14 BRIDPORT (C.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXXVIII, N.W. (b)XXXVIII,
Bridport is a municipal borough on the river Brit
15 m. W. of Dorchester. It now includes parts of the
parishes of Allington, Bradpole, Bothenhampton,
Burton Bradstock and Symondsbury. The church, the
Unitarian Chapel, the Town Hall, the Chantry and
Downe Hall are the principal monuments.
b(1) Parish Church of St. Mary stands on the W.
side of South Street. The walls are of local rubble and
ashlar with dressings of the same material; the roofs
are covered with tiles and lead. A church of cruciform
plan was built in the first half of the 13th century and
of this much of the North and South Transepts remains.
A recorded dedication in 1362 may refer to a rebuilding
of the chancel. Work seems to have been in progress
in 1397 and it was perhaps at this time that a general
rebuilding was begun with the Crossing, Central Tower
and South Nave Chapel; the rebuilding of the Nave and
Aisles no doubt extended into the 15th century and the
South Porch is of the same period. There was a dedication in 1403. Large windows were inserted in the
transepts in the 15th century and a recorded dedication
in 1486 may refer to another rebuilding of the chancel.
The church was drastically restored in 1860, when the
Chancel andChapels were rebuilt and the nave and aisles
extended two bays to the W.
The central tower and transepts are of some architectural interest.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (29¾ ft. by
14¾ ft.) and the North and South Chapels are modern.
The Central Tower (13 ft. square) is of c.1400 and of
four stages, with a N.W. stair-turret, an embattled
parapet and pinnacles. The crossing has, in each
wall, a two-centred arch with the main mouldings
continued down the responds, which have each three
attached shafts with moulded bases and capitals enriched
with paterae; the inner shafts are triple and from them
spring the diagonal ribs of the modern plaster vault.
The second stage has a small rectangular light in the
E. wall and a similar but modern light in the W. wall.
The third stage has, in the E. and N. walls, a window of
one square-headed light. The bell-chamber has, in
each wall, a partly restored window of two trefoiled
lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head with
moulded reveals and label with returned stops.
The North Transept (23½ ft. by 12¾ ft.) has, in the E.
wall, an early 13th-century arcade of two bays with
two centred arches of two orders, the inner moulded
and the outer chamfered; they spring from attached
shafts with moulded bases and capitals; the capitals
of the middle pier have simple leaves in addition; the
moulded labels have a leaf-stop at the N. end and a
stop with vine-leaves and grapes in the middle; the
S. arch opens into the N. chapel, but that on the N. is a
wall-arch only and under it is a 13th-century lancet-window with moulded splays. In the N. wall is a
much restored 15th-century window of five cinque-foiled
lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head with
moulded reveals and label. In the W. wall is a modern
doorway with a modern or restored lancet-window
above it; further S. is an arch of c.1400, two-centred
and of three moulded orders; the responds have each
four attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases;
the main capitals have paterae.
The South Transept (23¼ ft. by 13½ ft.) has, in the E.
wall, two arches; the northern is of c.1400, two-centred
and moulded; the responds have each three attached
shafts with moulded capitals and bases; the main
capitals have paterae; the southern arch is a wall-arch
similar to that in the N. transept, but all the capitals
have simple leaf or reed-ornament; it encloses a
restored lancet-window similar to that in the N. transept.
In the S. wall is a much restored 15th-century window
of six cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in a
two-centred head with moulded reveals, shafted splays
and a label. In the W. wall is an arch of c.1400,
similar to the corresponding arch in the N. transept;
further S. is a 13th-century lancet-window with moulded
splays and with the opening enlarged.
The Nave (77½ ft. by 14¼ ft.) has early 15th-century N.
and S. arcades, originally of four bays but now with
two modern bays to the W. The two-centred arches
are moulded with the main mouldings partly continued
down the piers and responds, which have attached
shafts with moulded capitals and bases; the main
capitals have paterae.
The North Aisle (11 ft. wide) has, in the N. wall,
six windows, each of three cinque-foiled lights with
vertical tracery in a two-centred head with moulded
reveals, labels and head-stops; the second is largely
and the two westernmost windows entirely modern,
but the others are of early 15th-century date, much
restored. In the N.E. angle is an octagonal stair-turret, communicating with the central tower by a
passage with a stone roof on corbelling.
Bridport, the Parish Church of St. Mary
The South Aisle (10½ ft. wide) has in the E. bay an
archway of c.1400; it has responds and two-centred
arch of two continuous moulded orders; the S. doorway, of the same date, has hollow-chamfered jambs
and two-centred arch; above it is a modern arch
opening into the upper storey of the porch; further
W. are four windows similar to those in the N. aisle;
the two westernmost are modern.
