15 BROCKHAMPTON by Ross (C.e.)
(O.S. 6 in. XLVI, N.E.)
Brockhampton is a parish on the left bank of the Wye,
5 m. N. of Ross. The old church, Fawley Chapel and
Fawley Court are the principal monuments.
(1). Parish Church of the Holy Trinity (disused)
(Plate 5) stands in the N. part of the parish. The
walls are of sandstone rubble with dressings of the
same material; the roofs are covered with stone slates.
The church, consisting of Chancel and Nave, was
built early in the 15th century. The West Tower was
added or re-built probably late in the 16th century, and
the South Porch is of the same or rather later date.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (15½ ft. by
14 ft.) has a three-light E. window, all modern except
the 15th-century splays and rear-arch. The N. and S.
walls have each a 16th or 17th-century window of two
square-headed lights. There is no chancel-arch.
The Nave (26½ ft. by 14 ft.) has in both the N. and
S. walls an early 15th-century window of two cinque-foiled lights with tracery in a two-centred head. The
early 15th-century S. doorway has chamfered jambs
and a later elliptical arch.
The West Tower (5¾ ft. by 18 ft.) is of two stages
and probably of late 16th-century date. The tower-arch
is two-centred and of one chamfered order with plain
responds. The course below the springing projects
to the W. as corbelling and supports an irregular
plastered corbelling above. The early 15th-century
W. window is of two trefoiled lights with tracery in a
two-centred head; the external face appears to be
formed of the original splays and rear-arch, set the
wrong way out. The upper stage has, in the E., N. and
S. walls, a small square-headed window; there is a
second similar window in the S. wall. The roof is
gabled from E. to W.
The South Porch is of late 16th or early 17th-century
date and has an outer archway with a chamfered
segmental lintel of timber. In the E. wall is a blocked
The Roofs of the chancel and nave are ceiled except
for the 15th-century moulded ridge-pieces and the
chamfered wall-plates. Between the chancel and the
nave is a plain tie-beam and king-post.
Fittings—Bells: inaccessible. Churchyard Cross:
S. of chancel—square base with pointed niche in W.
face and standing on three steps, square shaft with stop-chamfered angles, 14th-century, head missing. Glass:
In W. window—in tracery, fragments including head
and wings of an angel, 15th-century. Monuments:
In churchyard—S.E. of chancel, (1) to Thomas Davis,
1713, head-stone; (2) to Robert Phelpotts, 1701;
E. of chancel, (3) to John How, head-stone, late 17th-century; N.E. of chancel, (4) to Mary, daughter of
Thomas Barry, head-stone, 1699; S.W. of porch, (5) to
William Wilim, 1680–1, head-stone; (6) to Mary, wife of
William Willym, 1682–3. Piscina: In chancel—recess
with chamfered jambs and segmental head, square
projecting drain, 15th-century. Stoup: In nave—E.
of S. doorway, recess with plastered elliptical head, and
semi-octagonal bowl, 15th-century.
In modern church of All Saints—Chair: with
panelled back, fluted top rail, shaped arms and turned
front legs, c. 1630. Plate: includes cup of 1637,
with baluster stem. Reredos: In S. transept—Flemish
triptych with moulded framing and nine carved and
painted panels of the Passion; wings painted, internally, with Christ and the Virgin and the Descent from
the Cross, and externally with conventional designs and
the initials IHS and MARI~, early 16th-century.
(2). Chapel of St. John, Fawley (Plate 8), stands
nearly 1½ m. S.S.W. of Holy Trinity church. The walls
are of sandstone rubble with dressings of the same
material, and a rough ashlar-facing to the S. wall of
the nave; the roofs are covered with slates. The Nave
was built in the 12th century, but was widened towards
the S. and probably lengthened towards the W., perhaps
in the 14th century. The chapel appears to have been
restored in the 16th or 17th century when a bell-chamber
was inserted in the W. end of the nave. The Chancel
was re-built in 1827.
Chapel of St. John, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel is modern
except the W. wall which has a 12th-century chancel
arch with responds and round arch of one plain order
and chamfered imposts; the openings flanking the
arch are modern.
The Nave (40½ ft. by 23½ ft.) has, in the N. wall, two
windows, the eastern of the 14th century, but with a
modern square head; the western window is modern;
the blocked N. doorway has chamfered jambs and round
arch, of late 12th-century date, with a modern label.
In the S. wall are two modern windows; the S. doorway is 18th-century or modern. In the W. wall is a
single-light window, with a square head. The timber-framed bell-chamber, under the main roof, is lit by a
window, in the W. wall, of two four-centred lights.
The Roof of the nave is of the 14th century and of
four bays, with chamfered wall-plates and curved
braces under the principals and collar-beams.
