Fig. 155 Lutton Village Map
Lutton is a parish of 580 hectares, lying on Oxford
Clay which is here largely overlain by Boulder
Clay. The manor was owned by non-residents
except for the years between 1561 and 1657 when
the Loftus family owned it and built the manor
In 1673 there were 22 families, and 30 in 1801.
The small population of the village was given in
1447 as a reason for uniting the parish with
Washingley in Huntingdonshire, which seems to
have been even smaller, having only four or five
houses in 1719. Because of this union, Lutton
church contains a series of 17th-century
monuments to the Apreece family of Washingley
and a miscellaneous collection of 13th-century
features. In 1673 Lutton had only two houses with
more than two hearths, but the small proportion of
people exempted from Hearth Tax on account of
poverty reflects the situation elsewhere on these
claylands. Building materials include both brick
(1) The Parish Church of St. Peter (Fig. 156; Plate 22)
stands in the centre of its churchyard and consists of a
Chancel, Nave with Aisles, West Tower and South Porch.
The walls are of coursed rubble with freestone dressings,
and the roofs are flat-pitched. The chancel and nave have
an early 13th-century origin but only the N. arcade of
this date remains unaltered. At the end of the century or
early in the 14th century the church was considerably
rebuilt: the chancel arch, the S. arcade, the N. and S.
aisles and the S. porch can be assigned to this period. In
the 15th century the clearstorey and the W. tower were
added. It is possible that this work was consequent on
the uniting of the livings of Lutton and Washingley the
advowsons of which were both held by Richard, duke of
York. In 1447 he requested the unification whereby
Lutton church was to receive for its use materials from
the abandoned church at Washingley (Bridges II, 463,
quoting from register of William Alnwick). Various
carved stones of the Saxon and Norman periods are set
in the 14th-century walling, but it is not known to
which church they originally belonged.
The re-use in the mid 15th century of earlier materials
from an adjacent parish church gives an interesting
insight into the medieval attitude towards outmoded
Fig. 156 Lutton Church
Architectural Description – The Chancel has N.E. and
S.E. two-stage clasping buttresses of the 13th century,
probably rebuilt together with the E. wall; the 19th-century E. window has lancets. The N. wall has been
entirely rebuilt probably in the 19th century, but includes
a low-side window with pointed head and splayed
jambs, which may be 13th-century. The S. wall is
mostly early 13th-century. The first window, blocked in
the 17th century to receive monument (2), is medieval.
The second, an original lancet, has a keel-moulded rear
arch and attached shafts with caps enriched with nail-head. The third window is a clumsy amalgamation of
two two-light 13th-century windows, one with a
quatrefoil in the head, the other with a trefoil; the two E.
lights have rebated jambs. In the spandrel is a triangular
light with concave sides and cusping, and overall is a
label with mask stops. This window was probably
formed from materials originally at Washingley. Below it
is the lower part of a blocked low-side window. The
chancel arch of the 14th century has a wide arch of two
chamfered orders carried on roll-and-hollow moulded
imposts incorporating cone-shaped brackets.
The Nave has an early 13th-century N. arcade with
pointed arches of two chamfered orders, round piers,
water-holding bases, and capitals with octagonal abaci
and nail-head decoration. The early 14th-century S.
arcade has arches of two chamfered orders, quatrefoil
piers, circular moulded caps, roll-moulded bases, and
square responds with head corbels carrying the inner
order (Plate 29); labels on the N. have large head stops,
three being female with varying head-dresses and one a
grotesque male. The clearstorey is 15th-century, and is lit
by simple two-light windows with four-centred heads
which have pierced spandrels and casement mouldings.
