of the S.W. tower still survive. The
castle was extensively re-built c. 1300, and to this date
belong the existing angle-towers, the chapel, gatehouse
and curtains, the internal domestic buildings and the
bridge. The addition of the outer ward with the
barbican followed soon after in the 14th century.
Various minor alterations, including a building W. of
the gatehouse, were made in the 15th century. From
early in the 14th century, the castle belonged to the
Talbots. During the Civil War it was held first for
the parliament by Captain Kyrle and afterwards for the
king by Sir Henry Lingen and was besieged and taken
in 1646. The defences were afterwards "slighted" by
order of the parliament, and the castle has ever since
remained in ruins. It is now in charge of H.M. Office
of Works, which has carried out extensive works of
repair and excavation within recent years.
The Castle is the most extensive ruin of its class in the
county and is an important example of military architecture.
The Keep (14 ft. square internally and 29 ft. square
externally) stands on the S. side of the inner enclosure
and was built c. 1160–70. It is of three stages
(Plate 98), is faced with ashlar and has clasping
buttresses of slight projection at the angles and a
pilaster buttress in the middle of each face. The
ground-stage has, in the E. wall, remains of an
original loop, and above it remains of an opening
broken through the wall. In the N. wall is a 15th
or 16th-century doorway, with chamfered jambs and
segmental-pointed head. The original entrance to the
keep is at the first-floor level, in the N. face, and
must have been approached by an external staircase; it
has a round arch of two plain orders with moulded or
chamfered external and internal labels; the jambs have
each two attached shafts with scalloped capitals and
moulded bases; the doorway is blocked and has a
window of two trefoiled lights inserted in the filling.
Between the first and second floors is a circular staircase
in the N.W. angle entered by a square-headed doorway,
with a segmental tympanum and a barrel-vaulted passage
with remains of a recess or garde-robe in the W. wall.
At the second-floor level is a string-course with
cheveron-ornament. In the E. wall, at this level, is a
doorway of c. 1300, with the head broken away; it
formerly communicated, by a bridge, with the S.E.
tower. The N. and W. walls have each an original
window of two round-headed lights in a round outer
order with a label; the jambs differ in the two windows
but both have cheveron-ornament and moulded
imposts; between the lights of the W. window is a
shafted pier, but this is missing in the N. window. The
doorway from the turret-staircase has a segmental
tympanum, with a groove on the face and a segmental
cutting on the soffit.
The Gatehouse (Plate 102), at the N.E. corner of the
building, is of c. 1300, and consists of a long gate-hall
flanked by the chapel on the S. and a round tower and
corridor on the N. The gate-hall is entered by a main
archway with rounded jambs and segmental-pointed
head; near the middle of the building is a second
segmental pointed archway of two orders, the inner
rounded and the outer chamfered; between these archways are two portcullis-grooves and a vaulted roof with
chamfered ribs and two slots. The inner archway has
three segmental-pointed ribs, and between it and the
middle arch is a higher vaulted roof with two chamfered
ribs. The extension on the outer face of the gatehouse
has a stone vault of which only the springers remain;
the S. springer of an added outer archway also remains.
In the S. wall is a raking joint, of doubtful purpose, built
up when the addition was made, and farther out are
the sockets for the roller-bearings of the drawbridge.
The first floor forms a room with a garde-robe in the
N.W. corner and a short passage in the N.E. corner
leading to the N.E. tower. The E. wall has remains
of the arrangements for raising and lowering the
portcullises. In the S. wall are remains of a fireplace.
In the W. wall is a window with a trefoiled head, and
on the outside face are the marks of the low gable of a
destroyed building, perhaps of the 15th century. In
the N. wall is a window-embrasure. The round tower,
on the N. of the gatehouse, stands on a square base with
battering spurs. The S.E. side of the tower has been
broken away. The ground floor contains a rectangular
apartment with a quadripartite vault and moulded ribs.
It is lit by a loop and two narrow windows and has a
fireplace with a pyramidal hood resting on corbelling.
