Hull Road (Monuments 199–200)
(199) No. 147 is a small early 19th-century cottage
with a pantiled roof.
(200) Mill Field House, N.G. 62615136, of two
storeys and a basement, has walls of white brick and a
low-pitched slated roof with wide projecting eaves. It
was built c. 1830 as a substantial four-square villa. It was
occupied by Richard Faircloth Esq., Receiver of Taxes
for the County, during the 1840s (Directories).
On the W. the ground floor has been extended and the E.
side is masked by later building. To the S. is an open entrance
porch with four Tuscan columns; the windows have stone
lintels cut to simulate arches with enriched key-stones. The
original staircase has been removed but many of the doors and
fireplaces retain their original surrounds.
Huntington Road (Monuments 201–202)
(201) Park Place, Nos. 9–13, a terrace of two storeys
and basements with variations in details, was built in the
second quarter of the 19th century. Nos. 12 and 13 are
double-fronted. The original front windows have
cambered cement arches with key blocks. No. 9
(202) Grove Terrace, Nos. 27–49 (odd), a row of
twelve two-storey houses, four of which are double-fronted, has a datestone of 1824. The front elevation of
white brick was designed as one symmetrical architectural composition with centre and end features projecting forward. The entrances have fluted shafts supporting
entablatures with geometrical patterns to the friezes,
rectangular fanlights with marginal panes, and doors of
Jewbury (Monuments 203–205)
The name Jewbury is derived from an ancient cemetery
of the Jews first mentioned in 1230 (Raine, 281; YAJ,
iii (1875), 186).
(203) House, No. 13, built in the early 19th century,
is of three very low storeys and very small dimensions.
It has a horizontally-sliding sash window to the second
floor and a pantiled roof.
(204) House, No. 14, built in the early 19th century,
has a shallow bow window to the first floor and a
modern pantiled roof. It is of two storeys.
(205) Rockingham House, No. 25, was erected by
James Lamb in 1792 (YML, Subchanters Bk. iv, 77,
No. 102, 268); it now forms part of a training school
for nurses for the County Hospital. The house (Plate 94)
is of three storeys and basement and has a symmetrical
front with stone bands and two-storey bay windows on
each side of the entrance, which has engaged Doric
columns, reeded frieze blocks, and open pediment
(Plate 107). The bay windows were reconstructed 1971.
The central entrance hall has arcaded walls; to the N.W. is
a through room with bow windows to front and back; to the
S.E. a smaller room with a staircase behind completes the plan
of the original house, except for a small closet projection at the
back. The staircase has stone steps and simple, hollow-sided,
iron balusters. On the first floor in the N.W. room the plain
arcading of the entrance hall is repeated in the two long walls.
Doors throughout the house have six panels, fielded on one
side and decorated with planted or attached mouldings on the
Lawrence Street (Monuments 206–220)
Lawrence Street takes its name from the adjacent
church of St. Lawrence and forms the beginning of the
Hull road, the main road out of York to the S.E. from
Walmgate Bar. The surrounding area is now largely
industrial. Unless otherwise described Monuments
206–220 are of two storeys.
(206) Houses, Nos. 4, 6, are a pair of small dwellings
built c. 1800. Demolished.
(207) The Queen, p.h., No. 12, is a three-storey
building with a stucco façade of c. 1840. It was called the
Queen Victoria on the 1852 OS map.
(208) Houses, Nos. 14–18 (even), of three storeys,
were built in the early 19th century.
Fig. 70. (215) St. Lawrence Working Men's Club,
Nos. 29, 31 Lawrence Street.
(209) Former Flax Mill, No. 30, now a warehouse
in a large industrial complex, was built in several stages
in the first half of the 19th century. The earliest part may
be that advertised for sale as a 'newly erected fire-proof
flax mill ... without Walmgate Bar', with engine and
boiler houses and a reservoir, in YCh 20/11/1817. The
main interest of the building lies in the extensive
evidence of fire-proofing techniques which survives,
despite drastic alterations.
The earliest part of the mill was of three storeys; a four-storey range was added to the S.W. later in the century. The
windows have segmental heads of common bricks and the sills
are of stone externally but of shaped bricks internally. The
floors are solid and the staircases and landings of sandstone
slabs. At the S.W. end cast-iron columns support a series of
transverse iron joists between which shallow brick vaults carry
the floor above. The original N.E. end is said to be of similar
construction but the vaults are concealed by a later ceiling.
(210) Houses, Nos. 102, 104, are of the early 19th
century. No. 102 has a symmetrical front to the street;
No. 104 is an addition to S. Across the front are original
(211) Rose and Crown, p.h., was built probably as
two houses in the early 18th century but has been completely modernised. Early 19th-century outbuildings at
the back include a small cottage in which a reset pane
of glass bears the former name of the house, The
(212) House, No. 17, has on a rainwater head the
initials and date W.W. 1773, presumably the date of
construction. The house is of two storeys and built on a
normal square plan with front and back rooms each side
of the entrance hall. To the E. is a slightly lower
building of c. 1800 which, together with the E. side of
the original house, now forms The Waggon and Horses
public house. The original house has a timber door-case
with fluted pilasters and open pediment.
