5 BEAMINSTER (C.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XX, S.W. (b)XX, S.E. (c)XXIX, N.W.
(d)XXIX, N.E. (e)XXIX, S.E.)
Beaminster is a parish and small town 6 m. N. of
Bridport. The church, Parnham, the Manor House,
Farrs and Meerhay Farm are the principal monuments.
c(1) Parish Church of St. Mary stands on the S.
side of Church Street. The walls are of local rubble
with some ashlar, the dressings are of the same material;
the roofs are covered with stone slates and lead. The
E. part of the North Aisle seems to have been the end
of the 13th-century transept of a cruciform church. In
the 15th century the Chancel was rebuilt, the W. part of
the Nave extended or rebuilt and the N.and South Aisles
partly or wholly rebuilt. The North Chapel was added
in 1505 by John Hillary and the West Tower was under
construction in 1503; about the same time the E. bays
of the arcades were built on the site of the former
crossing; the South West Vestry was built about the
middle of the 16th century. The church was restored
in 1860–3 and 1889 and the North Porch is modern.
The Tower is a handsome example of its period.
Architectural Description—The Chancel 22½ ft. by
15¾ ft.) has a 15th-century E. window of five cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head,
with moulded reveals; the tracery-cusping has been
removed as has that of several other windows. In the
N. wall is an early 16th-century arch, moulded and
three-centred and springing from moulded and shafted
responds. In the S. wall are two 15th-century windows,
each of two cinque-foiled lights with a quatrefoil (the
cusps of the eastern removed) in a two-centred head
and moulded reveals; the head of the western window
has been rebuilt; the doorway, of the same period,
has moulded jambs and two-centred head with foliated
spandrels and blank shields. The 15th-century chancel-arch is two-centred and of one continuous moulded
order; the reveals and soffit have double panels,
divided into tiers by trefoiled ogee heads. S. of the
arch is a squint to the S. aisle.
The North Chapel (17¾ ft. by 16½ ft.), now the organ-chamber, was added, according to a board within it,
by John Hillary of Meerhay in 1505, 'beautified ' by
Mary Mills of the same place in 1767 and restored by
William Clarke of Beaminster in 1794. The E.
window is of four cinque-foiled ogee lights with modern
tracery in a two-centred head and moulded reveals.
In the N. wall is a window of four trefoiled ogee lights
with restored tracery in a four-centred head and
moulded reveals. In the W. wall is an arch similar
to that in the N. wall of the chancel, but four-centred.
Beaminster, the Parish Church of St. Mary
The Nave (84 ft. by 15½ ft.) has N. and S. arcades of
five bays, the two eastern of early 16th-century date and
the others of late 15th-century date; the arches are
two-centred, the later ones being of two moulded
orders; the earlier ones are moulded; the piers have
each four shafts with moulded capitals and bases and
divided by hollow-chamfers; the responds have
attached half-piers; the earlier capitals of the piers and
responds have carved vine-foliage. In the S.E. angle
of the nave is the rood-loft staircase.
The North Aisle (16½ ft. wide) is of late 15th-century
date, but incorporates earlier work in the E. bays.
The two eastern windows in the N. wall are both of
three cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head with moulded reveals; the two western
windows are largely modern; the N. doorway is
modern except for the label-stops carved with half-angels, one holding a shield. The W. wall has a window
of three trefoiled lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head with moulded reveals and much restored.
The South Aisle (14¾ ft. wide) was built late in the
15th century. The E. window is modern except for
the rear-arch and part of the jambs and splays; N. of
it is the much restored lower doorway to the rood-loft
staircase; the staircase projects externally on moulded
corbelling with reused dog-tooth ornament. In the
S. wall are four windows, the three eastern much
restored and similar to those in the N. aisle; the
westernmost window is probably a little later but is
generally similar to the rest and has a label with returned
stops; the S. doorway has moulded jambs and two-centred head. In the W. wall is an arch, perhaps of
14th-century material reset; it is two-centred and of
two chamfered orders, the outer continuous and the
inner dying on to the responds.
The West Tower (14 ft. by 14¾ ft.) is of three stages
(Plate 65) with a modern floor inserted in the second
stage; it is of early 16th-century date and has a moulded
plinth with a band of quatrefoils at the top and an
embattled parapet with panelled pinnacles at the angles
and intermediate pinnacles; at the base of these and at
the angles of the tower are grotesque beast-corbels.