The upper part of the tower is ruined. Extending
W. from the ground stage is a long corridor with a
barrel-vault and chamfered ribs; it terminates in a
The Chapel Tower is of three stages including the
basement and is of rectangular form with a round E.
end. It was built c. 1300. The E. end stands on a
square base with spurs at the E. angles. The room in
the basement has a semi-octagonal E. end with a narrow
window in the E. wall. The chapel itself (Plate 101),
on the ground floor, is of similar form to the basement.
In the E. wall are remains of a 15th-century window of
three trefoiled lights with vertical tracery in a segmental-pointed head; in the recess is the base of the altar.
Across the E. end, at the spring of the semi-octagonal
apse, is a segmental-pointed arch of two moulded orders,
the inner springing from moulded and shafted corbels.
In the N.E. wall of the apse is a locker with rebated
jambs, square head and a shelf. In the S.E. wall is a
piscina with a trefoiled head, grooves for a shelf and a
broken drain; adjoining it is a re-set 13th-century sedile
(Plate 60) with a trefoiled head, under a round moulded
label; the jamb-shafts have gone but the moulded caps
remain. In the N. wall is a large embrasure with a
small square-headed window opening into the gatehall; in the W. side of the embrasure is a staircase
leading up to a timber gallery, added in the 15th century,
at the W. end of the chapel and also to the building
added to the W. of the gatehouse. Farther W. in the
side walls are the two 15th-century corbels, carved with
angels holding shields, which supported the front of the
gallery; below them are the two 15th-century piscinae,
which served the two altars, W. of the screen; they
have trefoiled ogee heads. In the S. wall is a window-embrasure with a segmental-pointed head of two
chamfered orders and a chamfered rib behind it; on the
E. reveal are traces of red painting; the window is of
one trefoiled light; a second embrasure, farther W., is
larger, with a skewed opening to a trefoil-headed
window in the E. curtain. In the W. wall is a 15th-century window of three trefoiled lights in a segmental-pointed head with a moulded label; the W. doorway,
of c. 1300, has jambs and triangular head of two moulded
orders. The third stage is partly ruined but retains
portions of window-embrasures and, in the N. wall,
part of a fireplace with a stone hood; in the W. wall
is a window of one trefoiled light. At the S.W. angle
of the building is a turret-staircase.
The East Curtain is of early 13th-century date, up to
the sills of the ground-floor windows; it was heightened c. 1300, and again, by the addition of a parapet, in
the 15th century; projecting from it is a large garderobe tower of c. 1300, and against the internal face of the
wall was a long rectangular building. This building,
of c. 1300, was originally of one storey, with the wall
walk included under its pent-roof; probably in the
15th century an additional storey was built with a low-pitched gabled roof and a lead flat at the back of the
added parapet of the curtain. In the northern part
of the wall are three window-embrasures of c. 1300,
and below two of them are the remains of a 13th-century loop; between the two southern windows are
the remains of a 15th-century fireplace with a hearth.
The three garde-robes are set in a projection with
splayed angles on a rectangular base; the southernmost
has rounded jambs and the others chamfered jambs, all
with segmental-pointed heads; there was a fourth
garde-robe on the level of the parapet. The upper part
of the curtain is badly ruined but contains remains of
embrasures and cruciform loops. The inner wall of
this range has been largely destroyed, but retains the
bases of three doorways; within the area is a large
square tank, and at the S. end is an oven, which blocks a
skewed opening, commanding the courtyard and the
doorway to the S.E. tower.
The South-East Tower (Plate 99) is of c. 1300, round
externally, with a rectangular wing at the back and
standing on a square base with high spurs; it is of
three stages with a string-course below the parapet.
The interior is of octagonal form, the basement-stage
being lit by loops in square-headed external recesses,
towards the E. and S. The second stage has windowembrasures with seats, towards the N. and W.; on
the W. splay of the N. embrasure are carved a hart
and a swan, and on the N. splay of the W. embrasure
a large figure of a man (Plate 40) in late 14th-century
costume, with a falcon on the right wrist; at his
feet is a dog; W. of the N. embrasure is a trefoil-headed recess with a drain. In the S.E. side are
the remains of a fireplace with a stone hood. The
third stage is reached by a staircase on the W. external
face, formerly covered by a roof. It contains the
remains of a fireplace, in the E. wall, similar to that in the
stage below, and a drain, with a trefoiled head, above
that in the stage below. There are two windowembrasures, and the doorway from the external stair
has rounded jambs and triangular head. In the N.W.