(213) House, Nos. 21, 23, is of two storeys and was
built in the late 18th century. It has been much altered
and the lower storey converted to two shops.
(214) House, Nos. 25, 27, is of two storeys and was
built in the late 18th century. It has been much altered
and partly rebuilt. On the S. front the original central
entrance remains with fluted timber pilasters, entablature and open pediment. A shop-front and bay window
on the ground floor and three windows above all
represent later alterations.
(215) St. Lawrence Working Men's Club, Nos. 29,
31, was built in the late 18th century, as a simple
rectangular dwelling house of three storeys. In 1822 it
was bought by Samuel Tuke, who died in 1853; during
his ownership wings were added to each side but the
W. wing was not complete at the beginning of 1849.
The building has been extended at the back and
drastically altered internally (Fig. 70).
(216) Houses, Nos. 45–59 (odd), form a terrace of
three storeys and semi-basements dating from c. 1835.
Nos. 51, 55, 57 and 59 have Doric doorcases with
attached fluted columns. The window heads have
segmental arches of cement with key blocks and
(217) House, No. 61, built in the early 19th century,
is of three storeys and has first-floor balconies with
scrolled cast-iron balustrades. The windows have rubbed
(218) Houses, Nos. 83–91 (odd), were built c. 1830.
Nos. 85 and 87 are a mirrored pair with shallow bow
windows to the ground floor (Plate 105). The first-floor
windows have cambered stuccoed arches with simulated
voussoirs and key blocks.
(219) House, No. 93, was built c. 1830. Although
more elaborate and roofed separately, it is very close in
style to the terrace (218) which adjoins it on the W. and
was probably part of the same development.
The front elevation (Plate 105) has a doorway with reeded
attached three-quarter columns, flanked by shallow segmental
bow windows with a simple raised geometrical pattern on the
friezes. The three first-floor windows have a continuous sill
band, which extends across the whole of the front elevation,
and flat arches of stucco with simulated voussoirs and fluted
key blocks. The roof is fully hipped to E. and W.
Only two occupants were listed in the street in the
Directory of 1830.
(220) Nos. 2–6 (even) are a pair of houses dating
from c. 1830 with a third house of c. 1840–50 at the S.
end. The entrances to Nos. 2 and 4 have reeded half-columns to the jambs and friezes with raised geometrical
Layerthorpe (Monuments 221–224)
Monuments 221–224 are all of two storeys.
(221) Nos. 9, 15, 29–31, 37, 39, 57–75, 83A, 85 and
114, are all small terraced houses of the first half of the
19th century, some in pairs or groups of three. No. 37
has a shallow segmental bay window to the first floor.
Bilton Street and Redeness Street
Fig. 71. (222) Nos. 35–40 Bilton Street and 43–49 Redeness Street.
(222) Streets of terraced houses constructed mainly
between 1828 and 1833 on a site laid out after 1821 by
Oswald Allen, Surgeon (Deeds). Bilton Street had
thirteen occupants and Redeness Street fifteen in the
1830 Directory. Houses already occupied were for sale
in Bilton Street in YG 11/10/1834. The houses, mostly
of two storeys but some with attics, show a wide
variety of plans and fittings (Fig. 71, p. 82). The roofs
are tiled. Demolished.
(223) Terrace of four houses which appear on Robert
Cooper's map of 1832 (surveyed in 1831) but not in the
1830 Directory. They have simple pilastered entrances
with rectangular fanlights with geometrical glazing
(224) Houses, Nos. 21–31 (odd), were built between
1823 and 1830 (Directories). They have pantiled roofs.
Lord Mayor's Walk (Monuments 225–237)
Lord Mayor's Walk, from Monkgate to Gillygate
outside the City Wall, was formerly Goose Lane. In
1718 a broad walk was planted with elm trees. By 1818,
however, some of the trees had been cut down and the
street had 'lately become the site of several neat brick
dwelling houses' (Drake, 254; Raine, 280; Hargrove, ii,
560). Houses 'recently erected' were for sale in 1837
(YG 10/2/1837) and in 1849 (YG 3/11/1849) probably
erected on the ground offered for sale in YG 26/6/1847.
See also RCHM, Monuments Threatened or Destroyed
Monuments 225–237 are of two storeys and date from
the first half of the 19th century, unless otherwise
(225) House, No. 18, was built c. 1840. The first-floor
window has a stone lintel simulating an arch.
(226) House, No. 24, has a pantiled roof.
(227) Houses, Nos. 26–34 (even), are all of three
storeys. No. 26 has an entrance with attached reeded
shafts and a semicircular fanlight. There is a shallow
bow window with reeded surround to the first floor; the
upper windows have slightly segmental arches. The roof
is pantiled, as is that of No. 28. No. 32 has a continuous
sill-band to the first-floor windows and a platt-band at
second-floor level. No. 34 has a main doorway and a
smaller doorway on the ground floor, and a moulded
and dentilled timber cornice.
