Fig. 149. (493) No. 49 Stonegate.
Swinegate (Monuments 494–497)
Swinegate runs parallel to Petergate from Grape Lane to
Church Street, but the name, first recorded in 1276 as
'Swyngaill', 'the lane where swine were kept', originally
applied to the present streets of Little Stonegate and
Back Swinegate. Since c. 1541 it has been transferred to
the length of Patrick Pool N.W. of Church Street.
The only noteworthy building is the Elim Tabernacle,
built in 1910 for the Central Mission.
(494) House, Nos. 28, 30, of two storeys and attics, was
built in the early 19th century and by 1837 was the Lord
Nelson p.h. (YG, 25 Feb. 1837). It was a small building with a
five-bay front and had one room on each side of the central
entrance and stair hall. Demolished 1972.
(495) House, No. 31, of two storeys, was built in the early
19th century. It has been much altered.
(496) House, No. 33, of three storeys in brick, was
built in the second quarter of the 18th century, incorporating an early 17th-century timber-framed doubleranged building of at least two bays. It was modified in
the second quarter of the 19th century, when the front
doorway and window surrounds were renewed, and
again in modern times, when the ground floor was
converted to a garage.
The double-gabled front elevation is rendered, with simulated stone joints and with a moulded string-course at second-floor level. The 18th-century ground plan had an entrance hall,
a staircase to one side, and two rooms with fireplaces back to
back, but the whole chimney-stack has been removed. Fragments of timber framing are visible in the front rooms on the
second floor. With the exception of the upper part of the
staircase, nearly all original fittings have been removed. The
staircase, which rises about a rectangular well with quarter
landings, has turned balusters, an open string up to the first
floor and a close string above.
(497) No. 39 is a modern building containing fragments of
timber framing on the side wall facing Three Cranes Lane,
representing the first floor of a building of 15th or 16th-century date. Partly dismantled in 1973.
Tower Place (Monuments 498, 499)
Tower Place is a cul-de-sac leading off the S.W. side of
Tower Street within and parallel to the city wall. It
serves a row of houses begun c. 1828 as Friars Terrace
(498), and was named by 1852.
(498) House, No. 1, and Friars Terrace, Nos. 2–8, of two
storeys, were built in the early 19th century. No. 1 is doublefronted, Nos. 2–8 single-fronted. All have fluted columns
flanking the doorways. Nos. 2–7 have shallow two-storeyed
bow windows. No. 8 has a bow window at the side overlooking the river.
(499) Summerhouse, No. 9, was built in the second
quarter of the 18th century in the S.W. angle of Davy
Tower (York II, 158–9), and extended c. 1830. It is
square, of brick over a stone basement, with a doorway
and window in the E. wall, and had a pyramidal roof
with ball-finial (shown in N. Drake, The New Walk,
1756). The S. wall of the extension closely copies the
summer-house, and has a reset length of the original
coved cornice. Internally the summer-house retains its
original fittings: a chimney-piece with pulvinated
frieze, window seats, a dado rail with sunk panelling
above and a moulded and enriched cornice.
Tower Street, from Castlegate to the end of Skeldergate
Bridge, curves around the base of the motte supporting
Clifford's Tower on the W. It preserves in a greatly
widened form the course of a narrow lane between the
ditch at the base of the motte and the E. boundary wall
of the Franciscan Friary, leading to Castlegate Postern.
This was known as Castlegate Postern Lane by 1725 or
as 'the lane to the Castle Mills', later as Castle Lane, and
by 1820 as Tower Street. The new prison wall of 1822–
35 with its great gatehouse W. of the motte, demolished
in 1936, ran along the E. side of the street. Clifford
Street was pierced through in 1880 from Nessgate to the
bend in Tower Street and in 1881 the approach to
Skeldergate Bridge was opened at its S.E. end, crossing
St. George's Field.
(500) Houses, four, Nos. 11–14, of three storeys, were built
in the first half of the 19th century, Nos. 11, 12 forming a
symmetrical pair. Each house has a modern shop front, and one
front and one back room on each floor.
