40 KINNERSLEY (B.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXIV, S.E., (b)XXV, N.W., (c)XXV,
Kinnersley is a parish 5 m. S.E. of Kington. The
church, with a gabled tower and interesting 17th-century
monument, and the late Elizabethan Kinnersley Castle
are the principal monuments.
Kinnersley, the Parish Church of St James
b(1). Parish Church of St. James (Plate 125) stands
near the middle of the parish. The walls are of local
sandstone rubble with dressings of the same material
and the roofs are covered with stone slates. The Nave
dates from about the middle of the 12th century. The
Chancel was re-built late in the 13th century. The N.
arcade was built and the North and South Aisles added
c. 1320–40 and probably soon after the North West
Tower was built; the South Porch was added in the 14th
century. The S. arcade was re-built late in the 15th
century; it was intended to extend the nave further
W. but this scheme was not proceeded with. The
church was restored in 1868, when the chancel-arch
was re-built. The North Vestry is modern but is
perhaps on the site of an earlier N. Porch.
The church is of some architectural interest, the
saddle-back roof of the tower being unusual. Among
the fittings the Smalman monument is noteworthy.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (26 ft. by
18½ ft.) is of late 13th-century date and has an E. window
of three cinque-foiled lights with a large trefoil in a
two-centred head; the rear-arch is shouldered at the
springing-level. The gable cross is ancient. The side
walls have each two windows, the eastern of two
cinque-foiled lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred
head and the western a single lancet-light; all have
shouldered rear-arches. A patch in the S. wall probably
represents a former doorway. The chancel-arch is
The Nave (50¼ ft. by 18½ ft.) has a 14th-century N.
arcade of four bays, with two-centred arches of two
chamfered orders; the octagonal columns and semi-octagonal responds have moulded capitals and bases;
on the N. face of the wall is a chamfered string-course,
broken by the heads of the arches, and perhaps of 12th-century date. The late 15th-century S. arcade is of four
bays with moulded two-centred arches continued down
the columns and responds, but with the roll-mouldings
or shafts interrupted by moulded bands and finished
with moulded bases; the W. respond is a partly
engaged column indicating the intention to carry the
arcade further W.; the E. respond stands on a square
moulded sub-base which may belong to an earlier
arcade or arch. E. of the arcade is a late 15th-century
stair-turret to the rood-loft; the doorways are blocked,
but there is a loop-light in the outer wall. In the W.
wall is a late 14th or early 15th-century window of three
trefoiled ogee lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head with a moulded label; below the window
is the round arch of a destroyed 12th-century doorway;
it is of one plain order with an enriched label and plain
chamfered imposts; higher up the wall are remains of
a 12th-century moulded string-course with cableornament.
The North Aisle (7¼ ft. wide) has a 14th-century E.
window of three cinque-foiled lights in a two-centred
head. In the N. wall are three windows, the two
easternmost of the 14th century and of three trefoiled
ogee lights in a square head, and the westernmost a
modern imitation; the 14th-century N. doorway has
chamfered jambs and two-centred head.
The South Aisle (9¾ ft. wide) has, in the S. wall, three
windows uniform with the corresponding windows in
the N. aisle; the early 14th-century S. doorway has
moulded jambs and two-centred arch.
The North-West Tower (about 12½ ft. square) is of
14th-century date and of four storeys, undivided
externally; it has a high battered plinth and is finished
with a gabled roof running E. and W. In the E. wall
of the ground stage is a plain pointed archway of
uncertain date; above it the wall-face on the E. is set
back. The N., S. and W. walls have each a window of
a single trefoiled ogee light; below the S. window is a
doorway made up of moulded stonework like that of
the S. arcade. The second storey has a window in the
W. wall similar to those in the storey below. The
third storey has a loop-light in the S. and W. walls.
The bell-chamber has in each wall a single-light
window; those on the E. and S. with trefoiled heads
and the others with modern square heads. The gables
have each a small loop-light.
The South Porch is mainly of the 14th century, and
has, at the S. end, moulded posts with curved braces
and a cambered tie-beam. The sides have each four
trefoiled heads cut in the same beam and with modern
supports forming four lights.
The Roof of the chancel is ceiled with modern
boarding. The trussed-rafter roof of the nave has
two tie-beams, and is perhaps of the 15th century.