Fittings—Bells; inaccessible. Chair: In chancel—
with turned legs, curved arms, panelled and carved
back and scrolled cresting, c. 1630. Coffin-lid: Re-set
in W. wall of nave, with cross in low relief, 13th-century, broken. Font: of tapering tub-form with
scalloped top and sloped base, early 12th-century,
17th-century initials I.C. and E.T. cut on rim, modern
base. Floor-slabs: In nave—(1) to Richard Cope, sen.,
16 . . ., Richard his son and Elizabeth his wife, 1686,
also their daughter Elianor, 1668; (2) to Elizabeth,
daughter of Richard Bellamy, 1699; (3) to William
Bellamy, 1688–9. Screen: In nave—at W. end, one
whole and two half bays of screen, open with two-centred heads and traceried spandrels, posts with
attached buttresses, 15th-century, base missing.
(3). Fawley Court, house and barns, over 1½ m.
S.W. of Holy Trinity church. The House is of two
storeys with cellars and attics; the walls are partly of
stone with some ashlar-facing and partly of plastered
timber-framing; the roofs are tiled. The southern of
the two adjoining wings on the E. side of the house is
of early 16th-century date; the northern was added
later in the same century. The rest of the house was
re-built c. 1630–40. The kitchen-wing has been
replaced by a modern building at the S. end of the house.
The W. Front (Plate 20) is ashlar-faced with a porch
and two bay-windows. The porch has a two-centred
outer archway with a moulded label and imposts; the
side-walls have each a window of two elliptical-headed
lights in a square head with a moulded label. The
windows on the main front are of similar character,
those of the ground-floor having transoms and four
lights, and those above three or two lights. The bay-windows are of semi-octagonal form with embattled
parapets and single-light windows in the canted and
returned sides. The two projecting bays on the
E. front (Plate 25) are of rubble and exposed timber-framing above, of slightly different character in the
two bays. Inside the building, the main entrance, in
the porch, has a round head with chamfered imposts;
the porch has a door with a round-headed wicket, large
strap-hinges and a scutcheon-plate (Plate 66) with the
initials I.K. (John Kyrle) and the date 1635. The hall
has a wide stone fireplace with moulded jambs and
four-centred arch; the walls have a dado of mid and
late 17th-century panelling; and the ceiling has stop-chamfered beams. The adjoining room on the N. is
lined with mid 17th-century panelling, with a modern
cornice; the fireplace has moulded jambs and four-centred arch in a square head with roses in the
spandrels; the carved overmantel (Plate 65) is of
two arched bays, with terminal figures and scrolled
enrichments. In the windows is some old glass
including a 17th-century shield of Kyrle impaling
Scudamore, and fragments. The main staircase, 1630–
40, has turned balusters, moulded strings and square
newels with ball-terminals. The S.E. staircase has
The Barn, W. of the house, is of late 17th-century
date, timber-framed and plastered, with a S. porch.
The barn, E. of the house, is probably of 16th-century
origin, re-built in the 17th century. It is timber-framed and plastered and has one early truss with king
(4). Much Fawley, house and barn, S.E. of Fawley
Chapel. The House is of two storeys with cellars and
attics; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are covered
with slates. The house incorporates remains of a 14th-century building, and the S. cross-wing may be, substantially, of this date. The middle part of the house
retains its mediæval crutch-trusses and the northern part
is probably of the 15th century. There is an addition
of c. 1600 between the cross-wing and the main block,
and some modern additions. A mediæval buttress
remains at the E. end of the S. front, and the addition of
c. 1600 has two blocked windows of that date. Behind
it is an early chimney-stack, carried on shaped corbels.
There is some exposed timber-framing on the E. side.
Inside the building, the N. wall of the cross-wing
contains two 14th-century stone doorways, one with a
shouldered head and the other with a segmental-pointed
rear-arch. Two early crutch-trusses remain in the
middle part of the house with later timbering inserted
in them. Several rooms have exposed ceiling-beams
and timber-framing, and the N. wing has a 15th-century
cambered tie-beam with curved braces and wind-braces.
The Barn, S.W. of the house, is of rubble with a N.
porch. It was built in the 17th century and has two
ranges of loops.
Condition—Good, much altered.
(5). Seabourne's Farm, house, E. of Fawley Chapel,
is of two storeys with cellars. The walls are of rubble
and timber-framing and the roofs are covered with
slates. The middle part of the house was built in the
16th century, and the W. end and the corridor on the
N. side added in the 17th century. There is a modern
extension on the E. Inside the building some of the
timber-framing and ceiling-beams are exposed; there
is also a six-light window with diamond-shaped mullions.
Condition—Good, much altered.
(6). Cottage, at Brinkley Hill, on the E. side of the
road, ¾ m. W.S.W. of Holy Trinity church, is of two
storeys, timber-framed with brick filling; the roofs are
tiled. It was built late in the 17th century, and has
(7). Cottage, S.W. of (6), is of two storeys, timber-framed with brick filling; the roofs are tiled. It was
built late in the 17th century and has exposed timber-framing and ceiling-beams.
(8). Earthwork, on the S.E. side of the road, 600
yards N. of (3), has been much ploughed down. It is
shown as of roughly oval form on the O.S., but all that
can now be seen is a slight sinking of indeterminate
shape. The ground slopes away on all sides.