Topographical List of Houses Built Between 1800 and 1850

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Year published

1972

Supporting documents

Pages

123-130

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Topographical List of Houses Built Between 1800 and 1850', An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 3: South West (1972), pp. 123-130. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=125589 Date accessed: 16 April 2014. Add to my bookshelf


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

TOPOGRAPHICAL LIST OF HOUSES BUILT BETWEEN 1800 AND 1850

The following is a complete list of houses now, or recently, surviving built between 1800 and 1850. Buildings embodying older work are not included. A definite terminus is given by the 1/1056 OS map for which the survey was completed in 1851; this may be the only evidence for a pre-1850 date; but most of the houses can be dated more closely either stylistically or documentarily as noted. All houses have brick walls and Welsh slate roofs unless otherwise stated. Windows usually have flat arches and hung sashes, and external doorways have a timber surround in the form of moulded or panelled pilasters supporting a simple entablature. The gutters are often on paired wooden brackets. Staircases usually have moulded rails, cut strings and square balusters; the fireplaces have wooden or marble surrounds, and the grates are generally by Carron of Falkirk. Drawings mentioned as by Peter Atkinson II and J. B. and W. Atkinson are in the archives of Messrs. Brierley, Leckenby & Keighley (1967). Where a house is described as of 1½ bays, this means a room with a passage at the side of it.

STREETNUMBERDATEOTHER DETAILS
Acomb Park-c. 18505 bays x 2 storeys. Gentleman's residence.
Acomb Road11c. 18403 bays x 2 storeys. Symmetrical. Gutter on coupled brackets. Windows with flat arches of stone or cement. Good railings (Plate 80).
65–73 (odd)Called Severus Place in 1853. Newly erected houses YG 23/2/1828, 9/8/1828, 2/3/1829.
65c. 1828/93 bays x 3 storeys and basement. Symmetrical. Porch with freestanding pillars. Windows with flat arches of stone or cement (Plan, Fig. 19).
67c. 1828/92 bays x 2 storeys and basement. Gutter on brackets. Doorway with brackets under entablature. Windows with flat cement arches.
69, 71, 73c. 1828/9Terrace. Each house with 2 bays x 2 storeys and basement. Gutters with coupled brackets. Doorways with moulded jambs and lintels and round paterae at angles.
Albion Street8, 9, 101815/20Up by 1823 (Baines Directory (1823), II, 70–2). Cottage and tenements erected and street projected in 1815 (YCA, E. 96 ff. 243v, 249v); not laid out until 1816, when described as 'new made' (E. 97 f. 19v) but not named. Houses erected c. 1815 by John Taylor, cabinet maker, and H. Headley, flax merchant. Terrace. Each 1½ bays x 2 storeys. Doorways with reeded surrounds and rectangular fanlights. Windows with red brick flat arches (Plan, Fig. 19).
Askham Lane (Acomb)Westfield Housec. 18503 bays x 2 storeys, double width. Symmetrical. Projecting gabled centre. Hung-sash windows with plate glass.
Bishopgate StreetNot shown clearly on Robert Cooper's map (1832) but relatively early in style. Building land for sale YG 19/2/1842.
4c. 1830/51½ bays x 2 storeys; low. Gutter on simple brackets; doorway with recessed panels to jambs and round paterae on blocks at top, supporting moulded lintel; door with six fielded panels.
5c. 1830/52 bays x 2 storeys and basement. Gutter on coupled brackets. Doorway with reeded pilasters and raised panels on frieze. Door with six panels and raised mouldings. Windows with plain brick arches.
6c. 1830/53 bays x 2 storeys and basement. Symmetrical. Coupled gutter brackets. Porch with free-standing fluted columns supporting plain entablature; false two-leaf doors with marginal panes.
7c. 18301½ bays x 2 storeys and basement; low. Gutter on coupled brackets. Doorway with fluted pilasters, simple entablature and fanlight with marginal panes. Windows with red brick flat arches.
