(W. of the Malton Road)
(289) Cottage (61535345), adjoining Muncaster
House which was built after 1850, appears on the OS
map of 1852 and is probably of 18th-century date but
it has been very much altered. It is of two storeys with
rendered walls, and on plan originally comprised three
rooms in line.
New Walk Terrace
(290) Houses, Nos. 12a–18, form a terrace of eight
superior dwellings with fairly spacious rooms, built
c. 1825. Two houses, occupied but newly-erected, were
advertised for sale in YG 12/11/1831.
The houses are of three storeys with semi-basements and are
set behind long front gardens with smaller yards behind, with
coach-houses reached by an accommodation road at the back.
No. 12a now comprises two houses from which the top storey
has been removed and which have been much altered. No. 18,
the end house nearest the river, has its entrance in a symmetrically designed side elevation. The entrance doorways
mostly have fluted side pilasters with palmette leaf capitals and
rectangular fanlights with geometrical glazing patterns (Plate
109); that to No. 17 has fluted Roman Doric attached columns
(Plate 109). The basements and ground floors have shallow
segmental bow windows, those to the ground floors with
recessed brick panels beneath. The windows of the upper
floors have flat arches of gauged brick. (Fig. 80, p. 92.)
Penley's Grove Street (Monuments 291–301)
The name of the street is derived from the Paynelathes
Crofts of the Middle Ages (Drake, 598), enclosures on
part of a larger area of land belonging to St. Mary's
Abbey (Raine, 280; EPNS, xiv, 296). Houses in this
street were first mentioned in Baines' Directory of 1823.
Unless otherwise described monuments 291–301 are of
(291) House, No. 1, dating from the 1840s, is of
three storeys and attic. The windows have segmental
arches of stucco with simulated voussoirs and decorated
(292) Houses, Nos. 3, 5, 7, are a terrace of three
storeys with basements, built c. 1840. The entrances of
Nos. 3 and 5 are linked to form one composition with
three fluted pilasters; that to No. 7 is similar. The
window openings have segmental arches.
Fig. 80. (290) Nos. 17, 18 New Walk Terrace. Based on
a photogrammetric survey by R. W. A. Dallas.
(293) No. 15 is a detached double-fronted house of
c. 1845, L-shaped on plan, with low gables to each end
elevation. The windows have stone lintels.
(294) No. 17, a detached double-fronted house, was
designed in 1846 by J. B. and W. Atkinson (Brierley,
Leckenby and Keighley). (Fig. 81, p. 93).
The central doorway has a pilastered surround and the windows stone lintels. It has a square plan with a small wing at the
rear. The dining room and drawing room were on the ground
floor at the front; at the back was a kitchen, with direct access
by a secondary staircase to the servant's bedroom above it
(stair now removed), also a water-closet, and a store-room.
The main staircase remains and has very slender balusters
(Plate 127). There were two principal bedrooms flanking a small
'plant room'; behind them were the servant's room and a
'lumber room'. Neither the store-room on the ground floor nor
the lumber room above were designed to have any windows.
(295) House, No. 19, of three storeys, was built after
(296) House, No. 21, of two storeys and attic, was
built c. 1849. The entrance and bay window have a
mixture of Gothic and Classical details. There is a
passage to the rear. There is a brick corbel table at the
(297) House, No. 29, (Plate 103; Fig. 81, p. 93) was
designed by J. B. and W. Atkinson for Miss Hazelwood
in 1843 (Brierley, Leckenby and Keighley).
The doorway has a round-arched stone architrave and the
windows hinged casements with marginal panes and stone
lintels. On the first floor are balconies with anthemion pattern
cast-iron railings. The plan shows a dining room and a 'small
room' on the ground floor, and a very long wing at the rear
containing kitchen, scullery, privy with outside entry, etc. On
the first floor were two bedrooms with a servant's bedroom
and lumber room in the back wing; this wing had a long lead-covered roof slope to the rear, and a staircase with turned
balusters. The original cost was estimated at £500.
(298) House, No. 31, (Plate 103; Fig. 81, p. 93) which
is similar to No. 29 but with differences in internal planning and details, was designed in 1847 by J. B. and W.
Atkinson, also for Miss Hazelwood.
The front doorway leads to a through-passage, with access
to the house itself by a door from the passage, directly opposite
the staircase. The parlour and kitchen were on the ground
floor, with scullery, pantry, privy, etc. in the back wing. There
were four bedrooms on the first floor, and also attics above.
At the bottom of the garden was a Tub House. The cost was
(299) House, No. 33, was built c. 1847. The front has
a continuous sill-band to the first-floor windows
(300) Houses, Nos. 35 and 37, were designed by J. B.
and W. Atkinson for Mr. Benjamin Hopper in 1845 and
1847; although built separately they form a uniform
mirror pair (Brierley, Leckenby and Keighley Fig. 81,
No. 35 retains its original pilastered door-case. The plan of
No. 35 shows the parlour and kitchen on the ground floor,
and also a scullery, privy, etc. in the rear wing. There were only
two bedrooms on the first floor, though the frontage is only a
little narrower than that of No. 31 (298). On plan No. 37 is
similar to No. 35 (but reversed), though there are three bedrooms on the first floor. The cost was £220 each.
(301) Houses, Nos. 39–43 (odd), date from the
second quarter of the 19th century. No. 39 has windows
with cambered arches. No. 43, although ranging with
the other two, was built separately. It has a carriageway
with a segmental brick arch.
(302) Tang Hall Hotel, formerly Tang Hall, is a
two-storey house of several dates between 1800 and
1850 and is built on the site of an earlier house, of which
some stone walling remains in the cellars. It is a large
detached house built to an irregular plan and with
widely overhanging eaves; it has been much altered.
(303) Houses, Nos. 44–52 (even), were built c. 1840,
forming a terrace of small single-fronted dwellings.
Some have been converted to shops.
(304) Houses, Nos. 1–5 (odd), 13–91 (odd), 2–70
(even), of two storeys, were built in the second quarter
of the 19th century. Two occupied but newly erected
houses were for sale there in YG 30/10/1847.
The houses are generally uniform in design, but some have
basements and there are variations in the treatment of the
eaves cornices. The simple doorcases have pilaster jambs and
rectangular fanlights. Nos. 1–5 and 13–91 have small front
gardens enclosed by dwarf brick walls and iron railings; some
have gates hung to moulded circular standards, others to flat
scrolled and foliated standards, all in cast iron (Fig. 82). Inside,
the staircase usually occupies the back part of the entrance
passage. Nos. 1–68 and 70 demolished.
(305) House, Nos. 68, 70 Clifton, comprises a late
18th-century house of three storeys, now divided into
two tenements. It was extensively damaged in the
Second World War and has been largely rebuilt. A
ground floor room in No. 68 contains a late 18th-century
fireplace surround reset from No. 56 Skeldergate (York
111 (117), plate 73).
(306) Bound Stones, in Clifton, of brown limestone
with round heads (18th or 19th-century), inscribed ST.
OL. P. (for St. Olave's Parish), two: (a) reset in a brick
pier ajoining Green Tree Cottage (94); (b) built into the
E. wall of No. 16 Clifton Green (89).
Fig. 82. From (304) Union Terrace.