32 HAYWOOD (D.c.).
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXXIX, N.E., (b)XXXIX, S.E.)
Haywood is a small parish, 3 m. S.W. of Hereford.
b(1). Haywood, house and outbuildings, in the S.
part of the parish. The House is of two storeys, the
walls are mainly of stone and the roofs are covered
with slates. It was built probably in the 17th century
and was originally timber-framed, but was partly stonecased and added to in the 18th century. On the W.
side is a late 17th or early 18th-century window of three
transomed lights. The walls of the malt-house, projecting to the E., have been faced with brick. Inside
the building some of the ceiling-beams are exposed.
The Stable, W. of the house, is of early 18th-century
date and of two storeys with attics; the walls are of
stone and the ceiling-beams are exposed. Between it
and the house is a garden-wall with two early 18th-century gate piers, finished with entablatures and ballterminals. The Pigeon-house, S.W. of the house, is a
square building of brick of c. 1690, with a pyramidal
roof and a wooden lantern or cote. A few feet below
the eaves is a moulded string-course. The brick wall
surrounding the orchard is also of 17th-century date.
Condition—Of house, good.
a(2). Cottage, at the foot of the E. slope of Merry
Hill and 1½ m. N.N.E. of (1), is of two storeys, timber-framed with brick filling; the roofs are tiled. It was
built in the 17th century and has been partly refaced
with brick. Inside the building are exposed ceiling-beams and joists.
a(3). Cottage, E. of Merry Hill Cottages and 750
yards N.N.W. of (2), is of two storeys, partly of stone
and partly of timber-framing with brick filling; the
roofs are covered with slates. It was built in the 17th
century and has exposed ceiling-beams.