Duddington, a parish of 574 hectares on the S.E. of
the R. Welland, was within Rockingham Forest.
The village stands on a low terrace above the
Welland, and the main street, with a back lane to
the E., runs parallel to the river. To the N., near
the present centre of the village, is a small green
called Stocks Hill. This green was originally larger,
extending S. as far as the Manor House (28) and
W. to the church. In the 18th century a broad path
led W. from the Green to a ford which may have
been the river crossing from early times. The
medieval bridge (33) is further downstream and,
together with the settlement along Mill Street, may
Until c. 1840 Duddington was a chapelry of
Gretton, a village eight miles to the S.W., but it is
now an independent parish. The manor was
generally held by non-residents until 1843 when it
was bought by the Jackson family, descendants of
Nicholas Jackson, a baker of Stamford, who built
up an important holding in Duddington in the 17th
century. (See Manor House (28)). The Enclosure
Map of 1775 shows that the Jackson property at
that date consisted of farm-houses on fairly large
plots whereas most of the cottages in the village
were in other hands, indicating a deliberate policy
of management by the Jackson family.
Fig. 57 Duddington Village Map
The Hearth Tax returns give a population of 83
families in 1673 although Bridges says there were
only 50 in 1719; by 1801 there were 70 families.
For a small parish this is a relatively high
population and in 1673 as many as half of the
householders were exempted from the Hearth Tax
on the grounds of poverty. However, the variety
in the sizes of the houses, and consequently the
social structure, appear to be comparable with
Slate workings in the Lower Lincolnshire
Limestone extended into the parish, but were never
of much importance.
(1) Parish Church of St. Mary (Fig. 58; Plate 8) stands
at the N.W. side of the village on ground which falls
steeply on the S.W. to the R. Welland. The churchyard
wall comes close to the W. of the church which consists
of a Chancel, South East Tower, Nave with North and
South Aisles, and South Porch. The vestry is modern. The
walls are of coursed limestone rubble with freestone
dressings; the spire and buttresses are in freestone and the
S. walls of the clearstorey and S. aisle are plastered. The
roofs of the chancel, N. aisle and porch are steeply-pitched and stone-slated, and those of the nave and S.
aisle are flat-pitched.
The earliest surviving part of the church dates from
the mid 12th century; this consists of the two E. bays of
the present N. nave arcade indicating a nave of the same
width as at present but shorter. Very late in the 12th
century the S. wall of this nave was rebuilt with an
arcade, but it is not known if this was a replacement. In
about 1200 or very early in the 13th century the church
was considerably enlarged: the chancel was lengthened
and probably widened, the nave extended westward by
one bay and a tower built on the S. side of the chancel.
The abnormal position of the tower may be explained by
the fact that the falling ground on the W. side of the
church would have prevented a tower being added
beyond the extended nave. Shortly afterwards the whole
of the N. aisle appears to have been rebuilt and
lengthened to the W. to conform with the extended nave
of which the N.W. corner stones survive. At the same
time the upper part of the tower and the spire were built.
Probably in the 14th century the S. aisle was widened as
indicated by a straight joint in the W. wall and by the
position of the W. arch of the tower which is set as far
N. as possible, presumably to conform with a former
narrower aisle. The chancel arch, S. porch and
clearstorey are also 14th-century. In the 15th century the
N. wall of the N. aisle was rebuilt.
The tower was strengthened in 1806 by tie rods
bearing that date, but the chief restoration started in 1844
when the side walls of the chancel were rebuilt using
windows of 13th-century design; Byran Browning,
received £49.4.8. as architect in 1848–9 (BEO, Exeter
Day Books, Ledger 4).
The church is notable for its 12th and 13th-century
architecture, and for the abnormal siting of the tower.
The lowest stage of the tower appears to have been used
as a chapel at least in its first period as there is a recess,
probably a piscina, in the S. wall. The chancel has a mid
19th-century roof of some elaboration.
