List of Illustrations

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Year published

1984

Supporting documents

Pages

15-29

Annotate

Comment on this article | View annotations
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'List of Illustrations', An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the County of Northamptonshire, Volume 6: Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire (1984), pp. XV-XXIX. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=126692 Date accessed: 30 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS

(The prefixed numerals in brackets refer to the monument numbers in the text)

GENERAL Map showing the Inventory areaFig. 1, p. xxxii
    Map showing the physical setting of the Inventory areaFig. 2, p. xxxiv
    Geological map of Inventory areaFig. 3, p. xxxv
    Maps showing the Forest of Rockingham and medieval settlement within the Inventory areaFig. 4, p. xl
    Classification of post-medieval house plansFig. 5, p. lx
    Farmyard plansFig. 6, p. lxvi
    DovecotesFig. 7, p. lxviii
    Maps showing the medieval parishes and the distribution of churches surviving within the Inventory areaFig. 8, p. lxxiii
    Table showing comparative development of church plansFig. 9, p. lxxvi
    Norman naves of double-square proportionFig. 10, p. lxxix
    Naves possibly of Norman originFig. 11, p. lxxxi
    Thirteenth-century naves of three-square proportionFig. 12, p. lxxxiii
    Apethorpe Church. Copy of seating plan of 1735Fig. 13, p. xcvii
    Yarwell Church. Copy of seating plan of 1782Fig. 14, p. xcviii
    Harringworth Church. Copy of 18th-century seating planFig. 15, p. xcix
    Harringworth Church. Copy of undated drawing of interior, perhaps early 19th-centuryFig. 16, p. c
PARISHES
1 APETHORPE
    Village mapFig. 17, p. 1
    (1) Parish church of St. Leonard. planFig. 18, p. 2
    Plan in 1735Fig. 13, p. xcvii
    Exterior from S.Pl. 56
    Tower from W.Pl. 56
    Mildmay Chapel. E. WindowPl. 62
    Decoration of S. wallFig. 19, p. 3
    MouldingsFig. 20, p. 3
    Glass in E. window of chancel, 1732Pl. 57
    Monument (1) of Rowland Woodward, 17th-centuryPl. 65
    Monument (2) of John Leigh, died 1627Pl. 65
    Monument (4) of John Fane, died 1816Pl. 72
    Monument (5), tomb slab with Annunciation scene, 15th-centuryPl. 45
    Monument (6) of Sir Anthony Mildmay, 1617, and Grace, LadyFrontispiece.
    Mildmay, 1620Pls. 60, 61
    Pulpit, 1736Pl. 66
    Rainwater head, 1735Pl. 68
    Screen to tower, 17th-centuryPl. 67
    (2) Apethorpe Hall. Ground-floor planopp. p. 5
    First-floor planopp. p. 8
    Reconstruction of the main range in 16th centuryFig. 21, p. 6
    Reconstruction of ground and first-floor plans of S. and E. ranges in 1624Fig. 22, p. 7
    Plan of the house and gardens in early 18th century taken from early 19th-century copy (NRO, W(A) Misc. vol. 37)Fig. 23, p. 13
    Main range from E.Pl. 84
    Gateway and libraryPl. 86
    Gateway from N.Pl. 86
    E. range, E. frontPl. 85
    W. elevationPl. 85
    Parapet walkPl. 86
    S. range, N. elevationPl. 87
    W. court, W. rangePl. 84
    OrangeryPl. 87
    Old Dining Room fireplacePl. 90
    Great Dining Room fireplacePl. 90
    PlasterworkPl. 92
    Drawing Room fireplacePls. 88, 89
    King's Room fireplacePls. 88, 89, 90
    PlasterworkPl. 92
    Duke's Room fireplacePls. 88, 89
    PlasterworkPl. 93
    Long Gallery fireplacePl. 88
    PanellingPl. 91
    Staircase in N. rangePl. 91
    Staircase in E. range, early 17th-century, installed in 1912Pl. 91
    DovecotePl. 128