The moulded two-centred tower-arch has moulded and
shafted responds, the reveals and soffit have double
panels divided into tiers by cinque-foiled ogee heads. In
the S. wall is a similar but much lower four-centred
arch, opening into the vestry. The W. wall has a
recessed four-centred wall-arch, treated like the tower-arch but with a single row of panels and enclosing the
W. window and doorway; on the inner moulding are
two carved half-angels; the window is modern except
for the opening and label-stops carved with mitred
heads; the doorway has moulded jambs and four-centred head; the flanking buttresses and one on the
N. face have each a pinnacle standing on a carved beast,
and two niches with tabernacle-work and modern
figures standing on old corbels carved with angels,
two holding shields. The roof-corbels of this stage
are carved with the symbols of the Evangelists, eagle,
phoenix, pelican, fox and snake, fox and goose, angel
and grotesque beast. 'The second stage has, in the
E. wall, a window of two trefoiled lights in a square
head with a label and head-stops; in the N. and S.
walls are similar windows but with cinque-foiled ogee
heads to the lights; between this and the lower stage
is a band of panels traceried or quatre-foiled, with
paterae or blank shields; in the middle of this band on
the W. face (Plate 72) is a canopied niche containing
an image of the Virgin and Child, flanked by two smaller
niches with figures of St. James the Less (?) and St.
George; above these is a panel in the form of the
N. and S. windows; set on this window-panel is a
carved Crucifix with the Virgin and St. John; above
the panel are three pinnacles standing on angle-corbels
and between them two small panels under canopies and
carved with a Resurrection and an Ascension; flanking
the pinnacles are two secular figures, perhaps of donors,
under canopies; at this level there are pinnacles set
against the buttresses and standing on carved beasts
similar to those below. The bell-chamber has, in each
face, two coupled windows each of two cinque-foiled
ogee lights with tracery in a two-centred head, moulded
reveals and labels and cinque-foiled ogee heads under
The South West Vestry was built in the 16th century.
In the S. wall is a modern window. In the W. wall is
a reset late 14th-century doorway, now blocked; it
has moulded jambs and two-centred head; above it is a
modern window. The roof-corbels are carved with
The Roofs of the aisles are of pent-type and of the
17th century; both are of eight bays with moulded
principals and moulded subsidiary beams forming
Fittings—Bells: eight, all by the Bilbies, 1765; 1st
and 8th by T. Bilbie senr. and T. Bilbie junr.; 2nd,
3rd, 4th, 6th and 7th by T. Bilbie; 5th by T. Bilbie and
Sons. The oak bell-frame is probably contemporary.
In the third stage of the tower is a weight-driven device
for ringing the bells, consisting of a slatted drum of
wood with projecting metal teeth which are adjustable for different chimes; the drum has shaped and
moulded spokes and is mounted in a wood frame with
a brass plate engraved with the maker's name and
date, Thomas Bilbie, Cullumpton, 1767. Bracket: In
N. chapel—on E. wall, projecting chamfered slab,
mediæval. Brasses: In N. chapel—on W. wall, (1) to
Ann, wife of Henry Hillary, 1653–4, inscription only;
(2) to Elizabeth (Hillary), wife of William Mills, 1674–5,
inscription only; (3) to William Mills of Meerhay, 1760,
and Mary his wife, 1771, inscription only. In N. aisle—
on E. wall, (4) to Margerie, wife of John Mason,
1591–2, inscription only; on N. wall, (5) to William
Brinson, 1723, inscription only. In S. aisle—(6) to
John Tone, c. 1500, inscription only. Chairs: In
chancel—two with enriched backs and cresting, early
17th-century, made up with modern work. Clock: In
tower—third stage, mechanism hung in wrought-iron
frame with maker's name-plate attached, R.A. Cloud,
1739; it was remade by W. J. Ives in 1929 re-using
much of the original material. Font: Square bowl of
Purbeck stone with four round-headed panels on E.
face, late 12th-century, stem and base modern. Glass:
In chancel—S. wall, in E. window, memorial to Peter,
the only son of Peter and Anne Cox, 1850, figure subjects in each light, Resurrection and Ascension. In N.
chapel—in E. window, in heads of lights, crowns, and
two fragments with foliage in tracery, early 16th-century. Monuments and Floor-slab. Monuments: In
N. aisle—on E. wall, (1) to Daniel Cox, 1778, John Cox,
1783, and Samuel Cox, 1801, brothers, white and grey
marble wall-monument put up in the lifetime of Samuel,
with shield-of-arms and standing female figure leaning
on an urn; on N. wall, (2) to John Hoskins and Mary
Gifford his daughter, 18th-century, marble wall-monument with Doric side-columns with entablatures, pediment and cartouche-of-arms; (3) to Gershom Levieux,
1735, white marble wall-tablet in stone frame with
flanking scroll-brackets and pedimented cornice; (4) to
Richard Symes, barrister, 1783, Elizabeth his wife, 1792,
Anne their daughter, 1822, and her husband Samuel
Cox, 1822, marble wall-monument with oval medallion
carved with female figure leaning on an urn and shield-of-arms in frame of foliage; on S. wall, (5) to Henry
Samwayes, 1706, Henry his eldest son, 1711, and
five other sons, and Mary (Samwayes), wife of Giles
Merefeild, 1712, freestone and slate wall-monument
with Corinthian side-pilasters, entablature, pediment
and cherub-heads. In S. aisle—on S. wall, (6) to
Thomas Strode, Sergeant at Law, 1698–9, marble wall-monument (Plate 68) with standing figure in wig,
gown, etc., side-pilasters supporting cornice, pediment,
urns and achievement-of-arms, two putti (Plate 171)
in front of pilasters; (7) to George Strode of Parnham, 1753, and Catherine his wife, daughter of
Richard Brodrepp of Mapperton, 1746, white and
veined marble monument (Plate 173) probably by P.
