HEWORTH (Monuments 148–198)
Fig. 69. (147) Garrow Hill House, Heslington Road.
Heworth is an area to the N.E. of the City, part of
which has always been in the City and part of which was
included by extensions of the City boundary in 1884
and later. The plan of a small mediaeval village street
with long tofts is traceable on the OS map of 1852 in
the road now called Heworth, but most of the area was
moor or common until the rapid expansion of the City
in this direction after c. 1825. At this date plans were
drawn up by Peter Atkinson II and R. H. Sharp for the
development of Heworth Grange Crown Estate on the
N.W. side of Heworth Green (PRO, MPE 1006). These
houses were never built but they are typical of the good
quality houses which were erected in Heworth Green
from this period onwards. In the streets behind Heworth
Green the standard is much lower, and in some instances
Monuments 148–198, unless otherwise described, are
of two storeys and were built in the first half of the 19th
(148) Glenfield is a detached double-fronted house
built c. 1840–50 on an L-shaped plan and later extended.
(149) The Glen Residential Nursery was built as
an isolated detached house in the last decade before 1850.
On the OS map of 1852 it is called Glen Heworth and
is shown surrounded by extensive grounds. Later in the
19th century it was enlarged to double its original size.
The house was designed in a picturesque Tudor style
featuring many gables with boldly projecting barge
boards, the principal ones shaped and pierced, and
chimneystacks of various designs; one of the stacks had
three separate octagonal shafts with moulded brick
bases and tops. Demolished.
Some of the houses are described as modern built in
YG 20/5/1848 but others date from earlier in the century.
The street is architecturally undistinguished and many of
the houses have been altered.
(150) Nos. 1–15 (odd), are small terraced houses of
uniform design but with breaks in the brickwork
between Nos. 7 and 9 and 9 and 11 indicating different
builds. They date from c. 1845. The doorways, where
unaltered, have simple pilastered doorcases with
(151) Nos. 49–55 (odd), 59, 65, 67, 71, 73, 137, 139,
141, 153, 155, 157, are terraced houses, all broadly
similar but with variations in detail. Nos. 49–55 form a
range of four; Nos. 65 and 67 are a pair. No. 141 is
double-fronted and a more ambitious house than the
others. The gutters are carried on single or paired
brackets but No. 139 has a moulded cornice and No. 141
a bracket cornice. Some of the houses have tiled roofs.
(152) Houses, Nos. 79–83 (odd), form a terrace
which was mentioned as occupied in the Directory of
1846 and called Eastern Pavilion on the 1852 OS map.
Nos. 81 and 83 have entrances with engaged shafts to
the jambs and bold entablatures with modillions, and
three-sided bay windows with similar entablatures.
(153) Danby Terrace, Nos. 117–133, was built
c. 1835. Nos. 123 and 125 are double-fronted.
(154) Nos. 1–10, form a terrace of ten double-fronted houses with a datestone of 1846. Nos. 2–9 are
of three bays with a central doorway; Nos. 1 and 10
have a carriageway with a low elliptical arch of shaped
bricks in place of the lower rooms on one side.
(155) House, No. 31, is a detached villa of three
storeys with semi-basement and attic, gabled to the N.E.
and S.W., which was built c. 1830.
There is a two-storey porch to the S.E. and a large semicircular bay, possibly added, with modillioned and dentilled
cornice at the S.W. end. The ground level varies between the
front and back of the house and the entrance hall is therefore
divided between two floors. The main part of the hall has a
plaster panel above each of the three doorways leading off it,
that over the door to the middle room with griffins and a central
urn very similar to that in No. 61 Bootham (48). The middle
room itself has a frieze with Classical figures on both of the
long walls. The staircase rises in the hall between the two front
rooms; it has very slender turned balusters, two to a tread, and
a mahogany handrail, and is lit by a tall window with marginal
panes of ruby and white glass, stretching up over two landings.
(156) Houses, Nos. 49–55. No. 49 is a double-fronted
house, the rear of which is attached to the terrace
formed by Nos. 51–55.