    (8) Manor House. Front elevationPl. 98
    (10) School. PlanFig. 24, p. 14
    (13) Blue Field Lodge. Section through barnFig. 25, p. 15
    (14) Cheeseman's Lodge. PlanFig. 26, p. 16
2 ASHTON
    Village mapFig. 27, p. 16
    (1) Ashton Chapel. PlanFig. 28, p. 17
    Watercolour by George Clarke, c. 1830. By permission of Northamptonshire LibrariesPl. 73
    Exterior from N.W.Pl. 57
    Interior of E. wallPl. 57
    Timber mouldings of reredos, 1706Fig. 29, p. 17
    (2) Manor House. PlanFig. 5, p. lx
    (7) Oundle StationPl. 122
3 BLATHERWYCKE
    Village mapFig. 30, p. 19
    (1) Parish church of Holy Trinity. PlanFig. 31, p. 20
    Exterior from S.Pl. 4
    Nave looking N.W.Pl. 4
    Doorway in S. wall of navePl. 14
    Tower, E. wallFig. 32, p. 21
    W. face of window in E. wallPl. 5
    Belfrey opening on. E. facePl. 5
    Brass (2) of Sir Humphrey Stafford, 1548Pl. 63
    Monument (4) of John Stafford, died 1595Pl. 64
    (2) Blatherwycke Hall. S. frontPl. 106
    E. pavilionPl. 106
    Main staircasePl. 115
    (3) 1–2 Blatherwycke. Date-stone, 1834Pl. 124
    (7) School and Schoolhouse. Front elevationPl. 121
BULWICK
    Village mapFig. 33, p. 23
    (1) Parish church of St. Nicholas. PlanFig. 34, p. 24
    Exterior from S.Pl. 19
    Chancel, E. windowPl. 37
    N. arcade showing form of earlier archesFig. 35, p. 25
    N. arcade, pier (2)Pl. 13
    Tower from S.W.Pl. 20
    Monument (6) of Henry Fowkes, died 1612, and Jane his wife, 1609Pl. 64
    Piscina and sedilia, 14th-centuryPl. 40
    (2) Bulwick Hall. PlanFig. 36, p. 26
    From S.W.Pl. 104
    Gateway in loggia from E.Pl. 104
    Front door on S. elevationPl. 125
    Stair hall ceilingPl. 113
    (6) PlanFig. 37, p. 28
    (9) School and Schoolhouse. PlanFig. 38, p. 28
    (12) PlanFig. 39, p. 29
    (28) Brick Kiln Lodge. Front elevationPl. 117
COLLYWESTON
    Village mapFig. 40, p. 30
    (1) Parish church of St. Andrew. PlanFig. 41, p. 31
    Exterior of S. chapelPl. 50
    N. wall of chancelFig. 42, p. 32
    Mouldings: nave plinth, 11th-century; N. arcade, c. 1490Fig. 43, p. 32
    Tower from N.W.Pl. 50
    Brass of Elizabeth Ffollett, 1508Pl. 63
    Clock by Thomas Rayment, 1779Pl. 68
    (2) Site of Collyweston House. Sundial, 18th-centuryPl. 108
    Barn and dovecote, 16th-centuryPl. 123
    (3) PlanFig. 5, p. lx;
    Fig. 44, p. 34
    (4) PlanFig. 45, p. 34
    (7) Manor Farm. PlanFig. 5, p. lx;
    Fig. 46, p. 34
    (15) The Steward's House. Front elevationPl. 100
    (21) The Rectory. Plans and elevation of 1832 taken from the design by James Richardson of Stamford (NRO)Fig. 47, p. 35
    PlanFig. 5, p. lx
    (25) PlanFig. 48, p. 36
    (34) PlanFig. 49, p. 36
    (40) PlanFig. 50, p. 36
    (43) Bridge from N.Pl. 75
6 COTTERSTOCK
    Village mapFig. 51, p. 37
    (1) Parish church of St. Andrew. PlanFig. 52, p. 38
    Exterior from S.W.Pl. 36
    Chancel, exterior of S. wallPl. 36
    Mouldings c. 1338Fig. 53, p. 39
    E. windowPl. 37
    S. porchPl. 25
    Vault boss, the Trinity, 15th-centuryPl. 45
    Bracket (2), medievalPl. 45
    Brass of Robert Wyntryngham, died 1420Pl. 43
    Coffin lid (4), 14th-centuryPl. 7
    Monument (2) of John Simcoe, died 1759Pl. 70
    Piscina and sedilia, 14th-centuryPl. 40
    (2) Cotterstock Hall. Plan and reconstruction of S. elevationFig. 54, p. 41
    S. frontPl. 102
    W. elevationPl. 102
    FireplacesPl. 103
    StaircaseFig. 55, p. 42
    (11) Old Vicarage. Plan from designs for alterations in 1831 by James Richardson of Stamford (NRO)Fig. 56, p. 43
    Front elevationPl. 117