The South Chapel of the Nave (13¾ ft. by 10 ft.) has,
in the S. wall, a partly restored window similar to those
in the aisles.
The South Porch is of c.1400 and of two storeys with
carved paterae, heads and gargoyles to the parapet and
a chimney at the S.W. angle. The outer archway
has moulded jambs and partly restored two-centred
head with a label. The upper storey has, in the S.
wall, a three-sided oriel-window with concave corbelling
and moulded capping; the main face has a window
of two trefoiled lights with tracery in a square head;
the side faces have each a loop-light.
The Roofs of the aisles are of pent-form, with
chamfered timbers, probably of the 16th or 17th century; one of the carved corbels appears to be old.
Fittings—Brass: see Monument (6). Font: octagonal bowl with quatre-foiled panel in each face,
moulded lower edge, octagonal stem with trefoil-headed panel in each face, hollow-chamfered base,
15th-century. Hatchment: In S. transept, on E. wall,
of Bull, 18th-century. Monuments and Floor-slabs.
Monuments: In N. transept—(1) cross-legged effigy in
mail with long surcoat, shield on left, remains of sword,
feet on lion, flat-topped mail cap, mid 13th-century,
much patched and restored, face modern; on E. wall,
(2) to John Bishop M.D., 1762, Susannah his child,
1730, and Mary his wife, 1781, wall-monument of white
and veined marble with cornice, apron and shield-of-arms now illegible. In S. transept—on W. wall, (3) to
Samuel Bull, 1777, white and veined marble wall-monument with cornice, urn and swags; on S. wall,
(4) to Josiah Northcote Tead, 1807, and Mary (Palmer)
his wife, 1803, black and white marble wall-monument
by T. E. Wood, Chelsea. In S. nave-chapel—on E.
wall, (5) to Katherine (Davys), widow of Robert
Frampton, rector of Dunhead, 1705, tablet with cherub-heads, urn, etc.; (6) to Edward Coker, slain at the Bull
Inn, 1685, tablet with brass plate and shield-of-arms in
wooden frame. In churchyard—N. of N. chapel,
(7) to Joseph, 1769, and John, sons of Richard and
Mary Roberts, Phoebe, wife of Giles Roberts, 1810, and
Phoebe their daughter, obelisk with ball finial on
pedestal-base with steps, one face of the obelisk with
a shield-of-arms and the panelled faces of the pedestal
with inscriptions and a figure group of the Good
Samaritan carved in low relief, late 18th or early 19th-century, "erected by Chambers"; S. of chancel,
(8) to Anthony Pearse, 1690–1, table-tomb; (9) to
Mary, widow of Anthony Pearse, 1692, table-tomb;
S. of S. chapel, (10) to William Burt, 1680, and Cicely,
wife of William Burt, 1696, table-tomb; N. of N.
transept, (11) to Walter Hallet, table-tomb, probably early 18th-century; N. of nave, (12) to William
Chilcot, 1692, table-tomb; (13) to Robert Bishop,
1678, Mary, daughter of Robert Bishop, 1678, Thomas,
1701, and Thomas, 17.., sons of Samuell Bishop, and
Thomas, son of Robert Bishop, 1701, table-tomb;
(14) to Eddeth, wife of Robert Bishop, 1684–5, Robert
Bishop sen., 1684, Mary wife of Samuell Bishop, 1687,
and Robert infant son of same, 1687, table-tomb; W.
of nave, (15) headstone with date 1670. Floor-slabs:
In crossing—(1) to Lewis Alford, 1712, and Mary, his
wife: (2) to John Allford, 172., inscription much
worn; (3) to William Bull, and another, probably 18th-century, much worn; (4) to John Ellery, 1790, Mary
his wife, 1771, and Mary Golding their daughter. In
N. transept—(5) to Dulcebelle, wife of Sir Thomas
Aston, 1677, with shield-of-arms and enrichments;
(6) to Elizabeth Burtt and others, 18th-century, much
worn. In S. transept—(7) to Richard, son of Richard
and Elizabeth Button, 1720; (8) to Francis... den,
18th-century, much worn; (9) to Elizabeth, wife of
John Hounsell, 1773. Piscina: In N. transept—in E.
wall, recess with trefoiled head, 13th-century. Plate:
includes a cup, a paten, a flagon and two alms-dishes
all of 1827. Royal Arms: painted on boards, of
Victoria. Sundial: on E. buttress of S. porch—scratch
dial. Weather-vane: On tower—gilt metal cock (Plate
54), 17th or 18th-century. Miscellanea: Against W.
wall of S. porch—carved stone with three niches surmounted by decayed tabernacle work and flanked by
buttresses, deep central niche with holes for iron grate,
side niches with weathered figures, defaced half-angel
under central niche, 15th-century, said to have come
from the chapel of St. Andrew at the High Cross.
b(2) Parish Church of St. Swithun, Allington,
now in the Borough of Bridport, stands on the W. of
North Allington near the junction with West Allington.