Architectural Description – The Chancel has at its E.
end shallow buttresses at the angles and a dwarf buttress;
in the centre above which is a chamfered string-course;
the N.E. buttress clasps the angle. These features and
some lower courses of the side walls are all that remain
of the early 13th-century chancel; the rest belong to the
rebuilding of 1844. The chancel arch has part-octagonal
responds, coved capitals and an arch of two chamfered
orders; it is 14th-century and probably replaced a
The South Tower, in three main stages with two-stage
pilaster buttresses against the lower two, has a stone
octagonal broach spire. The plinth has a roll moulding,
and the S.E. buttress has been rebuilt with greater
projection than the original. The lowest stage has a
simple round-headed doorway on the S. and a
round-headed window above. Both have hood-moulds
terminating with mask stops; on the E. is a small
window with deeply splayed internal jambs and a round
head cut from a single stone. These features suggest a
date of c. 1200. The second stage, added in the early 13th
century, sets back from the lower and has a pointed
lancet on the S. In each face of the belfry stage is a
round-headed opening within which are two pointed
lights separated by a shaft. The E. and S. openings have
roll-moulded arrises, the others are plain. The base of the
spire is supported by corbels carved as mask stops. The
spire, with internal squinch arches, has two tiers of
lucarnes each of two lights. Inside, the N. tower arch has
triple-lobed responds, water-holding bases and coved
capitals, one with nail-head enrichment. The W. tower
arch, narrower than the foregoing, has a tall quarter-round cone-shaped corbel set against the straight N.
jamb of the opening. The corbel has a capital enriched
with nail-head decoration and a fleur-de-lis in the cove;
the triple-lobed S. respond has a water-holding base and
nail-head decoration on the coved capital.
Fig. 58 Duddington Church
The Nave has arcades of three bays. The two E. arches
on the N. are mid 12th-century and the second pier
incorporates a double respond which marks the later W.
extension (Plates 9, 13). The first pier is a bold drum
with moulded base, and square scalloped capital; each of
the two segmental arches have a bold half-round inner
order and an outer order enriched on the nave side with
a lattice decoration of zig-zags, but plain on the aisle
side. The half-round responds of this early section have
scalloped capitals; nook shafts, on the nave side, have
cushion capitals enriched with rows of pellets. The W.
arch has half-round responds with water-holding bases,
moulded and coved capitals, which support a
semicircular arch of two chamfered orders. The S. arcade
(Plate 9) is of taller proportions than the N. The first
two bays date from the very end of the 12th century and
have a round pier and E. respond with water-holding
bases, capitals carved with water-leaf decoration and
round abaci (Plate 13). The arcade has semicircular arches
of two chamfered orders throughout. The second pier,
replacing an earlier respond, and the new W. respond are
of c. 1200; the capitals are coved and plainer than those
to the E. The W. window is a lancet with a slight hood
mould. Two large buttresses against the W. wall were
added in 1872 by Thomas Elliott of Duddington
(Faculty). The 14th-century clearstorey has on each side a
battlemented parapet and three unequally spaced square-headed windows each with two trefoil-headed lights and
a label. Those on the S. have headstops and rib
decoration in the spandrels.
The North Aisle has plain eaves. The early 13th-century
E. window (Plate 27), not axial with the aisle, has two
lights, a quatrefoil within a roundel in the head and an
almost triangular hood mould. Two square-headed
windows with three trefoil-headed lights are probably
late 15th-century and the N. doorway is probably of the
same date but much altered. Set in the W. wall of the
vestry is a lancet mostly modern but part of the head is
early. Behind the N.E. respond are remains of a
medieval rood-loft stair. The South Aisle has a plain
parapet with a moulded coping. Below the windows is a
rounded string-course which butts against the W. wall of
the tower. Two square-headed windows are probably
mid 14th-century; the first has four cusped ogee-headed
lights and the second, of three lights, has cusped trefoil
heads and a battlemented transom. The S. doorway
(Plate 15) is early 13th-century but has been reset,
presumably when the aisle was widened. The jambs and
arch have been cut back on the aisle side, and the central
voussoirs are crudely arranged suggesting a former
round-headed opening. The rounded jambs and the
flanking nook-shafts share moulded plinths and capitals
enriched with stiff and water-leaf decoration. The
moulded arch has a prominent keel-moulding and a hood
mould (Fig. 59).