    Date-stone, 1651Pl. 124
    (12) Manor House. Front elevationPl. 105
    (13) Cotterstock House. ExteriorPl. 118
    (15) Church Farm. Dovecote. Detail of nesting boxesFig. 7, p. lxviii
7 DUDDINGTON
    Village mapFig. 57, p. 44
    (1) Parish church of St. Mary. PlanFig. 58, p. 45
    Exterior from S.W.Pl. 8
    N. arcadePl. 9
    Pier (2)Pl. 13
    S. arcadePl. 9
    Pier (1)Pl. 13
    N. aisle, E. windowPl. 27
    Doorway in S. aislePl. 15
    Reconstruction of S. doorway with details of mouldingsFig. 59, p. 46
    Altar rails, 17th-centuryPl. 67
    Banner stave locker, 14th-centuryPl. 40
    S. doorPl. 34
    Font, 13th-centuryPl. 38
    (6) Church Farm. ExteriorPl. 99
    Dovecote. PlanFig. 7, p. lxviii
    (8) PlanFig. 60, p. 47
    (11) Stocks Hill House. Plan and section of former open hallFig. 61, p. 48
    S. gablePl. 94
    E. elevationPl. 95
    Frieze on first floorPl. 126
    (13) Beaumont. Front elevationPl. 118
    (16) Former Schoolhouse and Schoolroom. ExteriorPl. 121
    (29) PlanFig. 62, p. 49
    (30) PlanFig. 63, p. 49
    Fireplace, early 18th-centuryPl. 127
    (32) PlanFig. 64, p. 49
8 EASTON-ON-THE-HILL
    Village mapFig. 65, p. 50
    Church Street looking N.Pl. 74
    (1) Parish church of All Saints. PlanFig. 66, p. 52
    Exterior from S.E.Pl. 19
    S. chapel looking S.E.Pl. 34
    Nave, E. end of S. wall, showing position of 12th-century window and later arcadeFig. 67, p. 53
    Doorway in S. aislePl. 15
    Mouldings, 13th-centuryFig. 68, p. 54
    Bell (3), 1749Pl. 66
    Brass indent (2) to Sir Richard de Lindon, died c. 1255Pl. 34
    Brass indent (3), late 14th-centuryPl. 43
    Coffin lid (2), 12th-centuryPl. 7
    Font, mid 15th-centuryPl. 39
    Floor slab (5), late 13th or early 14th-centuryFig. 69, p. 55
    (8, 9) PlanFig. 70, p. 56
    (12) No. 19 Church Street. ExteriorPl. 117
    (13) Manor House. PlanFig. 71, p. 56
    W. wing, S. elevationPl. 98
    Main staircasePl. 114
    (14) No. 11 Church Street, reset date-stone, 1677Pl. 124
    (15) No. 9 Church Street. PlanFig. 72, p. 57
    (21) No. 28 Church Street. PlanFig. 73. p. 57
    (29) PlanFig. 74, p. 57
    (32) Park House. PlanFig. 75, p. 58
    (34) No. 27 Church Street. PlanFig. 5, p. lx
    (35) Barn. ExteriorPl. 123
    (43) No. 30 Church Street. PlanFig. 5, p. lx;
    Fig. 76, p. 58
    (44) No. 32 Church Street. PlanFig. 5, p. lx;
    Fig. 77, p. 58
    (51) Nos. 60, 62, 64 Church Street. PlanFig. 78, p. 59
    (57) Former Rectory. PlanFig. 79, p. 59
    Front elevationPl. 105
    StaircasePl. 114
    (58) The Priest's House. PlanFig. 80, p. 59
    From N.W.Pl. 78
    (63) Nos. 31, 33 West Street. PlanFig. 5, p. lx
    (72) Former Girls' School. Layout planFig. 81, p. 60
    From NWPl. 121
    (85) Game Keeper's House. PlanFig. 82, p. 61
    Exterior Pl. 119
9 FINESHADE
    (1) Fineshade Abbey. Reconstruction of planFig. 83, p. 62
    E. elevationPl. 107
    SaloonPl. 107
    (2) Top Lodge. PlanFig. 84, p. 62
10 FOTHERINGHAY
    Village mapFig. 85, p. 63
    (1) Former College of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary and All Saints. Plan of standing and excavated remainsFig. 86, p. 65
    Exterior from N.E.Pl. 48
    Exterior from S.W.Pl. 46
    Exterior from S. showing site of collegePl. 48
    E. wall showing outline of nave of earlier church and subsequent development and modification during the 15th and 16th centuriesFig. 87, p. 67
    Mouldings of S. aisle, c. 1414Fig. 88, p. 68
    Mouldings of nave, aisles and tower, c. 1434Fig. 89, p. 70
    Nave looking E.Pl. 47
    Detail of W. wallPl. 49