Scheemakers, erected by Thomas Strode, brother of
George, with reclining figures of a man and woman on
a sarcophagus and on either side standing allegorical
figures one with a cornucopia the other an anchor,
above is an achievement-of-arms. In churchyard—W.
of the tower, (8) to Betty, daughter of William and Ann
Pavy, burnt in the Beaminster fire of 1781, headstone,
recently restored. Floor-slab: in N. aisle, towards E.
end, to John H..ll and Mary, 179.. Piscinae: In
chancel—recess with hollow-chamfered jambs and two-centred head, shelf and rectangular drain with boss,
14th-century. In N. chapel—in S. wall, recess with
two-centred head and shelf, mediaeval, sill modern. In
S. aisle—in S. wall, recess with trefoiled head and gable,
13th-century, no drain; further W., recess with trefoiled arch in square head with glass-groove, rectangular
drain with boss, 15th-century. Plate (Plate 29): includes a cup of 1611 with slender moulded stem, another
of 1797 with band of engraved key-pattern ornament
round the top of the bowl and plain curved stem, a third
of 1845 with twelve-sided bowl embossed with figures
of the Apostles in canopied niches and with serpententwined stem, with stand-paten to match, and a pair of
flagons and a pair of salvers of 1749 given by George
Strode of Parnham. Pulpit (Plate 67): of oak, octagonal with enriched cornice and base-moulding, enriched styles and two tiers of enriched arcaded panels,
early 17th-century, restored fluted stem, base modern;
said once to have had a canopy with an inscription
recording that it was built by Richard Hillary and
Lancelot Hallett, 1619. Stoup: In N. aisle—E. of
doorway, recess with pointed head, sill modern.
Weather-vane: On tower—large gilt cock (Plate 54)
17th or 18th-century. Miscellanea: Incorporated in
rood-loft staircase, 13th-century stone with dog-tooth
ornament. Incorporated in N.W. buttress of N. aisle,
four stones laid horizontally, each with a relief design
of a plant and flowers in a vase, probably 16th or 17th-century reused material.
Beaminster, Plan Showing the Position of Monuments
c(2) Holy Trinity Church, on the N. side of the
town, was begun in 1849 and consecrated in 1851;
Carver and Giles of Taunton were the architects. It
contains two late 17th-century high-backed chairs with
turned frames, panelled splats and carved cresting,
turned legs and carved front stretchers.
c(3) Congregational Chapel, on the N. side of
Whitcombe Road 280 yards E.S.E. of the parish church,
has walls of squared and coursed stone with ashlar
dressings and roofs covered with slates. A tablet on
the S. front records that it was built in 1749 and enlarged
1825; the present building appears to date mostly
from 1825. In the S. front are two doorways with fan-lights in semicircular heads, with round windows over,
and two lofty semicircular-headed windows with
mullions and simple tracery. The other fronts have
windows with segmental and two-centred heads.
Inside there are E. and W. galleries on square moulded
posts of wood. On the N. wall is a marble wall-tablet
to James Daniel, 1711, put up in 1835.
d(4) Homestead Moat, 1½ m. E.S.E. of the church
and W. of Marsh Farm, is of irregular form and is
c(5) Parnham, house 1,100 yards S.S.W. of the
church, is of three storeys; the walls are of local rubble,
ashlar-faced, and the roofs are covered with stone slates
and lead. A house is said to have been built here
c. 1400 by John Gerard and some building was done
here by William Strode at the end of the 15th century.
Robert Strode seems to have largely or entirely rebuilt
the house about the middle of the 16th century; to
this date belongs the hall with its porches, the wing,
originally the kitchen-wing, immediately adjoining the
hall on the N., and no doubt another wing to the S.
The present kitchen-wing to the N.W. was built as a
separate structure in the 17th century. The house was
much altered by George Strode (d. 1753) who enlarged
it and remodelled the S. and W. fronts. The house
passed to the family of Oglander in 1764, and in 1808
various minor alterations were made. In 1810 the
Dining Room was added from the designs of Nash who
probably remodelled the S. front, and the parapets,
pinnacles and gables are mostly of this period. There
have been various later alterations and restorations, the
kitchen-wing has been joined up to the main building
and almost completely modernised.
Though much restored the house is still a building
of considerable interest and the W. front by John Nash
and the S. front, almost certainly attributable to him,
are an important early 19th-century composition in
the romantic style (Plate 75). Inside the house there
are various notable fittings.
