42 KNILL (A.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. X, S.E.)
Knill is a small parish 2½ m. N. of Kington. The
church is the principal monument.
(1). Parish Church of St. Michael stands at the
S. end of the parish. The walls are largely of local
igneous rock with dressings and some rough ashlar
of sandstone; the roofs are covered with stone slates.
The Chancel was built late in the 12th century, and the
Nave is perhaps of the same date, though there is no
evidence of this. The West Tower was added early in
the 13th century. The W. wall of the tower together
with the W. ends of the adjoining walls were re-built
at a later date. The church was drastically restored in
1876, when most of the old features were renewed;
the South Porch is modern.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (16½ ft. by
14 ft.) has a modern E. window. In the N. wall is a
partly restored late 12th-century window of one round-headed light; further W. is a modern recess for the
organ. In the S. wall is a modern window. There
is no chancel-arch.
The Nave (36½ ft. by 17¼ ft.) has two modern
windows in the N. wall and two in the S. wall. The
14th-century S. doorway has chamfered jambs and
two-centred head; the rear-arch is modern.
The West Tower (13 ft. by 11¾ ft.) is of three storeys
undivided externally and finished with a modern
embattled parapet. The early 13th-century tower-arch has plain responds and two-centred arch; above
it is a modern or much restored opening. The S. and
W. walls have each a modern single-light window.
The second storey has, in the N. and S. walls, a single
loop-light. The bell-chamber has, in the S. and W.
walls, a single square-headed light; in the N. wall is the
E. splay of a similar window, destroyed when the W.
side of the tower was re-built.
Fittings—Bells: three; 1st of 1638 and 3rd of 1649.
Bell-frame old. Brass: In chancel—to H.W., 1713–4,
W.W., 1712–3, and R.W., 1716–7, small inscription-plate.
Churchyard Cross (Plate 46): S. of nave—square base
with trefoil-headed niche in W. face, square to octagonal
tapering shaft, square capping with ogee-headed panel in
each face and gabled top terminating in a small cross,
the whole standing on three square steps, probably 14th-century. Communion Table: largely modern but incorporating four early 17th-century turned legs. Cupboard:
In chancel—in S. wall, small rectangular recess, with
modern frame and door. Font (Plate 57): octagonal
bowl with splayed underside, each face with sunk panel
carved with varied conventional and geometrical
designs including simple interlacements, saltire-designs,
rosette, etc., probably c. 1200, column-base re-used as
stem. Monuments: In nave—on N. wall, (1) to
Elizabeth (Child), wife of John Walsham, 1685, white
marble tablet with round head, cartouche-of-arms,
scrolls and cherub-head. In churchyard—S. of tower,
(2) to John Walsham, 1677, flat slab; (3) to Joan
Walsham, 1680, flat slab. Panelling: In ground stage
of tower—on S. wall, dado of 17th-century panelling.
Piscina: In chancel—recess with plain round head,
c. 1200, modern drain. Plate: includes cup and cover-paten of 1696, given by Mrs. Walsham in 1753, also
a large 17th-century pewter cup. Stoup: In nave—E.
of S. doorway, recess with trefoiled head and projecting
sill, late 13th-century, now containing an old stone
Condition—Good, much restored.
(2). Knill Court, 100 yards S. of the church, is of
two storeys with cellars and attics. It may be of
mediæval origin and the masonry of the S.E. angle, with
a moulded string-course, is perhaps of earlier date than
the 16th century. Modern inscriptions record an
enlargement of the house in 1561 and its almost
complete rebuilding in 1867. Inside the building, the
Library has an early 17th-century overmantel of two
bays with terminal figures, panelled bays and a fluted
frieze; the fireplace is flanked by fluted Doric pilasters.
The fireplace (Plate 52) in the Dining-room is flanked
by early 17th-century arabesque oak panels and Ionic
columns supporting a richly carved overmantel; this is
of three bays divided and flanked by terminal figures and
finished with a carved entablature; the panelled middle
bay encloses a small half-figure holding a shield with
the date 1632; the side bays have each a rich arched
panel enclosing a vase of conventional flowers.
(3). Knill Farm, house and outbuildings, 220 yards
N. of the church. The House is of two storeys with
cellars and attics; the walls are timber-framed and the
roofs are covered with stone slates. It was built
probably early in the 17th century, with a cross-wing
at the W. end. The roof of the E. wing has been
raised. Inside the building some of the framing and
ceiling-beams are exposed. There is also some re-used
The Outbuildings project northwards from the cross-wing, and on the N. and E. sides of the yard are barns;
there is a range of cow-sheds, etc., on the S. side of the
yard. All these are of 17th-century date and are
(4). School-house and cottage, 300 yards N. of the
church, is of one storey with attics, timber-framed, and
with a thatched roof. It was built in the 17th century
and has some exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good, re-built with old materials in 1933
and no longer a school.
N.B.—For Offa's Dyke, see p. xxx.