58 ST. DEVEREUX (C.c.).
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXXIX, S.W., (b)XLV, N.W.)
St. Devereux is a parish 6½ m. S.W. of Hereford.
b(1). Parish Church of St. Dubricius stands in
the S.W. part of the parish. The walls are of rubble
with ashlar dressings, all of local sandstone; the
roofs are covered with tiles. The earliest detail in the
church is of the 13th century, at which date the Nave
was built, except perhaps the N.W. angle, which may
be earlier. The West Tower was probably added in
the 14th century, and about the middle or third quarter
of the same century the Chancel and chancel-arch were
re-built. The church has been drastically restored in
modern times, the S. wall of the nave largely re-built,
and the South Porch added.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (27 ft. by
17¼ ft.) has a partly restored 14th-century E. window
of three trefoiled ogee lights with tracery in a two-centred head. In the N. wall are two restored windows,
the eastern of the 14th century and of two trefoiled ogee
lights in a square head, and the western of the 16th
or 17th century and of two square-headed lights. In
the S. wall are two windows, uniform with the eastern
window in the N. wall; between them is a late 15th
or early 16th-century doorway with chamfered jambs
and four-centred head. The 14th-century chancel-arch
is two-centred and of two chamfered orders, the outer
continuous and the inner dying on to the responds.
The Nave (46½ ft. by 20½ ft.) has in the N. wall
three windows, the easternmost of the 13th century
and of two lancet-lights; the middle window is of
the same date but of one lancet-light only; the westernmost window is similar to the easternmost, but entirely
restored or modern; the 13th or 14th-century N.
doorway, now blocked, has chamfered jambs and two-centred arch. In the S. wall are three windows, the
easternmost of the 13th century with internal rebates,
and of two trefoiled lights with a quatre-foiled circle
in the spandrel; the middle window is similar to the
corresponding window in the N. wall; the westernmost window is similar to the middle window but
completely restored; the S. doorway is similar to the
N. doorway but has a wider opening and is not blocked.
The W. wall leans towards the W. though the tower
which stands over it is perpendicular; near the N.W.
angle is a straight joint, corresponding to the inner
face of the N. wall. The doorway to the tower is of
the 14th century and has chamfered jambs and two-centred arch.
The West Tower (10 ft. by 10½ ft.) is of three stages
with a plain parapet and a deep offset above the ground
stage; the whole structure is probably of the 14th
century, built on to the earlier W. wall of the nave.
In the W. wall of the ground stage is a square-headed
loop. In the W. wall of the second stage is a loop
with a pointed head. The bell-chamber has in each
wall a 14th-century window of two trefoiled ogee
lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head, with a
Fittings—Bells: three; 2nd and 3rd probably
14th century and inscribed in Lombardic letters
"Scancte Johannes" and "Sanctus Johannes" respectively. Chest: In tower—of oak boards and hutch-type, with ornamental metal plate on top, early 17th-century. Coffin-lid: In tower—fragment, re-used as
lintel to loop in W. wall, with portion of inscription
in Lombardic letters, 13th-century. Communion Table:
(Plate 72) of oak, with turned legs, moulded and slightly
enriched upper rails and plain lower rails, early 17th-century. Font: octagonal bowl with splayed underside, octagonal stem and splayed square base, 15th or
16th-century. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments:
In chancel—on E. wall, (1) to John Hoskins, 1669,
and Mary (Goemo . .) his wife, 1694, decayed tablet of
stone with lozenge-of-arms; (2) to Frederick Powell,
A.M., 1658, marble tablet, with cartouche-of-arms
above, probably not belonging to this monument;
on N. wall; (3) to Elizabeth, daughter of John
Gunter, 1696, stone tablet with lozenge-of-arms;
(4) to Ann, daughter of Thomas Goode, 1668, slate
tablet with cartouche-of-arms; (5) to Thomas, son
of Thomas Goode, 1664–5, slate tablet with cartouche-of-arms; on S. wall; (6) to Elizabeth, wife of Roger
Griffith, 1649, also to Beatrix, their daughter, wife
of George Jones, rector of the parish, 1660–61, slate
tablet with cartouche-of-arms. In the chancel, nave
and tower are various portions of the above monuments, including pediments, architraves, apron-pieces,
etc. In churchyard—S. of porch, (7) to William
Preece, 1700(?), headstone. Floor-slabs: In chancel
—(1) to Thomas Goode, 1671–2, with achievement-of-arms. In nave—on W. wall; (2) to Ann, daughter
of Thomas Goode, 1668, with figure in low relief
with cherub-heads and scrolled border; (3) to Thomas,
son of Thomas Goode, 1664–5, with achievement-of-arms, cherub-heads and foliated border. In tower—
(4) to Als, wife of Richard Green, 16 . .; (5) to Ann,
daughter of Robert Mason, late 17th-century. In
churchyard—by S. porch; (6) to William (?) Green,
late 17th-century, broken slab. Piscina: In chancel—
recess with chamfered and rebated two-centred head,
quatre-foiled bowl, partly cut away, 14th-century. In
nave—in sill of S.E. window, quatre-foiled drain, 13th-century. Plate: includes Elizabethan cup (Plate 57)
with bands of incised ornament and date 1576 on round
plate on bottom, also cup and cover-paten, said to have
come from Amsterdam, cover surmounted by draped
figure of a woman, 17th-century. Recesses: In nave
—in N. and S. walls, two with low segmental-pointed
and chamfered arches, 13th-century, probably tomb-recesses. Sundial: On E. jamb of S. doorway—
Condition—Good, much altered, some cracks in
upper part of tower.
