(OS 1: 10000 a SP 67 SE, b SP 66 NE, c SP 77 SW,
d SP 76 NW)
The parish, which now covers about 750 hectares, has
undergone considerable modern alteration. It is partly
made up of two land units each of which was originally
centred on a medieval settlement (Fig. 14). Most of the N.
part was the land of the village of Hollowell in the medieval
period, and this was once part of Guilsborough parish
(NRO, Tithe Map of Hollowell, 1842). In the S. was the
land of the hamlet of Teeton, once part of Ravensthorpe
parish (NRO, Map of Teeton, 1831 and Tithe Map of
Teeton, 1842). The N.W. part of the parish was also
formerly part of Ravensthorpe though there was a small
detached part of Hollowell within the latter parish. The
present parish lies across the valley of two small
S.E.-flowing streams which have cut deeply into the
underlying Upper Lias Clay leaving high, flat-topped
interfluves capped with Northampton Sand between 85 m.
and 165 m. above OD. Little has been recorded in the
parish, apart from the Roman sites (2–5) which were
discovered by recent field-walking.
Prehistoric and Roman
a(1) Flint-working site (SP 681718), W. of the village,
on Northampton Sand at 150 m. above OD. Large
quantities of waste flakes have been found over an area of 3
hectares (inf. A. E. Brown).
ab(2) Iron Age and Roman settlement (centred SP
692700), around Teeton Grange, on Northampton Sand,
at about 105 m. above OD. Roman pottery, including
samian, has been found during field-walking in the two
fields immediately N.W. and S.E. of the Grange.
Subsequent work has revealed some Iron Age pottery in the
same area (BNFAS, 4 (1970), 9; Northants. Archaeol., 10
(1975), 163; 12 (1977), 215). Air photographs (in NMR)
indicate that the whole area around Teeton Grange has
cropmarks on it. These are very indistinct and show no
coherent features but cover an area of some 17 hectares.
a(3) Roman settlement (SP 689706), N. of Teeton
Lodge, on Northampton Sand at 140 m. above OD. Large
quantities of Roman pottery have been found over an area
of 2 hectares (Northants. Archaeol., 12 (1977), 215).
a(4) Roman settlement (centred SP 695707), N. of
Teeton Hall, on Northampton Sand at about 120 m. above
OD. Roman pottery has been found over an area of about
1.5 hectares. Two sherds of early Saxon pottery are
recorded from the site (Northants. Archaeol., 10 (1975), 163).
a(5) Roman settlement (SP 690717), S. of the village, on
Northampton Sand at 125 m. above OD. Large quantities
of Roman pottery have been found here in two marked
concentrations a few metres apart (Northants. Archaeol., 12
(1977), 212). A thin scatter of Roman sherds has also been
noted all over this part of the parish extending S. as far as
(2) and (3).
Medieval and Later
a(6) Pillow mound (SP 69217065), lies W. of Teeton, on
Northampton Sand at 130 m. above OD. It is rectangular,
12 m. by 9 m. and 1 m. high, orientated N.E.–S.W. and
with a flat top. There is no trace of a ditch in the present
arable land which surrounds it. It has been much disturbed
by rabbits and no date or purpose can be assigned to it; it is
not shown on the 1831 map of Teeton (NRO).
(7) Cultivation remains. Both Hollowell and Teeton
had their own common field systems in medieval times.
The common fields of Hollowell were enclosed by an Act
of Parliament of 1774. Very little ridge-and-furrow
survives on the ground or can be traced on air photographs,
largely as a result of later cultivation and because
Northampton Sand does not show clear cropmarks of
former cultivation. To the S.E. of Hollowell village, on the
sides of the clay-lined valley, is a broad area of ridge-and-furrow mainly running across the slopes in end-on
furlongs, although where it is adapted to the occasional
spurs the furlongs become interlocked (e.g. SP 696722). To
the N. of the village, in the same valley, the sides of
Hollowell Reservoir are edged with ridge-and-furrow.
Elsewhere, on the Northampton Sand area, ridge-and-furrow has survived only in one field left as pasture after
19th-century stone-quarrying (SP 690710).
Fig. 84 Kelmarsh (3) Cropmarks
The common fields of Teeton were enclosed by private
agreement in 1590. Ridge-and-furrow survives on the
ground or can be traced on air photographs in a few places
N.E. of the village (SP 698708) and along the S. boundary of
the parish (SP 701702). The furlongs all run across the
contours (RAF VAP CPE/UK/1994, 1370–3, 1464–8).