(157) The White House is double-fronted and has a
(158) House, No. 56, of two storeys, was built in the
second half of the 18th century on a simple rectangular
plan with front and back rooms each side of the entrance
(159) Sparrow Cottage, No. 58, a small double-fronted house, was built c. 1810–20. The central entrance
has reeded panels to the jambs and entablature. The
window heads have segmental arches. The roof is
(160) Houses, Nos. 60, 62, are a symmetrical pair.
The doorways have reeded pilasters and friezes; the
roofs are pantiled.
(161) Trentholme, No. 68, is a double-fronted house
and has a central entrance with reeded pilasters, and
semicircular fanlight. The tiled roof has two gables to
the W. end.
(162) House, No. 86, double-fronted and of three
bays, was built c. 1840. The door has six fielded panels
and a rectangular fanlight with marginal panes and the
windows hinged casements and plastered lintels
simulating flat arches of ashlar. The roof is pantiled.
(163) House, No. 97, of three storeys, has a lead
rainwater head with initials and date S.E. 1794, probably
for Samuel Ella, who acquired property in Heworth
after 1790 (N. Riding Registry of Deeds, C1 334 488,
C1 336 490). A later porch has been added to the symmetrical front. On plan, two front rooms flank the
central entrance hall, and there are smaller back rooms
each side of the staircase behind.
(164) Heworth Croft, No. 19, is a detached villa of
two storeys and attics (Plate 99) standing, with a coachhouse and other outbuildings, in its own grounds. It is
first mentioned in the Directory of 1843, under its
former name, Queen's Villa, when it was occupied by
the Reverend John Acaster, incumbent of St. Helen's,
Stonegate. There is a large house on this site on Robert
Cooper's map of 1832 but Heworth Croft appears to be
later than this in style. An advertisement in the Yorkshire Gazette of 5 August 1854, shortly after John
Acaster's death, states that he built the house for himself
and that he obtained a lease for 99 years from the Crown
in 1842. It is therefore likely on documentary as well as
stylistic grounds that the house was begun in 1842.
The house is built of white brick in an Italianate style and
roofed in slate. There are raised brick pilasters to the corners
of the elevations. The main garden front elevation, of three
bays, has a central pilastered porch with round-arched windows to the sides, a plain ashlar band at first-floor level and a
slight projection to the central bay of the first floor. In the
angle formed by the main rectangular block of the house and
a wing to the N.W. is a low tower which further emphasises
the Italianate style in which the house is built. The wing is
connected to an original coach-house building now converted
to other uses. The interior has a staircase with stone treads and
cast-iron balustrade, and the principal ceilings are decorated
with moulded plaster in various patterns.
(165) No. 26 is a detached house dating from c. 1835.
The symmetrical front elevation has a central entrance
with reeded half-columns and a fanlight with geometrical glazing bars (Plate 109). The windows have
slightly segmental cement arches with key blocks. The
roof is hipped.
(166) St. Maurice's House, No. 36, is a white brick
detached villa dating from c. 1849. The front elevation is
symmetrical and has neo-Norman details. The interior
is plain and much altered.
(167) No. 44 and No. 1 Mill Lane are two three-storey
houses (Plate 102), perhaps originally built as one house
with a service wing, of c. 1835–40. It is shown as one
building on the 1852 OS map. The main elevation of
No. 44 is of four bays with a continuous sill-band to the
first floor and a heavy moulded cornice. The entrance
has a shallow hood supported on brackets. The first-floor windows have flat pediments supported by similar
brackets; those to the ground and second floors and to
all floors of No. 1 Mill Lane have segmental cement
arches with key blocks and simulated voussoirs. No. 1
Mill Lane has a bold entrance with rounded arch with
key block and simple pilastered jambs.
(168) House, No. 46, (Plate 102) of three storeys,
was built c. 1840. It has a simple entrance with Tuscan
pilaster jambs. The windows have segmental arches of
cement with key blocks and simulated voussoirs; those
on the first floor have a continuous sill-band.