angle is a staircase leading to the parapet-walk. The
parapet of the rectangular wing remains and is pierced
The South Curtain is brought out to a point mid-way
between the angle-towers; the short stretches of wall
adjoining the angle-towers were built with them, but
the salient middle portion is of another build, of
slightly later date, and has a deep battering plinth;
the E. side-portion contains a window. The middle
part has remains of a window-embrasure and a turret-staircase. The space between the curtain and the keep
was roofed in and approached by a corridor adjoining the
S.E. angle of the keep. Against the E. face of the keep
is a building of c. 1300, formerly of two storeys. The
lower storey, or dungeon, is below ground-level and
is approached by a narrow passage and staircase with
two doorways at the N. end. The room itself has a
segmental-pointed barrel-vault with cross-ribs of
rounded section. The room above has been destroyed,
but the marks of the pent-roof remain on the S. wall.
The space between the keep and the S.W. tower was
the kitchen and has a fireplace, flanked by ovens, in the
S. wall; at the back of the E. oven is a third oven
partly destroyed by a later furnace, between the keep
and the curtain. In the W. wall are arrangements for
a tank and sink.
The South-West Tower is of c. 1300, round externally
and standing on a restored square base with spurs. It
is of three stages, semi-octagonal internally and closed in
towards the N. by a wall. Below the existing tower are
the foundations of a 13th-century tower, also round
externally but of smaller diameter; it bears the impression of former bond-timbers. The basement-stage is
approached by a staircase in the N. wall, opening into
the hall. This stage has two embrasures, that in the
W. wall being transformed into a doorway, in the 15th-century: this doorway communicated with a spiral
staircase, of the same date, leading down into the outer
ward. The ground or second stage has two loopembrasures commanding the adjoining curtains and
two window-embrasures with stone seats. The N.
wall has two doorways opening to the hall; they have
jambs and segmental-pointed heads of two orders,
the outer chamfered and the inner rounded; the doorways are set in a shallow recess with a segmental-pointed head. The third stage is approached by a
staircase on the E. face of the tower. In the N. wall
is a passage leading to a garde-robe at the N.W. angle,
and to the parapet-walk of the W. curtain. In the N.W.
wall is a trefoil-headed recess with a drain; there are
remains of two window-embrasures, and, on the S. side,
the remains of a fireplace with a stone hood; the jambs
and corbels are moulded. A fourth stage, above the
garde-robe passage, has three windows, and in the N.
wall a staircase to the parapet.
The West Curtain is of c. 1300, and has lost most of
its external face; the construction of this face is similar
to that of the S. curtain, the middle portion, equating
with the hall, having a battered plinth and being of
slightly different date from the end-portions, which
were built with the adjoining angle-towers; projecting
from the middle is a large buttress, at the back of the
fireplace, with an additional buttress, below it, of later
date. S. of the buttress are two windows each of one
trefoiled light with a transom; N. of the buttress are
remains of a similar window. These windows lit the
Great Hall (65 ft. by 27½ ft.) which adjoins the southern
part of the curtain; at the back of the buttress are
remains of a fireplace with a corbelled hood. In the
inner wall, the doorway, at the S. end, has jambs and
triangular head of two orders, the inner rounded and
the outer chamfered, with a moulded label; farther N.
are two windows and the remains of a third; they had
segmental-pointed heads and moulded labels. Some
of the moulded roof-corbels remain in both walls. The
N. wall is not bonded into the curtain; it has a late
14th-century inserted doorway with moulded jambs and
segmental-pointed head, and opens into a vestibule
containing a staircase leading down to the basement
storey of the N. range; above this room was a small
chapel, of which the trefoil-headed piscina and part of
the sedile remain, in the S. wall; in the outer or curtainwall are the remains of garde-robes.
The North-West Tower is of c. 1300, and of three
stages, generally similar in form to the other angletowers. The tower was severely damaged in the
siege and the outer face has largely fallen. The lowest
stage has remains of a fireplace in the E. wall and of
two window-embrasures. The second stage has
remains of two window-embrasures, but of the third
stage only the junctions with the curtains remain.