26, 2718501½ bays x 3 storeys. Only these two are on the 1852 OS map. Gutter on shaped brackets. Doorway with recessed panels on jambs and entablature with shaped brackets. Three-sided bay windows to ground floor.
Blossom Street5, 7, The Punch Bowl (Public House)c. 18353-storey building, nearly symmetrical; central carriageway separates two shops from Punch Bowl. Ground floor stuccoed and rusticated. Five windows above with plain brick arches.
16rebuilt 1822See (43) stage 3.
Blossom Street (continued)211814, 1820, 18461 bay x 3 storeys. June 1814 bought by the Bar Convent (Archives 7 B 3(6)). Richard and Henry Hansom rebuilt the front elevation for £174 in 1820 (7 B 4(1)). 1846 rebuilt by G. T. Andrews for £745. John Lakin, bricklayer; Noah Akeroyd, mason, provided an 'extra Bardilla chimney peice'; Wilson, joiner; John Henry Cattley roofed it; Richard Knowlson did plastering (7 B 13).
27c. 18403 bays x 3 storeys.
29c. 18201½ bays x 3 storeys.
31, 33c. 18502 bays x 3 storeys.
38c. 18202 bays x 2 storeys. Demolished 1965.
39 (Lion and Lamb)18283 bays x 3 storeys. Symmetrical. Assessment raised in 1828 from £6 5s. to £8.
431823/93 bays x 3 storeys and basement. Forms the end of South Parade.
Bridge StreetThe first shops in New Bridge Street (Briggate) appear in the 1816 Directory, but only four were open by 1818; the street as a whole was built up by 1822 (Baines).
1c. 1815/201 bay x 4 storeys to Bridge Street and 3 bays x 4 storeys to Queen's Staith. Cornice with square modillions. Windows with rubbed red brick flat arches, stair window with marginal panes. Probably by Peter Atkinson II.
218421 bay x 4 storeys and very lofty. Designs by J. B. and W. Atkinson, March 1842, for Mark Rooke; contractors: Thomas Jackson, bricklayer; Richard Knowlson, plasterer; and John Shaftoe, mason. Cornice on shaped brackets.
3, 4c. 18302 bays x 3 storeys. Gutters on coupled brackets. Windows with brick flat arches of common bricks.
5 (Public House)c. 1840/501 bay x 3 storeys. Stuccoed.
6c. 1815/202 bays x 3 storeys. Windows with red rubbed brick flat arches.
9c. 1815/201 bay x 3 storeys. Façade of fine red brick. Dentilled cornice on modillions of 18th-century type.
11, 12c. 1815/202 bays x 4 storeys to Bridge Street; 3 bays x 4 storeys to North Street. Gutters on coupled brackets. Windows with red rubbed brick flat arches. Demolished.
13, 14, 15, 16c. 1815/204 bays x 3 storeys and attics. Façade of fine red brick. Cornice on square modillions.
Cambridge Street2–34 (even)1846Terrace houses consisting of blocks with varying detail, all 1½ bays x 2 storeys, some with basements. Erected for railway employees and catering for different categories of workers. Probably by G. T. Andrews. Good railings. Demolished.
Cherry Hill (but see also Clementhorpe)c. 1830Only one entry for Cherry Hill in the 1830 Directory. Mentioned in White's Directory (1838) 11, 721.
Clementhorpe (called St. Clement's Place 1850)7–11c. 1845Three houses for sale already occupied YG 11/3/1848. 1½ bays x 2 storeys each. Coupled gutter brackets. Doorways with unusual volute motif.
12, 13, 14 and 1, Cherry Hill1823Mentioned in Baines Directory (1823) 11, 70. 1½ bays x 2 storeys. Doorways with reeded attached columns and panelled entablatures. Windows have flat cement arches (Plan, Fig. 19). See also Brunton Knight, 668.
Cygnet Street (formerly Union Street)11–15, 22–61846Terrace—each house 1½ bays x 2 storeys. Doorways with plain pilasters and entablatures. Windows with flat arches of plain brick (Plan, Fig. 19). Nos. 22–6 demolished.