    Detail of N. aislePl. 49
    S. aisle windowsPl. 49
    Tower vaultPl. 51
    Detail of springing at N.W. corner, 1539Pl. 51
    Monument (2) of Edward, second Duke of York, died 1415Pl. 52
    Pulpit, 15th-centuryPl. 53
    (2) The New Inn. Plan and section through former open hallFig. 90, p. 72
    From S.Pl. 79
    GatewayPl. 79
    FireplacePl. 127
    (3) The Old Inn. PlanFig. 91, p. 73
    Front elevationPl. 78
    Timber doorwayPl. 83
    (9) Nos. 26, 27. PlanFig. 92, p. 73
    Front elevationPl. 117
    (11) No. 33. Reconstruction of original plansFig. 93, p. 74
    (20) Fotheringhay Park Lodge. Plan of farm buildingsFig. 6, p. lxvi
    (22) Bridge from S.E. by George Portwood, 1722Pl. 75
11 GLAPTHORN
    Village mapFig. 94, p. 75
    (1) Parish church of St. Leonard. PlanFig. 95, p. 76
    Exterior from S.Pl. 22
    Chancel from S.Pl. 24
    E. windowPl. 37
    N. arcadePl. 23
    S. arcadePl. 23
    W. wall of nave, openings in W. facePl. 5
    Section through W. tower showing position of earlier bell-cote on W. wall of nave. Perspective reconstruction and sections through openingsFig. 96, p. 77
    Label stop, 14th-centuryPl. 45
    Pillar piscina (3)Pl. 41
    (8) Manor Farm. PlanFig. 97, p. 78
    (11) South Farm House. PlanFig. 5, p. lx;
    Fig. 98, p. 79
    Front elevationPl. 101
12 HARRINGWORTH
    Village mapFig. 99, p. 80
    (1) Parish church of St. John the Baptist. PlanFig. 100, p. 81
    Copy of 18th-century seating planFig. 15, p. xcix
    Copy of undated drawing of interior, perhaps early 19th-centuryFig. 16, p. c
    Exterior from S.E.Pl. 33
    Chancel. N.E. buttressPl. 35
    Nave looking N.E.Pl. 33
    N. and S. arcades, detailsFig. 101, p. 82
    S. aisle, W. buttressPl. 35
    Tower arch. N. and S. respondsPl. 13
    Font, 13th-centuryPl. 38
    Monument (3) of Charles Tryon, died 1705Pl. 70
    Monument (4) of Tryon family, 1711Pl. 70
    Tryon vault, early 18th-centuryPl. 69
    Details of iron-workPl. 69
    RoodscreenPl. 53
    (2) Plan and section to show former chancel archFig. 102, p. 84
    (3) Manor Cottages. PlanFig. 103, p. 84
    Front elevationPl. 94
    (5) PlanFig. 104, p. 85
    Front elevationPl. 101
    (15) The Old Vicarage. Reconstruction of plan in 1834Fig. 105, p. 85
    (16) The Manor House. PlanFig. 106, p. 86
    Front elevationPl. 96
    (20) Chimney topPl. 83
    (22) Lime Farm. PlanFig. 107, p. 86
    Front elevationPl. 99
    (29) PlanFig. 108, p. 87
    (32) Harringworth Lodge. Plan, sections and detailsFig. 109, p. 88
    WindowPl. 83
    (33) Market Cross, 14th-centuryPl. 74
13 HEMINGTON
    (1) Parish church of St. Peter and St. Paul. PlanFig. 110, p. 89
    Watercolour by George Clarke, c. 1830 (by permission of Northamptonshire Libraries)Pl. 73
    Mouldings, 1666Fig. 111, p. 90
    RoofPl. 59
    Stalls formerly at FotheringhayPl. 53
    MisericordsPl. 55
    (2) Beaulieu Hall. Plan of surviving remainsFig. 112, p. 90
    From N.W.Pl. 94
    (3) PlanFig. 113, p. 91
14 KING'S CLIFFE
    Village mapFig. 114, p. 91
    (1) Parish Church of All Saints. PlanFig. 115, p. 93
    Exterior from S.Pl. 8
    Nave interior looking E.Pl. 2
    Tower. Plan at upper levelFig. 116, p. 94
    Belfry opening on S. facePl. 5
    Bell (5), 1592Pl. 66
    Brass (1) of Richard Wildbore, died 1688Pl. 68
    Brass (2) of Samuel Wyman, died 1700Pl. 68
    Brass indent on S. porchFig. 117, p. 94
    Monument (6) of the Thorpe family, 1623Pl. 65
    Monuments (17, 18) of Thomas Law, died 1739 and Martha Law, died 1725Pl. 72
    Pew end formerly at FotheringhayPl. 53
