40 LLANCILLO (B.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XLIV, S.W., (b)XLIX, N.W.)
Llancillo is a small parish on the Monmouthshire
border about 12 m. S.W. of Hereford. The church
is the principal monument.
b(1). Parish Church of St. Peter stands in about
the middle of the parish. The walls are of local sandstone-rubble with worked dressings of the same material
and of tufa; they are not plastered internally; the roofs
are covered with modern slate. The Chancel is of late
11th or early 12th-century date, and the Nave is possibly
of the same date but retains no details of that period.
In the first half of the 17th century the nave appears to
have been re-roofed, some new windows were inserted,
and the South Porch was perhaps then built or re-built.
The building is said to have become ruinous and disused,
but was restored to use in 1895. The nave has been
lengthened slightly and the W. wall re-built.
Among the fittings an early bell rehung in the
modern bell-cote is noteworthy.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (14½ ft. by
11¼ ft.) has in the E. wall a low lancet with a distorted
three-centred rear-arch and stepped internal sill; it
is probably of late 11th or 12th-century origin, altered
to its present form in the 13th century; the wall below
this window is about 5 inches thicker than above it.
In the N. wall is a small rectangular light with semielliptical internal arch and stepped inner sill; it also
is probably of late 11th or early 12th-century date.
In the S. wall is a window of two square-headed lights,
probably of 17th-century date; the mullions and part
of the E. jamb are modern and the inner lintel is of
oak; farther W. is an early 17th-century doorway
with moulded oak frame and segmental arched lintel.
The chancel-arch is modern, with the gabled wall above.
The Nave (37 ft. by 15 ft.) has in the N. wall a window
of two square-headed lights, probably of 17th-century
date. In the S. wall are two modern windows; the
S. doorway is probably of 17th-century date re-built,
and has chamfered jambs and a four-centred head.
The W. wall has been re-built in modern times and is
surmounted by a modern bell-cote.
The South Porch has an entrance-archway of 17th-century date, with stop-chamfered jambs and four-centred head, half of which is modern. In each of the
side walls is a small rectangular light.
The Roof of the chancel has two plain collar-beam
trusses which may be of the 17th century but are more
probably modern, short lengths of the moulded and
embattled wall-plates at the E. end of the N. wall and
at the W. end of the S. wall are of 16th-century date,
but the remainder appear to be a modern copy. The
roof of the nave is probably of 17th-century date and
is divided into bays by eight collar-beam trusses with
curved braces, segmental-arches below the collars and
a moulded central purlin; three of the trusses have
moulded tie-beams; the curved braces are moulded,
except the two westernmost, one of which is plain
and the other chamfered; the boarding is modern, as
is also the W. end of the roof over the modern lengthening of the nave. The roof over the S. porch is partly
old; it has five trusses of collar-beam type with curved
braces forming segmental arches below the collars,
and retains on both side walls much of the old moulded
cornice and wall-plate; the boarding is modern.
Fittings—Bells: two, in modern bell-cote, (1) probably 17th-century, (2) of long, slender form, probably
13th-century. Chest: (Plate 28) in nave—at W. end, of
"dug-out" type with top rebated for lid; lid hung on
two strap-hinges and retaining one clasp and portions of
another with one iron lock-plate on chest, 13th-century.
Churchyard Cross: on three square steps, square base
with stopped angles, chamfered upper edge and modern
cross, 14th-century. Door: to S. doorway of chancel,
of battens, with segmental head, 16th-century. Font:
with octagonal bowl with curved sides and octagonal
to square stem on modern base, 13th-century. Locker:
in chancel—in N. wall, small rectangular. Monuments: in churchyard—S.E. of S. porch, (1) to James
Scudamore, 1690, Thomas Scudamore, 1720, and others,
stone slab with moulded edge; (2) to Elizabeth, wife
of Thomas Scudamore, 1653, John Scudamore, 1695,
and Blanch, wife of James Price, 1714, stone slab with
moulded edge. Pulpit: (Plate 59) of oak, consisting
of two sides of octagon erected against N.E. angle of
nave, with panels carved with arabesque and other
ornament, and upper panel on S. side with date 1632;
built up with 17th-century and 18th-century or modern
work, at back, initials and date I. G. 1745. Seating: in
chancel—quire-stall with plain seat and panelled back
and ends of 18th-century date, and front made up of
early to mid 17th-century panelling with return ends
of 18th-century work.
