29 DONNINGTON (D.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XLI, S.E., (b)XLII, S.W.)
Donnington is a small parish 2½ m. S. of Ledbury.
The church and camp are the principal monuments.
a(1). 400 yards N. of the Green Way, a Roman
structure, possibly a kiln, was found:—"an ancient
floor 2 ft. to 2 ft. 6 in. below the present surface level,
and, scattered about, fragments of undoubted Roman
pottery, a part of a hypocaust tile, a nail and a portion
of tesserae. The soil contains fragments of brick and
ashes." Another structure, demolished here in 1906,
was circular in general form, "18 ins. internal diameter,
5 ft. in height inside, domed over at the top, and built
of uncoursed masonry of greenish grit stone. The
walls were 9 ins. in thickness and built without mortar.
The depth of the top of the doming below the surface
was 3 ft. The pit contained fragments of broken
Roman red tiles and pottery and bones of a sheep"
(Woolhope Club Trans., 1908–1911, 69 and 108).
a(2). Parish Church of St. Mary stands on the W.
side of the parish. The walls are of local sandstone
rubble and ashlar, and the roofs are covered with tiles,
stone slates and modern slates. The Nave was built
probably in the 14th century, and the Chancel was added
or re-built rather later but perhaps in the same century.
The church was drastically restored in 1862, and the
North Aisle, North Vestry and South Porch are modern.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (18½ ft. by
13¾ ft.) has no ancient features, except the chancel-arch,
which has probably been re-built, but with the old
material; it is segmental-pointed and of one square
order, perhaps of the 14th century.
The Nave (31½ ft. by 17 ft.) has a modern N. arcade.
In the S. wall are two windows, the eastern of the
14th century partly restored and of two cinque-foiled
lights with a quatre-foiled spandrel in a two-centred
head; the western window is modern; the S. doorway
is modern. In the W. wall is a modern window.
The Roof of the chancel is modern, but incorporates
two old purlins. The 16th or 17th-century roof of the
nave has two king-post trusses and, at the W. end, a
truss of modified queen-post type, carrying the E. side
of the timber bell-turret.
Fittings—Bells: two, inaccessible, but said to be
modern. Piscina: In chancel—recess with chamfered
jambs and trefoiled arch in a square head with pierced
spandrels, round drain, early 14th-century. Scratchings: In nave—on sill of S.E. window, initials I.H.
and H.I., early 17th-century.
Condition—Good, much restored.
a(3). Homestead Moat, 80 yards S. of the church, is
of rectangular form and still partly wet. There is some
fragmentary scarping enclosing the area round the moat,
church and Court Farm.
a(4). Barn, at Donnington Hall, 960 yards S. of the
church, is timber-framed and has a tiled roof. It was
built in the 17th century, but has been much restored
and converted into garages and stables.
a(5). Donnington Farm, house and cow-shed, 280
yards S. of the church. The House is of two storeys
with attics and cellars; the walls are of brick and the
roofs are tiled. The N. end of the house was built
early in the 18th century and has a band between the
storeys and a slightly projecting central bay with a
pediment. The windows have solid frame, mullion
and transom. Inside the building the original staircase
has turned balusters.
The Cow-shed, N.W. of the house, is timber-framed
and of three bays. It was built in the 17th century and
has been partly reconstructed.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys;
the walls are timber-framed and the roofs are tiled.
Some of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams and
Condition—Good or fairly good.
a(6). Cottage, 230 yards S. of (5).
a(7). House, two tenements, 520 yards E. of the
church. The S.W. wall is hung with slates.
b(8). Smallends Farm, house, on the S. side of the
road, 1,060 yards E.S.E. of the church, has a later wing
at the N. end and additions at the S. end.
b(9). Little London, cottage, on the S. side of the road,
over 1¼ m. E. of the church.
b(10). Earthwork (Plan, p. xxvi), in the N.W. angle
of Haffield Park, 1 m. E. of the church, occupies the
top of a hill 350 ft. above O.D. It is of irregular oval
form, enclosed by a continuous scarp; the S.W. end
has a berm and a secondary natural scarp. There is an
entrance at the N.E. corner, which may be of later
date. The area, including the defences, is about 6½
b(11). The Vineyard, on Haffield Bank, ¾ m. S.E.
of the church, earthworks consisting of two lines of
rectangular enclosures on a S. slope. They are
separated longitudinally by narrow terraces and transversely by banks. It seems likely that they represent
a former vineyard.
Earthworks at "the Vineyard". Situated in the Parish of Donnington.