    (2) Congregational Church. PlanFig. 118, p. 96
    (3) Methodist Chapel. PlanFig. 119, p. 96
    (7) Law's Chapel. ElevationFig. 120, p. 96
    (8) No. 13 Bridge Street. PlanFig. 121, p. 97
    Front elevationPl. 100
    (11) Elizabeth Hutcheson and William Law's Charities. Layout planFig. 122, p. 97
    Elizabeth Hutcheson's School and Schoolhouse. PlanFig. 123, p. 97
    Front elevationPl. 120
    StaircasePl. 114
    SchoolroomPl. 120
    William Law's Almshouse. PlanFig. 124, p. 97
    William Law's School and Schoolhouse. PlanFig. 125, p. 98
    Front elevationPl. 120
    (16) Hall Farm. Plan and detail of roof trusses of former open hallFig. 126, p. 98
    Ceiling in Music RoomPl. 113
    Fireplace on ground floor of N. rangePl. 103
    (18) MillPl. 123
    Former Mill House. PlanFig. 127, p. 99
    Front elevationPl. 116
    (22) No. 23 Park Street. Date-stone, 1710Pl. 124
    (23) Thorpe Almshouses. PlanFig. 128, p. 100
    Front elevationPl. 120
    WindowPl. 124
    (30) No. 2 Park Street. PlanFig. 129, p. 100
    (38) Nos. 20, 22 Park Street. Front elevationPl. 122
    (41) No. 60 Park Street. Front elevationPl. 100
    (42) No. 62 Park Street. PlanFig. 130, p. 101
    Front elevationPl. 100
    (43) Nos. 64, 66 Park Street. Front elevationPl. 100
    Doorcase of No. 64Pl. 125
    (45) Wellington House. PlanFig. 131, p. 101
    DoorwayPl. 125
    (48) Nos. 8–12 West Street. PlanFig. 132, p. 102
    Front elevationPl. 97
    First-floor windowPl. 124
    (51) No. 22 West Street. PlanFig. 133, p. 103
    (53) No. 28 West Street. Front elevationPl. 118
    (61) No. 58 West Street. PlanFig. 5, p. lx
    (74) Nos. 11 and 13 West Street. PlanFig. 134, p. 104
    (77) No. 19 West Street. PlanFig. 135, p. 104
    (83) No. 41 West Street. PlanFig. 136, p. 105
    Front elevationPl. 122
    (84) The Manor House. PlanFig. 137, p. 105
    DovecotePl. 128
    (87) No. 63 West Street. PlanFig. 138, p. 106
    Front elevationPl. 99
    Painted inscriptionPl. 126
    (90) Boundary Cross. ElevationFig. 139, p. 106
15 LAXTON
    Village mapFig. 140, p. 107
    (1) Parish church of All Saints. PlanFig. 141, p. 108
    S. doorway. E. respond capitalFig. 142, p. 108
    Tower from S.W.Pl. 20
    (2) Laxton Hall. Over-all planFig. 143, p. 109
    Ground floor planFig. 144, p. 111
    Reconstruction of original planFig. 145, p. 112
    Plan of 1806 by H. Repton (NRO)Fig. 146, p. 112
    ExteriorPl. 109
    Entrance hall by George DancePl. 110
    LanternPl. 115
    Music Room. Fireplace and cornicePl. 111
    Library fireplacePl. 111
    W. staircasePl. 115
    Stables. PlanFig. 147, p. 112
    N. elevationFig. 148, p. 113
    ExteriorPl. 108
    Lodges. Reconstruction of original planFig. 150, p. 114
    ElevationFig. 149, p. 113
    (3) Woodland Cottage. PlanFig. 151, p. 114
    ExteriorPl. 119
    (9) The Stafford Knot. Plan showing room use in 1964Fig. 152, p. 114
    ExteriorPl. 119
    (14) Former School. PlanFig. 153, p. 115
    ExteriorPl. 121
    (15) Former Vicarage. PlanFig. 154, p. 115
    ExteriorPl. 119
16 LUTTON
    Village mapFig. 155, p. 116
    (1) Parish church of St. Peter. PlanFig. 156, p. 117
    Exterior from S.Pl. 22
    S. arcade. Head corbelsPl. 29
    Easter SepulchrePl. 40
    Monument (1) of Robert Apreece, died 1622, installed 1633Pl. 64
    Monument (2) of Adlard Apreece, died 1608Pl. 64
    Font, early 14th-centuryPl. 39
    Piscina, 13th-centuryPl. 41
    (2) Manor House. PlanFig. 157, p. 118
    ExteriorPl. 101
    (6) Brook Farm House. PlanFig. 158, p. 119