(169) Houses, Nos. 48, 50, (Plate 102) are a pair, of
three storeys with basements, built c. 1845–50. They
have heavy doorcases and angular bay windows to the
ground floor and a continuous sill-band to the first-floor
windows; the window openings have segmental arches.
(170) Houses, Nos. 52, 54, (Plate 102) both of three
storeys, were built c. 1845–50. No. 52 has an entrance
similar to that of No. 50 and a modillioned cornice.
No. 54 has a heavy door-case with bold brackets and an
angular bay window; the upper-floor windows have
(171) Heworth Moor House, No. 56, is a detached
house of three storeys built c. 1849. The front elevation
is symmetrical and has a heavy central porch with
pedimental top flanked by two-storey bay windows
with modillioned cornices; the other windows have
(172) Houses, Nos. 58, 60, are a three-storey pair of
c. 1840 with conjoined entrances with a continuous
entablature and Doric half-columns. The windows have
cement arches with fluted key blocks and simulated
(173) No. 62 is a detached house built in white brick
in the second quarter of the 19th century. The symmetrical front elevation has a central entrance with
heavy Tuscan door-case flanked by brick and timber
bay windows; these three features have a continuous
modillion cornice. The eaves cornice is of moulded
timber beneath a parapet with stone coping.
(174) Shoulder of Mutton Hotel, No. 64, of two
storeys with attics, was built as a substantial private
house c. 1840. It was called Heworth Green on the 1852
OS map. The symmetrical front elevation has a central
open Tuscan porch flanked by bay windows. The three
first-floor windows have moulded architraves and an
entablature and cornice supported on console brackets.
The tiled and hipped roof has a central dormer window.
(175) The Lodge, No. 66, a detached house of white
brick, dates from c. 1845. The symmetrical front elevation has a central doorway beneath a fanlight with
segmental arch, flanked by plain bay windows with
modillion cornices. The upper windows have cambered
arches and the eaves cornice is made up of two courses
of moulded corbels to carry cast-iron gutters.
(176) House, No. 72, of two storeys and attic in
brown brick with white dressings, was built c. 1849.
There is a bay window with enriched modillion cornice
to the ground floor. The first-floor windows are set
beneath semicircular arches with blind tympana springing from nook-shafts with foliated capitals. The gutter
is carried on decorated bearers.
(177) House, No. 74, called the Shoulder of Mutton
p.h. on the 1852 OS map and kept by John Poulter in
1843 (Directory), was built c. 1840. It is almost square
on plan and has a symmetrical front elevation in painted
stucco. The central entrance has a heavy hood supported on large consoles; it is flanked by angular bay
windows. The two first-floor windows have segmental
arches; two first-floor windows in the E. wall retain
their original glazing. There is a single-storey addition
at the E. end.
(178) Scarborough Parade, Nos. 76–94, was built
by 1830 when eight houses are entered as occupied in
the Directory. They are terraced houses of two and
three storeys of several builds and with variations in
detail. The entrances have reeded half-columns or
pilasters and rectangular fanlights with geometrical
(179) House, No. 96, was originally all of brick but
was refaced in stone at the end of the 19th century.
(180) Houses, Nos. 98, 100, built c. 1840, form a
pair, of three storeys with semi-basements. The
entrances have fluted attached columns and doors of six
panels beneath rectangular fanlights with geometrical
glazing bars. The windows of the three main floors have
segmental arches of cement with key blocks and
(181) Houses, Nos. 104, 106, built between 1817 and
1832, formed a symmetrical building marked on the
OS map of 1852 as Cupola House. No. 104 has been
enlarged by the addition of a W. wing; No. 106 has
been heightened; both have been completely refronted,
but the Greek Doric columns and entablature framing
the entrance to No. 104 are probably original, reset.
Each house was originally entered from the side, the front
door leading to an entrance hall, containing a staircase, behind
the front room. Two further rooms lay behind the hall.
(182) Wynstay, No. 108, a small villa in cementrendered brick with a symmetrical front elevation of
three bays, was built in the second quarter of the 19th
century. It was called Arlington Cottage on the 1852
OS map. The central entrance is framed by panelled
pilasters and an entablature with a pediment; there are
bay windows on either side. The roof is hipped.