The walls are of stone from quarries at Bothenhampton,
faced with stucco with ashlar dressings. It is a building of 1827 in neo-Greek style, rectangular on plan,
with a pedimented Doric Portico on the E. with circular
Bell-Turret over. The doorways are square-headed and
have simple moulded architraves, and the windows
have semi-circular heads. There is an entablature round
the building with plain frieze, except over the portico
where the full Doric members, triglyphs, mutules and
guttae, appear; the low parapet wall is plain. Inside,
the altar is at the W. end and there is no structural
demarcation between Chancel and Nave.There is an
entrance Vestibule with Vestry to the S. of it.
Fittings—Bells: two; 1st probably 19th-century;
2nd by T. Mears, London, 1827. Books: bible, leatherbound, 1777. Communion table: of mahogany, possibly
contemporary with the church. Gallery: at the E. end,
front with moulded top-rail, pierced interlacing-arch
trellising and solid panels below supported on iron
pillars with moulded caps; there is a projecting bay
in the middle, panelled and with fluted corners, and
on it the Royal Arms and a painted inscription recording the rebuilding of the church in 1827. Plate:
includes a cup, the foot enriched with embossed foliage,
given by Mrs. Peach, 1827, a flagon (Plate 31) given by
members of the Fox family, 1827, a stand-paten given
by Mrs. Dorothy Way, 1734, altered and enlarged in
1827, an alms-dish, 1827, and a pewter flagon inscribed
T.B.W. 1694. Pulpit: to N. of altar, with moulded
panels and fluted angles. Royal Arms: on gallery-front, carved in wood, of Victoria.
b(3) Wesleyan Methodist Chapel stands on the E.
side of South Street near the junction with East Street.
The walls are of rubble, faced with stucco on the W.
front. It was built in 1838. There is a forecourt
on the W. flanked N. and S. by three-storey houses
contemporary with the chapel making a small formal
layout to the street. The building is rectangular on
plan with a recess at the E. end for the organ. The
pedimented W. front has the middle bay of three set
back to contain two fluted Ionic columns-in-antis
flanking a square-headed entrance doorway with eared
architrave and a round-headed window above; the
side bays each with flanking pilasters contain segmental-headed windows below and round-headed above.
Inside, the organ-recess has an arched head springing
from pilasters with Corinthian caps.
Fittings—Books: bible, leather-bound, Pitt Press,
1844. Gallery: round the N., S. and W. sides, panelled
front with moulded shelf, dentils and console brackets,
divided into bays by fluted strip-pilasters. Pulpit:
(Plate 27) from Charmouth parish church (q.v.), 17th-century.
The Houses N. and S. of the forecourt are stuccoed
and the roofs are covered with slates. The fronts
facing inward have central square-headed doorways
with moulded eared architraves and windows with
flat cornices carried on shaped brackets.
b(4) West Bay Methodist Chapel stands near the
shore, 13/8 m. S. of the parish church. The walls are of
rubble with the E., S. and W. fronts faced with stucco
and the roofs are slate-covered. It was built early in
the 19th century. There is a projecting N. porch of
wood with panelled sides, full entablature with narrow
modillions and concave canopy-shaped roof with small
finial; the windows have round heads.
b(5) Unitarian Chapel (Plate 88) stands on the N.
side of East Street near the junction with Barrack Street.
The walls are of brick and rubble with ashlar dressings
and the roofs are covered with slates. It was built in
1794. The plan is rectangular, orientated N. and S.;
the main entrance is to the S. under an open semi
circular porch composed of two free-standing Ionic
columns and pilasters with plain entablature on a
stylobate of two steps; the doorway is flanked by
narrow lights with fanlight over. The windows have
round heads and are symmetrically arranged, one on
either side of the porch and three on first-floor level;
there is a plain shallow eaves-cornice. The interior
has a moulded plaster cornice otherwise it is plain.