Walmgate (Monuments 501–539)
Walmgate, running S.E. for 600 yds. from Foss Bridge
to Walmgate Bar, is first recorded c. 1080 as 'Walbegate',
perhaps from a personal name 'Walba'. The area E. of
the Foss was for some time not regarded as part of the
city and remained outside its defences. Murage was
granted in 1267 'for the enclosing of the street called
Walmegate adjoining the city' but, although Walmgate
Bar, first mentioned in 1155, has 12th-century stone
arches, the walls protecting this suburb were still being
erected in 1345 and were not completed by the addition
of strong towers at either end until c. 1505. The Roman
road, S.W. of the fortress and followed approximately
by Castlegate, is thought to have crossed the area from
W. to E. and then continued on a line close to that of
Lawrence Street. There is little evidence for Roman
occupation in the Walmgate area other than two
wharves beside the Foss and two burials. Finds of the
Anglo-Scandinavian period are also few, but the
numerous churches founded by 1200 along Walmgate
and Fishergate (six within and seven outside the walls)
indicate extensive settlement on this bank of the Foss.
Of the four churches beside Walmgate, St. Denys (6)
and St. Margaret (9) still remain. St. Peter-le-Willows
(W. of Willow Street near the N. end) was demolished
c. 1550, and St. Mary, first mentioned c. 1150 and united
to St. Margaret in 1308, was closed in the 14th century.
It was reached by a lane from Walmgate and perhaps
served that part of St. Margaret's parish S. of the street
from a similar position to St. Peter further E. Town
houses of the Percy and Neville families and those
timber-framed buildings which survived into the 19th
century, such as the Haberdashers' Hall (Plate 3),
indicate the mediaeval importance of the street.
Intensive occupation by Irish immigrants between
1840 and 1850 turned Walmgate into a crowded and
unhealthy slum, housing over a quarter of the city's
population, most of them living in great poverty, and
with an infant death rate in 1888 of 337 per thousand.
To cater for their needs, both spiritual and physical,
St. George's Roman Catholic church (7) was opened in
1850 and there were fifteen public houses along the
street in 1852, twenty in 1901, now reduced to four.
The Victoria Iron Foundry, a brewery and the Caroline
Place linen manufactory provided some employment
among the crowded lanes and alleys. The mediaeval
lanes off Walmgate, Bakeners Lane and Church Lane
near St. Margaret's church, the common lane to the
Foss, mentioned in 1344, and Pavers Lane near St.
Denys were soon built up and accompanied by a huddle
of narrow courts and alleys, sometimes named from
the rural past, like Long Close Lane and Willow Street,
or from national figures, like Peel Street, but more
frequently from proprietors or nearby buildings, as
Hurst's Yard or Malt Shovel Yard. Most of these have
now been demolished. Post-war slum clearance and the
building of council flats since 1950 have left few traces
of mediaeval or even of pre 20th-century Walmgate
other than some timber-framed houses and the two
(501) House, No. 4, of three storeys, was built in the second
quarter of the 19th century. The front has been much altered,
with a modern shop front and rendering above, and the original
interior arrangement has also been destroyed. An opening
through the S.E. side leads to a range of four (formerly five)
dwellings, also of three storeys and of the same period as No. 4;
they replace an earlier row on the same site.
(502) House, No. 6, was rebuilt in the late 18th
century on an L-shaped plan interlocking with an early
18th-century wing which was part of No. 8. It was one
of two messuages acquired in 1779 by Joseph Hick,
blacksmith, and Martin and James Crofts, plumbers and
glaziers, and had a blacksmith's shop, with a granary
above, behind it (YCA, E94, ff. 211b–212). The property
was let to Thomas Todd, tallow-chandler, and later to
Thomas Goodell, peruke-maker, who then bought it in
1797 (YCA, E95, ff. 187b–188). It is now merged with
No. 8 to form one industrial complex.
(503) House, No. 8, large and of the early to mid
18th century, was probably originally two dwellings,
one of which in 1797 was occupied by Mr. John Ash.
In 1830 it was acquired by William Plows, stonemason,
(see York IV, lv) who had previously occupied part of
The front of the building seems to have been remodelled,
with new sashes and a new eaves cornice, in 1767; this date
appears on a rainwater head. The lower part is now a shop
front. The back is irregular with projecting wings, one of
which overlaps No. 6. The easternmost is mainly of the 19th
century. Inside, two original staircases remain.
Behind the house and 5 ft. below ground level, a short
length of stone walling, probably mediaeval, was uncovered
(504) Houses, Nos. 20, 22, are a pair of three-storey dwellings 'recently built' in 1848 (YG, 5 Aug. 1848) and now
converted for shops and storage.
(505) Five Lions, p.h., No. 24, is a two-storey building of
the late 18th century; it was originally L-shaped on plan but
the re-entrant angle has been filled in. A carriageway to the
rear was opened through the building in the 19th century and
the rest of the front elevation has been modernised on the
ground floor; above are five hung-sash windows. The interior
has been altered and refitted. Facing the yard behind is a late
18th-century stable range, originally of one and two storeys
but now heightened to two storeys throughout.