    Plans to show developmentFig. 159, p. 119
    Painted postPl. 126
17 NASSINGTON
    Village mapFig. 160, p. 120
    (1) Parish church of St. Mary the Virgin and All Saints. PlanFig. 161, p. 121
    Nave interior looking W.Pl. 2
    N. aisle. ExteriorPl. 21
    E. windowPl. 26
    WindowsPls. 26, 27
    DoorwayPl. 15
    N. arcade, looking N.E.Pl. 21
    HeadstopPl. 29
    S. arcade. HeadstopPl. 29
    S. porchPl. 25
    Tower from N.W.Pl. 1
    Upper door in E. facePl. 5
    Bell (4), 1642Pl. 66
    Coffin lid (1), 13th-centuryPl. 7
    Saxon cross-shaftPl. 6
    Font, 13th-centuryPl. 39
    Wall paintingsPl. 42
    (2) Former Congregational Chapel. PlanFig. 162, p. 123
    (3) Prebendal Manor House. Ground and first-floor plansFig. 163, p. 124
    ExteriorPl. 76
    W. doorwayPl. 77
    Dovecote. PlanFig. 7, p. lxviii
    ExteriorPl. 128
    (4) The Manor House. Plan and longitudinal sectionFig. 164, p. 126
    ExteriorPl. 77
    Detail of gablePl. 77
    (14) No. 45 Church Street. ExteriorPl. 116
    (18) No. 35 Church Street. PlanFig. 165, p. 127
    ExteriorPl. 116
    (23) Black Horse Inn. PlanFig. 166, p. 123
    (36) Greystones. PlanFig. 167, p. 128
    (39) No. 39 Church Street. PlanFig. 168, p. 129
    (56) Old Sulehay Lodge. Plan and detailsFig. 169, p. 130
    From S.Pl. 123
18 POLEBROOK
    Village mapFig. 170, p. 131
    (1) Parish church of All Saints. PlanFig. 171, p. 132
    Exterior from S.Pl. 16
    Reconstruction of a section through the nave in the 13th centuryFig. 172, p. 133
    Chancel. E. windowPl. 37
    Doorway in S. wallPl. 14
    N. transept from S.E.Pl. 16
    N. arcadePl. 17
    Carved capitalsPl. 28
    S. arcadePl. 17
    Carved capitalsPl. 28
    N. porchPl. 25
    Chancel roofPl. 58
    Nave roofPl. 59
    Font, 13th-centuryPl. 39
    Hour-glass stand, 17th-centuryPl. 68
    Monument (1) of Captain John Orme, died 1768Pl. 70
    Piscina (1), early 13th-centuryPl. 41
    Bench end, late 13th or 14th-centuryFig. 173, p. 134
    (6) Old Duke's Head Cottage. ExteriorPl. 95
    (15) Greystone House. PlanFig. 174, p. 135
    (25) The Gables. PlanFig. 175, p. 136
    ExteriorPl. 97
    (27) Polebrook Hall. PlanFig. 176, p. 136
    ExteriorPl. 98
    (29) The Manor House. PlanFig. 177, p. 137
19 SOUTHWICK
    Village mapFig. 178, p. 137
    (1) Parish church of St. Mary. PlanFig. 179, p. 138
    Watercolour by George Clarke, c. 1830 (by permission of Northamptonshire Libraries)Pl. 73
    Tower from S.W.Pl. 20
    Arch mouldings, mid 14th-centuryFig. 180, p. 139
    Corbels to vaultPl. 44
    Monument (1) of George Lynn, died 1758Pl. 71
    Floor slab (8) of George Lynn, 1758Pl. 72
    (2) Southwick Hall. PlanFig. 181, p. 141
    ExteriorPl. 80
    S. range from N.W.Pl. 81
    UndercroftPl. 81
    CorbelsPl. 44
    Chimney top, 14th-centuryPl. 83
    FireplacesPl. 112
    Gothic Room. DetailsPl. 82
    Old Kitchen. Roof TrussFig. 182, p. 143
    (9) Cross Way Hand Lodge. PlanFig. 183, p. 144
    (13) King's Cliffe Spa. Plan and sectionFig. 184, p. 144
20 TANSOR
    Village mapFig. 185, p. 145
    (1) Parish church of St. Mary the Virgin. PlanFig. 186, p. 146
    Development plansFig. 187, p. 147
    Exterior from S.W.Pl. 18
    Chancel, W. endPl. 12
    NavePl. 12
    N. aisle. DoorwayPl. 14
    Tower. Reconstruction in the mid 12th centuryFig. 188, p. 148
    E. facePl. 3
    Font, 13th and early 14th-centuryPl. 38
    Stalls, formerly at Fotheringhay, 15th-centuryPl. 54
    (3) The Manor House. Plan and elevation of roof trussFig. 189, p. 149
    Exterior from S.W.Pl. 98