Fittings, unless described otherwise, are probably
contemporary with the chapel—Chairs: pair, mahogany, with turned legs and solid panelled backs with
rounded tops, mid 19th-century. Communion Rails:
below the pulpit, U-shaped on plan, with moulded rail
and turned balusters. Gallery: with panelled front
supported on Ionic columns of marbled wood. Monument: on N. wall above pulpit, to Rev. Thomas Howe,
1820, wall-tablet of black and white marble with cornice.
Pulpit: with standard; in middle of N. wall, of wood
veneered, with plain sides, canted angles containing
fluted pilasters, cornice and stepped base on hollow-curved bracket; the standard is flanked by narrow
reeded pilasters and has a cornice-mould at the top.
b(6) Baptist Chapel stands on the E. side of Victoria Grove 100 yards N. of West Street. The walls
are of rubble with stucco W. front and the roofs are
covered with slates. It was built in 1841. The plan
is rectangular. The pedimented W. front has pilasters
at the two angles, a pedimented entrance porch in the
middle and two tall narrow windows with round heads.
The interior is plain.
Fittings—Gallery: at W. end, panelled front, supported on wood columns with moulded caps. Pulpit:
with similar panelling.
a(7) Walling between the gardens of Allington
Vicarage and that of No. 9 Parsonage Road, 1,150
yards N.N.W. of Bridport church, is said to be part of
the mediæval church of St. Swithun, Allington. It is
of rubble, about 7 ft. high and extends from E. to W.
Incorporated in it is a portion of cusped stonework.
Bridport, Plan showing the Position of Monuments
b(8) Friends' Meeting House and Almshouses,
on the E. side of South Street 30 yards S.E. of the
church, form four sides of a small courtyard. The
building is of one and two storeys; the walls are of
rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. The Meeting
House was given by Daniel Taylor to the Society of
Friends in 1697 and the adjoining buildings were handed
over by him to trustees to be used as almshouses. The
range on the W. side, to the N. of the Meeting House,
was built in the 15th century. The N. range was
built in the 16th century and the Meeting House, on
the S., is said to have been a barn and is perhaps of the
17th century. The building has been altered in the
18th century and more modern times and the Meeting
Room on the E. side is a modern addition. The
Meeting House has an early 18th-century window in the
W. wall with a wooden frame, mullion and transom;
there are four windows of similar date in the N. wall,
all of two lights and the two lower also with transoms.
There are some similar windows on the E. side of the
building. In the S. wall of the N. range is a 16th-century stone doorway with a four-centred head.
Inside the building, the Meeting House has galleries
on the E. and N. sides; the latter is supported on three
old timber posts. The N. part of the W. range
originally formed one room and has late 15th-century
moulded wall-plates and central beam, with carved
paterae; the room has been sub-divided by 17th-century panelled partitions. There is also an old
partition on the N. side of the entrance-passage. The
upper storey retains an original roof-truss with curved
braces and curved wind-braces. The N. range retains
some 16th-century moulded ceiling-beams. On the
upper floor are the jambs and lintel of a blocked fireplace. Parts of the roof-trusses are exposed, as are some
Bridport, Friends Meeting House & Daniel Taylor Almshouses
b(9) Town Hall (Plate 89) stands at the junction of
East Street and South Street 330 yards N. of the parish
church, on the site of the former Chapel of St. Andrew.
The building is of two storeys; the walls are of brick
with stone dressings and the roofs are covered with
slates. It was built in 1785–6 to the design of William
Tyler, R.A., and the clock and cupola were added some
twenty years later at the expense of Sir Evan Nepean.
The craftsmen responsible for the work were, David
Fudge, bricklayer, plasterer and tiler, James Hamilton
of Melcombe Regis, Portland stone mason, John Conway, William and John Bearn, carpenters and joiners,
Abraham Selwood for the leadwork, Ben. Galpin,
painter and glazier, and Edward Dare who made the
wrought-iron balustrade of the staircase. The plan is
T-shaped with the cross-wing fronting East Street; the
ground floor has arcading of semi-circular arches round
and originally accommodated an open market, the S.
wing has now been filled in. The main N. front has
five bays of arcading, the middle three project and are
of rusticated stonework; the projection is carried up
in brick and pedimented at roof level to form a central
feature, in it on the first floor is a Venetian window
with a stone panel below the sill carved with the arms
of the Borough; in the tympanum of the pediment is
a circular window; each of the flanking areas of wall
contains a plain rectangular window on the first floor.