Condition—Good, much restored.
b(2). Mound (Plan, p. xxxv) at Llancillo Court, 90
yards E. of the church, consists of a circular motte
about 43 yards in diameter surrounded by a dry ditch
with an outer rampart extending for about 20 yards
along the W. side and widened at the southern end
into a slight mound. Around the top of the motte
are traces of rubble walling of a former keep or structure
but now mostly covered with soil. On either side are
traces of scarps, banks, etc., which are probably of
later date, but some scarps inclosing a small stream
on the N. side of the site possibly formed part of
additional defences. Forty yards N.W. of the motte
is a small rectangular mound about 2 ft. high, and in
a field on the E. side of the stream and about 190
yards E. of the motte is a small portion of a deep
ditch and traces of banking.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys
with attics. The walls are of local sandstone rubble,
and the roofs are covered with stone slates and modern
slates. Some of the buildings have exposed chamfered
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
b(3). Llancillo Court, house and stables, 210 yards
E.S.E. of the church. The House is of half H-shaped
plan with the wings extending towards the W. The
southern projecting wing was remodelled late in the
18th century, and the northern wing was built shortly
afterwards, but probably incorporates an older structure. A modern extension has been added on the
N. end of the house. There are old projecting
chimney-stacks, with weathered offsets below the
shafts, on the N., S. and W. sides of the building,
but in each case the shafts have been re-built in later
brick. In the N. wing is an old battened door on a
chamfered frame and inside the building on the first
floor is a six-panelled door of late 17th-century date.
The Stables, S.E. of the house, are of one storey with
a loft above, reached by an external flight of stone
steps. The roof has been largely reconstructed but
retains two old trusses of braced rafter type. The door
to the loft and a window in the gable have old wood
b(4). Llancillo Hall, 630 yards S.W. of the church,
dates from late in the 15th or early in the 16th century,
but has been considerably altered and modernised.
It is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards
the S.W. and N.W. The N.W. wing is probably of
17th-century date. All the windows are modern and
in recent years the house has been re-roofed. Inside
the building, on the ground-floor, the rooms in the
N.W. wing have exposed chamfered beams, and in the
hall passages the exposed beams are moulded.
b(5). Little Goytre, known locally as Ivy House,
cottage on banks of the River Monnow, nearly 1 m.
S.W. of the church, is of two storeys. It is of 16th-century date and has a modern extension at the W.
end. The hood over the entrance doorway is of a
thin stone slab supported on two shaped wooden
brackets, of early 18th-century date. Some of the
windows have old wooden frames. Inside the building the ground-floor rooms have stop-chamfered
ceiling-beams and exposed joists, triangular in section
with a roll moulding at the outer edge. In the main
cross-partition on the ground floor are two original
doorways with four-centred heads and remains of old
panelling. A fireplace on the upper floor is spanned
by a cambered and chamfered oak lintel.
b(6). Two Barns, 60 yards N. of (5). The more
northerly barn (Plate 12) is of two storeys, the lower
being of stone rubble and the upper with the side
walls of open timber-framing. Along the S. side of
the lower storey is a later addition. The barn is in
three bays with trusses consisting of tie-beams supporting sloping struts to the principal rafters.
The second barn stands at right angles and to the
S. of the first. It is of three bays and of timber-framing
covered with weather-boarding, on a stone base; the
roof is covered with tiles; below the southernmost
bay is a basement. The roof is of similar construction
to the more northern barn.
b(7). Arcadia, cottage nearly ¾ m. W.N.W. of the
church, is of one storey with attics. A later wing has
been built on the S. side, and on the N. side is a low
a(8). Upper House, farmhouse and barn, 400 yards
N.W. of (7). The House is of one storey with attics
and is built on an L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the S. and E. The E. wing is of 15th-century date, and was probably timber-framed. In
the first half of the 17th century the S. wing was added
when the earlier building was refaced with stone.
The end walls of both projecting wings are gabled
and on the E. wall of the E. wing is a rectangular
chimney-stack with stepped offsets. Inside the building, on the ground-floor, the main cross-partition in
the E. wing is of timber with stop-chamfered framing,
and the cross-partition in the S. wing is of similar construction but of 17th-century date and with beaded
framing. There are several old battened doors. In
the attics of the E. wing are two exposed crutches,
the lower parts of which have been cut away below the
The Barn, about 30 yards S.E. of the house, is of
four bays, of which the three northernmost are timber-framed on a stone base, and the southernmost an
extension in stone rubble with a basement below.
There are modern extensions at the N. end and along
the whole of the W. side. The whole of the infilling
between the timber-framing appears to have been of
wide battened lathing. The roof trusses have tie-beams with sloping struts to the principal rafters.
On one of the timber-braces is carved the date 1629.
Condition—Of house—E. wing poor, S. wing good.