35 KIMBOLTON (D.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XII, N.E., (b)XII, S.E., (c)XIII, N.W.,
Kimbolton is a parish 3 m. N.E. of Leominster.
The church and Bach Camp are the principal
a(1). Parish Church of St. James (Plate 10) stands
near the middle of the parish. The walls are of local
sandstone rubble with dressings of the same material;
the roofs are covered with stone slates. The Chancel was
built probably in the first half of the 12th century, to
which date may also belong the base of the nave walls.
The Nave was re-built in the second half of the 13th
century and the South Transept and West Tower were
added probably about the same time. The church was
extensively restored in 1872, when the chancel-arch was
inserted, the transept and tower-arches re-built and
the South Porch added. The roofs were renewed in
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (21¾ ft. by
16¾ ft.) has a 12th-century E. window of one round-headed light and mostly retooled. There is a similar
window in the N. wall. In the S. wall is a modern
window and further W. a 12th-century doorway with
chamfered jambs and square head. The chancel-arch
The Nave (62½ ft. by 19½ ft.) has, in the N. wall, four
windows, the two eastern of late 13th-century date and
each of a single trefoiled light but differing in detail;
the two western windows are modern. In the S. wall
is a modern arch opening into the transept; further
W. are two modern windows; the 13th-century S.
doorway has moulded jambs, two-centred arch and
The South Transept (20 ft. by 18 ft.) has, in the E.
wall, two 13th-century lancet-windows. In the S.
wall are two modern windows, and above them a late
13th or early 14th-century window of two pointed
lights with a trefoil in a two-centred head with a
moulded label and defaced head-stops. In the W. wall
is a blocked doorway with a chamfered two-centred
head, perhaps of the 13th century.
The West Tower (12½ ft. square) is probably of the
13th century and is of three storeys, undivided
externally; the quoins are of rubble. The tower-arch
is modern; in the N. wall of the ground storey is a
lancet-window with an enlarged opening, modern
externally; in the S. wall is a doorway with chamfered
jambs and two-centred head, cutting into an earlier
blocked window; in the W. wall is a modern lancet-window. The second storey has a lancet-window in
the W. wall. The bell-chamber has a blocked window
with a segmental-pointed head in the E. wall; the
other walls have each a modern window. The tower
is capped by a timber broach-spire of some height;
the central post is modern, but some of the other timbers
are old material re-used.
Fittings—Bells: six; 3rd by John Finch, 1650;
4th by John Martin, 1666; 5th, early 15th-century and
from the Worcester foundry, inscribed "Eternis annis
resonet campana Johannis." Door: In tower-doorway
—modern but with remains of two 13th-century scrolled
and foliated strap-hinges. Monuments: In chancel—on
S. wall, (1) to Joyce (Barneby), wife of John Hibbyns,
1614, rectangular inscribed panel. In S. transept—
on W. wall, (2) to Ann (Caswall), widow of Ethelbert
Jay, 1664, rectangular inscribed panel. Panelling: In
chancel—on N. and S. walls, behind stalls, panelling
(Plate 49) of early 16th-century linen-fold type, with
moulded muntins and cornice carved with folded linen
bands and pateræ alternately; incorporated in stalls,
enriched early 17th-century panels with lozenge-shaped
designs, carved rails and muntins. Piscinæ: In chancel
—recess with chamfered jambs and recessed trefoiled
head, grooves for shelf and round projecting drain,
13th-century. In S. transept—in S. wall, recess with
projecting triangular head and square dished drain,
b(2). Footbridge, at the ford over Cogwell Brook,
S.E. of Stockton Cross, consists of two large flat slabs
of stone supported on abutments and a central pier of
stone. The structure may be of the 17th century.
b(3). Dovecote and fishpond, at Stockton Bury,
about 1,200 yards S.W. of the church. The Dovecote
(Plate 40) is a round stone structure with a conical
slate-covered roof, an open timber lantern and a weather-vane. The stone structure may be mediæval. Inside,
the building is fitted with stone nests and a revolving
frame and ladder, partly modern.
The Fishpond, S.E. of the house and now dry, is
divided by a bank into two basins.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century, timber-framed and
with tile, slate or stone-covered roofs. Many of the
buildings have exposed external timber-framing and
Condition—Good or fairly good.
b(4). Stanley Bank, house, nearly ¾ m. S.S.W. of the
church, has been refronted in stone.
b(5). Range of two cottages, known as the Old
Workhouse, on the N.E. side of the road, 310 yards
N.N.W. of (4). The W. tenement was built probably
early in the 16th century; the range was subsequently
extended to the E. and has an early 18th-century cross-wing at the E. end. The upper storey formerly projected on the S. front of the original building but has
been under-built; it has an original moulded bressummer
and a curved bracket at the W. end; in the upper
storey one window has an original moulded and projecting sill. In the upper storey of the extension is a
projecting window with a late 16th-century moulded
sill. The cross-wing is mostly stone-faced.
