41 KINSHAM (B.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)VI, S.W., (b)XI, N.W.)
Kinsham is a parish 7 m. N.E. of Kington. The
church is the principal monument.
b(1). Church of All Saints stands on the S.E. side
of the parish. The walls are of local sandstone rubble
rough-cast, and with dressings of the same material;
the roofs are tiled. The church, consisting of continuous Chancel and Nave, was built late in the 13th
or early in the 14th century. It has been restored in
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (23 ft. by
19½ ft.) has a late 13th or early 14th-century E. window
of two trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head. In the N. wall is a window of c. 1300
and of one trefoiled light; further W. is a doorway
of the same date, with chamfered jambs and two-centred head. In the S. wall is a window similar to
that in the N. wall. There is no chancel-arch.
The Nave (34¼ ft. by 19½ ft.) has, in the N. wall a
window all modern except parts of the jambs; the
N. doorway, of c. 1300, has chamfered jambs and two-centred head. In the S. wall is a window all modern
except the sill; further E. is a 'low-side' window of
one square-headed light and fitted with an iron grate
and a shutter; the S. doorway, now blocked, is similar
to the N. doorway. In the W. wall is a window of
c. 1300 and of one trefoiled light. In the gable is a
Fittings—Altar: In the chancel-floor—slab (6¾ ft.
by 3½ ft.) with consecration-crosses in two corners,
mediæval. Bell: one, probably by A. Rudhall, c.
1700. Communion Table: with turned legs and moulded
rails, early 18th-century, top modern. Communion
Rails: with turned balusters and book-board, early
18th-century. Door: In gallery-partition—panelled
door with fanlight divided by three flat radiating
balusters, 17th-century. Font: octagonal bowl with
hollow-splayed underside, probably 15th-century, brick
base. Gallery: In nave—at W. end, resting on two
oak posts with moulded capitals and bases; front with
fielded panels, panelled standards and moulded capping,
early 18th-century. Glass: In E. window—jumble
of fragments including border with fleurs-de-lis and
towers, parts of figures, etc., probably 14th-century.
Panelling: On walls and partition in nave—dado of
fielded panels, early 18th-century. In chancel—
priest's desk panelled in two heights, with moulded
cornice, early 18th-century. Piscinæ: In chancel—
recess with trefoiled head, round drain set in projection
and stone shelf at back, c. 1300. In nave—in S. wall,
recess with trefoiled head and round drain, projection
cut back, stone shelf, c. 1300. Plate: includes cup of
1571 with band of engraved ornament. Pulpit: of
oak, semi-hexagonal, sides panelled in two heights,
lower plain and upper with half-round heads, moulded
cornice, early 18th-century. Miscellanea: In chancel—
small box carved with ornamental designs, perhaps
b(2). Lower Court, house, now three tenements,
and moat, 630 yards S.S.W. of the church. The House
(Plate 30) is of two storeys, timber-framed but largely
refaced with stone; the roofs are covered with slates.
The N.E. wing incorporates the wing of a 14th or
15th-century house; the rest of the building appears to
be not earlier than the 17th century. The upper storey
projects at the N.W. end of the original wing which has
some heavy exposed timber-framing; the gable also
projects. Inside the building are some exposed ceiling-beams and wall-posts. In the older wing is an original
doorway with an ogee head, now opening into a
The Moat appears to have surrounded the house, but
has now been mostly filled in.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys,
timber-framed and with tile or slate-covered roofs.
Some of the buildings have exposed external timber-framing and internal ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
b(3). The Old Rectory, house, 680 yards S.W. of the
church, is of T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the
S.E. end. It has been much altered and the walls
raised in modern times.
b(4). Cottage, 40 yards N.N.W. of (3), has a later
outbuilding on the N.E.
b(5). Cottage, on the N.W. wide of the road, 120
yards S.W. of (4).
b(6). Cottage, nearly opposite (5).
b(7). Old Mill, cottage, 180 yards S. of the church,
has been considerably altered and added to. Some
remains of ditches S.E. of the house may indicate the
line of a former mill-race.
a(8). Goddic, cottage, 1,150 yards N. of the church,
is partly of stone and has been partly faced with brick.
a(9). Cadwell, house and barn, about ½ m. N.W. of
the church. The House has been remodelled in modern
times and refronted in brick. Inside the building is an
old fireplace with roughly moulded stone jambs. The
Barn, E. of the house, is of four bays, weather-boarded.
a(10). Noisy Hall, cottage, 1¼ m. N.W. of the church,
is of late 17th or early 18th-century date, and has stone
b(11). Mound, about 100 yards from the river Lugg,
and 1,120 yards S.S.W. of the church, is roughly
circular, about 7 ft. in height and about 41 yards in
diameter at the base.
b(12). Mound, about 300 yards W.N.W. of (11), is
roughly circular, about 4 ft. high and about 32 yards
in diameter at the base. About 120 yards N.E. of the
mound is a stone of roughly oval form, 8½ ft. long and
rising 2 ft. out of the ground. On the top surface are
four circular sinkings about 3 in. in diameter.
Condition—Of mound, poor.