Fig. 59 Duddington Church Reconstruction
of S. doorway with details of mouldings as existing
The South Porch, long and narrow, has plain eaves and
a gable parapet. A pair of cusped openings on the E. are
cut from a single stone. On the W. is a plain rectangular
slit. The mid 14th-century archway has part-octagonal
jambs, moulded capitals and an arch of two chamfered
orders. Along the side walls are stone benches. The roof
has collars and clasped purlins and is perhaps 17th-century.
The Roof of the chancel, designed by Bryan Browning,
was paid for in 1849 (BEO, Exeter Day Books, Ledger
4). It is steeply pitched and has arch braces and collars
decorated with ball-flower ornament. The low-pitched
nave roof is much restored, the E. tie beam being dated
1872. The N. aisle roof, of simple rafter construction, is
Fittings – Bell: inscribed 'nomenn omn' attributed to
Newcombe's foundry at Leicester, early 17th-century
(North). Brasses: in chancel – (1), set in floor-slab (2),
plate to Frances, wife of Thomas Jackson, 1685; (2), plate
to Thomas Jackson, 1694; (3), plate set in slate slab with
incised border, to Thomas Jackson, 1800. Communion
Rails: oak, with turned balusters ranged between four
turned posts with pomegranate finials (Plate 67); mortices
show that the rails originally returned on three sides, late
17th-century. Cupboard: in S. wall of S. aisle, W. of
piscina, rectangular, medieval. Door: S. door of broad
oak panels with pegged rails, medieval; across the door
are four iron bands of fish-bone and branch shape, two
with remains of hinges, late 12th-century (Plate 34). Font:
octagonal bowl on squat stem composed of an octagonal
block with miniature columns at the angles, and a
footpace (Plate 38); 13th-century. Inscription: over S.
doorway, stone recording reseating in 1844. Locker: at
W. end of S. aisle, tall recess with ogee-headed doorway
(Plate 40); it is a banner stave locker of the 14th century.
Monuments and Floor slabs. Monuments: In chancel (1), of
Thomas Jackson, 1792, simple white marble tablet on
shaped black marble background with shield of Jackson
on apron, installed in 1836, signed 'Reeves, Ft. Bath';
(2), of Hugh Jackson, 1829, and wife Jane, 1818, white
marble panel with fluted side pieces and shield of Jackson
at top, signed 'H. Hopper, London'; (3), of William
Jackson. January 1667, limestone panel. In N. aisle – (4),
of Susannah Bromhead, 1839, white marble tablet with
pediment against black marble background, signed
'Hibbins, Ketton'. Floor slabs: in chancel – (1), of Thomas
Jackson, 1792; (2), of Francis Jackson, 1744, and Frances,
1740; (3), of William Jackson, 1718; (4), of S.J., 1739;
(5), of Elizabeth Jackson, 1781; (6), of Thomas Jackson,
1679; (7), of Sarah Weldon, 1812; (8), of Elizabeth
Jackson, 1821; (9), of Frances Jackson, 1691; (10), of
Hugh Jackson, 1829: (11), of William Reddale, 1783;
(12), of Nicholas Jackson, 1718, and wife Jane, 1711;
(13), of Thomas Jackson, 1730; (14), of Christopher
Jackson, 18th-century; (15), of Susannah Jackson, 1781
(?); and four illegible slabs. In N. aisle – (16), of Sophia
Muston, 182–; (17), of Elizabeth Burden, 1843; (18), of
Mary Beaver, 1800; (19), of George Hyles, 1838; (20), of
John Rudd, 1802, signed 'Sparrow, Stamfd'; (21), of
Charles Bradford, 183–, signed 'Wood . . .'.