Dale Street34–461823/8In Pigot's Directory of 1828. Erected between 1823 and 1830 (Brunton Knight, 668). Seven dwelling-houses for sale YG 2/9/1848. Terrace of one build. Each house 1½ bays x 2 storeys.
Dove Street39 houses1827/30Each 1½ bays x 2 storeys; third storey added to Nos. 15, 16, 18. To be built in 1827 (YH 13/10/1827); in 1829 Joseph Shouksmith, plumber and glazier, and his wife Hannah were erecting houses 'in the parish of Bishophill the Younger in the new road to Baggergate Lane' (YCA, E.98, f. 83). Mentioned in Hargrove's Guide to the City of York (1838). Fine variety of doorcases; window arches of plain brick or cement with key blocks (Plate 58). Largely demolished.
Eagle Street13 housesc. 1845Railway development. Each 1 bay x 2 storeys. Paired doorways. Window arches of plain brick. Demolished.
Front Street (Acomb)29c. 1840/503 bays x 2 storeys. Walls stuccoed. Roof pantiled. Gutter on widely spaced brackets. Doorway with consoles. Sliding-sash windows.
52c. 1850Pleasant symmetrical design, 3 bays x 2 storeys. Large bricks. Gable over projecting centre with doorway and round-headed window within round arched recess. Windows on either side, sliding-sash with flat arches of plain brick.
53c. 1840/50Probably built as two houses, 1½ bays+1½ bays x 2 storeys. Large bricks. Coupled gutter brackets. Doorway with plain pilasters and entablatures; oblong fanlight. Each house had three-sided bay windows to each floor in wood.
55c. 1850Sandwiched in between 53 and 57. 1½ bays x 2 storeys. Large brick. Roof pantiles.
56, 58c. 18501½ bays+1½ bays x 2 storeys. Large brick. Hipped roof. Doorways on outer sides. Hung-sash windows.
57, 59c. 1850Each 1½ bays x 2 storeys. Gutter on simple brackets. Plain doorways. Windows hung sash with slightly segmental arches of plain bricks.
77c. 1840/503 bays x 2 storeys. Hipped roof; pantiles. Three-sided bay windows on one side and small broad hung sash on the other. Two upper windows with slightly segmental arches of plain headers.
79c. 18502 bays x 2 storeys. Large bricks. Shop front and matching doorways all with large consoles. Two plate-glass hung-sash windows to first floor.
87c. 18503 bays x 2 storeys. Symmetrical. Stuccoed brick. Roof of pantiles. Gutter on coupled brackets. Doorway in centre with plain surround. Hung-sash windows, plate glass.
95c. 1840/503 bays+2 bays x 2 storeys. Pantiled roof. Simple gutter. Plain doorways. Sliding-sash windows.
105, 107c. 18503 bays x 2 storeys. Symmetrical design. Large buff bricks. Pantiled roof. Paired doorways at centre. Sliding-sash windows.
The Green (Acomb)3, 5c. 1800Two blocks: (a) 2 bays x 2 storeys. Pantile roof. Brick cornice. On either side a three-sided bay window to ground and first floors, each with plate-glass hung sashes. (b) Higher. 1½ bays x 2 storeys. Same bay windows.
16, 18c. 18301½+1½ bays x 2 storeys. Coupled gutter brackets. Paired doorways with moulded jambs and reeded panels on frieze. Plate-glass hung-sash windows.
25c. 18301½+2 bays x 2 storeys. Stuccoed walls. Pantiled roof. Hung-sash windows, with small panes.
29, 31, 33c. 1830Tall; each 1½ bays x 2 storeys and attics. Pantiled roofs. Openings nearly all modernised.
Sun Innc. 18503 bays x 2 storeys. Stucco on large bricks. Coupled gutter brackets. Openings modern. Hung-sash windows.
56c. 18301½ bays x 2 storeys. House and stable. Coupled gutter brackets. Good doorway with moulded jambs and lintel and moulded round paterae at angles; fanlight with marginal panes. Broad hung-sash windows with small panes.