(506) House, Nos. 26, 28, of two storeys, was built probably
in 1799, the date on a rainwater head. The plan was probably
L-shaped, comprising three rooms, but the re-entrant angle
has been filled in. It is now used as two small shops.
(507) House, No. 30, is of three storeys, built 1830–40. A
carriage entrance under part of the house gives access to a wing
at the back, added before 1850, and to Cooper's Yard.
(508) House in Cooper's Yard was built before 1844, probably between 1830 and 1840; it is a substantial two-storey
structure of four bays with flat arches of good gauged brickwork over the openings.
(509) House, No. 32, is of three storeys. It was originally a
two-storey, timber-framed building of two bays, built in the
15th century, a few of the main timbers of this period remaining. A third storey was added in the following century. In
c. 1840 the house was completely refronted and in modern
times it has been converted to commercial use; the back wall
has been removed and the building extended to provide
(510) House, No. 34, was built perhaps c. 1700, on a simple
rectangular plan. In the first quarter of the 18th century it was
extended at the back, the extension being roofed at right angles
to the original house and finishing with a gable. This gable
wall is now partly concealed but on the first floor are remains
of a symmetrical arrangement of a wide window between two
narrow ones, all under elliptical brick arches. The ground floor
is now converted to a shop.
(511) House, No. 40, of brick and three-storeyed, was built
in the early 19th century; it is now in commercial use. The
plan provided one room at the front and one at the back, with
a chimney-stack between them. The staircase to the first floor
is at the back of the house, that to the second floor at the side
of the chimney.
(512) Houses, Nos. 42–50 (even), were built probably
c. 1830 and comprised a terrace of six narrow three-storey
dwellings, of which two now form No. 42, with a carriageway
through the bottom storey. All now have shops on the ground
floor and many of the windows above have been altered. Each
house had one front and one back room, with a staircase
placed either against a party wall or transversely between the
(513) Houses, 52–58 (even), form a three-storey terrace of
the early 19th century standing on part of the site of Percy's Inn,
the mediaeval town house of the Earls of Northumberland.
Each house has, or had, one front and one back room, with an
entrance passage widening at the back to take a staircase with
plain square balusters and lit at the top by a round-headed
window. On the ground floor there are now shops, and a
carriageway leading to Dixon's Yard and The Manor House.
(514) The Manor House, built c. 1830, is a plain brick
building of two storeys, one room deep and now three rooms
long but formerly longer (1852 OS map; YG, 19 April 1856).
It stood, with a small garden, in the grounds of the Iron
Foundry of Gibson and Walker and was the dwelling-house of
John Walker (York Historian, 1 (1976), 37–9).
(515) House, Nos. 64, 66, now two shops separated by a
carriageway with flats above, was built as one three-storey
dwelling shortly before 1850. The first floor indicates a plan of
three front and three back rooms with principal and secondary
staircases, one at each end of a central passage.
(516) House, Nos. 68, 70 (Fig. 150), was a substantial,
well-fitted dwelling of the early 18th century. It
incorporated in a partition wall, now removed, some
timber framing from an earlier building. Two shops
were formed in the ground floor in the late 19th century
and these gave way to one new shop c. 1965, but the
original domestic plan and fittings remain in the back
part and upstairs.
The house is of two storeys with attics and cellar. The front
has five windows across the upper floor, set under segmental
arches, above which the wall sets forward slightly. A rainwater
head on the front is dated 1783. The house is planned with two
large rooms at the front and two smaller rooms with an openwell staircase between them at the back. The staircase is approached through a panelled and pilastered archway and has
turned newels and balusters and panelled ends to the stops
(Plate 191). Opposite the balustrade is a panelled dado with
fluted pilasters opposite the newels. The staircase is lit by a large
round-headed window, flanked by fluted Corinthian pilasters.
Above is an enriched ceiling cornice. The principal room on
the first floor is lined with bolection-moulded panelling in two
heights, with dado rail and cornice (Plate 171); the upper panels
are alternately rectangular and round-headed. The modern
fireplace is flanked by Ionic pilasters and to one side is a round-headed niche with display shelves. The E. back room was
refitted in the mid 18th century; above the dado, panels are
simulated by mouldings planted over plain boarding. The
fireplace has an original eared surround and the overmantel is
flanked by foliated scrolls under a broken pediment; the
designs are based on Batty Langley's The City and Country
Builder's and Workman's Treasury of Design (1745) (Plate 177).
