15 BROAD WINDSOR (B.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XIX, S.W. (b)XIX, S.E. (c)XX, S.W.
(d)XXVIII, N.E. (e)XXIX, N.W.)
Broadwindsor is a village and parish on the N.W.
border of the county 3 m. W. of Beaminster. The
church, Childhay and the earthwork on Lewesdon Hill
are the principal monuments.
e(1) Parish Church of St. John the Baptist
stands in the village. The walls are of flint and local
stone rubble with ashlar and dressings of the same
material; the roofs are covered with lead. The S.
arcade of the Nave was built late in the 12th century
and a N. arcade, aisle and chapel were built early in
the 13th century. The S. clearstorey was built late
in the 14th century. The South Aisle was largely
rebuilt in the 15th century and the West Tower was
added during the same period, the stair-turret being a
rather later addition. The rebuilding of the church,
with the exception of the chancel, to the designs of
J. E. Giles of Taunton, proposed in 1848, was not
carried out, but the church was drastically restored in
1868 by Allen of Crewkerne, when the nave and aisles
were extended one bay to the E., the Chancel and North
Aisle rebuilt, the N. arcade reconstructed and extended and the North Vestry and South Porch added.
Architectural Description—The Nave (51¾ ft. by
20¼ ft.) has a partly modern and partly reconstructed
N. arcade of five bays; the four western arches are
mainly of early 13th-century materials and are two-centred and of two chamfered orders; the cylindrical
shafts and moulded capitals of the third and fourth
columns are also of 13th-century materials, together
with the moulded shaft-corbel of the W. respond
resting on a king's head. The S. arcade is of five
bays and of late 12th-century date except the E. bay
and the first column which are modern; the arches
are two-centred and of one chamfered order; the
columns are cylindrical with scalloped capitals and
moulded bases with defaced spur-ornaments; the W.
respond has an attached half-column; the E. respond
incorporates old material including the capital. The
clearstorey is modern or rebuilt and has on each side
five modern or entirely restored windows of late 14th-century character.
The Church, Plan
The South Aisle (5 ft. wide) has a modern E. bay.
The embattled parapet has some old grotesque figures.
In the S. wall are four windows, the easternmost
modern; the second and third windows are of the
15th century, partly restored, and of three cinque-foiled
lights in a square head with moulded external reveals;
the westernmost window is of the same period and of
three cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head with moulded reveals; the restored and
reset S. doorway is of 14th-century character and has
moulded jambs and two-centred head. In the W.
wall is a modern window.
The West Tower (9½ ft. square) is of the 15th century
and of three stages with an added stair-turret and an
embattled parapet with eight carved grotesque figures.
The tower-arch is modern. The reset late 14th-century
W. doorway has moulded jambs and two-centred head;
the W. window is modern except for the moulded
jambs. The second stage has a blocked window in
the N. wall and a single-light window in the W. wall,
modern externally. The bell-chamber has a square-headed window in the N. wall; the other windows are
modern. The newel of the stair-turret is carried up
and finished with a capital, supporting the roof. The
ceiling of the ground-stage of the tower has moulded
beams forming sixteen panels with carved bosses at
Fittings—Bells: six; 1st by Bilbie, 1800; 2nd, by
Bilbie, 1790; 3rd, 15th-century, from Salisbury foundry,
and inscribed, "Sancta Maria ora pro nobis"; 4th,
15th-century, Exeter foundry, and inscribed "Est
michi collatum Ihc istud nomen amatum"; 5th by
Robert Norton of Exeter, early 15th-century and
inscribed "Sancte Gabriel ora pro nobis". Benefactors'
Tables: In nave—on W. wall, (1) of Edmund Hallson,
1839, in semi-circular-headed frame, inscription with
angel and cherubs' heads painted in colour, signed
F. Frath (?) of Bridport. In S. aisle—on S. wall, (2) of
John Stanton, 1795, framed painting on boards. Font:
square bowl of Purbeck stone with diagonal and
chequer designs on faces, moulded under edge to take
the rounded stem with four attached shafts, moulded
base of local stone, late 12th or early 13th-century.
Monuments: In chancel—on N. wall, (1) to Edith
(Studley), wife of Hugh Gundry, 1695–6, sunk stone
tablet. In tower—on S. wall, (2) to Edmund Hallson,
late armourer-sergeant to the 1st or King's Dragoon
Guards, 1839, Mary wife of John Gorman and daughter
of Edmund and Mary Hallson, 1826, and Edmund
Hallson Gorman their son, 1834, wall-monument of
white and grey marbles with clustered flanking columns,
trophy-of-arms and standing figure of dragoon beside
his horse; (3) above (2) and similar to it, the inscription
is illegible. In churchyard—S. of S. aisle, (4) to John
Hext, 1624 (?), . . . Donne, 1664, and John Hext,
1633, table-tomb. Painting: In second stage of tower
—on boards, painted figures of Moses and Aaron under
arches, 17th-century. Piscinae: In N. aisle—in E.
wall, recess with trefoiled ogee head and label and sex-foiled drain, 14th-century, reset. In S. aisle—in
E. wall, recess with moulded jambs, trefoiled ogee
head, label and round drain, 14th-century, reset.
