(OS 1:10000 a TL 08 NE, b TL 18 NW)
The parish occupies a roughly rectangular area (Fig. 10),
covering some 580 hectares, against the former Huntingdonshire boundary, sloping generally N.E. between
225 ft. and 150 ft. above OD. It is mainly on Boulder
Clay except in the N.E. where the headwaters of Billing
Brook have exposed underlying Oxford Clay.
To the S.E. of the village are extensive earthwork
remains which were formerly part of it (1).
A British K (South Feriby type) Coritanian gold stater,
recorded by D. F. Allen as from 'Peterborough?' was actually
discovered at Lutton (PM; S. S. Frere (ed.), Problems of the Iron
Age in Southern Britain, (1958), 183).
Medieval and Later
b(1) Settlement remains (TL 114876; Fig. 74; Plate 19),
formerly part of Lutton village, lie immediately S.E. of the
Manor House on Boulder Clay at 200 ft. above OD. Although
claimed to be the remains of a homestead moat (VCH Northants.,
II (1906), 412) the site, partly shown on OS large-scale maps
and plans, in fact comprises a number of hollow-ways and
ditches which are the survivals of old roads, closes and house
sites. The largest feature is the deeply-cut and rutted hollowway, known in the 19th century as 'Blind Lane', to the S.E.
of the Manor House ('a'-'b' on Fig. 74). At its N.E. end it
joins another hollow-way running N.W., and at its S.W. end
it meets the existing road. N.W. of the hollow-way are the
remains of two rectangular paddocks, bounded by ditches up
to 2 m. deep. Elsewhere there are slight ditches and banks of
former closes, and a number of probable building-sites.
The whole area was already abandoned by the late 17th
century (NRO, map of Lutton, 1690) but the hollow-ways
remained in use as roads until the 19th century (NRO, map of
1802 and Tithe Map of 1843).
b(2) Coin hoard (TL 11258765) was found in 1960 in the
field immediately S. of the Manor House. It consisted of 183
silver coins dating from 1557 to 1644 (PM; Brit. Num. J.,
XXXIII (1964), 154–5).
Fig. 74 Lutton (1) Settlement remains
(3) Cultivation remains. The common fields of the parish
were finally enclosed by an Act of Parliament of 1864 (NRO,
Enclosure Map, 1864) but by that date only the W. part of
the parish, then divided into three large fields, remained open.
The rest had certainly been enclosed by the late 17th century
and probably much earlier (NRO, map of Lutton, 1690).
Ridge-and-furrow of the common fields, as they existed in the
19th century, survives, or can be traced on air photographs, in
two places. N.W. of the village (TL 107878) are the remains of
two interlocked furlongs, and further W. (TL 097882) are traces
of five more interlocked furlongs. All these lay in Oundle Field
in 1864, and the individual strips on the pre-enclosure map of
the same date and on the Tithe Map of 1843 (both in NRO),
can be correlated with the traceable ridge-and-furrow. Further
ridge-and-furrow of the same form can be seen S.E. of the
village (TL 112875 and 115874). This area was already enclosed
in 1690. (RAF VAP CPE/UK 2109, 3398–9)