p. 4, n4: In 1308 twenty-one Templars held by the sheriff of
Yorkshire could not stay in York Castle because the
houses there were damaged and roofless. He had to rent
for 35s. a house in the city as a prison for them (PRO
E358/18 rot. 31(1), under 'vadia fratrum'). Cf. CCR
p. 9b, n7: The city ditch of Lincoln was also known as the
Werkdyke: F. Hill, Mediaeval Lincoln (1948), 160–61.
p. 51a, §1: The inscription, now in Scarborough Museum,
reads: 'THIS Mote was cleaned out & 99 Guns Mounted
on account of the Rebellion by Subscription of the
Inhabitants in 1745'.
p. 66b: A small stone water mill (20 ft. by 30 ft.) from Raindale, Newton, North Riding, was re-erected in 1965
beside the Foss, S.E. of the bailey wall. It is not shown
on the plans.
p. 115a: During 1971 a short length of the city wall which
proved unsafe was taken down and rebuilt; a 19th-century stone wall connecting its end to the boundary
between Nos. 8 and 9, St. Leonard's Place was also
p. 149b, §4: In 1972 the cattle pens were removed and the
rampart was restored where it had been cut back for