9 BRILLEY (A.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXIII, S.E., (b)XXIV, N.W.,
Brilley is a parish on the W. border of the county,
6 m. S.S.W. of Kington. The church, Cwmma Farm
and Fernhall are the principal monuments.
b(1). Parish Church of St. Mary stands near the
middle of the parish. The walls are of local sandstone
rubble with dressings of the same material; the roofs
are slate-covered. The font is evidence for the existence of a 12th-century church, but the present building,
consisting of Chancel, Nave and North Transept or vestry,
seems to have been built late in the 13 th or early in the
14th century. The nave was extended to the W.,and
a wooden W. tower built in comparatively modern
times. The church was restored in 1862, and the South
Porch re-built in 1865; in a second restoration in 1890,
the chancel was re-built and the S. porch restored on the
old lines. The wooden tower was burnt in 1912
and replaced by the existing West Tower.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (25½ ft. by
20 ft.) has a modern E. window. In the N. wall is a
late 13 th or early 14th-century window of a single
trefoiled light. In the S. wall is a 14th-century window
of two trefoiled ogee lights in a square head and a
modern doorway. There is no chancel-arch.
The Nave (54 ft. by 20 ft.) has, in the N. wall, a
plastered segmental-pointed arch of one chamfered
order continued down the jambs; further W. are two
modern windows. In the S. wall are three similar
windows and a modern doorway.
The North Transept (18¾ ft. by 15¼ ft.) has a late 13th
or early 14th-century E. window of two trefoiled
lights; there is a similar window in the N. wall; in
the S. wall is a 14th-century recess with double hollow-chamfered jambs and ogee head; it is probably the
blocked doorway to the former rood-loft staircase.
The South Porch is of timber on dwarf stone walls.
It has been re-built, but incorporates much of the
original 15th-century woodwork. The outer archway
has a cambered tie-beam and moulded braces forming
a two-centred arch. The wall-plates are moulded.
The Roof of the chancel has 15th-century hollow-chamfered wall-plates and a central truss with tie-beam, collar and king-post and a simple bracket on the
W. face of the king-post; E. of this truss the roof is
ceiled, at the tie-beam level, with modern boarding,
and W. of it the roof is continuous with that of the
nave. The 14th-century roof of the nave is of trussed-rafter and collar-beam type; it has two main trusses,
the eastern with tie-beam, collar, principals and struts,
all cusped round the openings above the tie-beam;
the western truss has tie-beam, king-post and collar;
W. of this truss the roof is modern. The 14th-century
roof of the N. transept is of trussed rafter and collar-beam type, with king-post trusses against the end
Fittings—Churchyard Cross: S. of the chancel—
square stopped base on two square steps and part of
square to octagonal shaft, 14th or 15th-century, 18th-century sundial on top. Font: tapering cylindrical
bowl with chamfered base, 12th-century. Floor-slabs:
In nave—(1) to James Pary and John G..de, 17th-century; (2) to Guilbert Hare, 1669–70, and Margaret
his daughter, 1669–70, cast-iron slab (Plate 67), now
broken, with achievement-of-arms. Table: In transept
—with turned legs, mid 17th-century.
b(2). Tump (Plan, p. xxix) or mound N. of Cwmma
Farm and 1¾ m. N.E. of the church, is roughly circular,
about 90 ft. in diameter at the base and rising 17½ ft.
above the lowest part of the ditch. The ditch is dry,
but a stream runs through it on the W. side.
b(3). Cwmma Farm, house and outbuilding about
1½ m. N.E. of the church. The House is of two storeys
with cellars; the walls are timber-framed, and the roofs
are covered with stone slates. It was built early in the
17th century on an irregular plan, and has a later 17th-century addition on the S.W. The timber-framing is
exposed. The S.E. front has a two-storeyed porch
with the upper storey projecting on an original moulded
bressummer and brackets; the gable also projects on
shaped brackets. The outer doorway is probably an
insertion and has an arched head; the inner doorway
has an original moulded frame. The wall S.W. of the
porch has a small pent-roof projecting at the first-floor
level; the window below has an original moulded sill.
There is a similar pent-roof at the back of the house, and
an original window with moulded frame and mullions.
Inside the building some of the ceiling-beams are
exposed. The original staircase has square newels with
moulded terminals, flat shaped balusters and moulded
handrails. One doorway has an original moulded
The Cattle-shed adjoins the house on the N.E., and is
of six original bays, probably of mediæval date. The
heavy beams and joists are exposed and retain traces
of colour-decoration in a simple cheveron design.
b(4). Fernhall, house, ¼ m. N.N.E. of (3), is of one
storey with attics, timber-framed and with roofs of
stone slates. It was built probably late in the 14th or
early in the 15th century with a central hall and crosswings at the E. and W. ends; the main roof has now
been continued over the E. cross-wing, and an upper
floor has been inserted in the hall. Much of the
exterior has been refronted, but some of the framing
is exposed. Inside the building, the hall retains its
original central truss, which is of collar-beam type with
struts forming three foiled openings above the collar;
there were also cusped braces below the collar-beam.
Portions of two crutch-trusses are visible in the end walls
of the hall. Many of the ceiling-beams are exposed.
b(5). Kintley Farm, house and outbuilding nearly
1 m. E.N.E. of the church. The House is of two storeys,
partly of stone and partly timber-framed; the roofs
are covered with slates and stone slates. The timber-framed E. wing is of late 14th or early 15th-century
date, but the rest of the house was largely re-built in the
18th century. The old wing has close-set framing,
and retains much of its original roof construction;
three of the original four bays remain, and the trusses
are of collar-beam type with curved braces springing
from the wall-posts and forming two-centred arches.
