(OS 1:10000 a SP 55 SE, b SP 55 SW, c SP 54 NE)
The rectangular parish occupies only 574 hectares on
a spur projecting S. between two S.S.E.-flowing
streams. Much of the higher ground, rising to a
maximum height of 173 m. above OD, is covered
by Boulder Clay, but there are patches of Northampton Sand where the land falls into the valleys and
expanses of glacial sands and gravels alongside the
stream in the N.E.
No prehistoric or Roman remains have been found
in the parish but the settlement remains (1) of the
medieval village are of interest.
Medieval and Later
a(1) Settlement Remains (SP 595515), formerly part of
Adstone, lie in and around the village, on Boulder Clay
and Northampton Sand, between 150 m. and 170 m.
above OD. The village is small and stands at the junction
of a number of roads which meet at a triangular green.
The latter may once have been much larger, perhaps extending further S.E., although there is no proof of this.
The parish church would then have stood in the S. corner
of the green.
On the S.W. side of the village, alongside the road to
Blakesley, is an area of earthworks covering some 3 hectares, but most of these remains have been dug into by
large quarries and it is difficult to interpret what now
exists. There are probable house-sites in the form of
roughly rectangular sunken areas 10 m. by 6 m., with
closes bounded by low banks and ditches extending up the
slope behind them. There is also a short length of
hollow-way running W. at the S. end. At the N.E. end of
the village, further closes lie on the N. side of the Maidford
Road but these too have later quarries cut through them.
To the E. of the village are other abandoned closes. (RAF
VAP CPE/UK/1994, 4093–4; CPE/UK/1926, 3053–4; air photographs in NMR)
(2) Cultivation Remains. The date of the enclosure of
the common fields of Adstone is unknown, but was probably earlier than the late 18th century; a map of 1780
(NRO) covering only a small group of fields in the N. of
the parish suggests this.
Ridge-and-furrow of these fields exists on the ground
or can be traced on air photographs over much of the
parish, arranged in end-on and interlocked furlongs of
normal medieval forms, usually with reversed-S curves.
(RAF VAP CPE/UK/1926, 1051–5, 3051–7; CPE/UK/1994, 4093–