Fig. 150. (516) Nos. 68, 70 Walmgate.
(517) Warehouse, behind No. 72, built of brick with a
pantiled roof, is three storeys high and lit by segmental-headed windows. The long E. elevation, facing an alley known
as Black Bull Lane in 1851, is of 19th-century brickwork in
English garden wall bond above a few courses of narrow
(518) House, No. 5, was built c. 1830, probably as a public
house; in 1850 it was known as The Three Cups (OS) but was
recently occupied as a private house. It is of two storeys; the
walls are of brick with hung-sash windows and the roof is
covered with pantiles. The frontage to Walmgate is narrow;
there is a longer frontage to Merchantgate with a central
doorway. A low wing projects S.W. and has been extended.
Inside, a central room is entirely enclosed between the entrance
lobby, the two main rooms and, on the fourth side, the staircase.
(519) Red Lion, p.h., Merchantgate (Plate 118;
Fig. 151), is an L-shaped building of two storeys,
timber-framed but with the lower storey rebuilt in
brick. The N.E. wing was built in the 15th century and
one-and-a-half bays remain, apparently part of a first-floor hall with a lower storey below. A closed truss
survives complete at the N.W. end and part of an open
truss to S.E. The building may originally have continued further N.W. The S.E. part of the wing was
rebuilt in the late 16th or early 17th century, and an
attic has been formed in the top of the hall by the
insertion of a floor about 3½ ft. below the tie-beams.
The S.W. wing, also of two storeys but much lower,
was built in two stages in the early 17th century. The
whole building has been very much altered.
The 15th-century framing has heavy curved braces rising
from main posts to wall-plates. The N.W. tie-beam, nearly
2 ft. deep, is boldly cambered and carries a crown-post to
support a collar-purlin under a collar-rafter roof (Fig. 6e).
The second truss has had all the middle part of the tie-beam
and the crown-post above removed, to make usable attic
space. The later parts of the building have studs of slender
scantling and long straight braces, under roofs of claspedpurlin construction.
Fig. 151. (519) Red Lion p.h., Merchantgate.
(520) House, No. 9, was built in the late 18th century. In
1850 it was The Black Horse p.h. and now contains a shop. It
is a long narrow building of three storeys with its main frontage to Merchantgate. On plan two unequal rooms are disposed one on each side of the entrance hall and stairs.
Fig. 152. (521) No. 11 Walmgate.
(521) House, No. 11 (Fig. 152), built in the mid 18th
century, is of three storeys. At the front the ground floor has
been converted to a shop; the upper part is built of common
brick with red brick dressings and a bold timber cornice at the
eaves. Inside, the staircase is placed transversely between the
shop at the front and a room at the back; it has square newels,
close string, and turned balusters.
(522) House, No. 13, of three storeys, was built shortly
before 1850. The ground floor is occupied by a shop.
(523) House, No. 15, was built c. 1830. It is of three storeys
and the ground floor is occupied by a shop. Some roof timbers
remain from an earlier building behind which has been pulled
(524) House, No. 17, comprises a three-storey front
block of early 19th-century date, roofed parallel to the
street, and a mid 18th-century back part, of two storeys
and attics, roofed at right angles to the front. Timber
framing in the party wall between Nos. 17 and 19
belongs to an earlier two-storey structure on the site,
probably of the 16th century and a survival from the
extensive buildings belonging to Alderman Holme in
1542 on the site of Nos. 15–25. By 1561 these had been
split into two properties. The front part of No. 17 has
a shop on the ground floor and a single large room,
34 ft. long, on the first floor. In the back part a mid
18th-century staircase with open string and turned
balusters rises to the first floor only.
(525) House, No. 19, of two storeys, was built c. 1700
incorporating on the W. side part of a timber-framed wall
probably of the 16th century. The front was rebuilt in the late
19th century. On plan the house has front and back rooms
separated by a massive chimney-stack and to one side an
entrance lobby and staircase, contained under a separate small
gable. The staircase has square newels, close string and turned
balusters (Fig. 11l). In the roof the common rafters are
stiffened by occasional collars clasping purlins.
(526) House, No. 21, of two storeys, has a late 19th-century
front wall continuous with that of No. 19. The house behind
was built probably in the early 18th century but the back half
has been demolished.
(527) House, No. 23, refronted with Nos. 19 and 21 and
also of two storeys, is of 18th-century date but much altered.