The 14th-century pent-roof of the N. aisle continues
the slope of the nave roof; it has six trusses formed by
struts which, together with the principals, are foiled.
The pent-roof of the S. aisle is divided by trusses with
plain curved struts carried on wood brackets; these
brackets and the feet of the principals have applied
17th-century carvings, heads, roses, a cherub-head,
etc., but the roof itself may be older. The gabled roof
of the tower has two old trusses and curved wind-braces. The modern S. porch may incorporate some
Fittings—Bells: four; 1st by T. Clibury, 1671;
2nd by H. Farmer of Gloucester, inscribed "Frances
Smalman ES. C.G.S., 1618"; 4th by John Greene,
1634. Brass: In chancel—on N. wall, of William
Leviot, bachelor of canon law and rector, 1421, half
figure of priest in mass-vestments and inscription-plate.
Chairs (Plate 48): In chancel—two, with turned front
legs, curved arms and enriched and panelled backs with
bands of leaf-ornament and scrolled cresting with crown,
17th-century. Communion Table: with heavy bulbous
legs carved with conventional ornament, panelled and
enriched rails, late 16th-century. Communion Rails:
modern, but incorporating 17th-century turned
balusters. Door: In S. doorway—of broad battens
with modern backing, two strap-hinges, probably
17th-century. Glass: In N. aisle—in tracery of
middle N. window, grisaille glass, etc., 14th-century.
Lectern: with turned baluster-stem of wood, 17th-century. Locker: In chancel—in N. wall, with rebated
reveals and trefoiled head, grooves for shelf, late 13th-century. Monument and Floor-slabs: Monument:
In chancel—on N. wall, of Francis Smalman, 1633,
and Susan his second wife, 1632, monument erected by
William Smalman, their son, 1635, alabaster and black
marble wall-monument (Plate 126), with kneeling figures
of man in corselet, cloak, etc., and wife, under a draped
canopy in the form of an ermine-lined tent, held back
by flying cherubs with trumpets, deep projecting base
on carved stone brackets and having kneeling figures
of Francis, Jane, Jone, William and Alose Smalman, children of the two marriages, and of John,
William and Susan Clarke, children of the first wife by
a former husband, John Clarke, achievement and seven
shields-of-arms, monument regilt and repainted.
Floor-slabs: In S. aisle—(1) to Ann (Wight), wife of
Richard King, 1714; (2) to Joseph Good . . .,
16 . .; (3) defaced slab with date 168.. Piscinæ:
In chancel—recess with hollow-chamfered jambs and
trefoiled head, octofoiled drain, late 13th-century. In
N. aisle—in S. wall, recess with chamfered jambs and
trefoiled head, quatre-foiled drain, early 14th-century.
In S. aisle—in S. wall, recess with hollow-chamfered
jambs and four-centred head, round drain, broken
away, late 15th-century. Pulpit: modern but incorporating four panels with carved figures of virtues and
one with the Virgin and Child, panels of carved work,
and standing on four long scrolled and carved feet;
stairs incorporate two sections of carved frieze with
posts at the base carved with half female figures, 17th-century, and panels probably Flemish. Recesses: In
chancel—in N. wall, with square jambs and hollow-chamfered segmental-pointed arch, late 13th-century,
probably tomb-recess. In N. aisle—in N. wall, with
square jambs and moulded segmental arch, early
14th-century, probably tomb-recess. Reredos: probably a secular overmantel, with an added cresting; in
three main bays, middle bay with central panel with a
Crucifixion and subsidiary panels around it, side bays
each with an enriched arcaded panel, bays separated and
flanked by carved terminal figures, enriched base and
frieze, carved and scrolled cresting, probably modern,
rest late 16th or early 17th-century. Flanking reredos,
re-used, panelling of same period with some enriched
and arcaded panels and others with incised and carved
designs and with enriched bands between the panels.
Scratchings: On N. arcade of nave and on E. window of
N. aisle, various masons' marks. On steps of roodstair consecutive Roman numerals. Screen: Between
chancel and nave—lower part only with moulded posts
and rails and of two bays on each side of opening, each
bay in two ranges, lower close-panelled and upper with
a band of pierced quatrefoils, early 16th-century.
