37 KENTCHURCH (C.d.).
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XLIV, S.E., (b)XLV, S.W.,
Kentchurch is a large parish, 10¼ m. S.W. of Hereford. The principal monuments are Kentchurch
Court and Pontrilas Court.
c(1). Parish Church of St. Mary, was re-built in
1859. The church contains, from the old building,
Fittings—Chair: in chancel—with turned side-posts to back, scrolled cresting and arms, partly turned
front legs and scrolled front rail, late 17th-century.
Churchyard Cross: S.E. of porch—square base only
in situ; lower part of octagonal shaft now lying loose
near chancel, mediæval. Monuments and Floor-slabs.
—Monuments: in chancel—in recess in N. wall,
(1) of John Scudamore, 1616, erected by Amy (Starkie)
his wife (Plate 53), reclining alabaster effigy of man
in armour and holding a book, below, free-stone effigy
of woman in widow's veil and holding a book, at sides
kneeling figures of eight sons and one daughter, also
an infant; on wall at back, inscription-panels and two
shields-of-arms. In tower—on N. wall; (2) to Edward
Jackson, 1694, oval marble tablet; (3) to Lucy, infant
daughter of William Scudamore, 1703–4, also to John
Scudamore, 1713, inscribed slab. Floor-slabs: in nave
—(1) to RCH, 1707; (2) with part of incised cross,
fragment only; (3) to . . ., 1694, with shield-of-arms. Table: in vestry—gate-legged table, early 18th-century.
c(2). Tump (Plan, p. xxxiv), E. of Bowlston Court
Wood and nearly 1 m. N.N.E. of the church, is a
roughly oval mound, 50 ft. by 43 ft., surrounded by
a dry ditch except on the S.W. where there is a natural
slope towards the brook. The mound has an average
height of 12 ft. above the bottom of the ditch and
traces of a causeway on the N.E. side; S. of this
causeway a short length of the outer scarp of the
ditch forms an isolated bank with a slight ditch on the
three outer sides. On the top of the mound are three
c(3). Homestead Moat, in park, 100 yards S.E. of
church, is of regular rectangular form with a wet
ditch and an entrance on the N.E. side.
c(4). Fish Ponds, flanking brook, ¼ m. E. of church,
form of series of shallow basins and dams across the
brook, the dams now cut through.
c(5). Kentchurch Court (Plate 165), house and
tower, ¼ m. N.E. of church. The house is of three
storeys and the tower of five; the walls are of local
sandstone rubble and ashlar; the roofs are covered
with slates and lead. The form of the earliest building
on the site is not now recoverable, but in the middle
of the 14th century there appears to have been a
fortified enclosure to the S.E. of the house, of which
a large Gateway survives on the S. side. The Tower
at the N.W. angle of the building was built perhaps
late in the 14th century, and there are traces of the
junction of a building on its E. face, in advance of
the existing chapel. Rubble walling in other parts
of the building may be of equally early date but
retains no definite evidence of its age. The walls of
the one-storeyed range, originally stables or outbuildings, running W. from the S. end of the building are
possibly contemporary with the tower. A staircase
was added and doorways inserted on the S. side of the
tower c. 1500. The House has some 16th-century work
in the E. wing, and some parts of the walling at the
S. end of the main corridor appear to be of this date.
The building was enlarged and partly re-built in the
17th century, and in 1824 it was remodelled by Nash,
and the top-storey of the tower is modern.
The E. front, except the portion S. of the porch,
has been refaced in comparatively recent years. The
17th-century block is of ashlar with a moulded string-course at the first-floor level. The lower walls of the
eastern half of the N. front are of rubble, the upper
walls have been refaced. The middle bay is modern.
The N. side of the tower is of coursed rubble with ashlar
dressings. The chimney-projection is an insertion, but
there is an original window with a square head and
label, now blocked; traces of a similar window remain
at a lower level, near the E. angle. At the level of
the third stage there is a projecting garde-robe carried
on shaped corbels. The W. side of the tower has a
small square-headed loop to the basement and a small
blocked window in the fifth stage; the other windows
are modern. The small segmental turret in the angle
between the tower and the west wing has been refaced.
There is some original rubble in the wall of the two-storeyed W. range, but the greater part has been refaced.
There is also some exposed timber-framing of early
17th-century date above the E. end of the modern
kitchen. The S. side of the tower has a small square-headed window to a wall-passage. The upper window
and circular stair-turret are modern or re-built.
The Gateway, S.W. of the house, is of mid 14th-century date and has moulded jambs, two-centred
arch and label; it is flanked by buttresses and has a
Interior—Practically the whole of the interior,
except the tower, is modern or has been cased with
modern work. The fireplace in the N.E. wing has a
re-set surround and overmantel of early 17th-century
work, from Pontrilas Court. Re-set in the window of
the Chapel is some 16th-century glass consisting of
four roundels (1) in a circular chaplet of foliage a
shield-of-arms, Capel impaling party fessewise argent
and vert three leeks counter-coloured; (2) feathered chaplet
enclosing a shield of Baskerville; (3) chaplet of
foliage with shield-of-arms, Baskerville impaling (or)
gules a fesse (or) between three scallops argent; (4) chaplet
of guilloche pattern alternating with four roses,
enclosing shield with Baskerville impaling Nanphan.
In addition eight rectangular and one circular panels
of Swiss glass with the arms of the Cantons, have
recently been placed here; one of the panels has the
date 1521. In the N. wall of the basement of the E.
wing are the remains of two original two-light windows
with square chamfered heads and chamfered jambs.
