30 HATFIELD (E.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. XIII, S.E.)
Hatfield is a parish 6 m. E. of Leominster. The
church with 11th-century detail and Hatfield Court
Farm, a large brick house of unusual type, are the
(1). Parish Church of St. Leonard stands near
the middle of the parish. The walls are of local sandstone rubble with dressings of the same material and
tufa; the roofs are tile-covered. The E. part of the
N. wall of the Nave dates from late in the 11th century.
The Chancel was re-built at some uncertain date, perhaps
in the 13th century. Probably in the 14th century the
nave was extended towards the W. and the West Porch
added; the timber supports of the bell-turret are
probably of mediæval date. In 1723 the E. part of the
S. wall of the nave was re-built. The church was
restored in 1878 and again in 1903, and the E. wall and
the bell-turret are modern.
The early N. doorway is of interest.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (19 ft. by
12½ ft.) has a modern E. wall with an E. window of
late 13th-century character, but all modern externally.
In the N. wall is a window largely or entirely modern.
In the S. wall is a 14th-century window of two trefoiled
lights in a square head. The two-centred chancel-arch is probably of the 13th century and is of one plain
continuous order with rough dressings of tufa.
The Nave (46 ft. by 18 ft. average) has, in the N. wall,
three windows, all modern except parts of the splays
of the two eastern; the late 11th-century N. doorway
(Plate 44) now blocked, has plain jambs and a heavy
lintel in three stones joggled together; above it is a
plain round arch enclosing a tympanum of square stones
set diagonally; the eastern part of the wall (Plate 85)
has some herring-bone masonry both internally and
externally. The S. wall as far as and including the
blocked S. doorway is of 18th-century date and has a
stone inscribed M.R. I.B. C.W. 1723; in the W. part of
the wall are two modern windows. The W. part of the
nave has been partitioned off to form a vestry, lobby
and staircase to the gallery above; four chamfered posts
carry the modern bell-turret. The W. doorway is of
18th-century or modern date.
The West Porch is of timber and probably of 14th-century date with a modern roof. The outer entrance
has two curved braces forming a pointed arch.
Fittings—Bells: two, uninscribed, 13th-century.
Font: tub-shaped bowl without ornament, probably
late 11th-century. Monuments (restored 1933): In
chancel—on N. wall, (1) to Sara (Colles), wife of Thomas
Geers, 1672–3, oval tablet (Plate 68) with bay-leaf
frame, flanked by twisted Corinthian columns with
entablature, broken pediment and achievement-of-arms;
(2) to Timothy Colles, 1669, tablet (Plate 68) flanked
by twisted Corinthian columns with entablature, broken
pediment, putti and cartouche-of-arms; on S. wall,
(3) to John Colles, 1641, and Frances (Lucy) his wife,
1638, tablet (Plate 68) with Ionic side-columns,
entablature, broken pediment, putti and shield-of-arms.
Panelling: In chancel—dado of 17th-century panelling.
Plate: includes cup of 1571, cover-paten with the date
1614 and stand-paten of 1685.
(2). Hatfield Court Farm, house (Plate 34), 100
yards N.W. of the church, is of three storeys; the walls
are of brick. It was built probably late in the 16th
century on a modified E-shaped plan with the three
small wings projecting towards the S. and a wing at the
back. A modern house has been built on the N. side
incorporating part of the old building which is now
roofless and derelict. Some panelling and a piece of
lead with the date 1595, from this house, are now
preserved at Hatfield Court.
The building is an interesting example of a brick type
unusual in the county.
Hatfield, the Parish Church of St Leonard
The S. front has three projecting and gabled bays the
full height of the house; the ground floor of the easternmost forms a porch, the outer entrance having a four-centred head. The square-headed windows have lost
most of their dressings and the crow-stepped gables are
partly ruined. In the main wall are four-light windows,
some of them blocked. The E. front has modern
windows, except one in the attics which has an original
moulded oak frame; the main block has a crow-stepped gable. The N. wall is partly covered by
modern work; the E. chimney-stack has grouped
diagonal shafts and the W. stack has four square shafts
with V-shaped pilaster-strips; towards the E. end is a
blocked window with an original moulded mullion and
the projecting wing has original windows with square
moulded heads; the doorway has a square head and a
moulded rear-arch. The W. front has an original five-light transomed window in both the lower floors and a
three-light window in the crow-stepped gable. The
external walls, except on the N., have lozenge-diapering
in black bricks. Inside, the building is largely ruined
but retains some ceiling-beams and remains of plaster
panelling on the E. wall. The fireplaces are of stone,
with four-centred heads.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys,
timber-framed and with tile or slate-covered roofs.
Most of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good.
(3). Durhampton Farm, house, 800 yards N.N.E. of
the church, was built probably in the 16th century on a
T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the E. end.
There is a 17th-century addition on the N. side and
modern additions on the N. and W. The chimney-stack
has two square shafts with diagonal pilaster-strips. The
external timber-framing, in squares, is exposed.
(4). House, on the S. side of the road, 230 yards E. of
the church, is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending
towards the S. and E. The N.W. angle of the house is
of the 16th century, but the rest was re-built in the 17th
century. Some of the timber-framing is exposed, and
inside the house the staircase has a 17th-century newel,
with a moulded terminal.
(5). Cottage, on the N. side of the road, about ½ m.
E. of the church, has some exposed timber-framing.
(6). Cottage, 30 yards N.E. of (5), has exposed
(7). Lower Nicholson, house, ¾ m. S.S.W. of the
church, has exposed timber-framing in square panels.