(183) Heworth Villa, No. 110, a detached three-bay villa in white brick with rusticated quoins, was built
in the second quarter of the 19th century. It was called
Heworth Green Cottage on the 1852 OS map. It is
attached to an older 19th-century house which remains
at the rear.
The symmetrical main front has a central entrance with a
hood with a modillion cornice supported on large brackets
resting on stone corbels, flanked by bay windows with similar
cornices. The first-floor windows have segmental arches. The
roof is hipped. The staircase has turned balusters, two to a
tread, a mahogany handrail and shaped cheekpieces. It rises
between the two ground-floor front rooms to a large landing
lit by a window with a two-centred arched head and arched
glazing bars in a Gothic pattern.
(184) The Limes, No. 112, a detached three-bay
villa-type house in white brick with a stone plinth, was
called Terrace Cottage on the 1852 OS map. The
central entrance has fluted attached Roman Doric
columns and a canted bay window to one side. Inside,
the rooms have reeded cornices and the doors have four
sunk panels. The staircase has plain balusters of square
section, two to a tread, a slender mahogany handrail
and elaborately-shaped cheekpieces.
(185) Houses, Nos. 28–36 (even), form a range of
five small dwellings with plain entrances built c. 1845.
(186) No. 38 is a small stucco-rendered house with a
hipped roof. The main elevation of four bays is articulated by giant pilasters.
(187) Nos. 42–52 (even) are a range of small single-fronted houses with pantiled roofs. No. 50 was called
Letter Receiving Office on the 1852 OS map.
(188) The Nag's Head, p.h., was built in the second
quarter of the 19th century. It had the same name in
1850 (OS) and in 1843 when it was occupied by Charles
Vaux (Directory). It is a double-fronted house of three
bays. The details have been modernised.
(189) Houses, Nos. 58, 60, built c. 1820, have
entrances with reeded half-columns to the jambs. The
upper windows have segmental arches.
(190) Houses, No. 62, has a doorway with a reeded
frieze over a rectangular fanlight flanked by deep
brackets. There is a segmental bow window with hung
sashes to the ground floor. The roof is pantiled.
(191) Houses, Nos. 77, 81, 80, 82 have been considerably altered. No. 81 has been widened to be double-fronted but retains the original door-case to the entrance,
with attached reeded columns. Nos. 80 and 82 form a
symmetrical pair, with similar doorcases.
(192) No. 83 is a detached double-fronted house
originally of three bays. It has a modern pantiled roof.
(193) Houses, Nos. 4, 6, form part of a small terrace,
dating from 1840–50. The openings have been
modernised. No. 4 demolished.
(194) Houses, Nos. 13–15, form a small terrace
similar to that in John Street but retain their simple
pilastered doorcases and cambered arches to the
(195) The Manor House, No. 1, was formerly
called the New Manor House (OS). It was built before
1830 when William Hornby Esq. occupied it and it
appears, with its name, on Robert Cooper's map of
The house is partly of two, partly of three, storeys, above a
high semi-basement and is of unusual, nearly cubical, shape. A
bay window was added later in the 19th century.
(196) The Cottage, No. 11, dates from c. 1800 and
appears to be on Robert Cooper's map of 1832. It was
called Belle Vue Cottage in 1834, when it was occupied
by Mr. John Scott, in 1846, when it was occupied by
Henry Janson, gent., and in 1850 (Directories; OS).
It is a double-fronted cottage with rendered walls and a
hipped roof and was extended c. 1840. It has an enriched door-case of mid 18th-century date, brought from elsewhere.
(197) Rose Villa, No. 34, was called Heworth Villa
in 1850 (OS). It was built in the early 19th century and
may be the house which appears on the site on Robert
Cooper's map of 1832. It is a double-fronted house with
(198) Houses, Nos. 2, 4, 12, 14, 20, 22, 26, 34, 36.
and 1, 7, 9, 23 are simple small terraced houses of
different builds and with variations in detail. They all
date from c. 1849. No. 9 is double-fronted.