Painting: on N. wall of N. aisle, some traces in red and
black, medieval. Piscinae: (1), in S. wall of tower, with
trefoil head, probably a piscina but with no drain, early
13th-century; (2), in S. wall of S. aisle, with ogee trefoil
head, cinquefoil sinking, 14th-century. Seating: mostly of
1844, but in the N. aisle and at the W. end of the nave
are some pews incorporating 17th-century panelling.
(2) The Mill House, of two storeys and attics, was
built not long after 1775 (Enclosure Map). It was
originally of class 2, and all rooms were heated. In the
mid 19th century bay windows were added to the front
and a wing built at the rear. A reset carved frieze of
17th-century character is above a fireplace in the rear
(3) Water Mill, now an office, originated as an L-shaped two-storey building of the 17th century with
two, three and four-light mullioned windows. A stone
panel inscribed '1793 TS' for Thomas Soden, perhaps
indicates a heightening of the building. In the early 19th
century it was extended on the E., and by a W. range
with mansard roof, and a wheelhouse with hipped roof.
A panel reset in the wheelhouse is inscribed 'NI MI/TI
(4) Two-storey early 19th-century house, probably of
class 4a extended by one room on W. Further to the W.
is a mid 19th-century class 4c house.
(5) Two early 19th-century class 4a houses, the W. of
one storey and attics and the E. of two storeys. A rear
wing, with datestone inscribed 'RT IN 1827'. perhaps for
John Newton who owned the house in 1848 (BEO, map
17), is shared between them.
(6) Church Farm (Plate 99), consists of two separate
17th-century houses now linked by a 19th-century
addition, perhaps built by Bryan Browning in 1846
(BEO, Ledger 6). The S.W. block, of two storeys and
attics, has parapeted gables, and mullioned windows. It
is L-shaped and comprises a class 4a house and a small
compartment on the N. not entered from the main
room. The front, N.E. range, of one storey and attics,
also with parapeted gables and mullioned windows, dates
from later in the 17th century; inside 17th-century
panelling has been reset. Originally of class 3a it is now
entered from the rear through the 19th-century addition.
Behind the house is a two-cell Dovecote, with about
800 nesting boxes, of the 18th century (Fig. 7).
(7) Two storeys, crested ridge tiles, 17th-century
origin, two tenements in 19th century and now one
house. (Not entered)
(8) (Fig. 60) Originally built as two separate houses at
different dates in the 17th century, it was converted to a
parish workhouse after 1775 and remained in use until
the Poor Law Reform Act of 1834, after which it again
became two cottages (NRO, J(D) 644, 662). The N.
range is now class 1b. The masonry wall to W. of the
passage suggests that it may have originated as a single-room house of class 1c. There are two external doors,
that on the N. having a wooden frame and dog-tooth
ornament on the lintel. A first-floor fireplace has a four-centred head in a rectangular frame. The S. house has
three-light mullioned windows, parapeted gable, and a
plain 17th-century fireplace on the upper floor.
(9) Crownfield Cottage, one storey and attics,
originally class 1b, 17th-century. Mullioned windows.
(10) Barn with freestone quoins and vertical ventilation
slits, probably 1815, the date on the gable.
(11) Stocks Hill House (Fig. 61; Plates 94, 95) consists
of a single range with small additions on the E. and W.;
being built on sloping ground it is of two storeys and
attics on the S. and only one storey and attics on the N.
The development of the house is not clear but to judge
from the style of the windows it originated in the late
15th century as an open hall with a storeyed section to
the S. and probably service rooms to the N., occupying
exactly the area of the present house. In 1601 the house
was extensively altered, the date appearing on the S.
gable. The hall was divided into two by a central wall
and floored over, and an attic was inserted above the S.
room. In plan this appears to have given two very large
rooms on each floor, the division being in the middle of
the former hall. Deeds indicate that the house belonged
to Anthony Markham, who was styled gentleman, was
woodward to the Earl of Exeter, and is mentioned
between 1606 and 1616 (NRO, J(D) 37, 56, 122; S.G.
140); he may have been responsible for this remodelling.
In 1858 and 1973 considerable alterations were carried
out including the introduction of new windows in the N.
section; these were added on the E. side in 1858 and on
the W. in 1973.