The North Curtain is of c. 1300, and is pierced by
three single-light windows, all formerly with trefoiled
heads, and, in one case, a transom. At a lower level is
a sally-port with an outer doorway with rounded jambs
and triangular head and, on the inner face, two chamfered arches, a portcullis-groove and the rebate and
hook for an inner door. Within the western part of
the curtain is a two-storeyed building (Plate 100), with
an opening into the N.W. tower. It has a cross-wall
near the N. end carried on two arches and a central pier
carried down through both storeys. The basementstorey contains the entrance to the sally-port; in the S.
wall, near the E. end, is a trefoil-headed recess, with a
sink and arrangements for a feed-pipe. The ground-storey formed a large solar, entered at the W. end of the
S. wall by a doorway with jambs and segmental-pointed
arch of two orders, the inner rounded and the outer
chamfered. The arcade which forms a sort of screen,
near the W. end, has two segmental-pointed arches of
two moulded orders with a common relieving arch and
label over the two arches; the arches spring from
moulded corbels and an octagonal central pier with a
moulded capital and base. Between the E. end of the
hall and the gatehouse, was a two-storeyed building,
added in the 15th century to connect the solar and the
chapel. In the S. wall was a large open arch of which
the bases of the two semi-octagonal responds remain.
The Courtyard, in the middle of the castle, is of roughly
rectangular form and had covered walks along the E.
and W. sides. Against the N. range is a large rectangular well, sunk 169 ft. below the courtyard-level.
The Outer Defences of the castle consist of an outer
ward on the W. and N. fronts and a barbican covering
the approach to the gatehouse. The Barbican is of semi-circular plan and was built in the 14th century. It is
entered on the S. by a small gatehouse flanked by round
turrets faced with ashlar. In the outer part are three
slots for the counterpoises of the drawbridge and in
the E. wall is the socket for the drawbridge-pivot. E.
of the gatehouse is a small chamber, with the remains
of a window commanding the entrance. In the wall
on the N.E. of the barbican are remains of a garde-robe.
Between the barbican and the main gatehouse is a
sloping Causeway and a bridge (Plate 103) of two spans,
the latter of early 14th-century date; the eastern span
has segmental-pointed arches, of three chamfered orders
with a label; the roadway rests on an arch of the same
form, with chamfered ribs. The inner span has a half
arch only butting against the gatehouse; the outer
walls only are continued across, the space between being
spanned by a drawbridge; built into the S. arch is a
screen-wall, probably of later 14th-century date; it
contains a doorway with a shouldered head. The three
slots for the counterpoises of the drawbridge have been
filled in, at a later date, and corbelling inserted for a
permanent wooden bridge.
The Outer Ward is enclosed by much ruined walls of
the 14th century, with small drum-towers at the S.W.
and N.W. angles. In the S.W. tower are remains of a
garde-robe; the N.W. tower was rather larger and
contained a polygonal chamber. Within the ward, on
the W. side, are remains of stable-buildings.
Within the castle are preserved numerous worked
and moulded stones including the joggled voussoirs of
an arch, 13th-century capitals, 15th-century spandrels of
window heads, carved with angels, a dragon, etc. A
few fragments of slip-tiles and painted glass are also
The Moat is rock-cut and is carried round the S. and
E. faces of the castle, the N. and W. faces being defended
by the steep slopes of the ground. The moat has an
average width of 90 ft., and an average depth of 28 ft.
A small subsidiary ditch or moat is carried round the
barbican; it is about 17 ft. wide.
Condition—Good, in charge of H.M. Office of
d(3). Flanesford Priory (Plate 104), buildings and
fish-pond, stands ½ m. N.E. of the church. The priory
of St. John the Baptist was a small house of canonsregular of St. Augustine, founded in 1346, by Sir Richard
Talbot. The surviving building flanked the S. side of
the cloister and has a projecting S. wing adjoining the
E. end; it is now used as a barn. The walls are of local
sandstone rubble and ashlar with dressings of the same
material and the roofs are covered with tiles. The main
building, formerly of two storeys, was probably the
frater-range, the frater being on the first floor; it has,
however, certain unusual features, such as the entrance
at the W. end and the fireplace, which make this attribution doubtful. That the cloister lay to the N. of it is
proved by the survival of the weathering and corbels of
its roof; its extent is probably represented by the
existing quadrangle of the farm-buildings.