The E. Front (Plate 73) has been very considerably
restored and few of the details are original. The windows generally have four-centred lights and square
heads with moulded reveals and labels. The middle
window of the hall is an insertion with the chimney-stack above it. The three-storeyed porch (Plate 74)
has diagonal buttresses and a moulded plinth; the
outer archway has moulded jambs and four-centred
head; above it is a two-storeyed oriel window, resting
on moulded corbelling; the windows are of three lights
on the face and one on each return; above the lower
window is a 17th-century cartouche with the arms of
Strode impaling three helmets. The N. Front has been
refaced. The S. Front, remodelled early in the 19th
century, is divided into bays by shallow buttresses in
two stages finishing in pinnacles above the embattled
parapet, the lofty windows on ground and first floors
are transomed and mullioned; the fifth bay from the
E. is gabled and contains a two-storey bay-window.
The W. Front retains an original four-light window in
the W. wall of the original porch on the first floor; the
dining-room block and the outer porch are additions
of 1810 and their features are similar in design to those
of the S. front, with the exception of the dining-room
windows which were altered later in the century and
have square-headed lights. The Kitchen Wing retains
some 17th-century ashlar-facing but the details have all
18th-century and later work is shown dotted.
Interior. The Great Hall is entered, from the E.
porch, by an original doorway with moulded jambs
and four-centred arch in a square head with foliated
spandrels enclosing blank shields; the door, of the
same age, has five ranges of panels, strap-hinges and a
knocker; the corresponding doorway on the W. has
chamfered jambs and restored head and is fitted with a
17th-century panelled door. In the N. wall are two
doorways, one reset, similar to the E. doorway of the
hall; one is fitted with a restored and altered door.
The screen, brought from elsewhere, is of c. 1600
and has three ranges of panels finished with a moulded
and embattled cornice; the upper panels are enriched
and the doorway has jamb-shafts and a four-centred
head; the gallery-front is made up of old materials.
At the S. end of the hall are three original doorways
with four-centred heads and partly restored. The
two 16th-century windows in the W. wall were
formerly blocked; they are both of four four-centred
and transomed lights. The fireplace is modern
but has a wooden surround, consisting of parts
of a 15th-century screen. The ceiling has moulded
beams and joists. The three E. windows contain
old glass as follows: in the first window, eight mid
16th-century shields-of-arms, mostly with wreaths,
(a) Trenchard, (b) Wadham, (c) Burt, (d) Strangways, (e) quartered coat of Courtenay, (f) quartered
coat of Strode and the date and name, 1559, John Strode,
(g) quartered coat of Paulet with the garter, (h) Delalynde; in the second window, series of eight Flemish
16th-century roundels in wreaths; they include figures
of St. Peter, St. Jerome, St. James the Less (?), St. John
the Baptist, an abbess, etc., with some Flemish heraldry;
in the third window, eight mid 16th-century shields-of-arms, with wreaths, (a) quartered arms of Arundel,
(b) Tregonwell, (c) Paulet impaling Tregonwell (?),
(d) quartered coat of Morgan (?), (e) Sacheverel,
(f) made up quartered coat of Bitton, (g) quartered
coat of Morgan, (h) Marward (?). The S.E. Staircase
is of early 17th-century date, brought from elsewhere
and rearranged; it has turned balusters, enriched
strings and newels with shaped and pierced finials; the
walls are lined with reset 17th-century panelling. The
Drawing Room has two late 17th-century doorsurrounds with enriched eared architraves, carved
friezes and cornices; a reset doorway of the same date
in the E. wall has Corinthian side-pilasters, enriched
entablature and broken pediment; the late 17th-century-style fireplace has a moulded marble surround and
an overmantel with carved festoons and pendants of
fruit and flowers; the room has a panelled dado. The
Dining Room has reset 17th-century panelling and
a reset early 17th-century fireplace with moulded
jambs and four-centred arch in a square head; above
it is an enriched double frieze. The windows have two
large glass panels of c. 1500, partly repaired and bearing
the arms of Henry VII and figures of St. George and
the dragon. The Staircase N. of the hall is of c. 1710–30;
the walls are lined with mid 17th-century panelling and
in the W. wall is a wooden five-light window of the
same period. The Cloak Room, to the W. has a 16th-century five-light window in the W. wall, formerly
external. The Oak Room or Sitting Room at the N.
end of the main block is lined with early 16th-century
linen-fold panelling, said to have come from West
Hawsley Place. In the windows is a series of Flemish
or Dutch roundels with heraldry and figure-subjects
including (a) the Baptism, dated 1611, (b) Judith and
Holofernes, dated 1666, (c) Zacharias and Elizabeth,
dated 16. 1, (d) Abraham and the angels, 16.0, (e) Samson and the Philistines, 1679, (f) four oval quarries
with ships and sea-battles, dated 1666 and 1667, (g) St.