The North Aisle is mostly 14th-century except for the
W. wall which is 13th-century and contains a lancet, the
off-centre position of which suggests a former narrower
aisle. The aisle has side and diagonal buttresses, and a
plain parapet. The E. window is rectangular and the
lights have ogee trefoiled heads. The first window in the
N. wall is 14th-century and set in a projecting area of
masonry having a weathered top, side pilasters and small
buttresses. The window has a segmental head, ogee-headed lights with trefoil sub-cusping, and pierced
spandrels. This unusual setting, beyond the main wall-face, may suggest that it is one of the reset features from
Washingley. The 15th-century N. doorway has a four-centred head and is continuously moulded, and the
second window is of the same date.
The South Aisle of the 14th century has plain parapets
and diagonal buttresses. The E. window has a square
head and trefoil-headed lights. The window in the S.
wall is formed from parts of two 13th-century windows;
former roundels in the head have been cut down to fit
the low aisle wall. These fragments may also have come
from Washingley. The S. doorway, with continuous
double-ogee moulded jambs and four-centred head, and a
simple W. window are 15th-century.
The West Tower of the 15th century is of three stages
with clasping buttresses of ashlar which are sub-divided
by chamfered strings. The parapet is battlemented and
has gargoyles at the angles. The tower-arch has a head of
two chamfered orders, the outer continuous, the inner
carried on half-round responds with moulded caps, bases
and semi-octagonal sub-bases. The W. doorway has a
four-centred head and continuously moulded jambs, and
above is a simple two-light window. In the second stage
are slit windows. The large belfry windows, of four
trefoil-headed lights, continuous mullions and transoms,
are of crude workmanship.
The South Porch has a gable parapet and plain eaves.
The archway has a head of two chamfered orders, the
inner carried on shafts, and a label with male and female
head-stops, perhaps reset.
The Roofs. The chancel roof has king posts and is
probably 19th-century. The nave roof has moulded,
cambered tie beams, ridge-piece and side purlins, in three
bays sub-divided by heavily moulded rafters having
bosses at the ridge and carved figures at the feet; the
figures hold a book, a chalice and host, crown of thorns,
a cross, a shield and a crown. This roof may be late
Fittings – Bells: four; 1st, 3rd and 4th with Latin
inscriptions and dated 1610, 1604 and 1619 respectively,
said to be from the Norris foundry at Stamford (VCH,
Northants. II, 586); 2nd inscribed with churchwardens'
names and 'Tobie Norris cast me 1682' (North).
Brass: in chancel on S. wall of John Loftus, 1657, small
rectangular plate with arms of Loftus. Communion rails:
oak, turned balusters, terminals in clusters of four, early
18th-century. Easter Sepulchre: in N. wall of chancel, is
composed of cinque-foiled panelling in a four-centred
head, with a central rectangular blocking occupying the
lower part of two panels; the 'chest' projects slightly
from the wall and has a weathered top and chamfered
plinth (Plate 40). It is perhaps 15th-century. Font:
standing in its original position against the W. pier of the
S. arcade with which it is contemporary, octagonal
bowl, ogee-moulded lower edge, bell-shaped neck and
quatrefoil stem with roll-moulded base and rectangular
plinth, following the mouldings of the S. arcade piers;
early 14th-century (Plate 39). Locker: in chancel,
rectangular with rebated jambs, medieval.
Monuments and Floor slabs. Monuments: in chancel – on
N. wall (1), elaborate composition installed in 1633 by
Hieronimus Apreece to commemorate Robert his father,
1622, and his grandfather and great grandfather; it
consists of three kneeling figures en face, in civilian
clothes, about life-size, in architectural surround
embellished with a shield of arms of Apreece with others
impaling Otter, Latimer, Wilford and two unidentified
and further shields with these arms separately, but these
may be later (Plate 64). Robert's wife was Johanna
Wilford, his father married Johanna Latimer, his
grandfather Elizabeth Otter and his great grandfather
Johanna Bray. On the S. wall (2), of Adlard Apreece,
1608, architectural composition with kneeling figure in
Greenwich armour, inscription tablet with rhyming verse
in Latin, five shields of arms of Apreece impaling a. a
garb, b. Otter, c. Wilford, d. Bray, e. Latimer (Plate 64).