The Main Building (76¼ ft. by 24¾ ft.) is of mid 14th-century date, and is now of one storey except at the E.
end where a framed partition and two floors, of the
16th century, have been inserted. The ground floor
has in the E. wall an original square-headed window.
In the N. wall is a modern barn doorway, and farther W.
is a small square-headed window. The weathering of
the cloister-roof extends the whole length of the wall,
and below it are the corbels of the wall-plate; at the
E. end is the broken junction of a wall formerly running
N. In the S. wall, at the E. end, is a blocked doorway
with a square head; there are remains of a second
doorway farther W. and two square-headed windows,
of two lights; beyond these is the modern barndoorway; near the W. end of the wall is a single-light square-headed window. In the W. wall is a
doorway with a shouldered head. The first floor has
in the E. wall a window formerly of two cinque-foiled
lights with tracery in a two-centred head with a moulded
rear-arch; the mullion is missing. In the N. wall, near
the E. end, are remains of a single-light window, and
farther W. a fireplace with moulded jambs and a broken
stone hood resting on corbels of grouped shafts with
capitals; the hearth rests on corbelling, beyond it are
the remains of a 15th-century window of three trefoiled
lights in a square head and a 14th-century window of one
cinque-foiled light. At the E. end of the S. wall is a
doorway with a two-centred head; farther W. is a
range of four 14th-century windows each originally of
two trefoiled lights with quatre-foiled tracery in a two-centred head; all the mullions are missing, and of the
westernmost window only part of the head remains;
between the two easternmost windows is a niche with
a cinque-foiled head. In the W. wall, now covered by a
modern building, is a 14th-century doorway (Plate 13)
with moulded jambs, two-centred arch and label; flanking it are niches with cinque-foiled heads and moulded
labels; beyond the niches and at a higher level are
windows with two-centred heads, partly blocked and
partly cut away; above the doorway and niches are the
corbels for a former roof. The 16th-century roof of the
E. part of the building is of queen-post type.
Goodrich, Flanesford Priory
The South Wing is of two storeys. The ground floor
has a doorway with a square head, and above it are two
doorways; these were contained in a narrow building,
running E., of which the start of the side remains.
Farther S. is a blocked square-headed window in the
lower storey. The S. end has two square-headed
windows, the lower blocked. In the thickness of the
W. wall is a staircase entered by a doorway, with a
shouldered head at the ground-floor level; the staircase is lit by two windows and a quatre-foiled opening.
The Fish-pond lies to the S.W. of the house.
d(4). Vicarage, house, 60 yards S.E. of church, is of
two storeys with attics and cellar. The walls are of
ashlar and sandstone rubble and the roofs are covered
with slates. The house has been extensively modernised, but the S.E. block was probably built in the 17th
century. The S. front of this block appears to have
been refaced with ashlar early in the 18th century.
Above the doorway is a carved shield-of-arms, perhaps
for Starkie. Inside the building are some chamfered
Condition—Good, much altered.
d(5). Cottage (Plate 22), 100 yards S.W. of church,
is of two storeys; the walls are of stone rubble and
ashlar, and plastered timber-framing; the roofs are of
stone and modern slates. It was built in the first half
of the 17th century and extended later in the same
century, when the E. front was refaced with ashlar.
The building has been modernised and there is a
modern addition at the N. end. The W. front has
some exposed timber-framing enclosing a window and
blocked doorway. Inside the building there are some
stop-chamfered ceiling-beams and exposed timber-framing.
d(6). Old Court, house, 150 yards S.W. of the
church, is of two storeys, with cellars; the walls are of
stone rubble and timber-framing and the roofs are
covered with modern slates. There is documentary
evidence of an earlier building on the site, the present
L-shaped house dating from late in the 16th century;
there are modern additions on the E., S. and W. The
E. and W. ends of the N. wing have exposed timber-framing; the doorway at the E. end of the S. wall of
this wing has an original square frame. The N. wall
has been restored, but towards the W. end are two small
two-light windows with moulded heads and mullions.