The E. and W. return walls are each of three bays, with
a plain rectangular window on the first floor flanked
by round-headed niches; the E. window is now
blocked. Over the middle of the N. cross-wing is a
clock-tower and open cupola with eight columns,
renewed in 1825, supporting a lead-covered dome and
weather-vane. The S. wing has four bays of arcading
on either side and three on the S. Inside, the town
hall occupies most of the first floor; there is a raised
dais towards the S. end in a three-centred arched opening with moulded archivolt springing from the entablatures of Ionic columns and half-columns framing
lobbies open to the hall on either side of the dais; the
remaining walls have a panelled dado. The panelling
and decoration of the dais were added in 1897; the
fireplace is modern.
b(10) East Bridge, at the E. end of East Street, is
of ashlar and consists of one arched span. It was built
by J. and T. Gale in 1784 and subsequently widened.
There is a plain parapet wall with chamfered coping to
which is fixed a metal plate with the names of the
builders and the date.
b(11) The Chantry, house on the W. side of South
Street, 180 yards S. of the church, is of two storeys
with attics; the walls are of coursed rubble and the
roofs are covered with stone slates. The building
dates from the 14th or 15th century and its original
purpose is unknown; in some respects it resembles
the isolated tower-houses of semi-defensive character.
The E. front has a projecting porch-wing of two
storeys; the outer entrance has moulded jambs and
two-centred head; the inner doorway has hollow-chamfered jambs and four-centred head. Near the
top of the building is an oversailing course above
which the wall is set back. The windows are of 18th
century or modern date. On the W. side is a fireplace
projection with a splayed capping. Inside the building,
some heavy chamfered ceiling-beams are exposed.
Near the middle are remains of the original spiral staircase to the first floor; it is of stone and is entered by a
doorway with hollow-chamfered jambs and four-centred head; beside this is a recess with a cusped ogee
head. Further W. is a 16th or 17th-century muntin and
plank partition. The open fireplace in the S.W. room
has a chamfered lintel and a shelf carried on octagonal
corbels. In the N.W. room is a fireplace with moulded
jambs and four-centred arch in a square head with a
moulded cornice. On the first floor the room over the
porch is entered by an archway with hollow-chamfered
jambs and two-centred head; in the S. wall is an
original recess with an ogee head and remains of a
drain, cut back. A doorway on this floor retains its
hollow-chamfered jambs and four-centred head; a
window in the W. wall, now blocked, is set high up
and has a steeply splayed sill; it is perhaps original.
Bridport, the Chantry
b(12) House, called the Castle and now the Art
Gallery and Museum, on the E. side of South Street
110 yards S. of East Street, is of two storeys; the
walls are of rubble with freestone dressings and the
roofs are covered with tiles and slates. It was built
in the first half of the 16th century and is said to have
been the house of the chantry-priest of St. Leonard.
It was damaged by fire in 1876 and was given to the
town in 1932. The W. front has a moulded string-course between the storeys; the windows are of three
and five four-centred lights with moulded reveals;
two of these windows, one on each floor, have incipient
cinque-foiled cusping on the heads of the lights. The
two-storeyed porch is semi-octagonal on plan and has
an outer archway with moulded jambs and four-centred head; the inner doorway also has moulded
jambs and four-centred head. The upper storey
has windows similar to those on the rest of the front,
one of four lights on the face and one of two lights in
each return. The porch has a gable corbelled out over
the splayed angles of the building. Inside the building
there is an original fireplace with moulded jambs and
four-centred head and, on the first floor, a corbel
carved with a half-angel holding a book.
b(13) Downe Hall, standing to the N. of the town
650 yards N.N.E. of the parish church, is of three
storeys with lower wings and basement. The walls
are of local rubble and Portland stone ashlar and the
roofs are slate-covered. It is said to have been built
by Capt. Downe in 1789; in 1893 considerable alterations were made, three-storey bays were added to the
E. and W. of the main block, the main entrance was
moved from S. to N., the centre of the N. front being
rebuilt to receive it, and the hall which had previously
held the staircase was remodelled; at the same time
the wings were altered and rearranged internally and
the W. wing refenestrated. The house is now divided
The S. front (Plate 78) is symmetrical with a lofty
central block flanked by low wings designed as pavilions with short connecting screen-walls. The main
block is ashlar-faced with rusticated ground floor setting forward in the centre to form a base for four Ionic
pilasters two storeys in height with pedimented entablature containing a circular window in the tympanum,
on either side the entablature is carried across the front
with balustraded parapet; all the windows are plain
with square heads, those on the first floor have delicate
iron balconies; the semi-circular porch, now glazed,
was added in or before 1807. The wings are of ashlar
on the S., the windows are round-headed and the short
recessed screen-walls have balustraded parapets. The
original work in squared and coursed rubble on the other
fronts is plain and mostly with square-headed windows,
but the late 19th-century additions are partly in ashlar
and of some elaboration. The interior arrangement has
been altered and the original main stair removed
entirely. The hall retains two original wrought iron
fan-lights; in the dining-room is bolection-moulded
panelling of c.1700 brought from another house
in 1893. On the ground floor of the W. wing are
two reset early 19th-century white marble fireplaces
(Plate 48), one with a central frieze-panel carved in low
relief with Abraham's sacrifice and urns and foliage at
either end, this retains the original grate, the other
carved in bolder relief with Erato in the panel and
nymphs and flowers at the sides; this wing also contains a small 19th-century cast-iron hourglass-shaped
grate. In the drawing-room is a reset fireplace of 16th-century Italian style.