(228) Houses, Nos. 36–42 (even), form a three-storey
terrace. Nos. 36–40 retain their original entrances with
fluted pilasters and doors of six fielded panels under
(229) No. 50, dating from c. 1840, is a detached
house of three storeys and semi-basements with a
plastered E. wall suggesting that it was once one of a
pair or the end of a terrace. There is a doorway with a
pediment and a segmental fanlight, and a bay window
to the ground floor. The windows of the upper floors
have slightly segmental arches.
(230) Houses, Nos. 54–58 (even), are of three
storeys with semi-basements, dating from c. 1845–50.
The entrance porches have Ionic pilaster jambs; those
to Nos. 56 and 58 are conjoined.
(231) Houses, Nos. 17, 19, are a pair with pantiled
(232) Old Farm, house, No. 27, was erected by
George Darbyshire, coal dealer, between 1785 and
1794 on land which had been part of the garden of
another house. The house was built on a rectangular
plan with two front rooms but no passage between
them, and two small rooms behind with the staircase
between them, producing an unusually small version of
the square four-room plan. The house retained most of
its original simple fittings; they included doors with four
fielded panels, fireplaces with iron hobgrates and simple
pilastered timber surrounds, and a staircase with close
string, square newels and slender square balusters.
Demolished in 1958.
Fig. 72. (232) Old Farm, No. 27 Lord Mayor's Walk.
(233) House, No. 41, together with Nos. 43, 45, 49
and 51 (234–237), all built by 1808, was part of the
development of the garden of No. 90 Gillygate by
Mary Sickling. Nos. 41, 43 and 45 were sold shortly
after her marriage to Edward Cowper which took place
in 1811 or 1812, but Nos. 49 and 51 and the piece of
ground between them and No. 45 were not sold until
1828 after she and her husband had both died. No. 41
was sold in 1812 to Joseph Terry, linendraper, and
inherited c. 1830 by his son Thomas who had already
bought the site of No. 47 in 1829 (Deeds). It was of
three storeys and had a symmetrical front elevation.
The central doorway was similar to that of No. 47 of
c. 1830; the windows had segmental heads. Demolished.
(234) Houses, Nos. 43, 45, were a part of the same
development as No. 41. No. 43 was sold in 1812 to
Christopher Newstead, gent., and No. 45 in 1813 to
William Lockey, cheesemonger (Deeds). They were a
three-storey pair with variations in plan and detail. No.
45 had a pantiled roof. Demolished.
(235) House, No. 47, of two storeys with attics and
cellar, was built c. 1830. The site, together with Nos. 49
and 51, was sold in 1828 to Thomas Townend, yeoman,
who in 1829 sold them to Thomas Terry, son of the
owner of No. 41. In December 1831 Terry sold the
properties, which by this time included the newly
erected No. 47 already occupied by Ann Campbell,
widow, to Miss Mary Brown of Clifton (Deeds). The
entrance doorway was similar to that of No. 41 and
to the W. of this doorway was a round-headed opening
leading to the yard behind No. 51 and giving access to
No. 49. Demolished.
Fig. 73. (235) No. 47 Lord Mayor's Walk.
(236) House, No. 49, was, like Nos. 41, 43 and 45,
referred to as 'lately erected' in a mortgage deed of 1808.
It was one dwelling up to and including 1828 but when
sold with No. 51 and the site of No. 47 in 1829 it was
described as a 'dwelling house ... now divided into two
tenements' (Deeds). It had plain doorways, probably
of 1828–9, and a pantiled roof. Demolished.
(237) House, No. 51, was part of the same development as Nos. 41, 43, 45 and 49, but was probably
slightly earlier for it was referred to as 'sometime since
erected' in the mortgage deed of 1808 (Deeds). It had a
symmetrical front elevation with a central doorway
flanked by windows with shallow segmental heads, and
a pantiled roof. Demolished.
Lowther Street (Monuments 238, 239)
Lowther Street was built between 1830 and 1838
(Directories) and later. Building lots were for sale in
YG 23/3/1844; five houses in Lowther Street and Eldon
Street were in the course of erection and for sale in
YG 17/1/1846. See also Eldon Street. Monuments 238
and 239 are of two storeys.
(238) Houses, Nos. 66–78 (even), are a terrace dating
from c. 1835. Nos. 66 and 68 are slightly larger than the
others and have a more elaborate finish.
(239) Houses, Nos. 151–161 (odd), are a range of six
small dwellings built c. 1849. The bay windows have
carved decoration to the surrounds and the roofs are
(240) The Herdsman's Cottage, built c. 1820, is a
single-storey rectangular dwelling with a central porch
on the S. side roofed in one with the main building.
Both the casement windows and the entrances are set
beneath round-headed arches.