Inside the building there are some stop-chamfered
ceiling-beams and exposed timber-framing. The barn,
S.W. of the house, has a re-used 16th-century door with
large ornamental strap-hinges.
(7). Geddes, house, about 1 m. N.N.W. of the
church, is of two storeys with attics and cellars. The
walls are of local stone ashlar and rubble, and plastered
timber-framing; the roofs are covered with slates.
The middle block of the house is of mid 16th-century
date; the S. wing was added c. 1630–40, and the first
floor was partly re-built towards the end of the century.
The N. wing, incorporating the N.E. angle of the
earlier building, and the staircase in the S. wing are
modern. The W. front of the original building is of
rubble and has a doorway at the N. end with a segmental-pointed head; the doorway to the S. has a square-moulded label and a 16th-century door with six moulded
panels; the window between the doors has a moulded
label, and over the N. door are two small blocked
square-headed windows. The N. face of the S. wing
is of ashlar with moulded strings above and below the
first floor; the doorway has moulded jambs and square
head. The S. side of this wing is of ashlar with similar
strings above and below the first floor, which is of later
date than the ground floor; some of the window
frames are of c. 1700, and the original doorway has been
fitted with a modern window. The chimney-stacks at
the E. and W. ends of the wing have diagonal shafts.
Inside the building the middle block has exposed
timber-framing and stop-chamfered beams and joists.
The W. room in the S. wing has a plaster ceiling with a
moulded cornice carried round the ceiling-beams;
above the fireplace is a plaster ornament of two laurel
wreaths in square moulded panels and a festoon of
drapery above; all of c. 1630–40. On the first floor is
a similar plaster ceiling. There is some exposed
timber-framing in this wing. Both wings have roofs
of queen-post construction.
a(8). Newhouse Farm (Plate 105), now three tenements, 1,100 yards W.N.W. of the church, is of three
storeys with cellars. The walls are of sandstone rubble
with ashlar dressings; some of the internal walls are
timber-framed; the roofs are covered with modern
slates. The house is dated 1636, and was built as
the vicarage by the Rev. Thomas Swift. The plan
is Y-shaped with the wings radiating N., S.E. and
S.W. At the end of the S.W. wing is a semi-octagonal projecting bay, and against the N.E. side of
the S.E. wing is a two-storeyed porch. West of the
N. wing is a two-storeyed late 17th-century addition
which replaced an earlier addition; there is a low
modern extension to this wing. The interior has
recently been altered for use as three tenements; the
walls have been lowered and the roofs re-built. The
building has a chamfered plinth and moulded stringcourses. The windows are of one to four lights with
square heads. The main entrance is through the two-storeyed porch (Plate 14) in the N.E. wall of the S.E.
wing; the upper floor is carried on two monolithic Doric
columns; the abaci are inscribed T (?) P., S.S., 1636.
The porch roof is modern; the doorway has moulded
jambs and a four-centred arch in a square-head. The
two-storeyed late 17th-century addition to the N. wing
has a gable with a flat coping having shaped corbels
at the lower ends. The walls incorporate old material
and, on the first floor, there is a three-light window.
Goodrich, Newhouse Farm
The S.W. wing has a modern doorway at its junction
with the N. wing. The S.W. wall has a square-headed
doorway with chamfered jambs to the basement; the
three upper floors of the projecting bay have, in each
face, square-headed windows with chamfered jambs
having three, two and one lights. The main wall-face
is gabled with shaped corbels. The doorway in the S.E.
wing has stop-chamfered jambs and four-centred head.
Inside the building there is a fireplace with a four-centred arched head and chamfered jambs; above are
two shaped corbels supporting the stone breast to the
fireplace above. The ceiling-beams are stop-chamfered.