Peter and St. Catherine, 1585, and heraldry dated 1658,
1655, 1607 and 1542. The doorway has a four-centred
head and E. of it is a hatch with a head of the same
form. On the first floor the room above the cloak-room has a five-light 16th-century window in the W.
wall and a wooden 17th-century window of four lights
in the E. wall; the reset early 17th-century fireplace
has a four-centred head and above it is a later 17th-century overmantel with three ranges of panelling,
painted with putti, flowers, etc. The room over the
Oak Room has some reset 17th-century panelling and a
16th-century fireplace with a four-centred arch in a
square head. The rooms further S. have a considerable
amount of reused 17th-century panelling; the room
over the Drawing Room has carved 17th-century woodwork round the fireplace and the room over the Library
has a reset 17th-century overmantel (Plate 47) of three
bays with a carved entablature and terminal figures on
the pilasters; the side panels have conventional foliage
and the middle panel has a figure-subject of Joseph and
Potiphar's wife. The room over the Dining Room
has a reset overmantel of c. 1630 and of two bays divided
and flanked by fluted Ionic pilasters supporting an
enriched entablature; the bays have each an enriched
c(6) The Manor House (Plate 78), 420 yards E.N.E.
of the church, is of two and three storeys with attics and
cellars. The walls are of finely finished ashlar and the
roofs are slate-covered. It was rebuilt late in the 18th
century and altered and considerably enlarged in 1822;
plans prepared by G. A. Underwood are preserved in
the house. It incorporates a ceiling-panel and fireplace
from Fonthill; the former consists of a painting by
Andrea Casali of the Feast of the Gods (Plate 76) and
the fireplace, late 18th-century, has scenes from the
Trojan War (Plate 77). One small room is lined with
early 18th-century panelling with a dado-rail, from
Clifton Maybank. The Stables, E. of the house, were
built c. 1670 and greatly resemble those at Mapperton,
they are of one storey, ashlar-faced; the mullion and
transom windows have architraves and pediments; the
carriage-entrance is probably of 1863. In the garden,
E. of the house, is a gateway made up of fragments
from Clifton Maybank. These include mid 16th-century enriched pinnacles and shafts with string-courses and later terminals; between them is the archway with moulded jambs and four-centred head. The
great Avenue to the N.E. of the house ending at the
Pinnacles, a gateway placed for scenic effect on White
Sheet Hill, was laid out late in the 18th century. There
is a Grotto to the N.W. of the lake.
c(7) Farrs, house 310 yards E.S.E. of the church, is
of two storeys with attics; the walls are of stone and
the roofs are covered with stone slates. The middle
part of the N. wing was built in the 17th century and
subsequently extended towards the N. Early in the
18th century the main block, forming the W. wing
of the L-shaped plan, was added with the staircase-wing at the back. The early 18th-century S. front has
a central doorway with architrave, entablature, consoles
and pediment; the two ranges of stone windows are
of two lights and those to the ground floor have labels.
At the back are similar windows and an oriel-window
lighting the staircase. The doorway between the
staircase-wings is an 18th-century insertion and has a
wooden architrave and pediment; the second staircase
wing is modern. The original part of the house retains
a four-light window with a label to the kitchen and a
two-light window above it; there are windows of the
same character on the E. face of the wing. Inside the
building, the kitchen retains its original fireplace with
moulded jambs and four-centred head. The 18th-century wing has plaster cornices with bay-leaf
decoration and, at the E. end, a fireplace with marble
slips and a wood surround of c. 1750 (Plate 48) with
carved side-scrolls, frieze and cornice-shelf; the rococo
enrichment in the frieze includes a heron and C-scrolls.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys;
the walls are of rubble and the roofs are thatched or
covered with modern materials. Some of the buildings
have exposed ceiling-beams and original fireplaces.
c(8) House (Plate 41), on the N. side of Whitcombe
Road 150 yards S.E. of (7), has modern additions at the
back and a modern porch. The front has two ranges of
three-light windows, with a string-course running over
the lower range.
c(9) Hitts House, 400 yards E.S.E. of the church,
retains, on the N.E. front, five original stone-mullioned
windows; the doorway has a four-centred head
and is surmounted by an early 18th-century shell-hood on console brackets. Inside the building the
N.W. wall has an original fireplace with moulded jambs
and four-centred head and next to it is a semi-circular
stone staircase. The garden has 18th-century gate-piers with ball-terminals and a trough with a nozzle
discharging from a lead-panel dated 1761.
c(10) Cottage, immediately W. of (9), retains two
original stone windows with labels.
c(11) The Yews, house 35 yards N.W. of (10), has
modern additions on the N. and S.W. The E. front
retains its original two-light stone windows and there
are other original windows on the N. and W.
c(12) Bridge House, on the E. side of Prout Hill 240
yards E. of the church, has original but restored
windows of stone with labels. Recent removal of
plaster from the W. front has revealed a small blocked
window with two triangular-headed lights.
c(13) Woodlands, house on the E. side of Bridport
Road, 270 yards S.E. of the church, is modern except
for the N. portion, which retains an original four-light
window of stone.
c(14) The Walnuts, house, on the S. side of Prout
Hill 180 yards E. of the parish church, reputed formerly
to have been the Green Dragon Inn, is of two builds,
the N.E. half is probably an 18th-century building
remodelled in the 19th century, the back part is modern.