The principal elevation is on the E. (Plate 95). In the
S. section are two two-light windows of the late 15th
century with cinquefoil heads and hood moulds. Later
features include a single-light upper window of 1601, a
tall chimney stack and hipped dormer, both probably
early 18th-century, and a four-centred doorway, perhaps
added in 1858. In the N. section are flush gabled
dormers, one dated 1858, ovolo-moulded mullioned
windows and a four-centred headed doorway, possibly
all mid 19th-century although some windows may be
renewals on original lines. The S. gable (Plate 94) has a
parapet, and upper and lower windows of the late 15th
century have two cinquefoil heads, moulded surrounds
and square hood moulds. The two-light gable window is
an introduction of 1601, the date inscribed on a panel
above it. The W. wall, formerly blind, has later
windows one of which is reset from a house in
Bringhurst and dated 1620.
The interior is on two levels, the division coming at
the 17th-century timber-framed partition dividing the
hall. To the S. are stop-chamfered beams of 1601 and a
fireplace which, to judge from the position of the
windows, represents an original feature of the late 15th
century. On the first floor are lengths of a plaster frieze
with scroll decoration of 1601 (Plate 126), suggesting one
large room in the S. part of the house. The N. section of
the house, with floors at a higher level, has stop-chamfered beams indicating a single ground-floor room;
the floor above is of plaster.
Fig. 60 Duddington (8)
A late 15th-century roof remains over the original hall
and parlour. The hall, roofed in two bays, has a central
open truss with tapered principals and braces to a
cambered collar; the butt-purlins are wind-braced. The
roof over the parlour is also of two bays but differs from
the hall roof in that there are no wind-braces and the end
trusses have clasped purlins. The N. part of the house
has an 18th-century roof.
Fig. 61 Duddington (11) Stocks Hill House
Plan and section of former open hall
(12) Corringham, two-storey class 2 house, 19th-century in present form but incorporating an earlier
house. Parapeted gable and some freestone quoins. Stair
with 18th-century turned balusters. Later 19th-century
shop addition at N. end.
(13) Beaumont (Plate 118), formerly Belmont, large
class 8 house on rising ground, approached by double
flight of steps with decorative iron balustrade, built in
1828 (Whellan). Two storeys, flush freestone dressings,
Welsh slated hipped roof with wide eaves. Part of an
earlier building with stone slate roof is incorporated at
the rear as a service wing. A tradesmen's entrance, by
way of a tunnel from the road, leads to this wing.
Fittings of 1828 survive.
(14) The Old Windmill, a two-storey house built as
the Windmill Inn in the early 19th century. Three-room
plan, the staircase rising between the two W. rooms
which have rear stacks; the E. room, with separate
entrance, was the kitchen. In 1837 it was owned by
Joseph Phillips of Stamford, brewer (BEO, Valuation).
(15) One storey and attics, class 6b, early 19th-century.
(16) Former Schoolhouse, Schoolroom and Post Office
(Plate 121). In 1667 William Jackson left £50 to build a
school and an endowment of £10 a year for a master to
teach twelve poor children. This was replaced in 1842 by
the present building, a two-storey house of two-room
plan and a girls' schoolroom; a nearby thatched cottage
was converted to a boys' school. A stone panel is
inscribed 'HJ 1842' for Hugh Jackson. In the N. wall of
the house is a stone slab with a blocked opening,
inscribed 'letter box'; a post office was established here in
1844 and Edward Wheelband was schoolmaster and
postmaster (Mercury, 28 June 1844; Kelly, 1847). In 1891–
2 a new school building designed by J. B. Corby of
Stamford was built by W. Goddard Jackson.
(17) Two storeys and attics, with parapeted gables,
class 6b front range of the 18th century; a two-storey
rear wing now of two rooms, is 17th-century. To the E.
is an early 19th-century two-room cottage now used as
(18) Pair of unequal two-storey houses, the N. of class
4c and the S. of class 4a, was built in the late 18th
century. Freestone quoins and lintels with separate
keystones to ground-floor openings. These houses,
mons. (19) and (20) and a now demolished 17th-century
house were all built on one sub-divided plot.