The staircase retains the original steps and panelled
casing. In the N. wall of the late 17th-century addition
is a doorway with a stop-chamfered frame; the door
has vertical moulded battens with strap hinges. The
first floor has some exposed timber-framing and stop-chamfered door-frames. In the ground floor of the
S.W. wing there is a chamfered beam and, across the
opening to the bay, a moulded beam. The second-floor fireplace is of stone and has a four-centred head.
c(9). Old Mill, ¾ m. W. of church, is of three
storeys; the walls are of sandstone rubble and the roof
is covered with corrugated iron. It is a rectangular
building dating from the 17th century, but largely
re-built with old material; the eastern end is mostly
original. It is now used as a barn, and the mill is not in
working order. Inside the building there are stop-chamfered joists and a collar-beam roof with side
c(10). Barn, at Old Forge on the River Wye, nearly
1 m. S.W. of the church, is of two storeys; the walls
are of sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings and brick;
the roofs are covered with stone slates. It was built in
the first half of the 17th century; later in the same
century the roof was carried down over a one-storeyed
extension on the E. side. The doorway on the W. front
has chamfered jambs and segmental head and is fitted
with a 17th-century nail-studded door. The two-light
windows have wooden frames and mullions. The
ceiling-beams are stop-chamfered and the roof is of
collar-beam construction with chamfered purlins.
c(11). Huntsham Court, house and barn, about 1¼
m. S.S.W. of the church. The house is of three storeys
and basement; the walls are of ashlar and the roofs are
covered with modern slates. The house was begun c.
1620–30 on an L-shaped plan, with a porch on the W.
side of the S. wing. A few years later a gabled addition
was built on the E. side and a wing added to the S. and
W. At the end of the 17th century a gabled extension
was built in the N.E. angle and the existing block S. of
the main S. wing either added or re-built. Early in the
18th century additions were made to the N.E. and S.W.
The passage at the S.E. corner is modern, and there have
been modern alterations to the interior. The main
entrance is through a small porch, reached by a flight
of steps in the middle of the original S. wing. The
porch (Plate 13) is open on three sides, each having a
chamfered three-centred arch carried on circular columns
and semi-circular responds, all with moulded caps and
bases and with a deep-moulded cornice above. The
doorway has moulded jambs and four-centred head
and is fitted with a nail-studded door. N. of the door
is a square-headed five-light window with chamfered
jambs and square-moulded label; the basement and
first-floor windows are similar, but the basement has no
label. The N. and E. fronts of the N. wing have the
original windows to the basement, ground and first
floors with similar detail to those on the W. front; the
mid 17th-century addition has windows similar to
those of the original building. The chimney-stack at
the E. end has a moulded capping. The E. wall of the
early 18th-century addition at the N.E. corner has a
square-headed bolection-moulded doorway. The original S. front is partly hidden by the late 17th-century
addition. It and the addition have windows similar
to those already described, as has also the mid 17th-century wing.
Inside the building, the middle portion originally had
a large hall, now divided by modern partitions. Part
of the original ceiling, with moulded panels enclosing
fleurs-de-lis, remains, and in the westernmost room of
the N. wing there is a similar ceiling with two moulded
beams. In the basement are some stop-chamfered
The Barn, E. of the house, is of the same date and
built of ashlar, repaired with rubble; the roofs are of
modern tiles. The N. wall has a door with a segmental-pointed head and, to the W., a two-light window
with a wooden frame, and a blocked window to the top
stage. The E. and S. walls have blocked windows, and
the W. wall has a square-headed two-light stone window
and part of a small re-used bull's-eye window.
c(12). House, about 80 yards S.W. of (11), is of three
storeys with attics; the walls are of roughly coursed
and squared sandstone and the roof is of corrugated iron.
It is a rectangular building dating from c. 1620–30, but
is now gutted and used as a barn. At the apex of the
E. gable is a square chimney-stack with a diagonal
shaft with a moulded capping. The doorway in the E.
wall has a square head, and the first floor has a square-headed window of two lights with a moulded label.
The N. wall has a blocked square-headed three-light
window; above is a blocked three-light window and a
two-light window. In the middle is a large gabled
dormer, with a flat coping and gable pinnacle, enclosing
a bull's-eye window. The W. wall has a blocked
three-light window to the ground floor, a two-light
window to the first floor, and a bull's-eye window in the
gable. The S. wall has similar three-light windows,
and on the second floor a two-light window in a gabled
dormer. Inside the building there is a fireplace in the
E. wall at first-floor level, with chamfered jambs and
square head, and carried on shaped stone corbels.