b(14) House, on the S. side of East Street 100 yards
E. of the town-hall, is of three storeys. The walls are
of brick in Flemish bond with some stucco. It was
built late in the 18th century. There is a balcony over
the shop-front supported on three fluted Ionic columns.
The ground floor sash-window has a semicircular head,
the remainder have square heads in gauged brick.
There is a stone dentil-cornice at eaves-level and a
b(15) House, No. 74 on the S. side of East Street 325
yards E. of the town-hall, is of two storeys with attics.
The walls are of brick in header bond with ashlar
dressings and the roofs are slate-covered. It was built
probably in the third quarter of the 18th century. The
street front has a stone plinth and rusticated quoins; it
is symmetrical, of five bays with the middle three projecting slightly and topped with a pedimental gable;
the entrance doorway with semicircular head is flanked
by fluted and reeded Ionic columns supporting a pedimented modillion-cornice, over it is a stone Venetian
window in an Ionic frame on console-brackets and
above in the pediment a circular window with moulded
architrave and four key-stones. The flanking windows
have moulded eared architraves and key-stones. The
modillion-cornice at the wall-head follows the slopes
of the pediment, the horizontal member being omitted
with the exception of short returns at either side supported on console-brackets; there is a panelled
parapet-wall butting against the sides of the pediment.
A plain W. extension of this front, probably of the
same build, contains a carriage-way and rooms over.
Inside there is a late 18th-century fireplace-surround
(Plate 48) of statuary marble with inlay of coloured
marble to simulate fluting in the side strips and frieze;
in the frieze-panels are bas-relief carvings of an urn
and wine-jars. It contains a mid-19th-century castiron grate of unusual design.
b(16) House, on the S. side of East Street 500 yards
E. of the town-hall, is of two builds, the N. block is of
three storeys, the S. of two with attics. The N. has
brick walls partly cement-rendered with rusticated stone
quoins and roofs covered with stone-slates; in the S.,
the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered.
The N. block was built in the 18th century and is
now divided into three tenements; it has a dentilcornice and hipped roof, the original windows have key-stones.
The S. block was built in the 16th century and is
said to have formed part of the Hospital of St. John
the Baptist. It retains of a number of altered
original windows and in the S. end is a window of
one pointed light in a square head. On the E. side,
at the first-floor level, is a projecting three-sided orielwindow on stone corbelling; it has two lights with
rounded heads on the face and one on each return.
Inside the building, the room at the N. end has original
moulded ceiling-beams and plates.
b(17) Houses, at the E. end of East Street between
East Bridge and the railway, a group of four, stuccofronted and with slate-covered roofs. They were built
c.1840. The W. house has three panelled pilasters on
the street front. They have low-pitched pyramidal
roofs and projecting eaves on widely spaced brackets;
the sash windows have square heads.
b(18) House, No. 115 East Street, on the N. side
450 yards E. of the town-hall, is of two storeys with
attics. The walls are of ashlar and local squared and
coursed stone, the roofs are tile-covered. It was built
in the 18th century; the N. extension is later. The S.
front has plain pilasters at either end, moulded eaves-cornice and hipped roof with two dormers; the doorway in the centre has a moulded architrave, plain frieze
and a cornice on shaped brackets; the windows have
b(19) House, No. 79 East Street, on the N. side 330
yards E. of the town-hall, is of two storeys with attics.