Stalls: modern but incorporating 17th-century carved
panels. Also in chancel, a foot stool made up of early
b(2). Kinnersley Castle, house (Plate 128) and remains of moat, immediately E. of the church. The House
is of three storeys with cellars; the walls are of rubble
and brick and the roofs are tiled. There was a
mediæval building on the site, but the existing house
seems to have been erected at the end of the 16th
century judging from the decoration of the drawing-room ceiling, which includes roses and fleurs-de-lis
but no thistle or other Scottish emblem. The property
passed about this time to Francis Smalman (d. 1633),
who may have re-built the house. A fireplace in the
drawing-room bears the Vaughan crest and a John
Vaughan seems to have been living here in 1616. The
brick gables of the house may possibly be an addition
to the stone building below. The E. end of the E.
wing is modern and may indicate that the house formerly
projected further in this direction. There is a lower
18th-century addition, containing the offices, on the
W. side. The plan is L-shaped with the wings
extending towards the E. and S.
The house is an interesting example of its period, and
the plaster ceiling of the drawing-room is noteworthy.
The N. Front is mainly of stone with moulded stringcourses between the storeys and is finished with three
brick crow-stepped gables with black brick diapering.
The windows are all of four lights, with moulded
mullions and two transoms in the lower storeys and a
single transom in the top storey. The entrance doorway has a round arch with an enriched archivolt and
moulded bases to the jambs. The porch is modern but
incorporates an old oak frame, carved lintel, enriched
cornice and carved brackets. The chimney-stack,
behind this front has five attached diagonal shafts.
The E. end of the N. wing is modern, and the S. front
of the same wing has modern windows. The staircase-wing, in the angle of the building, is divided into
five stages by moulded string-courses; the windows
are of three transomed lights, but the ground-floor
window on the S. is modern. The E. side of the S.
wing is generally similar to the N. front, with two brick
gables. The S. end of the S. wing has a re-built gable
and two modern turrets. The ground-floor window is
modern but the windows above, of six and four
transomed lights respectively, are old but partly restored.
The W. elevation is generally similar to the N. front,
but partly covered by a lower added wing; it has four
brick gables and windows similar to those on the other
Interior—The Entrance Hall is lined with original
panelling with a fluted frieze, partly modern, and
cresting above the window, probably re-set; in the W.
wall is a blocked doorway with an original moulded
frame. The Lobby, next the staircase, has some re-used
panelling. The Lower Drawing-room is lined with
original panelling with a gadrooned frieze and restored
cornice. In the 18th-century addition is some re-used
original panelling. On the first floor, the Upper
Drawing-room (Plate 127) has a fireplace (Plate 52)
with a flat enriched band round the opening, two
round panels and one enriched rectangular panel above,
bearing the Vaughan crest; the flanking Ionic columns
support an entablature above which the chimneybreast is covered by an elaborate oak-tree design in
modelled plaster, with a Tudor rose on the front of
the trunk; the feature is finished with an entablature,
the frieze enriched with running foliage and fruit.
The walls of the room are finished with a wide plaster
frieze, enriched with strapwork or scrolls, Tudor roses,
oak-leaves, etc.; at intervals are shields or cartouches
with various devices including fleurs-de-lis, Tudor rose,
harp, etc.; the window-recesses have tendril designs
with roses. The ceiling (Plate 72) is divided by
moulded ribs into a series of geometrical panels
enriched with rosettes, tendrils, cornucopia-motif,
scrolled snakes or monsters, etc.; it is partly painted
and gilt and is finished against the walls, with a moulded
cornice. A bedroom in the E. wing is partly lined with
original panelling. On the second floor is a considerable amount of original panelling, mostly re-set. A
bedroom in the E. wing has an overmantel of three
enriched arcaded bays, divided and flanked by terminal
figures; in the middle panel is a conventional rosetree, and the date 1618; the side panels have foliagesprigs and a fleur-de-lis; the upper part of the walls
has original plaster decoration of sprigs and tendrils
with rosettes, etc. A bedroom in the S. wing has an
overmantel partly made up of original panelling with
three arched panels, enriched pilasters and a carved
figure of a woman; the fireplace is flanked by terminal
figures. The staircase is of well-type with an enclosed
well; leading to it are two archways on the ground
floor made up with old oak; two doorways on the
second floor have old doors with original moulded
oak frames; at this level is fixed a table on ten balusters
which form a balustrade to the staircase; above this
point is a newel-staircase enclosed in framing with a
chamfered post and shaped bracket at the angle;
there is a similar post on the next floor; the newel-staircase is entered by an original door with a moulded
The Moat has been almost entirely filled in, but there
are remains to the N. and E. of the house.
