Clarence Street (Monuments 58–65)
Clarence Street was constructed between 1830 and 1834
when Thomas Snowdon, tailor, is listed as living there
(Directories); there were houses being built in 1832 (YG
17/3/1832) and later in the 1840's when five newly-erected houses were offered for sale in YG 22/5/1841.
The even numbers on the E. side of the street were
built on some of the 20 building plots advertised as
forming the S. side of Clarence Street in YG 22/2/1845.
Unless otherwise described the houses in this street are of
(58) Houses, Nos. 3–11 (odd), were built c. 1840; Nos.
5, 7, 9 are of one build and Nos. 3 and 11 are separately
constructed. No. 3 has a carriageway to the rear on the
ground floor. Most of the decorative features were
added c. 1860. Demolished.
(59) Houses, Nos. 13–23 (odd), date from c. 1838.
Nos. 15–19 have bay windows to the ground floor; all
first-floor windows have segmental arches of common
Fig. 60. (57) Bootham Lodge, No. 56 Bootham.
Fig. 61. (60) No. 47 Clarence Street.
(60) No. 47, is a symmetrical double-fronted house
which was built during the 1840's. An extra bay with a
carriageway was later added to the S. The front doorway has a semicircular head and stucco architrave with
five raised voussoirs. The plan shows an ingenious
attempt at providing architectural interest in a confined
space (Fig. 61). The staircase is lit by a round-headed
window in the rear wall.
(61) Nos. 49–75, 79–85, 91–95 (odd), are small
terraced houses of c. 1840, generally uniform in character
but of different builds and with variations in detail and
size. Each house has a timber door-case with a rectangular
fanlight over the door. The doors are generally of six
moulded and fielded panels. Most houses have a
projecting bay window to the ground floor and a single
hung-sash window under a segmental arch to the upper
floor, but not all the bays are original. Nos. 91 and 95
are of three storeys. Nos. 49–73 demolished.
(62) Clarence House is a detached house of three
storeys and attics built to an irregular plan in c. 1830.
It was called Clarence Cottage in 1838, when it was
occupied by Mrs. Eleanor Wilson, and in 1843 and
1846, when it was occupied by Thomas Meynell Esq.,
Secretary to the Philosophical Society (Directories), and
in 1850 (OS).
The front elevation is of three bays, with continuous sillbands to the first and second-floor windows; the central
window on the second floor is a dummy. The central doorway
has side pilasters and a small hood supported on coarse console
brackets. The eaves project boldly. Demolished.
(63) Houses, Nos. 12–24 (even), were built c. 1840.
(64) Houses, Nos. 36–74 (even), were built during or
after 1845. They are similar to those on the W. side of
the street but more extensively altered. Nos. 48 and 50
are of three storeys.
(65) Houses, Nos. 84–86 (even) and No. 167 Lowther
Street, were built shortly before 1850.