The walls are of squared and coursed local stone and
the roofs are slate-covered. It was built in the first
half of the 18th century; the main entrance was
altered at the end of the same century. The S. front is
symmetrical, the doorway is in the middle and has a
round head with fanlight and panelled reveals; the
windows have flat arches with keystones and are fitted
with flush-framed sashes. There is a dentil-cornice
and panelled parapet-wall.
b(20) Ringstead House, on the N. side of East
Street 210 yards E. of the town-hall, and the similar
house adjoining on the E. are of three storeys with
cellars. The walls are of brick and the roofs are slate-covered. They were built as terrace-houses in the first
half of the 19th century; a modern shop-front has been
inserted on the ground floor of the E. property. The
remaining original doorway has a round head; there
are lofty rectangular sash windows, with a balcony with
iron balustrade to the first floor, a string at second-floor level and a cornice and parapet at the wall-head.
b(21) Literary and Scientific Institute, house on
the N. side of East Street next to the Unitarian Chapel
(5), is of two storeys with basement. The main front
is of ashlar, the others are of brick cement-rendered.
It was built in the first half of the 19th century. The
ground floor of the S. front is rusticated and contains
to one side the entrance doorway with flanking Doric
columns set within the thickness of the wall to support
a semi-circular arch over, the head contains an
ornamental fanlight; the windows are round-headed,
and they, with the arched doorway, have rusticated
voussoirs. The first-floor windows are set high above
a deep plain frieze and have moulded archivolts and
imposts, the impost mouldings being continued across
the wall-face as a string. At eaves-level there is a cornice
b(22) House, Nos. 41 and 43 East Street, 20 yards W.
of (21), is of two storeys. The walls are of cob and
the roofs are slate-covered. It was built in the 17th
b(23) House, Nos. 37 and 39 East Street, immediately
W. of (22), is of two storeys. It is a 17th-century building of stone and timber-framing but the front has been
refaced in the 18th century.
b(24) House, No. 9 East Street and 30 yards N.E. of
the town-hall, was formerly the George Inn and is of
two storeys. The walls are of stone and timber-framing. It was built in the 17th century, but the front
(Plate 124) has been refaced late in the 18th century
when the two well-preserved bowed shop-fronts were
erected with the bow-windows above them; the fasciaboard above flanked by foliated scrolls was added in
the 19th century. Inside the building are some original
b(25) Grove House, in Rax Lane, 115 yards N.N.E.
of the town-hall, is of three storeys. The walls are of
red and straw-coloured brick and part stucco, the roofs
are slate-covered. It was built early in the 19th century
and has been modernised; the E. wing has been largely
rebuilt. The S. front of the main block is symmetrical,
with entrance doorway in the middle under an open
porch with Roman Doric columns, antae and entablature.
The windows have gauged-brick flat arches. The N.
front has stucco pilasters at either end and a central
doorway with three-quarter columns; the windows
have moulded stone architraves. Inside there is an
b(26) Granville House, on the N. side of West
Street 100 yards N.W. of the town-hall, is of two storeys
with attics. The walls are of brick in header bond
with ashlar dressings and the roofs are slate-covered.
It was built about the middle of the 18th century; the
entrance porch and doorway were remodelled early
in the 19th century. The S. front is symmetrical, with
rusticated stone quoins; the doorway in the middle
has a shallow porch with free-standing Doric columns;
the central window on the first floor has a rusticated
moulded stone architrave, the other windows are plain
with flat gauged-brick arches and all have key-stones.
There is a bracket-cornice and panelled parapet-wall
pierced for balustrading in the centre. Inside, the
fixtures and fittings mostly date from the 19th century.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 18th century and of two storeys;
the walls are of brick and the roofs are tiled or slate
b(27) House, at the junction of West Street and
Victoria Grove, was built in the 18th century and has
b(28) House, adjoining (27) on the W., has a stucco
S. front. The doorway in the middle has a semi-circular head containing a fanlight and a cornice on
brackets, over it on the first floor is a Venetian window;
the remaining four windows have square heads and key-stones and contain tripartite sash frames.
b(29) House, adjoining (28) on the W., is of three
b(30) House, on the S. side of West Street 230 yards
W. of the town-hall, has a shop front of c. 1800. The
doorway has a fanlight over, and on the first floor is a
Venetian window; there is a dentil-cornice at eaves-level.
b(31) House, on the S. side of West Street, 150
yards W. of the town hall, has rusticated stone quoins,
a Venetian window on the first floor, and a dentil-cornice at eaves-level.
b(32) House, 10 yards E. of (31), with modern shop-front, has rusticated stone quoins, entrance doorway
with fanlight, a Venetian window on the first floor and
a dentil-cornice and panelled parapet-wall. Blue headers
are used decoratively in the brickwork between the
b(33) House, 35 yards E. of (32), with modern shop-front, retains an original doorway with segmental
head and fanlight flanked by engaged Composite
columns with entablature over.
b(34) House, on the S. side of West Allington 480
yards W.N.W. of the town-hall, has on the ground
floor round-headed sash windows in brick wall-arches
with round heads. There is a panelled parapet-wall.