58c. 1820/30Earlier than last which is built over its end wall. 2 bays x 2 storeys. Blocked doorway. Sliding-sash windows.
Green Lane (Acomb)9c. 18401 bay x 2 storeys; lofty.
11, 13c. 1810/201½ bays x 2 storeys each. Fireplaces with Adamesque details illogically arranged.
Holgate Road (formerly Holgate Lane)1823 building land for sale and building progressing. (YG 19/7/1823). In Baines Directory 1823. 1828 York Villas being erected (YG 9/8/1828). Building land for sale 1842 (YG 22/1/1842, 19/2/1842).
2, 4c. 1840/502 bays x 3 storeys. Large bricks; hung-sash windows with heavy flat arches and plate glass.
6, 8, 10, 12, 16c. 1840/502 and 3 bays x 2 storeys.
18, 20c. 1830Each house 1½ bays x 2 storeys. Good doorway to No. 20.
22 (Holgate Villa)c. 18403 bays x 2 storeys. White brick, three-sided bay windows. Iron balusters to staircase. Probably by G. T. Andrews. Demolished.
26c. 18401 bay to Holgate Road, 3 bays to Lowther Terrace x 2 storeys.
28–50 (even)c. 1845/501½ bays+2 bays x 2 storeys, brick and cement flat window arches. 36, 38 with modern shop-front. Some good doorcases. Some windows with marginal panes.
45 (St. Catherine's Hospital)1834/5Designed by G. T. Andrews in 1833 for Messrs. Simpson and completed 22 August 1835 (YCL City Archives K.82 and M.17A, M.17B). Demolished.
52c. 1845/501 bay x 2 storeys.
54, 56, 58, 60c. 1845/501½ bays x 3 storeys. Called Blenheim Place on stone band. Built in two blocks of two houses. Windows with marginal panes.
62c. 1845/503 bays x 3 lofty storeys; windows with red brick flat arches.
63, 65c. 1830On Robert Cooper's map, 1831/2. 4 bays x 3 storeys. Doorways with attached fluted columns. Bay windows polygonal on ground floor, segmental on first floor. Simple railings.
64c. 1845/502 bays x 3 storeys. Good cornice.
66 (The Crystal Palace)c. 1845/503 bays x 2 storeys. Symmetrical. Cement arches with key-blocks. Set back with yard in front and probably originally built as a Public House.
70, 70a, 721846/7Each 2 bays x 3 storeys. All of one build; 70a and 72 have paired doorways with Ionic columns on outer sides. One house 'nearly new... belongs to Mr. Shafto, a builder' 1850 (Letter YCL YL/Gray letters, No. 3).
71, 73c. 1830On Robert Cooper's map 1831/2.4 bays x 3 storeys; paired doorways; curved bay windows to ground floor. Narrow red rubbed brick flat arches to other windows.
74, 76c. 1845/504 bays x 3 storeys and basement. Flat stone arches to upper windows. Doorways and contemporary three-sided bays have modillioned entablatures.
75c. 1830On Robert Cooper's map, 1831/2.1½/2 bays x 2 storeys and basement. Good doorway.
77c. 1828/30On Robert Cooper's map, 1831/2.2 bays x 3 storeys. Good porch and curved bay to ground floor.
78, 80c. 1845/502 bays x 3 storeys. Generally similar to 74, 76. Stone window heads. 80 retains shutters.
82, 84, 86c. 1845/50As last, but with heavy cornice on shaped modillions. Each 2 bays x 3 storeys.
88, 90c. 1845/504 bays x 2 storeys and attics. Plain doorways and three-sided bay windows.
921850/13 bays x 2 storeys. Symmetrical. Vicarage to St. Paul's, designed by J. B. and W. Atkinson. Porch with engaged fluted columns and an entablature with triglyphs. Three-sided bay windows. Good railings.
96–118 (even) (Holgate Terrace)1846/51Brunton Knight, 668. Each 2 bays x 3 storeys. Good doorways. Three-sided bay windows. Noteworthy cast-iron railing standards.