b(2). Motte and Bailey castle (Plan, p.xxxv) at Didley
Court Farm, ¾ m. N.E. of the church. The motte is
roughly round, about 26 yards in diameter at the base and
17 ft. in height above the ditch. The ditch survives only
on the S.W., dying out into a berm and scarp on the
S.E. and E. There are traces of a crescent-shaped
bailey on the N. and N.W. with a ditch on the W.
and a scarp on the rest of the circuit. To the S.W. of
the bailey a scarp encloses a platform or court of
irregular shape and perhaps of later date.
Condition—Poor, much cut into and damaged by
b(3). Didley Court Farm, house (Plate 18), ¾ m.
N.E. of the church, is of two storeys; the walls are
timber-framed with brick nogging, and the roofs are
covered with slates. It was built early in the 16th century, but an upper floor was inserted in the hall and the
N. cross-wing added in the 17th century. The exposed
external timber-framing is mostly of the 17th century.
Inside the building, the ground-floor rooms have
exposed ceiling-beams, and in the cross-wing is some
panelling and doors of c. 1600. The main hall-block
has original roof-trusses with cambered tie-beams and
curved braces. The staircase has an octagonal central
b(4). Trelough, house and moat, about ½ m. W.
of the church. The House is of two storeys with attics;
the walls are of brick and the roofs are tiled. It was
built early in the 18th century, probably by William
Garnons, and has later additions on the S.E. side. The
front has a brick band between the storeys and a hipped
roof with two dormers. Inside the building, the
N.W. room is lined with original panelling with dado-rail and cornice; over the fireplace is a bolection-moulded panel; the ceiling is divided by moulded ribs
into simple geometrical panels. In the N.E. room
is some re-used early 17th-century panelling, with
guilloche and other ornament. There is some panelling of the same date in the corridor. The original
staircase has moulded close strings, turned balusters
and square newels.
The Moat has been mostly filled in.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys,
timber-framed and with stone or modern slates. Some
of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams.
b(5). The Old Rectory, 50 yards E. of the church,
has an 18th-century addition at the S. end.
b(6). Upper House Farm, house and barn, 1 m. N.E.
of the church. The House is of T-shaped plan with
the cross-wing at the N. end. The E. arm of the cross-wing is a mid or late 17th-century addition. There
is a gabled staircase-wing on the E. side. Inside the
building is a moulded ceiling-beam, and some original
panelling and doors.
The Barn, N.N.W. of the house, is of late 17th or
early 18th-century date and is weather-boarded. There
is a second outbuilding, of similar type, W. of the barn.
b(7). White House Farm, house, 50 yards S. of (6),
has a barn at the S. end added in the 18th century.
The front has been faced with brick.
b(8). Lower House Farm, house (Plate 18), 50 yards W.
of (7), was built late in the 16th or early in the 17th century and is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending
towards the E. and S. The timber-framing is exposed
and the upper storey projects and is gabled at the W.
end of the N. front; the projection is supported on
curved brackets and later posts. On the N. front of
the E. wing is a wooden window head with six ogee
cuttings as though for the heads of lights; it may be
earlier work re-used. Inside the building, the staircase has an octagonal newel with a shaped terminal.
a(9). Willock's Bridge Farm, house, 1¾ m. N.W. of
the church, has been partly faced with brick and has
later additions. Inside the building is some late 17th
or early 18th-century panelling. The staircase has
wavy slat balusters.
b(10). Earthwork, on the W. side of the road
opposite the church, appears to have formed a roughly
round island or mound surrounded by a square ditch;
the ditch is practically filled in. There is a quadrangular platform to the N.