Some of the ceiling-beams are exposed.
The Outbuilding, S.E. of the house, is of the 17th
century, timber-framed, and of two storeys.
Condition—Of E. wing, bad.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century; the walls are of
stone and the roofs are covered with slates or stone
slates. Most of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
b(6). Llanhedry, house about 1 m. N.E. of the church,
was built probably in the 14th or 15th century with a
central hall and cross-wings at the E. and W. ends.
It was originally timber-framed, but has been cased with
stone. An upper floor has been inserted in the hall.
Inside the building are remains of one of the original
crutch-trusses of the hall. There is also a 17th-century
doorway with a flat triangular head, and elsewhere a
panelled door of the same date.
b(7). Pentre Jack, house, 400 yards N.E. of (6), is
timber-framed. The middle part of the house may be of
mediæval date. Some of the timber-framing is exposed.
Inside the building is a little 17th-century panelling.
b(8). Cottage, 110 yards E. of (7), is timber-framed
and was built in the 16th century or earlier and subsequently heightened. The framing is exposed.
b(9). Pentre Coed, house, 1½ m. E.N.E. of the church,
is partly timber-framed. It is of T-shaped plan with
the cross-wing at the S. end. Some of the framing is
b(10). Little Pentre Coed, cottage, 200 yards W. of (9),
is of mediæval date, and retains three original crutchtrusses forming rough arches. Adjoining the cottage
is a timber-framed barn.
c(11). Three Hollies, cottage, 1,460 yards E.S.E. of the
church, is timber-framed. The framing is partly
b(12). Green Farm, house and barn about ¾ m. E.
of the church. The House has a modern addition on the
E. The Barn, S. of the house, is timber-framed.
b(13). Lane Farm, house and barns nearly ¾ m. E.N.E.
of the church. The House is partly timber-framed, and
has been much altered, added to and refaced in stone.
Inside the building are some original moulded ceiling-beams. The Barns, E. of the house and S. of the yard,
b(14). Crossway Farm, 1,170 yards N.E. of the church,
is timber-framed. The framing is exposed.
b(15). Hill Gate, cottage, about 1 m. N.N.E. of the
church, is timber-framed.
b(16). Amberstone, cottage, 500 yards N.E. of (15),
was originally timber-framed.
b(17). Trenewydd, cottage, 1,200 yards N.N.W. of the
church, formed part of a larger building.
c(18). Outbuilding, formerly cottage, at Brilley Green,
980 yards E.S.E. of the church, is timber-framed. The
framing is partly exposed.
c(19). Pentre Farm, house, 520 yards S.E. of the
church, was probably timber-framed, but has been
refaced in stone.
c(20). Brilley Court Farm, house, 550 yards W. of (19),
has extensive 18th-century and modern additions.
The central part of the building is of two dates, the
earlier including the cellar being perhaps of mediæval
date; the adjoining block to the W. was built c. 1600.
Inside the building the early 17th-century staircase has
square newels with turned terminals, turned balusters
and moulded hand-rails. The cider-mill and cattleshed adjoining the house on the N. and E. are of 17th
or early 18th-century date.
c(21). Lower Bridge Court, house and barn, 1,180
yards S.W. of the church. The House is partly timber-framed, and is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the W. and S. It has been partly re-built.
Some of the timber-framing is exposed. The Barn, N.
of the house, is timber-framed and weather-boarded.
c(22). Sunny Bank, house, 1 m. S.W. of the church,
has some timber-framing in the back wall.
c(23). Pear Tree Hall, cottage, on the N. side of the
road about 1¼ m. S.S.W. of the church.
c(24). Rbydspence Inn (Plate 20), on the S.E. side of
the road, about 1½ m. S.W. of the church, is a timber-framed building of the 16th century. The close-set
framing is mostly exposed, and in front is a two-storeyed
porch; the upper storey of the porch projects on the
free sides and the outer and inner entrances have segmental heads. There are several original windows with
mullions and transoms. The upper storey also projects at the W. end, on shaped brackets with shaped
pendants to the angle-posts.
c(25). Bank of Pleasure, cottage, 770 yards N. of (24),
has a timber-framed barn at the N.E. end.
c(26). Barn at Bailey Merdy, 520 yards W. of (25), is
timber-framed and weather-boarded.
c(27). Pentre Grove, house, about 1¼ m. W. of the
church, has a cross-wing at the W. end.
c(28). Wern, house, 500 yards S.E. of (27), is of 14th
or 15th-century date, much altered in the 17th century,
when an upper floor was inserted in the hall. It now
consists of a main block with a cross-wing at the W.
end. The main block is divided into four bays by
three original crutch-trusses with cambered collar-beams and curved braces forming arches. The cross-wing is said also to retain its mediæval roof.
c(29). Tan House, house and barns, 1,480 yards
W.S.W. of the church. The House is timber-framed
and has a later extension on the S. Inside the building
the ceiling of the principal room is divided into panels
by original moulded beams. The Barns N.E. and N.W.
of the house are timber-framed and weather-boarded.
a(30), Pen-tŵyn Camp (Plan, p. xxix), 2 m. W.S.W.
of the church, occupies the N.E. end of a hill-top (1,079
ft.). It is a small work of no great strength and appears
to have been roughly oval in plan with an internal area
of 1¾ acres. The defences (Plate 4) on the W.
consist of a double rampart with an outer and a broad
medial ditch; the inner rampart is of slighter construction than the outer. On the S. there are now no
defences, but the line is preserved approximately by
the present hedge. On the N. and E. there is a scarp
of about 8 ft. in height to the inner enclosure, but no
remains of ramparts or ditches.