Some of the original stop-chamfered beams remain;
the roof is of collar-beam construction.
c(13). The Stalls, house, about 300 yards N. of
(11), is of two storeys; the walls are of roughly squared
and coursed sandstone-rubble and timber-framing and
the roof is covered with modern slates. It is of mid
17th-century date with a modern one-storeyed addition
on the S. side. The W. wall has exposed timber-framing and two blocked square-headed three-light
windows. Inside the building is a stop-chamfered
ceiling-beam and exposed joists.
c(14). Barn, a few yards N. of (13), is of two storeys;
the walls are of sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings
and timber-framing, and the roof is covered with stone
slates; it was built in the 17th century. The building
is open on the E. side except for a timber-framed
partition. The N. wall is pierced by three rows of looplights. Inside the building the first floor is carried on
two cambered and stop-chamfered tie-beams and two
square stop-chamfered vertical posts. The roof has
tie-beams, trussed rafters and collars.
c(15). Rudge's Barn, 200 yards N. of (14), is partly
of one and partly of two storeys. The walls are of
sandstone-rubble with ashlar dressings and timber-framing with brick nogging and weather-boarding;
the roofs are of stone slates and modern slates. The
original building was rectangular with a N.W. porch
and was built in the first half of the 17th century. A
two-storey wing was added on the N.E., probably in
1693; low later additions were built on each side of the
porch and the roof carried down over them; the
roofing on the N.E. is now missing. The S.W. gable
has a bull's-eye window and the walls are pierced with
loops. At the N. corner of the N.E. wing is a stone
inscribed R. U. 1693. The roof to the main building
is in five bays with tie-beams, trussed rafters and collars.
d(16). Mainoaks, house and barn, 700 yards E. of
(15), and nearly 1 m. S. of the church. The House is of
two storeys and basement; the walls are of sandstonerubble with ashlar dressings, and some timber-framing;
the roofs are covered with slates. It is of 15th-century
origin, and a crutch and part of the E. wall remain of
this date; in the 16th century it was almost entirely
re-built on an L-shaped plan. The S. wing was added
early in the next century, and towards the end of the
century the E. wall was partly refaced and a stair
inserted in the S. end of the building; modern additions
and alterations include a W. extension to the S. wing
and a low extension to the S. of the E. wing. At the
E. end of the S. front is an inserted late 17th-century
ashlar chimney-stack with a moulded capping. The
E. end of the E. wall has exposed timber-framing; the
rest of this wall is probably mediæval in origin, but
has been refaced with 17th-century ashlar; a gabled
dormer with a two-light square-headed window was
inserted in the 17th century. Near the E. end of the
S. wall of the N.E. wing is a segmental-headed window
with eight diamond-shaped wooden mullions. Inside
the building there is a considerable amount of exposed
timber-framing and some stop-chamfered ceiling-beams
and joists. The late 17th-century staircase at the
S. end of the house has moulded string and turned
balusters. At the E. end of the E. wing is a fireplace
with a wide flat arch. On the first floor of the S. wing
at the head of the stairs is a 17th-century panelled door
and a strip of re-used carved frieze with the date 1629.
Spanning the building on the S. side of the main
chimney is a large truss built up on a mediæval crutch
which springs from the ground floor and forms a
rough two-centred arch beneath the present roof; at
the S. end of the house the wind-braced roof has
collars and side purlins; the E. wing has a tie-beam,
king-post and collar.
The Barn, N. of the house, is of 16th-century date
with an early 17th-century extension on the S. The
walls are of roughly squared and coursed ashlar, and
rubble and the roofs are covered with tiles and slates.
Some of the original windows are blocked; the remaining ones have four or five lights with diamond-shaped
mullions of wood; the upper range in the E. wall are
loop-lights. The W. door has monolithic head and
jambs. The N. gable has a bull's-eye window. The
roof is in four bays with trusses of queen-post type.
The 17th-century addition has, in the W. wall, two two-light square-headed windows. In the S. wall is a door
to the first floor with an elliptical head, and a two-light
square-headed window similar to that in the W. wall.
The roof is of collar beam and side-purlin construction.