(19) Pair of two-storey early 19th-century class 4c
houses, now united.
(20) The Red House, two storeys and cellar, coursed
rubble with the W. front faced in brick, hipped stone-slated roof, is a square house of two-room plan and
urban appearance, built in the second quarter of the 19th
(21) Originally class 4a, early 17th-century. Altered in
the early 19th century to give a class 6b plan, and
heightened to two storeys and attics. Two-storey
bakehouse at rear.
(22) Two storeys and attics, front wall of pindle,
freestone dressings, class 7, early 19th-century.
(23) Braddan House, two storeys and attics.
Symmetrical three-bay front with rear wing; parapeted
gables. Mullioned windows of two and three lights.
Probably early 18th-century. (Not entered)
(24) Two storeys, class 4c with partition screening
entry, 18th-century. Later stable of one storey and attic
now incorporated in living accommodation. Thatched
(25) Rose Cottage, two storeys, class 6b with single-storey bay windows, and date-stone 'JB 1830' for Joseph
Bradshaw. Later parallel range behind.
(26) Two storeys, class 6b with rear wing, early 19th-century. (Not entered)
(27) Two mid 19th-century cottages; the W. one,
formerly with a shop on the E., incorporates part of a
17th-century house with a mullioned window. Welsh
slate roof. (Not entered)
(28) Manor House. In 1603 Nicholas Jackson, baker, of
Stamford began buying property in Duddington and by
1620 was living in the village. In 1632 he was styling
himself yeoman, and it is presumably he who built the
present house in the following year. By 1668 his son
William was calling himself gentleman, and by 1697 the
family were major landowners in the village but only
held the manor from 1798 to 1843. The house has
remained in their occupation (NRO, J(D), 14, 66, 98,
102, 123; VCH, Northants. II, 561).
The house originated as a modest two-storey building
possibly class 4a set at right-angles to the street. Later in
the 17th century it was extended to the W. by a similar-sized two-storey two-room range. In the 18th century
this range was increased to three storeys, and a kitchen
was added to the W. At about the same time a two-storey range projecting on the S. was added; in the late
19th century this was partly surrounded by a new
building which included a 'baronial' hall in the Gothick
style. A two-storey bay window in the same style was
added to the main front.. The doorway and two
fireplaces in the end walls of the original house have
four-centred heads within rectangular frames: above the
door is a slab inscribed 'NI 1633', presumably for
N. of the house is a long 18th-century Barn which was
given an upper floor with a medieval-style hall roof in
the late 19th century.
(29) Home Farm (Fig. 62), two storeys, originally class
4a, 17th-century, with a nearly contemporary addition of
one room at the back, a late 18th-century extension on
the E. and a 19th-century parlour on the N. Two and
four-light mullioned windows with hood moulds. To N.
are Farm Buildings including an 18th-century barn and a
square dovecote with pyramidal roof and wooden
alighting ledges, providing some 96 nesting boxes.
Fig. 62 Duddington (29)
(30) Dial House (Fig. 63). built c. 1726 by George
Wade, tanner (NRO, J(D), 190). Two storeys and attic,
class 4a with stair turret added later in the 18th century,
and a 19th-century kitchen. 18th-century sundial. Two
monolithic blocks 60 cm. high survive in the fireplace
recess in the S. room (Plate 127).
Fig. 63 Duddington (30)
(31) One storey and attics, class 4a, 17th-century.
(32) One storey and attics, formerly with mullioned
windows, thatched roof, 17th-century, possibly
originally class 4a, converted to class 5 in the early 19th
century (Fig. 64).
Fig. 64 Duddington (32)
(33) Duddington Bridge crosses the R. Welland at the
point where it is joined by the tailrace of the millstream.
It is of medieval origin but was repaired and widened on
the downstream side in 1919 (Jervoise). On the upstream
side are four pointed arches and two cutwaters. To the
S.W. it is approached by a causeway.