120, 122c. 18404 bays x 3 storeys. Symmetrical pair. Doorways in recessed side wings.
124 (Holgate Hill Hotel, formerly The Poplars)c. 18503 bays x 2 storeys. Symmetrical. Italianate villa.
126c. 1835/40126, 130 on Bishophill Junior Tithe Map 1847 but not on Robert Cooper's map of 1831/2. 3 bays x 2 storeys. Symmetrical. Central doorway with plain pilasters and entablatures, and fanlight with marginal panes, and original lamp. Windows with flat brick arches and on ground floor marginal panes.
130c. 18353 bays x 2 storeys. Symmetrical. Hipped roof. Small porch with gable; outer doorway has radial fanlight and door with six fielded panels. Windows with cement flat arches.
171c. 1830Appears to be on Robert Cooper's map 1831/2. 1½ bays x 2 storeys.
Lowther Terrace1846Generally 1½ bays x 2 storeys. Included Providence Place and Denton Terrace, shown on the 1852 OS map. Demolished 1967.
Micklegate2818102 bays x 3 storeys. Built by Ambrose and Robert Gray, bricklayers.
39, 4118353 bays x 2 storeys. Symmetrical. Being built in 1835 (YG 23/5/1835) and designed by J. B. and W. Atkinson for Mr. Varvill. No. 39 was the office of J. B. and W. Atkinson between 1837 and 1851 (Plate 79).
40c. 1840/502 bays x 4 storeys. Windows with plain brick arches. Moulded cornice on shaped brackets.
50, 50a
63c. 18402 bays x 3 storeys. Windows with rubbed brick heads.
78, 80, 82, 841821/26 bays x 3 storeys. Three houses by Peter Atkinson II. Light buff brick, hung sash windows with red rubbed brick flat arches. Land to be cleared March 1821. Bones found November 1821. Building Lease granted 24 April 1822 (G. Benson, Notes on the Parish of St. Martin-cum-Gregory, 1; Gentleman's Magazine (1821), pt. 2, 557; YG 27/10/1821, 24/11/1821). (Plates 60, 65, 68; Plan, Fig. 19.)
94, 96 (The Falcon Inn)1842/34 bays x 4 storeys. Two houses first mentioned 1842/3 having replaced the Falcon, one of the important inns of York. Cornice on shaped brackets. Doorways with large consoles. Windows with plain brick flat arches. See (84) p. 88.
Mill Mount House (now Mill Mount School)1850Partly 2 storeys, partly 3 storeys and basement. Important house built by J. B. and W. Atkinson for Charles Heneage Elsey. Plan dated March 1850 and later. Parcel of land for sale for building 1844 (YG 24/2/1844). (Plan see p. xciv, Fig. 19.) Stock brick. Stuccoed entrance porch. Large windows with flat arches of plain brick (Plate 196).
The Mount69, 71, 73, 75c. 1830Large terrace, each 2 bays x 3 storeys, cellars and attics. First rated 1832/3 but 69 not rated until 1834 and perhaps the last to be built. Good porticos and windows with rubbed brick flat arches.
77, 79 (previously Park Place)1831/23 bays (front) + 5 bays (side) x 4 storeys. Designed by Peter Atkinson II for Alderman William Dunsley; signed detail of November 1831 in Brierley drawings. Mr. Bayliff of Kendal made chimney pieces for it in 1832, including one of Italian marble for drawing room, one in black Kendal marble for dining room (Gunnis, 42.) (Plates 59, 79.)
89 (St. Stephen's Children's Home)c. 1810/35Detached house of two storeys. Stucco rendering conceals a complicated building history.
92, 9418213 bays x 3 storeys, cellars and attics. Erected by Joseph Bullock, brickmaker (YCA E.97, f. 162). Two newly built houses for sale YG 22/9/1821. Symmetrical design. Buff-red brick. Cornice with square modillions. Paired doorways with fluted attached columns and entablature with triglyphs. Two curved bays, upper windows with rubbed brick flat arches (Plates 60, 65, 76, 79, 89; Plan, Fig. 19).