Condition—Of house, good.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys,
timber-framed and with tile, stone or slate-covered
roofs. Many of the buildings have exposed external
timber-framing and internal ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good.
b(3). Cottage, on the N. side of the road at Sallys,
nearly ¾ m. E.N.E. of the church, has been heightened
in the 18th century.
b(4). Cottage, 120 yards N.E. of (3), was built probably
early in the 18th century.
b(5). Cottage, on the edge of the parish, 200 yards
E.N.E. of (4), has been refaced in brick and altered in
the 18th century.
b(6). Barn, at the Parks, 1,650 yards E. of the church,
is of one storey, with a range of wattle-filled panels
under the eaves.
b(7). Cottage, two tenements, ¾ m. N.E. of the church,
was perhaps reconstructed with older materials early
in the 18th century; it has a half-hipped gable on the
b(8). Newchurch Farm, house, 100 yards N.W. of
(7), is of H-shaped plan with the cross-wings at the N.
and S. ends. It has been partly refaced in brick and
stone in the 18th century.
a(9). Cottage, on the N. edge of the parish at
Logaston, nearly 1¼ m. N. of the church. The S.
wall has been raised in the 18th century.
b(10). Cottage, 200 yards S.W. of (9), has been much
altered and extended towards the N. About 15 yards
S.W. of the cottage is a partly weather-boarded barn.
b(11). Gate Farm, house (Plate 32), on the N.W.
side of the road, ¼ m. S.W. of the church, has later
additions at both ends and two modern porches and
gables on the S. side.
b(12). Cottage (Plate 26), 50 yards S.W. of (11), is
of mediæval date and has two original crutch-trusses,
one in the W. wall and one in the middle of the
c(13). House, at Ailey, 1,230 yards S.S.W. of the
church, has been largely re-built except for the much
altered S. wing.
c(14). Cottage, on the S. side of the road, 100 yards
S. of (13), has been much altered.
c(15). Ailey Farm, house, 80 yards W.S.W. of (14),
was built probably late in the 16th century. In the
17th century it was extended towards the E. and a wing
added on the S. The N. wall has been heightened.
Inside the building are some original moulded ceiling-beams.
c(16). Upper Ailey Farm, house, 1,600 yards S.S.W.
of the church and 170 yards W. of (15), is of T-shaped
plan with the cross-wing at the W. end. The N. part
of the cross-wing is perhaps of slightly later date than
the main block. The upper storey projects at both
ends of the cross-wing on shaped brackets partly
modern; the northern projection has a moulded
bressummer and below it is an original window of four
c(17). House, now Post Office, and Mason's Arms
Inn, 100 yards W. of (16), was built probably late in the
16th century on an L-shaped plan with the wings
extending towards the E. and S. There are various
modern additions. On the N. front is a moulded
eaves-beam with shaped brackets below it. Adjoining
the E. wing is a weather-boarded outbuilding.
c(18). Old Castle Farm, house, 100 yards W. of (17),
has been re-built except the back wall. To the N.W. is
a cottage, now used as a dairy, and adjoining it is an
c(19). Cottage, 140 yards S. of (18), has a large projecting chimney-stack on the N. side.
c(20). Lower Ailey Farm, house, 1,480 yards S. of the
church, is of T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the
S. end. There are various modern additions.
a(21). Little Parton, house, 1½ m. S.W. of the church,
incorporates an old cottage.
b(22). Upper Newton Farm, house and outbuilding,
1,100 yards W. of the church. The House was built
c. 1600 on a T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the N.
end. There are 18th-century and modern additions.
The E. end of the cross-wing has a moulded beam at
the first-floor level and the gable projects on a moulded
beam and shaped brackets. Inside the building are
some moulded ceiling-beams.
The Outbuilding, N. of the house, is now a garage.
b(23). Lower Newton Farm, house, 400 yards E.N.E.
of (22), has diagonal framing in the S.E. gable.
b(24). Cottage, 30 yards S.W. of (23).
b(25). Lower Newton Cottages, 90 yards N.W. of (23).
The northern portion is of the 18th century.
b(26). Cottage, 40 yards N.W. of (25), has later