8 BOTHENHAMPTON (C.e.)
(O.S. 6 in. XXXVIII, S.W.)
Bothenhampton is a small parish, including part of
the parish of Walditch and adjoining Bridport on the
(1) Old Parish Church of The Holy Trinity,
formerly a chapel of Loders and now a mortuary
chapel, stands at the E. end of the village. The walls
are of local rubble with dressings of the same material
and the roofs are covered with stone slates. The
Chancel was built perhaps in the 14th century and the
South Tower was added in the 15th century. The only
remains of the former Nave consist of the N.W. angle,
and the chancel is now shut off by a modern wall.
The modern church was built in 1889.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (22 ft. by
12 ft.) has a blocked E. window of early 15th-century
date; it has a two-centred head with a label and head-stops. The N. wall has been rebuilt and contains a
modern window; at the W. end is the lower doorway
to the former rood-loft staircase; it has chamfered
jambs and four-centred head and is now blocked. In
the S. wall is a modern window. The two-centred
chancel-arch is of one continuous chamfered order
and is perhaps of the 14th century. In the modern W.
wall is a reset 15th-century doorway with moulded
jambs and two-centred head.
The South Tower (8½ ft. square) is of the 15th century
and of two stages with an embattled parapet and gargoyles. The N. tower-arch has chamfered responds
and a modern arch. In the S. wall is a partly restored
window of two cinque-foiled lights with tracery in a
two-centred head. The bell-chamber has, in the E.,
N. and W. walls a rectangular window.
The Nave (about 28 ft. by 19 ft.) is only represented
by a fragment of the N.W. angle.
Fittings—Bell: In modern church—one, by Thomas
Purdue, 1689. Book: In modern church—bible, 17th-century. Chest: In modern church—of hutch-type
with enriched top-rail and three front panels with
rosettes etc., early 17th-century. Communion Rails:
with turned balusters, 18th-century. Font: circular
bowl with splayed underside, possibly 13th-century.
Plate: includes an Elizabethan cup and cover-paten,
the latter with the date 1575, a paten of 1728 and a
flagon of 1789. Reredos: of oak, with Ionic pilasters,
pediment and urn, 18th-century.
(2) Parish Church of St. Mary, Walditch, stands
in the N.E. corner of the civil parish. It was entirely
rebuilt in 1863, but retains from the older building the
Fittings—Font: square tapering bowl with round-headed panels on one face, conventional leaves on two
faces and enriched spandrels on top, cylindrical stem
and fluted or scalloped base, late 12th-century. Plate:
includes a cup and cover-paten of 1570.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys;
the walls are of local rubble and the roofs are covered
with thatch or modern materials. Some of the
buildings have exposed ceiling-beams and original
(3) Cottage, on the S. side of the road 180 yards S.W.
of Bothenhampton old church, was built early in the
(4) Cottage, now the Post Office, 200 yards W. of (3).
(5) Cottage, two tenements, 70 yards N.E. of (4),
has braces to the roof-truss, carried down the wall.
(6) Cottage, 50 yards W. of (4), has been extended
to the E. There is a projecting oven of rubble.
(7) House, now two tenements, 200 yards S.S.E. of
the modern church.
(8) Wych Farm, house 1,150 yards S.S.W. of the old
church, was built probably early in the 18th century.
The doorway has a triangular head with the initials and
date I. and A.T. 1705. The doorway at the back has a
similar head and there are some original windows with
labels. Inside the building is a batten and plank
(9) Cottage, on the S.E. side of the road at Walditch
and 200 yards N.E. of the church there.
(10) Cottage, two tenements, on the N. side of the
road 40 yards N. of (9).
(11) House, on the N.E. side of the road 150 yards
N.W. of (10).
(12) Broadstone Farm, house 300 yards N.E. of the
church (2), was built probably in the 16th century. The
doorway retains its moulded label. The barn, forming
part of the S.W. wing, has collar-beam trusses with
curved braces and wind-braces.
(13) Manor Cottage, 30 yards N.E. of (12), retains a
number of original stone-mullioned windows, some of
the lower ones with moulded labels.
(14) Cottage, opposite (13).
(15) Cottage, three tenements 120 yards N.E. of (14),
was built probably early in the 18th century.
The following lynchets (16 and 17) no doubt form
part of the former field-systems of their respective
(16) Lynchets (Plate 70), to the E., W. and S. of
Walditch village, form ten groups as follows:—(a) on
an E. slope about 650 yards E.S.E. of the church, a
series now about 200 yards long but formerly extending
another 200 yards to the S.; the terraces are 10 to 12
yards wide; (b) traces of a series on a W. slope, S.E.
of (a); (c) series of four terraces on a N.E. slope,
100 yards W. of (a), about 10 to 15 yards wide; (d) series
of terraces immediately N. of (c) and forming a right-angled bend facing the E. and N.; (e) irregular terraces
to the S.W. of (d); (f) series facing N.E., about 250
yards long and 300 yards S.W. of (d); (g) series
facing N.W., 600 yards N.W. of the church and about
250 yards long; (h) series facing N.E. and at right
angles to (g); (i) three terraces facing S.W. and on
the opposite side of the re-entrant to (h); (j) three or
four terraces facing N. adjoining and nearly at right
angles to (i).
(17) Lynchets, forming two series, N.E. of Bothenhampton village, are as follows—(a) irregular series
facing S. and S.W. and becoming more regular in the
Warren; (b) three terraces turning at right angles to
the S. at the E. end of (a) to face W.