    (8) The White Horse, former public house. Sketch plan to show room-use in 1886Fig. 190, p. 150
    (15) Jasmine Cottage. Plan to show former arrangementFig. 5, p. lx;
    Fig. 191, p. 150
    (19) Tansor Wold. PlanFig. 192, p. 150
21 WAKERLEY
    Village mapFig. 193, p. 151
    (1) Parish church of St. John the Baptist. PlanFig. 194, p. 152
    Exterior from N.E.Pl. 10
    Interior looking E.Pl. 10
    Chancel arch. Carved capitalsPl. 11
    Nave. Reconstruction of 12th-century section with surviving E. wallFig. 195, p. 153
    Font, 13th-centuryPl. 38
    (3) Wakerley House Farm. PlanFig. 196, p. 154
    ExteriorPl. 118
    (5) No. 28. PlanFig. 5, p. lx;
    Fig. 197, p. 154
    (7) Former Rectory. Kitchen fireplacePl. 127
    (9) Exeter Arms. Plan to show former arrangementFig. 198, p. 155
    ExteriorPl. 122
    (10) No. 5. PlanFig. 199, p. 155
    (17) Bridge from E.Pl. 75
22 WARMINGTON
    Village mapFig. 200, p. 156
    (1) Parish church of St. Mary the Virgin. PlanFig. 201, p. 158
    Exterior from S.E.Pl. 30
    Section through the nave showing the E. face of the tower. From a survey by William Caveler in 1847Fig. 202, p. 159
    Nave looking N.E.Pl. 30
    N. aisle. Exterior from W.Pl. 35
    S. aisle windowsPl. 26
    S. porchPl. 34
    Nave roofPl. 31
    N. aisle roof bossesPl. 66
    Bracket (1), 15th-centuryPl. 45
    Monument (3) tomb chest, late 15th-centuryPl. 52
    Monument (4) of Sir Thomas Elmes, died 1664Pl. 65
    Tomb recess (1) with reset coffin lidPl. 34
    Piscina (1), 13th-centuryPl. 41
    Benches, 16th-centuryPl. 66
    (3) The Malt House. PlanFig. 203, p. 161
    (17) Glebe House. PlanFig. 204, p. 162
    ExteriorPl. 95
    (18) Former Hautboy and Fiddle. PlanFig. 205, p. 162
    Window, 1648Pl. 124
    (22) No. 39 Chapel Street. PlanFig. 5, p. lx
    (26) The Manor House. Ground-floor planFig. 206, p. 163
    Reconstruction of first-floor planFig. 207, p. 163
    ExteriorPl. 96
    DoorwayPl. 125
    Ground-floor windowPl. 124
    FireplacesPl. 103
    StaircasePl. 114
    (27) No. 27. PlanFig. 5, p. lx; Fig. 208, p. 163
    (30) Eaglethorpe House. PlanFig. 209, p. 164
    (32) Eaglethorpe Farm. PlanFig. 210, p. 164
    ExteriorPl. 101
    Dovecote. Plan and reconstruction of nesting boxesFig. 7, p. lxviii
    ExteriorPl. 128
    (36) Papley Cottages. PlanFig. 211, p. 164
23 WOODNEWTON
    Village mapFig. 212, p. 165
    (1) Parish church of St. Mary. PlanFig. 213, p. 167
    Exterior from S.E.Pl. 18
    Chancel. Exterior of S. wallPl. 24
    Doorway in S. wallPl. 14
    Nave and transept arch from the chancelPl. 3
    S. arcade, E. respondPl. 13
    S. aisle. WindowsPl. 27
    DoorwayPl. 15
    S. porchPl. 25
    Coffin lid, 13th-centuryPl. 7
    Piscinae, 13th-centuryPl. 41
    (2) Methodist Chapel. PlanFig. 214, p. 168
    (11) Manor House. Plan and elevationFig. 215, p. 169
    ExteriorPl. 108
    (12) Knight's Cottage. PlanFig. 216, p. 169
    (28) Dovecote. PlanFig. 7, p. lxviii
    (41) Meadow View. PlanFig. 5, p. lx;
    Fig. 217, p. 171
24 YARWELL
    Village mapFig. 218, p. 172
    (1) Parish church of St. Mary Magdalene. PlanFig. 219, p. 173
    Copy of plan before restoration of 1782Fig. 220, p. 173
    Copy of seating plan of 1782Fig. 14, p. xcviii
    Exterior from N.Pl. 32
    Chancel. Interior looking S.E.Pl. 32
    (2) Methodist Chapel. PlanFig. 221, p. 173
    (11) Sundial Cottage. Plan and reconstruction of S. elevationFig. 222, p. 174
    (13) Manor Farm. PlanFig. 223, p. 175
    Plan of farm buildingsFig. 6, p. lxvi
    FireplacePl. 127
    (23) Ballaugh Cottage. Beam, 1591Pl. 126