The shop-front in the W. end with foliated scroll-work
over the fascia was inserted probably about the middle
of the 19th century (compare (24) above).
b(35) House, on the S. side of West Allington, 700
yards W. of the town-hall, was built c. 1800. The doorway in the middle of the symmetrical N. front has
panelled reveals and a fanlight within a semi-circular
b(36) Houses, four, on the N. side of West Allington
800 yards W.N.W. of the town-hall, are stucco-fronted.
They were built to a uniform design c. 1840 (Plate 45).
Two retain unaltered their verandahs the full width of
the ground floor with delicate iron standards and
trellis-work supporting shaped canopies; there are
similar covered-porches to the entrances. The shallowpitched roofs have wide eaves with widely spaced
b(37) Houses, a group on the N. side of West Allington to the W. of Park Road, are stucco-fronted.
They were built shortly before the middle of the 19th
century. The roofs are low pitched with wide eaves
with shaped brackets.
a(38) Range of four tenements, on the W. side of
North Allington, 5/8 m. N.W. of the church, has walls of
squared and coursed local stone. It was built in the
17th century. It retains two doorways with chamfered
segmental heads, one with label over, and a number of
two, three and four-light stone-mullioned windows.
Inside there are exposed chamfered ceiling-beams and
a plank partition.
a(39) House, immediately N.W. of (38), with walls
of rubble, was built in the 17th century but has been
extensively modernised. Inside, it retains some exposed
chamfered ceiling-beams, a plank partition and three
original door frames.
a(40) House, on the E. side of North Allington 910
yards N.W. of the church, has walls of squared and
coursed local stone. The original symmetrical front
has a central doorway with flanking fluted columns
supporting a pediment framing a semi-circular fanlight.
There is a dentil eaves-cornice.
b(41) House, on the N. side of the junction of North
Allington and West Street, 600 yards N.W. of the
church, is stucco-fronted. It was built in the second
quarter of the 19th century. The S.W. front has
pilasters at either end; the middle bay is set forward
and contains the entrance doorway flanked by Doric
columns recessed within the thickness of the wall with
full Doric entablature over. The roof is of low pitch
with wide eaves on shaped brackets.
b(42) George Hotel, on the W. side of South Street
opposite the town-hall, is of three storeys. The walls
are of coursed rubble. On the ground floor the windows have stone architraves, and there is a Venetian
window on the first floor. At eaves-level there is a
b(43) House, two tenements, Nos. 16 and 18 South
Street, 280 yards N. of the church, was built in the 17th
century. It is timber-framed but has been partly
refronted in brick.
b(44) House, on the S. side of East Street, 170 yards
E. of the town-hall, is of three storeys; the walls are
of ashlar and squared rubble and the roofs are covered
with slates. It was built probably c. 1840. The N.
front is symmetrically designed; it has a moulded
plinth, quoins, moulded strings at first and second-floor levels, a heavy stone cornice and low parapet.
The doorway in the centre has engaged Roman Doric
side-columns and entablature and is flanked by windows,
one on each side, with moulded architraves and cornices
carried on heavy consoles. The first-floor windows
are in surrounds comprising Ionic side-pilasters on
pedestals carrying full entablatures; the pedestals
stand on the moulded string at first-floor level and their
capping-mouldings are continued across the front to
form the sills to the windows. The second-floor
windows have moulded architraves. The E. front is
blank and the S. and W. are largely concealed. Inside,
the staircase, cornices and some of the fittings are
b(45) Houses, Nos. 48–56 on the W. side of West
Bay Road, 750 yards S. of the church, are stuccofronted. They were built c.1840 and comprise four
houses linked by one-storey porches. The treatment
of the fronts varies, two have pilasters at either end,
a third is divided into two panelled bays by pilasters
and elliptical wall-arches. Three retain verandahs with
trellis-work supports to the canopies over, now glazed.
The roofs are of low pitch with wide eaves on shaped
b(46) Bridport Arms Hotel, at West Bay nearly 1½ m.
S. of Bridport church, incorporates a 17th-century
rubble building with a thatched roof, at the N. end.
Inside the building is an original fireplace with a