(OS 1:10000 a SP 88 SE, b SP 88 NE, c SP 98 SW,
d SP 98 NW)
The parish, in the shape of an irregular L, occupies 925
hectares of land between Corby and Kettering (Fig. 13).
The W, part of the parish is a long, narrow strip of land
lying parallel to and S. of the R. Ise, between 76 m. and
107 m. above OD. The down-cutting of the R. Ise has
exposed extensive areas of sands, silts and limestones.
The N.E. part of the parish lies N. of the river and is
mainly on Boulder Clay, at about 91 m. above OD,
except in the extreme N. where it reaches the valley of
the Harper's Brook at 76 m. above OD.
Prehistoric and Roman
A Levallois flake was found at SP 895834 in 1974.
Roman coins, pottery and bones are recorded (NM
Records; Archaeol. Newsletter, 1 (1948), 15).
a(1) Roman Settlement (?) (SP 88338220). in
the S. of the parish, on limestone at 99 m. above OD.
During ironstone-working in 1968 a large quantity of
Roman pottery was found here (OS Record Cards).
a(2) Roman Iron-Working Site (SP 89378280),
on the S. of the village, close to the R. Ise, on clay and
sand at 72 m. above OD. During pipe-laying in 1951 the
remains of ten iron-smelting furnaces were found,
associated with pottery which was said to be of 2nd and
3rd-century date. No further details are recorded (NM
d(3) Roman Settlement (SP 90358547) in the
extreme N.E. of the parish close to the Stanion
boundary, on Boulder Clay at 85 m. above OD. Part of
a quern and some 1st-century pottery were found in an
area of dark soil with a scatter of limestone and pebbles
(Northants. Archaeol., 10 (1975), 154). The site is one
of a group, the rest of which lie N.E. in Stanion parish
(see Stanion (2–7)).
a(4) Iron Age and Roman Settlement (SP
871824–879824), on the N. side of Weekley Hall Wood,
on limestone at 91 m. above OD. During ironstonequarrying in 1972–4 the following discoveries were
made: (a) at SP 871824, many ditches and pits containing
late Belgic or early Roman pottery; (b) at SP 87608275,
a quantity of worked flints and a number of ditches and
areas of burning, all containing mid and late 1st-century
Roman pottery; (c) at SP 874825, two pits filled with
burnt clay and slag; (d) at SP 874824 an iron-smelting
furnace (Northants. Archaeol., 9 (1974), 89); (e) at SP
870823, ditches revealed in a quarry face contained
early Roman pottery and kiln material (Northants.
Archaeol., 8 (1973), 6).
This site is part of the large Roman occupation area
to the S. (see Kettering (6) and Weekley (1)).
Medieval and Later
A late medieval bronze badge decorated with a falcon
and a Tudor rose was found in the N.E. side of the
churchyard, not far from (6) (SP 89588304; Northants.
Archaeol., 10 (1975), 145–6; KM).
d(5) Saxon Settlement (?) (SP 90158572),
in the extreme N.E. of the parish close to the Harper's
Brook, on limestone at 76 m. above OD. A thin scatter
of early or mid-Saxon pottery has been recorded
(Northants. Archaeol., 10 (1975), 165).
a(6) Royal Hunting Lodge (perhaps SP
89558308), immediately N.E. of Geddington church.
There was a small royal estate of one hide here in 1086,
which was later enlarged. In 1129–30 £17 was spent in
'the making of the King's house at Geddington'. Subsequent additions and repairs were made but none is
recorded after 1285. No building remained standing
after 1374 (H.M. Colvin, The History of the King's
Works, II (1963), 943–4). The site, according to Bridges,
was N.E. of the church in a close called Castle or Hall
Yard, where irregularities suggested the existence of
foundations (J. Bridges, Hist. of Northants., II (1791),
309; C.A. Markham, Hist. and Ants. of Geddington,
(1899), 50–52). The area, which was called Castle Close
in 1717 (NRO, Map of Geddington), is now covered by a
modern housing estate.
Fig. 51 Grafton Underwood (1–3)
(7) Site of Medieval Buildings (unlocated).
Bridges records that 'in the south-west part of the village
as may be conjectured from the foundations and ruins
was once a considerable building. The gate house belong
ing to it is still entire' (J. Bridges, Hist of Northants., II
(1791), 309). No trace of this has been noted.
(8) Cultivation Remains. The common fields
of the parish were enclosed by Act of Parliament (NRO,
Enclosure Map, 1808). Before enclosure there were five
large open fields, West, Mill, and Tickley Fields W. of
the village and Wood and Debdale Fields N. and E. of it.
These covered all of the parish except for a strip of old
enclosures S. of the village between Debdale and Tickley
Fields, and a larger area of old enclosures known as
Bancroft Closes in the E. of the parish. Most of the
ridge-and-furrow of the three fields in the W. of the
parish has been obliterated by extensive ironstone-mining,
but one small fragment is still traceable on air photographs, S.E. of Geddington Grange Farm (SP 874826).
It is called Asp Leys on a map of Geddington of 1717
(Map at Boughton House, copy in NRO) and at that
time was not in strips. The term Leys probably applied
here to an area of arable temporarily laid down to grass.
In the E. of the parish ridge-and-furrow can be seen on
the ground or is traceable on air photographs in the
common fields in the Furlong Against Stowe Hill (SP
892841) and Wood Way Furlong (SP 898835) in Wood
Field, and in Wiche Tree Furlong and elsewhere in
Debdale Field. It is also traceable as discrete blocks
within most of the old enclosures of Bancroft Closes,
and Great and Little Stockings (SP 904831 and 902833),
and also of Home Close, Conny Gree, Boughton Field
and New Field, S. of the village. (RAF VAP 541/602,
3118–27, 4097–4103, 3097–3104; 541/611, 3046–9,
4044–8; 540/474, 3045–6, 4051–4; F22 540/RAF/
1312, 0107–11; F22 82/RAF/865, 0245–7; F21 82/
RAF/865, 0283–90, 0324–30).