Egleton

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Year published

1932

Supporting documents

Pages

77-78

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Egleton', An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 2: East (1932), pp. 77-78. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=124907 Date accessed: 20 April 2014. Add to my bookshelf


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

34 EGLETON (C.c.)

(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXVIII, S.W., (b)XXXV, N.W.)

Egleton is a small parish, united ecclesiastically with Stretton Grandison, and lying 6½ m. N.W. of Ledbury.

Secular

b(1). Moor Court, house and outbuildings, on the W. side of the road at Upper Egleton. The House is of two storeys, timber-framed and with tiled roofs. It was built early in the 17th century on an L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the W. and N. A late 17th-century outbuilding to the W. was joined to the W. wing in the 18th or early in the 19th century when the roofs of the whole building were reconstructed. There are modern additions at both ends. The timber-framing, in square panels, is exposed on both sides of the house. Inside the building are some exposed ceiling-beams and a door of original panelling with cock's-head hinges.

The Barn, N. of the house, is of the 17th century, timber-framed and of three bays. The stables, N.E. of the house, are of two storeys, timber-framed and of three bays. It is probably of late 17th-century date.

Condition—Good.

a(2). Upper Egleton Court, house and outbuildings, 150 yards N.N.E. of (1). The House is of two storeys, partly timber-framed and with tiled roofs. It is mostly modern but incorporates a late 16th-century wing with exposed timber-framing. The framing in the N. gable is set diagonally. Inside the building are some exposed ceiling-beams.

The Outbuilding, W. of the house, retains some 17th-century timber-framing. The farm-buildings, S.E. of the house, are partly of the 17th century and timber-framed.

Condition—Good.

Monuments (3–18)

The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys, timber-framed and with tile or slate-covered roofs. Most of the buildings have exposed external timber-framing and chamfered ceiling-beams, and some have original chimney-stacks.

Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.

b(3). Cottage, on the E. side of the road, opposite Moor Court (1).

b(4). Cottage, 550 yards S.E. of Moor Court, has been partly refaced in brick.

a(5). Cottage, on the S. side of the road at Lower Egleton and 60 yards E. of Egleton Bridge, is of T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the E. end.

a(6). Cottage, 50 yards E. of (5), is of late 17th or early 18th-century date.

a(7). Cottage, 60 yards E. of (6).

b(8). Lower Egleton Court, house and outbuildings, 70 yards S.E. of (7). The House has been re-built except for the W. wing which is of two storeys with attics. The Outbuildings, N. of the house, consist of a range running E. and W. and a barn to the S.W. of it.

a(9). Cottage, 60 yards N.E. of (8), is of late 17th or early 18th-century date, with a S. wall of brick.

a(10). Cottage, on the N. side of the road, 500 yards E. of Egleton Bridge, has been largely refaced with brick.

a(11). Cottage, two tenements, 40 yards E. of (10), was built c. 1600 and has three gables on the S. side; it has been partly refaced in brick.

a(12). Cottage, 400 yards E. of (11).

a(13). Old Grove Farm, house and outbuildings, on the S. side of the road, 160 yards E. of (12). The House has been much altered and has a modern extension on the W. The Cider-house, E. of the house, is of two bays. The Barn, S. of the house, is of four bays.

a(14). Wolfs Cottage, on the S. side of the road, 200 yards E. of (13), contains an early 16th-century beam, probably re-used. There is a 17th-century panelled door.

a(15). Barn, at Blackway House near the N.E. border of the parish, is of late 17th or early 18th-century date.

a(16). Cottage, on the S.W. side of the road, 170 yards E. of (15), is of late 17th or early 18th-century date.

a(17). Cottage, on the E. border of the parish, 550 yards S.E. of (16).

Condition—Poor.

b(18). Taper Meadow, cottage, two tenements, 330 yards S.S.E. of (16), has been altered and partly refaced.



<--Previous:
Edvin Ralph
Next:-->
Evesbatch