The front has panelled stucco pilasters at either end and
an eaves-cornice; the central doorway with panelled
reveals has flanking pilasters and entablature.
c(15) Cottage, on the E. side of St. Mary's Street 120
yards S.E. of the church, has been much altered.
c(16) Cottage, 60 yards N. of (15), retains an original
doorway with moulded jambs and four-centred arch in
a square head.
c(17) Eight Bells Inn, at the S.E. corner of Church
Street and St. Mary's Street, retains a number of
original stone-mullioned windows.
c(18) Cottage, on the W. side of St. Mary's Street 80
yards S.E. of the church, retains an original stone
window of four lights.
c(19) Cottage, at the S.E. corner of the churchyard,
has been much altered.
c(20) Almshouses, range of tenements on the N.W.
of the churchyard, are of one storey. They were
founded by Sir John Strode for six persons but are of
three tenements only. The front has two original
stone windows and one original doorway with a four-centred head; above them runs a continuous label.
A stone panel bears the inscription " God's house, sit
honos trino Deo Anno Dom. 1630". There are three
original windows at the back.
c (21) House, 90 yards N.W. of the church, is of two
storeys with attics. The walls are of brick. It was
built in the second half of the 18th century. The front
is symmetrically designed with an eaves-cornice of
bricks set on arris, and dormers. The windows have
stucco-lintels with key-blocks and the doorway has a
flat hood on shaped brackets. In the brickwork at
first-floor level is a decorative band four courses deep
incorporating blue headers.
c(22) Cottage, on the N. side of Church Street 40
yards N.W. of the church, is ruined.
c (23) Cottage, on the E. side of Shadrack Street 45
yards N. of the church, was built probably early in the
c(24) House, divided into two shop premises, on the
S. side of the Market Place at the corner of Church
Street, was built in the 18th century and has been added
to later on the S. The N. front has a stone eaves-cornice, plain sash windows and an entrance doorway
with moulded architrave and pedimented hood on
shaped brackets. Two shop-fronts have been inserted;
the E. is modern, the W. (Plate 49) is of c. 1800 and
consists of twin bow-windows with doorway between
under a continuous cornice.
c(25) House, on W. side of the Market Place 10 yards
S. of Hogshill Street, with ashlar walls, was built in the
18th century. The E. front has a chamfered plinth and
an eaves-cornice of one dentilled member; there is a
central bay-window two storeys high with cornices
over the windows on each floor, and to the N. of it an
entrance doorway with panelled reveals between Roman
Doric half-columns with full entablature breaking
forward over each column. The N. and S. ends are
gabled with flat copings; on the W. is a wing almost
the width of the frontage.
c(26) Houses and shops, formerly the King's Arms,
at the S. corner of Hogshill Street and the Market Place,
retain two original windows of three lights with a label
on the E. front; there are four original windows on
the N. front. The 19th-century shop-front facing
the Market Place has a doorway in the centre with a
bay-window on each side, the one to the S. is built into
a carriage-way and the segmental arch is visible at the
back. The E. part of the building has attics.
c(27) Garage, 40 yards W. of (26), formerly called
Whitehall and then the New Inn, has been greatly
altered but retains an original doorway with a four-centred head and a three-light stone window, both
c(28) Devonia, house on the S. side of Hogshill
Street 100 yards W. of the Market place, has walls of
ashlar and brick. The plan is L-shaped. It was built in
the 18th century. The N. street front is symmetrical
and has a plinth, rusticated quoins, dentil-cornice and
parapet, the four windows on each floor have moulded
architraves and key-blocks; there is no entrance door
in this front. The E. and W. ends are gabled. The S.
front and S. wing have brick walls to the upper floor and
windows with moulded stone architraves and key-stones.
c(29) House, 30 yards W. of (28), built of brick in the
second half of the 18th century, has been refronted in
ashlar in the first half of the 19th century. This later
street front is symmetrically designed, with the entrance
doorway in the middle under a porch with freestanding
Doric columns and entablature flanked by two bay-windows the full height of the two storeys. The E.
front is built in header-bond with dentil-cornice and
rusticated stone quoins; it is symmetrical, with central
round-headed doorway with reeded architrave flanked
by sash windows with flat brick arches and key-blocks.
c(30) House, 120 yards W. of (27), has been much
c(31) House, in Hogshill Street 150 yards W. of (29),
with ashlar front, was built in the 19th century. The
windows have flat heads and contain casements of two
and three lights with four-centred openings.
c(32) House, now three tenements, on the N. side of
Hogshill Street 20 yards N.W. of (30), retains two
original stone windows of four and three lights with
c(33) House with shop, 100 yards E. of (32), was
built probably early in the 18th century.
c(34) The Elms, immediately W. of the White Hart
170 yards N.N.E. of the parish church, has walls of
squared local rubble and ashlar, the roofs are partly
covered with stone slates. It was built in the 17th
century but has been remodelled and considerably
enlarged and the S. front is entirely of late 18th or early
19th-century date. This front has a cornice and parapet;
the central doorway has flanking pilasters and a hood
over and the windows have recessed beaded architraves.