100, 102, 1041807/83 bays x 3 storeys, cellars and attics. Building in 1807 and leased by 1808 (Title Deeds). Roman vault found 17 August 1807 (Hargrove, ii, 506). For sale YC 19/8/1812. Brick but centre house stuccoed. Moulded and dentilled cornice. Doorways with fluted pilasters and tall slender foliated consoles. Good curved bays. Back kitchen added by 1813 (Plates 59, 65, 79; Plan, Fig. 19).
116, 118c. 18402 bays x 3 storeys each. On map of 1847 by Thomas Holliday (Plate 159; Plan, Fig. 19).
1171833/43 bays x partly 2 and partly 3 storeys. First rated 1835/6, and probably finished by 29 April 1834 when sold to Thomas Pickersgill. Gothic (Plan, Fig. 19).
11918333 bays x 2 storeys, basement and attics. First rated 1836/7 (Plate 58).
1201842/32 bays x 3 storeys. Mentioned as built in deeds of No. 122 (21 April 1843). On map of 1847 by Thomas Holliday.
1211833Grecian villa. 3 bays x 2 storeys and attics. 1833 painted on ridge beam. Not rated until 1834/5 (Plan, Fig. 19).
1221848/9Plot vacant on Tithe Map of 1847. Stone façade. Same style as 124, 128 The Mount (Plate 80).
1231833Villa. 3 bays x 2 storeys, cellar and attics.
12418432/3 bays x 3 storeys. Similar to 122, 128 The Mount.
1251833Villa. 3 bays x 2 storeys and attics. Similar to 123, 127 The Mount. First rated 1839/40.
126c. 18402 bays x 3 storeys, cellar and loft.
1271833Villa. 3 bays x 2 storeys and attics. First rated 1838/40. Like 123 The Mount. Conservatory (Plates 76, 89).
128c. 18402/3 bays x 3 storeys, basement and attics. Like 122, 124 The Mount. Stucco front.
1291839/40Originally 3 bays x 2 storeys, but very much altered.
130, 132c. 1830Two of an original group of three. Originally 6 bays x 3 storeys, attics and basements (Plates 60, 65, 80, 91).
1311833Villa. 3 bays x 2 storeys and basement. First rated 1833/4.
136–44 (even)1824Terrace. Lease for building 1824. Each house in general 1½ bays x 3 storeys, basement and attics (Plates 58, 64, 76, 79, 91; Plan, Fig. 19).
Mount Ephraim1846/51Railway housing like Cambridge Street.
3Newly built for sale YG 13/5/1848.
7–21 (odd)1½ bays x 2 storeys. Demolished 1963.
44, 461 bay x 3 storeys. Demolished 1963.
Mount ParadeMount Parade (Plate 59) to be built YG 19/7/1823. Houses for sale YG 15/3/1828. In 1828 Nos. 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7 occupied (Pigot's Directory).
1–71823/82 bays x 2 storeys.
8, 9, 101829/302 bays x 2 storeys. All separate but of the same shape. Variant porticos—that of No. 8 reused and of 18th-century type.
11c. 18302 bays x 2 storeys. Red brick façade.
16, 17, 18c. 18402 bays x 2 storeys. Two newly erected houses for sale YG 8/7/1848.
19c. 18302 bays x 2 storeys. Exceptional façade and good details (Plate 47).
20, Cumberland Houseafter 18343 bays x 2 storeys. Symmetrical. On plot of land advertised as suitable for building YG 4/1/1834 (Plan, Fig. 19).
Mount Terrace (off Holgate Road)1827/8New houses for sale YG 24/3/1827, 15/3/1828, 11/1/1834, 26/7/1834. Nos. 1 to 5 in Pigot's Directory 1828; No. 6 already built in 1827.
1, 3, 4, 5 61827/8 by 18272 bays x 2 storeys and basement.
Villa. 3 bays x 2 storeys and basement. Symmetrical. John Hargrove, printer, lived here in 1838 (Directory). (Plan, Fig. 19.)