It was formerly the Duke of York p.h. Behind was a courtyard surrounded by buildings of which one, of late 17th-century date, survives. It is a two-storey structure of brick
which has been extensively altered but retains triangular and
segmental pediments in brick over some of the former
openings (Plate 185; Fig. 8a).
Fig. 153. (528) No. 25 Walmgate.
(528) House, No. 25 (Fig. 153), of two storeys and
attics, was built in the late 17th century under a single
wide roof gabled at front and back. The front gable is
now trimmed with 19th-century barge-boards. Above
a 19th-century shop front the windows are set under
elliptical arches with recessed brickwork in the tympana
(Fig. 8b). At the back the storeys are marked by platbands; the ground and first-floor windows have been
altered but parts of similar elliptical arches remain. Over
the attic window is a curved pediment in brick (Plate
The plan suggests that the front was originally designed to
contain a shop, with access to the domestic quarters opening
off a through-passage into a stair hall in the middle of the
building. The staircase rises round an open well with substantial square newels, moulded close strings and bulbous
turned balusters. A fireplace on the first floor has a bolection-moulded surround.
(529) House, Nos. 35, 37, in the angle between
Walmgate and Dennis Street, was built as a two-storey
timber-framed structure perhaps in the 16th century
and a timber-framed wing was added to the S.W. soon
after. In c. 1740 the front was rebuilt in brick and the
interior remodelled. Early in the 19th century a wing
was added behind the S.E. end and facing Dennis
Street. Late in the same century the side of the original
house facing Dennis Street was rebuilt and the front
remodelled with shop windows. No. 37 was later
gutted to form an electricity sub-station.
Of the original timber framing only a few posts and beams
are visible; in the S.W. wing the corner-posts are enlarged to
carry the cross-beams; the walls were close-studded without
jetties. An 18th-century staircase in the central entrance hall
has been rearranged.
(530) House, Nos. 41, 43, 45 (Fig. 154), of two
storeys, were originally timber-framed but were refronted in brick in the late 18th century. No. 41 was
built in the 15th or 16th century as a two-storey block
of at least three bays, with its gable-end to the street.
Later alteration and rebuilding removed much of the
framing and the whole of the roof. Nos. 43 and 45
were built in the 14th century as an open hall roofed
parallel to the street, with a cross-wing at right angles;
in the late 16th century the hall was divided into two
storeys, a chimney-stack inserted and an extension built
at the back under a wide-spreading roof at right angles
to the hall roof. It was later divided into two tenements.
The whole was demolished in 1966.
Much of the original framing of the hall survived in the
back S. wall: the hall was of two unequal bays with a window
in each bay extending above and below a middle rail and
divided by three diagonally-set mullions, 4 in. wide. Of the
central truss only the lower part of the S. post remained; it
had a mortice for a large brace coming down to within 2½ ft.
of the floor and another mortice for a horizontal member just
above it. A roof truss of crown-post construction remained at
the E. end (Plate 135). A post carrying the middle rail must
have supported a truss in the demolished cross-wing. There
was no evidence for studding below the middle rail, indicating that the hall was open to the ground floor of the cross-wing. Demolished.
Fig. 154. (530) Nos. 41, 43, 45 Walmgate.
(531) Houses, Nos. 51–59 (odd), form a terrace of small
two-storey dwellings built c. 1840. All are now converted to
(532) House, Nos. 61, 63, stuccoed and of three storeys,
was built c. 1840 and has been remodelled to form shops and
(533) Houses and Shops, Nos. 65–69a (odd), were erected,
probably as business premises, c. 1840. They form a uniform
two-storey range with a continuous band joining the first-floor window-sills. The present shop fronts are not original.
(534) House, No. 73. The front part, of three storeys, is of
early 19th-century date but intersecting ceiling beams, now
cased over, suggest that it may be a reconstruction of an
earlier timber-framed building. The back part, of two storeys
and attics, has walls of 18th-century brick and may represent
a continuation of the original timber-framed structure.
(535) House and Shop, No. 75, of two storeys, were built
in the first half of the 19th century. The shop front occupies
half the frontage, with a small bay window next to it and a
passageway to the back beyond.
(536) House, No. 77 (Plate 126; Fig. 155), is a two-storey timber-framed structure, partly rebuilt in brick.
The W. part, with gable-end to the street, was built in
the 15th century, the E. part in the late 16th century.
There are modern additions at the back.
