41 LLANDINABO (D.c.).
(O.S. 6 in. XLV, S.E.)
Llandinabo is a small parish, 6 m. N.W. of Ross.
The church is the principal monument.
(1). Parish Church of St. Dinebo stands in the
middle of the parish. The walls are of local sandstone
with ashlar dressings of the same material; the roofs
are tiled. The font and a coffin-lid against the outer
wall of the vestry are of the 13th century, but modern
restorations have entirely destroyed all evidence of
the date of the structure itself. In 1881 the outer
walls were entirely recased, the inner walls plastered,
the W. wall was entirely re-built as were also all the old
windows, the old W. gallery was removed and the
roofs were repaired and retiled. At the same time
the North Vestry, the North Aisle, and the South Porch
were added; the West Bell Turret is also modern.
Among the fittings the early renaissance screen is
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (16¼ ft. by
11 ft.) retains no old features, but has in the N. wall
a blocked round-headed arch, probably mediæval, but
with the dressings now covered with plaster.
The Nave (28 ft. by 14¼ ft.) has no ancient features.
The Roof of the chancel is of braced collar-beam
type of mediæval date. The roof of the nave has
curved braces to the rafters and is also probably of
mediæval date; it has been repaired and has modern
Fittings—Bell: inaccessible. Brass and Indent:
Brass: in chancel—on N. wall, to Thomas Tompkins,
1629, with figure of boy, clothed and wearing collar
and tau-cross pendant, half submerged in circular pool
of water, with, below, Latin inscription recording his
death by drowning. Indent: in churchyard, S.W. of
porch, stone slab partly hidden by turf with indent
for small rectangular brass. Coffin-lid: in churchyard
—against E. wall of vestry, half buried in ground,
with chamfered edge and upper part of cross showing,
with geometrical head of circle and intersecting
segments in low relief, 13th-century. Font: octagonal
bowl with curved underside, rounded moulding above
stem and modern chamfered top, plain circular stem,
13th-century, on modern base and step. Monuments:
in churchyard—S. of porch, (1) to Hannah (?) Kinersley,
1712, stone slab with decorations at corners; S.E. of
the chancel; (2) to John Rogers, 1704, and Elizabeth
his wife, 1705, stone slab with moulded edge; (3) to
John, second son of John Rogers, 1699–1700, similar
to (2) with Latin inscription; (4) to Edward, son of
John Rogers, 1705, stone slab with moulded edge.
Plate: includes a cup of late 17th-century character,
but without date-letter and with inscription recording
gift to the parish in 1728. Pulpit: of modern construction but incorporating moulded framing and
carved panelling with pilasters and round arch 'motif'
enriched with guilloche pattern, lower panels with
arabesque ornament, early to mid 17th-century. Recess:
in chancel—in N. wall, with round head, old but now
covered with plaster. Screen: (Plate 171) between the
chancel and nave, of early renaissance character with
four panels on the N. side and five panels on S. side of
lower part of central opening, each pierced with trefoil-headed slits and set in moulded framing; upper part
divided on either side of central opening into three
bays by richly carved shafts; each side bay with semi-circular trefoiled arch with cusped spandrels in square
head, and cusps of trefoils extended in conventional
clusters of grapes and scroll-like foliage; in square
head of central opening, band of pierced foliated
scroll-work with carved head in circle, in middle
supported by two mermaids; elaborately carved and
moulded cornice with inverted brattishing to lower
part, bands of carved rope 'motif' above surmounted
by carved frieze of dolphins, angels, grotesque faces
and a mermaid; c. 1520–30, and incorporating some
modern work in lower panels.
Condition—Good, much restored.
(2). Llandinabo Farm, house and barn, a few yards
N.W. of the church. The House has been re-built,
but incorporates a late 17th-century staircase with
moulded and turned balusters and moulded handrail;
at the ground-floor level is a "dog-gate" which appears
to have been made up from early 17th-century communion railing.
The Barn incorporates two 17th-century doors,
studded with flat-headed nails and having heavy