Mount Vale (Newington Place)Roman material found in 1823 (Gentleman's Magazine, 1823, pt. 1, 633; YPS Report 1825; Hargrove, A Guide to the City of York (1838), 35).
1471827First rated 1828. 2 bays x 3 storeys and attics (Plate 59; Plan, Fig. 19).
149, 1511823First rated 1824. 2 bays x 3 storeys and attics.
159 (Herdsman's Cottage)c. 1840Cottage orné. Cruciform x 1 storey and attics. Steep roofs with elaborate barge-boards to gables.
206–12 (even)c. 1840Each 1½ or 2 bays x 3 storeys. Individual houses form a terrace. These four parcels of land were sold in 1837 by the Corporation (YCL, Council Minutes 1).
214c. 18402 bays x 2 storeys.
218c. 18203 bays x 2 storeys. Symmetrical. Two-storey bay windows flanking porch with reeded columns.
220c. 18403 bays x 2 storeys. Symmetrical.
222, 2241820/40Built as one unit, each 1½ bays x 2 storeys.
226, 228c. 1830/40Each 1½ bays x 2 storeys.
North StreetBehind 17 Bridge Street1838Warehouse for Messrs. Varvill by J. B. and W. Atkinson. Demolished.
Nunnery LaneTwelve houses by 1830 (York Directory). New-built house in Nunnery Lane at entrance to Dale Street YG 4/4/1829.
17a, 21c. 18303 bays x 2 storeys. Windows with cement arches and key-blocks.
23c. 18201 bay x 2 storeys, low. Gutter on coupled brackets.
51, 55, 57c. 1830Terrace. 1½ and 2 bays x 2 storeys. Gutters on coupled brackets. Windows with cement flat arches. Shown on Robert Cooper's map, 1831/2.
Oxford Street1–411846/50Houses for railway employees. Each 1½ bays x 2 storeys. Built in twelve groups. Demolished 1961/2.
Park StreetBuilding land for sale YG 6/3/1847. All up by 1850 when first rated.
718363 bays + 1 bay added x 3 storeys. Built in 1836 by Thomas Rayson, contractor, for himself. See lithograph. c. 1840, YCL, Evelyn Collection.
9, 11c. 1835/40Each 2 bays x 3 storeys and basement.
13, 15c. 1847/50Each 2 bays x 3 storeys and basement. Open passageway between doorways.
17c. 1847–503 bays x 3 storeys. Symmetrical. Moulded stone architraves to windows of lower storeys.
19c. 1847/50Villa. 3 bays x 3 storeys and basement. Ground floor window with narrow side lights. Bay window opposite. Stone sills joined as bands.
21c. 1847/50Villa. 3 bays x 2 storeys and basement. Symmetrical. Moulded stone architraves to windows. Sills joined to form band.
Queen's StaithVarvill's Warehouse (Ebor Electrical Co.)1849Designs by J. B. and W. Atkinson dated October 1849.
Queen Street11–161840/50Each 1½ bays x 2 storeys and basement. Doorways with plain surrounds. Windows with slightly segmental arches of ordinary brick.
17–20c. 1835First rated 1836. Each 1½ bays x 2 storeys. Gutters on coupled brackets. Doorways with big consoles. Windows as last.
Railway Street1846Being formed in 1846 but no houses in it on the OS map of 1852. (YCL, Council Minutes iii.)
Rosary Terrace1–101843/61½ bays x 2 storeys. Very plain railway housing. 7–10 with scullery annexes. Demolished.
Rosemary Terrace Skeldergate1823In Baines Directory (1823) 11, 70/2. Demolished before 1940.
Rougier Street1–161842/3Built in pairs, forming a long terrace. Each 1½ bays x 3 storeys. 1–14 demolished 1961.
St. Clement's Place (See Clementhorpe)
St. Paul's Square46c. 1835/40Two blocks, one 4 bays x 2 storeys, the other 1 bay x 3 storeys. Fine windows with marginal panes (Plate 91).