The doorway in the W. front has a moulded architrave
and bracketed pediment. The N. front contains ranges
of two-light stone-mullioned windows with continuous
labels over on each floor. The house has been divided
c(35) Houses, forming block on the E. corner of
Fleet Street and the Market Place, have been considerably altered and the S. front rebuilt in the 18th century.
The back parts of the block have a number of stone
windows of the 17th and 18th centuries.
c(36) House with shop, on the N. corner of North
Street and the Market Place, has several stone-mullioned
windows with labels. On the N. front is a gabled
dormer with a panel inscribed "This town burnt in
1684 House rebuilt in 1687 W.L.". Inside the building
is an original fireplace with a four-centred arch in a
c(37) House, on the N. side of North Street 260 yards
E.N.E. of the parish church, is of two storeys with
attics. The walls are of stone and brick with ashlar
dressings. It was built early in the 18th century but
has been considerably modernised internally. The
street front has a hollow chamfered stone plinth and
brick eaves-cornice with dentils; the doorway in the
middle has a moulded architrave with scrolled sidepieces, pulvinated frieze, and bracketed pediment;
there is a central window on the first floor with segmental head and moulded architrave with stone shaped
side-pieces flush with the wall-face and carved with
open flowers. The other windows are tripartite with
moulded stone architraves and mullions. Inside there
are stop-chamfered beams, a small 18th-century fireplace with enriched moulded stone surround and some
18th-century panelling on the staircase wall.
c(38) House, formerly the Manor Arms Inn, on the
N. side of North Street 285 yards E.N.E. of the church,
retains a number of original stone-mullioned windows
with labels. Near the E. end of the front is a two-storeyed bay-window of three lights with one in each
return. The original doorway has a four-centred head.
c(39) House, opposite (38), retains some original
stone-mullioned windows, some with labels.
c(40) House, 135 yards E.N.E. of (39), retains a
moulded ceiling-beam of c. 1700.
c(41) House and Shop, on the W. side of Fleet Street
180 yards N.E. of the parish church, has walls of
ashlar. It was built late in the 18th century. The shop-front (Plate 49) consists of twin bow-windows with
door and fanlight between them, the frieze and cornice
over follow the curves of the windows and bow out
over the doorway; the glazing bars of the fanlight are
set out as interlacing circles. The house-door to the
S. with a reeded architrave has a fanlight in a round
c(42) Star Inn, on the W. side of Fleet Street 180
yards N. of the Market Place, has been much altered
but retains a panel in the S. gable with the initials
J.S.H. (?) and other letters.
c(43) Barton End, house on the E. side of Fleet Street
80 yards N. of (42), was shortened towards the W. to
make way for the existing 18th-century front block.
The old block retains a number of original stonemullioned windows with labels and a two-storeyed
porch; the outer archway has chamfered jambs
and a flat arched head with a label. Inside the building are some old battened doors with ornamental
strap-hinges. The front block of c. 1730–40 is symmetrically designed and has a brick front with a parapet
and dormers. The windows have architraves and key-blocks, and the doorway has a bracketed pediment.
c(44) House, 50 yards N. of (43), has original stone
windows of two lights and a doorway with side-pilasters
and a pediment. The long S. wing forms offices and
store-rooms and retains some original stone-mullioned
c(45) Cottage, on the S. side of the road at Gerrard's
Green 750 yards E.N.E. of the church, incorporates two
15th-century corbels carved with angels holding shields.
c(46) Cottage, 65 yards E.N.E. of (45), was built
probably early in the 18th century.
c(47) Whately Farm, house 800 yards N. of the church,
retains some original stone-mullioned windows with
c(48) House, 250 yards N.E. of (47), was rebuilt in
1721, but the details of the windows vary and some are
perhaps reused material.
c(49) Bowgrove Farm, house 370 yards N. of (48),
was built in 1704 and bears a panel with this date, the
initials W.H. and a text. Some of the windows are
c(50) Meerhay Farm, house 370 yards N.E. of (49), is
of two storeys with attics. It belonged to the family
of Hillary and was rebuilt c. 1610 and lengthened at a
slightly later date. The N.W. wing was added later
in the 17th century, making the plan T-shaped. The
N.W. front is ashlar-faced and has an original doorway
with moulded jambs and square head; W. of it are
two windows of four and six lights respectively with
moulded labels; a four-light window remains on the
N.E. of the wing; there is also one original window on
the first floor. The S.E. elevation (Plate 41) is of
coursed rubble and has an original doorway with
moulded jambs and four-centred arch in a square head;
the original ground-floor windows are of three and
four lights with labels and there are some original
windows on the first floor; the bay-window is modern.
