(OS 1:10000 a TL 07 SW, b TL 06 NW)
The parish, covering some 570 hectares, lies S.E. of
Raunds, adjoining Bedfordshire and the old county of
Huntingdonshire on land between 170 ft. and 270 ft.
above OD. Most of the parish is on Boulder Clay except
along the sides of a small valley which drains N.E.,
where Oxford Clay is exposed.
A large Roman settlement (1) indicates that the underlying Boulder Clay constituted no hindrance to occupation at that time.
Prehistoric and Roman
Roman pottery from an unspecified building site, perhaps
in the village, has been recorded (Beds. Arch. J., 7 (1972), 14
a(1) Iron Age and Roman settlement (TL 035722), in the
N. of the parish, on Boulder Clay at 220 ft. above OD. In
1893 Roman pottery and a stone coffin were found here as
well as coins and 'relics of a settlement' (TL 03357228). More
pottery and a coin were discovered in 1965. Another coin, now
in Huntingdon Museum, may have come from the same site.
Air photographs show (at TL 035722) two semicircular ditches
which may be part of an enclosure, 140 m. in diam., and
further N. at TL 03577238 are indications of a rectangular
building, 30 m. by 10 m., orientated almost E.-W., with at
least one internal wall. Roman and Iron Age pottery have
recently been found on the site. (Ass. Arch. Soc. Rep., XXII
(1893–4), 82–7; VCH Northants., I (1902), 218; BNFAS, 2
(1967), 11; Beds. Arch. J., 7 (1972), 14, Hargrave 1; OS Record
Cards; RAF VAP CPE/UK 1925, 3266–7)
Medieval and Later
a(2) Site of medieval building (TL 034715), immediately
N. of the village in the bottom of a small valley, on Oxford
Clay at 180 ft. above OD. A large quantity of pottery of 13th
and 14th-century date, together with limestone rubble, has
been found (BNFAS, 3 (1969), 23).
a(3) Settlement remains (TL 034707), formerly part of
Hargrave village, W. of the church on the S. side of the village
street. An area of low earthworks including platforms and
banks is separated from the adjoining ridge-and-furrow by a
large bank and ditch. The site had already been abandoned by
1802 (map in NRO). Other building sites exist, or existed,
elsewhere in the village, on plots between standing houses (RAF
VAP CPE/UK 1994, 2406–7).
(4) Cultivation remains (Fig. 91). The common fields
were enclosed by Act of Parliament in 1802 (maps in NRO).
Ridge-and-furrow of these fields can be seen on the ground, or
traced on air photographs over much of the parish, mainly
arranged in end-on or interlocked furlongs. Within this ridgeand-furrow, and elsewhere, long low ridges up to 700 m. long
and formerly headlands, still survive on the ground. There is a
remarkably complex group W. of the village around TL 022705.
(RAF VAP CPE/UK 1925, 2262–8, 3264–9; 1994, 2403–8)
a(5–7) are enclosures in the W. of the parish, only visible
from the air. No dimensions are known. (BNFAS, 6 (1971), 13,
Hargrave (1), (2) and (3))
a(5) Enclosure (TL 01777028), on Boulder Clay, small and
a(6) Enclosures (TL 02257140), possibly two or three, on
a(7) Enclosure (TL 01787110), roughly triangular, on