ROYAL COMMISSION ON THE HISTORICAL MONUMENTS OF ENGLAND

County of Northampton, Volume VI

ISBN 0 11 700996 2 (Red Binding)

ISBN 0 11 701176 2 (Grey Binding)

CORRECTION

    Page xiiicolumn 2POLEBROOK (6) Old Duke's Head Cottage, dated 1595, not 1598.
    Page xxvNASSINGTON (23) Black Horse Inn. Plan. Fig. 166, p. 123, not 128.
    Page 106(90) Boundary Cross line 3: measuring 400 mm. not 40 mm. across the head.
    Page 113lower figure:Fig. 149 Laxton (2) Laxton Hall Lodges. Elevation as built.
    Page 131Fig. 170 TANSOR Village Map, not POLEBROOK Village Map.
    Page 145Fig. 185 POLEBROOK Village Map, not TANSOR Village Map.
    Plate 42topNASSINGTON CHURCH
    (4) Wheel of Fortune(?) and (5) St. Michael weighing souls; late 14th-century.
    bottom(2) St. Martin dividing his cloak; early 15th-century.
    Plate 120bottom right:KING'S CLIFFE (23). Thorpe Almshouses, 1668.

London: Her Majesty's Stationery Office

May 1985

Annotations

771 Bianca93 - (Thursday 08 Aug 2013 13:55:54)
Black Horse Inn plan. Fig. 166 on p128 not p123
Errata slip to this volume


<--Previous:
Report
Next:-->
Abbreviations