b(6). Stockton Terrace, three tenements, 30 yards N.W.
of (5). The S. tenement is earlier in date than the two
northern and N. of the range is an 18th-century
b(7). House, now two tenements, S. of the ford and
30 yards N.W. of (6).
b(8). Brook Farm, house, 800 yards S.W. of the
church, has a cross-wing at the S.E. end. At the N.W.
end is a lower building of much the same date. Parts
of the walls have been re-faced in stone.
b(9). Cottage, on the E. side of the road, 150 yards
W.N.W. of (8), was built probably early in the 16th
century. The upper storey projects on the W. front
on an original moulded bressummer and curved
b(10). Cross Inn, on the N. side of the cross-roads,
830 yards W.S.W. of the church, has an added late 17th-century staircase wing on the N. and various modern
additions. Inside the building, the staircase has
shaped slat-balusters, moulded strings and rails; there
is an original doorway with a flat pointed head.
b(11). Cottage, two tenements, 60 yards N. of (10),
was built probably early in the 18th century.
a(12). Grove Farm, house, 610 yards W. of the
church, has been largely re-built in stone.
a(13). Pateshall Farm, house (Plate 29), 600 yards
N.N.W. of the church, is a stone structure with five
gables on the S. front and a blocked window in each
a(14). Lower Kimbolton Farm, house, 600 yards N. of
the church, is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending
towards the N. and W. It has later additions at the
ends of the wings.
a(15). Upper Kimbolton Farm, house, ¼ m. E.N.E. of
(14), has a cross-wing at the N. end.
a(16). Cottage, at the Hundred, about 1½ m. N.N.W.
of the church, has a thatched roof.
c(17). The Lea, house, nearly 1 m. N.E. of the church,
has been largely re-built or recased in rubble. On the
N.E. side are a number of original windows, of three,
four, or five lights, with moulded frames and mullions.
The N.W. chimney-stack has three diagonal shafts, one
of which has projecting nibs in addition.
d(18). Upper Bache, house and dovecote, over 1 m.
S.E. of the church. The House is of late 16th or early
17th-century origin, but has been much altered in stone,
perhaps in 1729, the date on some woodwork. A late
17th-century outbuilding adjoins the house on the
The Dovecote (Plate 40), S.W. of the house, is a
square stone building gabled on each face and finished
with a timber lantern. It is probably of late 17th or
early 18th-century date. The interior retains its nests.
Bach Camp in Kimbolton Parish.
d(19). Upper Hamnish, house, 1,050 yards S.S.E. of
(18), is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending
towards the W. and N. It was cased in rubble in the
18th century and the W. wing extended.
d(20). Lower Hamnish, house, 650 yards W. of (19),
is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards
the S. and E. The earliest part is the middle of the
S. wing; the N. part bears the date and initials I.F.
1682, and the S. part is perhaps later. Most of the
E. wing is modern. The walls are now mostly of
d(21). Cottage, 90 yards S.W. of (20), has been largely
cased in rubble.
d(22). Bach Camp, on the E. border of the parish,
1½ m. S.E. of the church, occupies the S. end of a small
ridge (518 ft. above O.D.). The area of the enclosure
is about 6¼ acres, and the total area of the whole work
about 10½ acres.
The camp consists of an irregularly shaped enclosure
surrounded by a double rampart with a medial ditch.
The outer rampart is much smaller than the inner and
in many places has been destroyed; along almost the
whole of the W. side there is now no ditch, its place
being taken by a slight berm running along the one
deep scarp. Nevertheless, it seems likely that the
ditch originally continued along this side, which is
nearly as approachable as the E. side. The inner
rampart also is missing, leaving only a scarp, except
along the N. side; in this case, however, it is uncertain
that it ever existed. There are now three entrances.
That at the S. end has the inner scarp turned inwards
on each side of the opening. The second entrance is
at the N.W. angle, but there has been considerable
damage done at this point and it is possible that this
entrance is modern and that the rampart was originally
continuous. The third entrance is on the N., where
there is a simple gap in the inner rampart, but within
the enclosure the natural hill has been cut back forming
a sort of inner traverse, and at the same time forming a
broad inner ditch. Immediately E. of the S. entrance
there is another small length of scarping forming an
inner ditch. The interior of the camp was formerly
under the plough, and the scarp to the inner rampart
for a short distance has been largely flattened out. In
view of this fact there is a possibility that the small
portion of inner ditch on the S. and that existing on the
N. were joined along the whole of the E. side, in which
case the area of the actual enclosure would be reduced
to approximately 3½ acres. Internally, on the inner
scarp of the inner ditch on the N. and in the S. angle
of the same is a slight roughly circular sunk terrace
suggesting the site of a hut or some such work.