The W. end is jettied above the rebuilt lower storey and the
timber framing is exposed in the upper part. There are down
ward braces to the corner-posts. The tie-beam has been reshaped to give a steep camber and it carries a crown-post with
enlarged head under a collar tapered at each end. There is no
collar-purlin but there is a collar to each pair of rafters in the
roof behind. The structure is of two bays and some of the
original framing remains in the upper part of the E. and W.
The E. part is in two bays, jettied to the street, with ogee
braces to the posts in the upper storey. The upper floor is
carried on exposed chamfered beams, the arrangement of
which suggests that the ground floor originally comprised one
room at the E. end and a passage at the W., adjoining the earlier
structure. In the roof the rafters are supported by two purlins
each side; a central queen-strut truss provides a collar to carry
the upper purlins, and raking struts to the lower purlins
Fig. 155. (536) No. 77 Walmgate.
(537) Bowes Morrell House, No. 111 (Plate 118;
Figs. 156, 157), was built c. 1400 as a timber-framed
house on an L-shaped plan. It had an open hall some
20 ft. wide but only 10½ ft. long. The lower part of the
hall was open to the ground floor of a two-storey range
built at right angles, the width of the hall being equal
to the length of two of the three bays which formed the
two-storey range. There is some evidence that there
was a structure continuing the line of the hall to the W.
but with no internal communication with the hall. In
the 16th century a timber-framed addition was built in
the re-entrant angle and projecting S. In the late 17th
century the original two-storey range was extended S.
in brick. The building was restored in 1932 and, more
drastically, in 1966.
In the original building the main framing is exposed. The
E. wing is jettied at the N. end. From most of the main posts
curved braces support middle rails and wall-plates, but the
corner-posts over the jetty are stiffened by braces from the
adjacent horizontal beams, and there are downward braces
also to the post between hall and E. wing, which starts at
first-floor level to leave the opening between the hall and
ground floor of the wing completely clear. Each of the cross-beams carrying the upper floor in the wing is enlarged at one
end but not at the other, and the joists are tenoned to one
beam, halved to another and run over the top of a third. The
roofs are of crown-post construction (Plate 129); over the hall
there are, in addition, side-purlins carried by struts which
cross the braces to the crown-posts and also supported by
curved braces from the struts (Plate 129). Similar struts appear
in the N. end truss of the E. wing but without side-purlins. In
the hall the upper floor is carried on 18th-century joists but
there is evidence for an earlier inserted floor in mortices in the
E. wall. Many of the timbers in the E. wing show good
carpenters' assembly marks.
The S.W. addition, of the 16th century, is of two bays;
most of the timber framing has been renewed. The brick
extension has a plat-band at first-floor level and a tumbled
gable to the S. The roof is carried on simple tie-beam trusses
with purlins tenoned to the principal rafters.
(538) House, No. 129, was built in the late 16th century
as a small two-storey dwelling with one room on each floor.
The walls, originally timber-framed, were rebuilt in brick in
the 18th and 19th centuries and a lean-to kitchen was added
at the back. The house was of three bays with purlins clasped
between the collars and principals of the four trusses.
Fig. 156. (537) Bowes Morrell House, No. 111 Walmgate.
Fig. 157. (537) Bowes Morrell House, No. 111 Walmgate.
(539) Houses, Nos. 141, 143, of two storeys with
18th-century brick walls, contained fragments of timber
framing perhaps of the 14th century. The original
building consisted of three unequal bays of 8½ ft., 12 ft.
and 14½ ft. respectively, and may have been longer.
Mortices on the S. side suggested a S. wing. The building was at least partly divided into two storeys; one
truss was closed in the lower storey only, one in the
upper storey only. As mortices for floor joists in one
cross-beam were not matched by mortices in the next,
it appears that joists may have been secured by tenons at
one place and by bearing on top of a cross-beam at
another, as at No. 111 above. The original roof had
entirely disappeared but mortices in a tie-beam suggested crown-post construction. Recorded during demolition in 1959.
Whip-ma-whop-ma-gate, the short street connecting
Colliergate with Pavement, is first mentioned in 1505
as 'Whitnourwhatnourgate' and later as 'Whitney
Whatneygate', a name probably of derisive origin
rather than having any connection with the whipping
of dogs or vagrants. The alternative name of Salvey
Rents or Salvegate was used in some 17th and 18th-century documents. The street was widened c. 1750 by
the removal of houses built against the E. end of St.
House, No. 1a, see Nos. 22, 23, 23½ Shambles (430).