15 BYTON (B.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. XI, N.W.)
Byton is a small parish 6 m. N.E. of Kington.
(1). Parish Church of St. Mary stands in the N.
part of the parish and was entirely re-built in 1859, but
incorporates some old material. It contains from the
old church the following:—
Fittings—Floor-slab: In nave—to James Woodhouse, 1651, and Thomas Woodhouse, 1684. Font
(Plate 55): round bowl splayed back in the lower part
and with incised zig-zag band round top, plain stem,
early 12th-century. Plate: includes cup of 1571 with
band of engraved ornament, and a cover-paten with
the date 15 71 on the handle. Miscellanea: Incorporated
in S. wall of organ-chamber—lintel or tympanum
(Plate 17) of doorway with roughly curved upper side
and rebate for jamb-stone on left side, on face a round
sunk panel containing an Agnus Dei and flanked by
incised knot-ornaments, probably late 11th or early 12th-century.
(2). Court House, house and outbuildings, 140
yards S.S.W. of the church. The House is of two
storeys with cellars; the walls are timber-framed, but
largely refaced with stone, and the roofs are covered
with stone slates and tiles. It is of T-shaped plan
with the cross-wing at the W. end; the E. wing is of
mediæval origin, but was re-modelled early in the 16th
century when the cross-wing was added. Inside the
building the E. wing has remains of an original roof-truss with a curved and moulded brace under the
collar. The ground floor has some exposed ceiling-beams, one supported on a heavy oak post with a shaped
top, probably of the 17th century. In the cross-wing is
a shaped bracket of similar form.
The Barn, on the opposite side of the road, 100 yards
S.W. of the house, is of the 17th century, timber-framed
and weather-boarded. Adjoining it is an outbuilding
of the same date.
(3). Cottage, 280 yards S. of the church, is of one
storey with attics; the walls are of stone and the roofs
are slate-covered. It was built probably early in the
18th century and has a later outbuilding on the W. The
ceiling-beams are exposed.
(4). The Woodhouse, house and outbuildings,
about 1 m. S.S.E. of the church. The House is of two
storeys with cellars and attics; the walls are of stone,
repaired in brick, and the roofs are slate-covered. It
was built early in the 17th century, but was remodelled
in the 18th century when a large wing was added on the
E. and the S. side refronted in brick. In the W. wall
is an original window of two lights with moulded oak
frame and mullion. The central chimney-stack, of
brick, has projecting nibs at the angles and in the
middle of each side. Inside the building are some
exposed ceiling-beams, and one room is lined with
original panelling. The late 17th-century staircase
(Plate 75) has heavy twisted balusters, moulded strings
and square newels. On the first floor is a fireplace with
an early 18th-century moulded surround and cornice.
The Stable, W. of the house, is of late 17th-century
date, timber-framed on a stone base; the roof is of
queen-post type. The Barn, S.W. of the house, is of
the 17th century, timber-framed, and of six bays.