Skeldergate3118431 bay x 3 storeys. Designs by J. B. and W. Atkinson for 4 dwelling houses of which only two were built. Houses being built by Mr. Atkinson YG 10/6/1843. Three-sided bay windows.
53c. 1840/50White brick building, 2 bays x 3 storeys. Windows with flat arches of rubbed brick. Staircase with turned balusters.
South Parade3–201825/8A large important terrace, probably built by Thomas Rayson senior, bricklayer, who was himself living in No. 16 from 1828 to 1836 (YCA, E.98, f. 135v. and Rate Books). Being built by forty subscribers in 1825 (Illustrations to Drake, Hudson ms., YCL, f. 159 dorso). No. 4 for sale YG 31/10/1829. No. 13 available 6 months earlier, YG 11/4/1829 (Plate 157).
Swann Street1828/9Newly built house for sale YG 23/3/1828. Nine newly built houses for sale YG 31/10/1829. Demolished by 1967.
Tadcaster Road3001833Villa. 3 bays x 2 storeys, cellars and attics. Demolished 1960.
3021833Villa. 3 bays x 2 storeys, cellars and attics, with additions. Erected by Mr. Eshelby, builder, of Dringhouses. Roman tile tomb found in excavations (Hargrove, A Guide to the City of York (1838), 50). (Plates 68, 80, 91.)
3041833Villa. 3 bays x 2 storeys and basement.
3061833Villa, 3 bays x 2 storeys and basement. Very complete and of good quality. (Plates 58, 64, 79, 89; Plan, Fig. 19.)
Tadcaster Road Dringhouses34c. 1830Detached house. 3 bays x 2 storeys.
60c. 18503 bays x 2 storeys. Coupled brackets. Doorway with big consoles. Three-sided bay windows.
72, 74c. 1850/601½+1½ bays x 2 storeys. Openings modern.
76, 78c. 1850Each 1½ bays x 2 storeys. Pantiled roof. Simple doorway. No. 78 stuccoed and with mock timber framing.
80–88c. 1850Each cottage 1½ bays x 2 storeys. Low. Pantiled roof. All openings modern. Stucco on brick and mock timber framing. One-storey annexes at back.
159 (Ashfield)c. 18504 bays x 2 storeys (garden front). Gentleman's residence.
Tanner Row12, 14c. 1840Part of a terrace. Each 1½ bays x 3 storeys. Shown on Y & NM Railway plan 1840. Demolished 1960.
39 (The Grapes)c. 1845/502 bays x 4 storeys. Heavy moulded and dentilled cornice. Windows with plain brick flat arches.
43c. 1845/504 bays x 3 storeys and basement. Lofty. Light buff-red brick. Cornice on shaped brackets. Doorway with recessed panels, bold cornice on modillions and oblong fanlight. Entry with round-headed archway with stone surround. Windows with plain brick flat arches.
56c. 18504 bays x 3 storeys. Large brick. Gutter on brackets.
Toft GreenToft Green Chambersc. 18455 bays x 3 storeys. Symmetrically designed pair. Buff-red brick; cornice on shaped brackets; continuous stone sill to first floor. Doorways in end bays, with plain stone surrounds. Windows with rubbed brick flat arches, flanking central blind recesses.
Trinity Lane43, 45, 471846Terrace, each 1½ bays x 3 storeys. Designed for Michael Varvill by J. B. and W. Atkinson. Contractors, William Coulson, John Jackson and John Armstrong. Demolished.
Victor Street (formerly St. Mary's Row)1811Terrace. First two houses erected by Thomas Rayson, and other plots up for sale, in 1811 (YCA, E.96, f. 169). This was apparently the earliest development laid out as a terrace in York S.W. of the Ouse. Demolished 1960.
York Road, Acomb60c. 1840/50Italianate villa. 3 bays x 2 lofty storeys. Projecting centre with gable. Very bold oversailing eaves on coupled brackets. Stuccoed. Door with six fielded panels. Windows with marginal panes to hung sashes, and shutters. Called 'The Cottage' on 1853 OS map.

(E.A.G.)