Bartestree

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Year published

1932

Supporting documents

Pages

9-10

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Bartestree', An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 2: East (1932), pp. 9-10. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=124879 Date accessed: 28 November 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

6 BARTESTREE (C.d.)

(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXXIV, N.W.,(b)XXXIV, S.W.)

Bartestree is a very small parish 4 m. E.N.E. of Hereford.

Ecclesiastical

b(1). Chapel of St. James, on the W. side of the parish, was entirely re-built in 1887. It contains the following:—

Fitting—Plate: includes a paten of 1707.

b(2). Chapel, forming part of the Convent of Our Lady of Charity at the S. end of the parish, was formerly a private chapel at Old Longworth in the parish of Lugwardine. The building was long used as a barn but was restored in 1860 and removed and re-erected at the Convent in 1869–70; it now forms part of the convent-chapel. It was probably first built in the latter part of the 14th century, and an engraving in the Gent's Mag. of 1792 shows its appearance before restoration.

Architectural Description—The Chapel (40½ ft. by 16½ ft.) as re-erected stands S.S.W. and N.N.E. and has a S. window of three cinque-foiled lights with tracery in a segmental-pointed head. In the E. wall are four windows, each of two cinque-foiled lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head. The other walls have no ancient features. Re-set in the porch is a window of two trefoiled ogee lights in a square head.

The Roof is partly old and has three trusses with curved braces below the collars, and foiled wind-braces; the N. part of the roof is of trussed rafter type.

Fittings—Locker: In S. wall—recess with trefoiled ogee head. Piscina: In S. wall—recess with cinque-foiled ogee head and slot for shelf, drain modern.

Condition—Good, masonry mostly re-cut or renewed.

Secular

Monuments (3–8)

The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys, timber-framed and with slate-covered roofs. Most of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams.

Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.

b(3). Bartestree Court, house 230 yards N.N.W. of the church, has exposed timber-framing on the W. side, with a cross-wing at the N. end and a modern addition beyond it.

b(4). Den Cottage, 100 yards E.N.E. of the church, has a thatched roof and exposed framing. The roof projects about five feet on the N. side.

a(5). Pomona Corner, cottage at the cross-roads, 1,220 yards N. of the church, is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the N. and E. The roof is thatched and some of the framing is exposed.

a(6). Barn at Pomona Farm, on the S. side of the road, 370 yards E. of (5), has a corrugated iron roof. The framing is partly exposed.

a(7). Pomona Cottage, 200 yards E. of (6), has exposed framing.

Condition—Poor.

a(8). Cottage, 280 yards N. of (5), has exposed framing and a thatched roof.



<--Previous:
Aylton
Next:-->
Bishop's Frome