The N.W. wing retains some original stone windows on
the S.W. side. Inside the building, the S.W. room of
the main block is lined with original plank-partitioning
brought from elsewhere in the house. An external
doorway retains an old nail-studded door and in the
S.W. wall is a stone staircase; the fireplace has moulded
jambs and four-centred arch in a square head. The
N.E. room retains three quarries of old glass, one with
the initials I.R. and a crown, the second with the initials
H.H. and the date 1610 and the third with a rayed rose.
The kitchen has an open fireplace with a heavy chamfered lintel. The staircase, of c. 1700, has turned
balusters. On the first floor is an original fireplace with
moulded jambs and four-centred arch in a square head.
a(51) Chapel Marsh Farm, house 1¾ m. N. of the
church, retains a number of original stone windows,
some with labels. Inside the building are two original
muntin and plank partitions and an original fireplace
with a four-centred head.
a(52) Buckham Mill, house ¾ m. N.W. of (51), retains
some original stone windows on the N.E. front; they
are of three and four lights with labels. Inside the
building are some original partitions, one having
moulded rails; two original fireplaces have four-centred heads.
a (53) Lower Buckham Farm, house 15/8 m. N.N.W. of
the parish church, was built in the 17th century. It
retains some original two, three and four-light stonemullioned windows.
c (54) Cottage, on the S. side of a bye-lane 750 yards W.
of the church, has recently been restored.
c (55) Coombe Down Farm, house ¼ m. E. of (5), has
been altered and enlarged in the present century.
The E. front retains a number of original stonemullioned windows, some with labels; there are also
some small windows with triangular heads.
d(56) Whitcombe Farm, house nearly ¾ m. S.E. of the
parish church, has walls of brick with stone dressings.
It was built late in the 18th or early in the 19th century.
The S. front is symmetrical, the doorway has a pedimentshaped stone hood and the windows are of two and
three lights with square stone mullions.
d(57) Storridge Farm, house nearly 1¼ m. E.S.E. of
the church, has a later addition on the E. The S.
front retains four original four-light windows with
labels; there are similar three-light windows on the N.
d(58) Mapperton Marsh Farm, 600 yards E. of (57),
retains some original stone-mullioned windows with
labels on the E. side; the doorway has a door dated
1782; on this side is a square staircase-wing. Inside the building is one original fireplace with moulded
jambs and depressed arch in a square head. In the
attics is some plain 17th-century panelling. A cottage
of two tenements forms a N. extension of the house;
it retains some original stone windows with labels.
d(59) Coombe Cottage, now three tenements, 670 yards
S. of (57), was built c. 1600 and has a later extension on
the W. Inside the building are three original moulded
beams carved with paterae. There are also some old
a(60) Tunnel, 13/8 m. N.W. of the church, has the
S.E. entrance in this parish, the N.W. in Broadwindsor.
The internal lining is of brick and the entrances are
built of rubble and ashlar. There is an inscription panel
at each end recording the public's indebtedness for
the erection of the tunnel chiefly to Giles Russell of
Beaminster; it was begun in 1831 and finished in
1832; M. Lang, civil engineer. The entrances consist
of semi-circular rusticated arches with keystones and
plain imposts; each has a heavy string over and
a parapet wall above containing the inscription panel.
The embankment-walls flanking the approaches are
shaped and battered.
b(61) Bowl Barrows, on Beaminster Down 1¾ m.
N.E. of the church, are four in number. The more
southerly (a), 65 yards N. of the road, is 53 ft. by 70 ft.
in diam. and 6 ft. high. (b), 480 yards to the N., is
66 ft. by 96 ft. in diam. and 10 ft. high. These barrows
were opened in 1874 by S.S. Cox who found in one
of them, near the middle, an inverted "crock" full of
bones and with charred wood lying near; a second
vessel was found at a higher level (R. Hine, Hist. of
Beaminster, 1914, p. 3). Two small barrows (c) and
(d), 90 yards S.E. of (b), have been ploughed in the past,
they are approximately 21 ft. and 24 ft. in diam. and
9 in. and 1 ft. high.
c(62) Lynchets are on an E. and S. slope outside
Edmund Coombe Coppice ¼ m. S.W. of the church.
The S. terraces average 10 yards in width.
d(63) Lynchets, on Coombe Down Hill about ¾ m.
S.E. of the church, form several groups on the N. and
S. slopes. A well-marked group faces S. and has
terraces from 20 yards wide upwards.
d(64) Lynchets, on the N. slopes of Gold Hill
nearly 1¼ m. S.E. of the church.
d(65) Lynchets, on a S.W. slope N. of (59), are
d(66) Lynchets, on the S. slope of Storridge Hill,
S.W. of (57), form three broad terraces.
e(67) Lynchets, on an E. slope in the extreme S.
corner of the parish.
d(68) Lynchets, on the W. and S.E. slopes of White
Sheet Hill 1¼ m. N.E. of the church and extending
some distance to the E., form a number of groups of
which those on White Sheet Hill are the best defined.
b(69) Lynchets, on the S. slope of Mintern's Hill,
form several groups.