Floor slabs: in chancel – (1), of Mary, daughter of Robert
Apreece, 1711, grey marble slab with arms of Apreece
quarterly; (2), of. Nicholas Pedly, February 1699, black
marble slab with arms of Pedly impaling Apreece; (3), of
Ann Apreece, aged two days, February 1660; (4), of
Frances Apreece (Bexwell), February 1699, black marble
slab with arms of Apreece impaling Bexwell; (5), of
Ursula Bexwell, 1688. In nave – (6), of Elizabeth
Rowles, 1805; (7), of William Rowles, 1835; (8), of Jane
Rowles, 1811; (9), of Stephen Rowles, 1846; (10), of
Wildbore Wilkinson, 1811; (11), of John Pack, 1722,
Elizabeth his wife, 1710, and infants; (12), of Susannah
Botton, 1766. Piscina: in chancel, with one quatrefoil
sinking and credence shelves beneath twin arches, 13th-century (Plate 41). Miscellaneous: set in S. respond of
chancel arch and in S. aisle, two lengths of carving with
star decoration, 12th-century; in N. wall of tower, length
of stonework carved with interlace, pre-Conquest.
Fig. 157 Lutton (2) Manor House
(2) Manor House (Fig. 157; Plate 101), of two storeys,
was built in the late 16th or early 17th century by John
Loftus who held the manor from 1572 to 1615. The
manor was bought in 1561 by John's father Robert
Loftus of Ashton, whose father, described as a yeoman,
died owning four houses (Bridges II, 411). It is an L-shaped building with a main range originally of class 1a
plan; the wing next to the parlour contained a dairy or
similar service room. The door has been moved and the
fenestration altered, but some hollow-moulded mullioned
windows of two, three and four lights, some with ogee
frames, remain. The S. gable is parapeted and the roof is
hipped at the N. end to cover the wing. Inside there are
deeply chamfered beams with cavetto stops, wall-beams
in the central and N. rooms, and chamfered joists in the
S. room. The stair was originally against the E. face of
the internal stack. In the 17th century fireplaces were
added on both floors at the S. end; the floor of the upper
room was formerly of plaster.
(3) One storey and attics, thatched roof, two-room
plan, 18th or early 19th-century.
(4) The Forge, one storey and attics, a class 2 house of
17th-century date, originally timber-framed; the walls are
now of brick or rubble. Thatched roof. The N. room
has been demolished. (Not entered)
(5) One storey and attics, brick with thatched roof,
class 6b plan, early 19th-century. Parapeted gables,
dentilled eaves course, openings with rubbed brick flat
arches and semicircular relieving arch to door.
(6) Brook Farm (Figs. 158, 159), one storey and attics,
thatched roof, built in the late 16th century to class 1a
plan with two rooms in each end compartment; extended
to the S. by an additional room in 1698. The N. room
has an axial beam with pyramid stops and mortice holes
for a former partition; a swell-headed post in the timber-framed S. wall carries the beam and was ornamented in
the 17th century with a painted design in black, red and
white (Plate 126) when the axial partition was removed.
The former central room has an axial beam with bar
stops, and a large internal fireplace. To the S. the
compartment originally contained a cross passage and
two service rooms, as indicated by stops, of pyramid
form, and redundant mortice holes in the axial beam.
This arrangement was altered in the 17th century when a
stack was added on the S. The S. room has a datestone
inscribed 'AP 1698'.
Fig. 158 Lutton (6)
(7) Ducks Nest, one storey and attics, a timber-framed
house of 17th or 18th-century date with internal stack,
later encased in stone; thatched, half-hipped roof. The
cross wing at the W. end is early 19th-century. (Not
Fig. 159 Lutton (6) Plans to show development
(8) Two storeys, of red brick in Flemish bond, Welsh-slated roof, class 6b with entry away from the road,
second quarter 19th-century.
(9) Similar to (8) but with entrance at the front.