33 HADDON, EAST
(OS 1: 10000 a SP 66 NW, b SP 66 NE)
The parish, covering just over 1080 hectares, lies between
two E.-flowing streams between 180 m. and 90 m. above
OD. Most of the lower ground is on Upper Lias Clay but
the main E.–W. ridge across the centre of the parish is
Northampton Sand overlaid by patches of Boulder Clay
and glacial sands and gravels.
b(1) Barrow (?) (SP 655687), W. of Covert Farm on
Northampton Sand at 160 m. above OD. There is a 19th-century reference to a tumulus but no mound can be traced
in the vicinity (Archaeologia, 35 (1853), Pl. 16; OS Record
Medieval and Later
b(2) Manor house site and fishponds (?) (SP 668678),
lies S. of the village, immediately E. of Church Lane, on
clay sloping S. between 145 m. and 152 m. above OD. The
remains fall into two parts. In the N., behind Clifden
Cottages (SP 668679), there is a raised platform 40 m.
square, bounded by a scarp up to 1.5 m. high and with a
broad ditch or narrow pond on its E. side. In the valley
bottom below (SP668677) are two small ponds, each with a
low dam 1.5 m. high, set inside and on the E. of a
rectangular enclosure bounded by a low bank and ditch.
Nothing is known of the history of the site and on the
earliest large-scale plan of the village (NRO, 1859) no
buildings are shown (RAF VAP CPE/UK/1994, 3263–5).
(3) Cultivation remains. The common fields of the
parish were finally enclosed by an Act of Parliament of
1773 though apparently no map survives. A detailed
survey, made in 1598, showing the common fields as they
then existed, reveals a very complex picture (NRO). The
N. part of the parish was called North Field, and was
sub-divided into West, Middle and East Fields; the S. of the
parish was South Field, sub-divided into South, Middle and
East Fields. There was also a South Field Heath. In 1629 a
lease (NRO) referred to a recent enclosure of the South
Field by agreement between the three lords of the manor
and one freeholder. This event can be dated to between
1598 and 1607. When the North Field was finally enclosed
in 1773 it had by this date been renamed as Upper Middle
and Holdenby Fields.
Ridge-and-furrow of these common fields exists on the
ground or can be traced on air photographs over large parts
of the parish, arranged in end-on and interlocked furlongs,
many of reversed-S form. Ridge-and-furrow is
particularly well preserved in the park of East Haddon
Hall, N. of the village (SP 669685), and W. of the village,
along the N. side of the road to Long Buckby (SP 660682).
In the N. of the parish, near Washbrook Bridge (SP
668690), three interlocked furlongs preserved in pasture
show extremely well the careful adaptation of the layout to
the natural topography (RAF VAP CPE/UK/1994, 1366–8,
2361–6, 4260–4, 4266–9).
Human bones embedded in gravel were discovered in
about 1830 in a field to the N. of the village (Whellan, Dir.,