(OS 1:10000 a SP 99 SE, b TL 09 SW, c TL 08 NW)
The long, generally rectangular, parish (Fig. 11) now
covering 590 hectares, and once part of Cotterstock, lies
along the valley of Glapthorn Brook, here draining E.
to the R. Nene which forms part of the E. boundary.
The higher areas away from the brook are covered by
Boulder or Jurassic Clays, while along the valley-sides
limestones, sands, and marls outcrop.
Prehistoric or Roman
b(1) Enclosure (TL 01949061), immediately N. of the village, on limestone at 130 ft. above OD. It is only visible on air
photographs as a rectangular ditched feature, orientated N.-S.,
30 m. by 15 m., overlain by later ridge-and-furrow. No
entrance or interior features are visible. (RAF VAP CPE/UK 2109,
For the Roman Villa sited at TL 03349053 by OS, see Cotterstock (2).
Medieval and Later
b(2) Settlement remains (TL 02129061–02269061), formerly part of Glapthorn village, N. of Manor Farm. They consist
of indeterminate earthworks resulting from houses which were
still in existence in 1814 (map in NRO). S.W. of Manor Farm
(TL 02099051) are further earthworks although this site was
already devoid of buildings in 1635 (map in NRO).
b(3) Hollow-way (TL 010912–014911), along the S.W. edge
of Short Wood, immediately inside the parish boundary with
Southwick. In its central section it is up to 2 m. deep. It was
certainly out of use by 1814 (NRO, Enclosure Map of Cotterstock).
For Cultivation Remains, see Cotterstock (3).