The first stage of the tower has in the E. wall a doorway with chamfered jambs and four-centred head.
The second stage has mid 17th-century moulded
panelling and a 16th-century fireplace with moulded
jambs and square head. Near the middle of the E.
wall is a doorway, opening into the wall-passage
which led to the stair from the first stage; further
S. is a stair in the wall leading to the third stage. The
doorway itself retains a part of the original N. jamb
which is stop chamfered and rebated; opposite to it,
in the outer wall, are the jambs of a doorway, probably
of the 17th century, leading to the chapel, but at
a level above the existing chapel-floor. The wall-passage immediately N. of the doorway has a high
four-centred arch of one plain order, and is blocked
at the N. end. The third stage is also lined with
mid 17th-century panelling and has a fireplace with
moulded jambs and four-centred arch in a square
head. At the E. end of the S. wall is a doorway, of
c. 1500, from the circular stair with a four-centred
head. Within the S. wall is part of the original stair
to the leads. At the N. end of the wall is a garderobe which is now only entered from a stair in the
E. wall leading down from the fourth stage; the
passage has two four-centred arches of one chamfered
order; at the top of the stair is a doorway with a four-centred head. The fourth stage is modern. Within
the S. wall is a stair, now blocked, which led to the
fifth stage which is largely modern.
Condition—Good, much altered.
a(6). Pontrilas Court (Plate 163), house with outbuildings, about 2 m. N.W. of the church. The House
is a sandstone building of two storeys with attics and
cellars. It is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending
S.W. and N.W. The S.W. wing was built c. 1630–40,
and the N.W. wing towards the end of the 17th century,
but there have been modern additions to both wings.
The S.W. wing has an original porch on the N.W.
front having an entrance doorway with a round chamfered head springing from moulded respond-cappings.
Above is a moulded string which is returned round
the porch and carried along the main front as a window-label. The original windows on this front are square-headed with hollow chamfered jambs and moulded
labels with returned stops. The S.W. and S.E. fronts
have also some original windows with similar
Pontrilas Court, Kentchurch
Interior—The room (A) on plan has a ceiling divided
into rectangles by intersecting moulded beams and
intermediate moulded ribs. The wall plates are also
moulded. The adjoining room (C) has a similar
ceiling, and the walls are lined with plain rectangular
panelling. The fireplace has a wooden surround
moulded and carved with guilloche-ornament and with
modern panels at the angles. The overmantel has
three ranges of moulded lozenge-shaped panels. At
each side of the fireplace, running from floor to ceiling,
are two superimposed fluted Ionic pilasters, the lower
standing on a rusticated pedestal. The original Porch
on the S.E. side (B) has two rectangular panels to the
ceiling with a geometrical design in plaster. The
room (D) at the E. end of this wing also has a ceiling
with a geometrical design in plaster and, along the
west end, four rectangular panels with quatrefoils in
the centre. This room also has some moulded and
some plain panelling, and a stone fireplace with moulded
jambs and four-centred arch in a square head. The
spandrels to the arch contain shields with arms
(1) Scudamore, (2) a fesse between six rings. E. of the
fireplace and beneath the stair is a small room (E)
with some mid 17th-century moulded panelling. The
staircase has some re-used moulded balusters and
shaped newels. The N.W. wing has some stop-chamfered ceiling-beams and re-used moulded panelling. On the first floor the opening from the gallery
leading to the upper part of the S. porch has a moulded
beam carved with guilloche-pattern, and carried on
shaped brackets and with a shaped pendant in the
To the N.E. of the house there is a square Dovecote
(Plate 97) of late 17th-century date. The walls are of
rubble below and of timber-framing with brick nogging
above, finished with a coved wooden cornice and a
pyramidal roof of stone slates crowned by a small
turret. The Stabling, to the N.E. of the house, is also
of rubble below and timber-framing with brick nogging
above; it has a slate roof. Inside there is some exposed
timber-framing and chamfered ceiling-beams. The
external staircase to the first floor has disappeared.
b(7). Cottage, about 1½ m. N.E. of the church, is
of two storeys; the walls are of sandstone-rubble with
internal plastered timber-framing and a tiled roof. It
was built early in the 17th century.
c(8). Barn at Great Corrass, about 800 yards S. of
the church, is of late 16th-century date, and is built
of local rubble with a stone-slate roof. It is unusually
large and has a 17th-century two-storeyed addition
at the E. end and some modern additions. The N.
and S. walls have loop-lights below and blocked
six-light windows above with original wooden frames
and diamond-shaped mullions. There are also some
blocked doorways in the N. and S. walls, and one
doorway in the W. wall has the original frame. The
roof is of queen-post type.
c(9). Barn at Bridge Inn, 1000 yards W.N.W. of
the church, is of 17th-century date, and is built of
rubble and timber-framing; the roofs are covered
with slates. The E. and W. walls have two-light
windows with original wooden frames.
a(10). Barn known as 'Jack-o'-kents,' about 1¼ m.
N.N.W. of the church, is an early 17th-century building,
incorporating some timbers from an earlier structure.
It is of weather-boarded timber-framing with sandstone
rubble plinth and roof of stone slates. The roof is
of three bays and of queen-post type with diagonal
braces to the collars. On one of the horizontal beams
to the W. wall is cut "I. O. Kent 1596."