Plate: includes two silver-plated flagons, one dated
1831. Pulpit (Plate 27): of oak, seven sided with
buttressed and pinnacled angles, two ranges of panels,
upper with conventional foliage, enriched middle rail,
16th-century, cornice and base modern. Royal Arms:
painted and framed, 1783. Miscellanea: Incorporated
in S. wall of S. aisle, stone with four sunk circles,
b(2) Church of the Holy Trinity, at Blackdown
2½ m. W.N.W. of the parish church (1), was built as a
chapel of ease in 1839–40. The walls are of rubble
with ashlar dressings and the roofs are slate-covered.
The plan is a rectangle, with Chancel and Nave under one
continuous roof which has projecting eaves and E. and
W. gables with fretted barge-boards; at the W. end
is a bell-cote; there is a small N. Vestry and a S. Porch.
The E. window consists of three lancets, in a two-centred
head internally; the remaining windows are each of
one light with two-centred head and moulded label
over. Inside there is a shallow plaster vault with
moulded cornice in the nave and a W. gallery with
d(3) Homestead Moat, E. of Whetham Mill Cross
and over 1 m. W. of the parish church.
b(4) Childhay, house and outbuildings, is about 2 m.
N.W. of the parish church. The House is of two
storeys; the walls are of local rubble, ashlar-faced and
the roofs are covered with tiles and slates. The main
Hall-block, the Kitchen-wing to the N. of it and the
E. Porch between the two wings were built late in the
15th century. In the 17th century the Hall-block was
largely rebuilt, the kitchen-wing extended to the W.
and a one-storey wing added on the N. side. The
house has been extensively modernised and there are
modern extensions on the S. and a modern W. porch.
The E. Porch is a good example of late mediæval
The E. front has a gabled wing at the N. end with an
original moulded plinth. There are two two-light
17th-century windows to the ground floor and a four-light transomed window to the first floor all with
moulded labels. The two-storeyed late 15th-century
Porch (Plate 62) has a moulded plinth and an embattled
parapet with gargoyles carved as follows:—(a) two
figures holding a grotesque mask, (b) a crouching man
with a cross-bow (?), (c) two men wrestling and
(d) two beasts eating a man. The outer archway has
moulded jambs and four-centred arch in a square head
with quatre-foiled spandrels and a label with carved
stops of a man's head and a man playing a bagpipe.
The inner doorway has moulded jambs and four-centred arch and is fitted with an old battened door.
The upper storey has, in the E. wall, an altered window
of two square-headed lights with a label and head-stops;
in the S. wall is a window of one trefoiled ogee light
with plain shields in the spandrels and a label. The main
block, to the S., has 17th-century windows of one, three
or four four-centred lights. The exposed part of the W.
wall has been largely refaced in brick and has two reset
17th-century windows with square heads to the lights.
The inner doorway of the modern porch has chamfered
jambs and two-centred head.
Inside the building, the kitchen has an open timbered
ceiling and an original fireplace with moulded jambs
and four-centred arch in a square head with foliated
spandrels; the walls have a dado of 17th-century
panelling; the doorway from the screens is original
and has moulded jambs and four-centred head. In
the middle room of the main block are three wooden
panels painted with a landscape and two leopards'
faces, probably of c. 1700. The room over the kitchen
has a fireplace with moulded jambs and square head.
The Dairy, W. of the house, and formerly a cottage,
is of mid 17th-century date and retains a four-light
stone window with a label. The Barn, N. of the house,
was built in the 16th century. It is ashlar-faced and of
eight bays; the roof is of collar-beam type and there
are two doorways with wooden four-centred heads in
the N. wall.
b(5) Blackdown House, nearly 2½ m. W. of the
parish church, is of two storeys with attics; the walls
are of coursed local rubble and ashlar, and the roofs are
covered with slates. The house was built towards the
end of the 17th century, but little more than the N. and
S. external walls of this building remain; extensive
alterations and additions were made in the 19th century.
The original portion of the S. front contains the main
entrance with four-centred opening in a square head
under a pediment supported on console brackets, all
much restored, over it is a panel with the initials and
date P.M.I. 1697; the ranges of two-light stonemullioned windows on ground and first floors have
continuous labels over; the three dormers are modern.
The N. elevation retains a number of original two, three
and four-light stone mullioned windows. Inside there
are stop-chamfered beams and a plank partition reset
under the main stair.
d(6) Racedown, house nearly 2¾ m. W.S.W. of the
parish church (1), is of three storeys; the walls are of
local brick in Flemish bond with blue headers and ashlar
dressings and the roofs are covered with slates. The
original house was built by John Pretor Pinney c. 1785,
and the wings were added subsequently; the porch is
The original E. front is symmetrical; the porch is
flanked by sash windows consisting of a wide middle
light and narrow side lights in a Roman Doric frame,
with fluted frieze with oval medallions and cornice.
At first-floor level is a flat string. The windows on
first and second floor have moulded architraves, that
over the entrance has in addition a plain frieze and
cornice. There is a stone cornice at eaves-level returning round the building and a parapet-wall. The windows in the remaining fronts are similar to those on
the upper floors of the E. elevation, with the exception
of some on the second floor which are round, with
moulded architraves and four keystones. There are
broad panelled chimney-stacks on the N. and S. ends.
Inside the building there are original plaster dentil-cornices and some fittings of the period, including, in
the hall, fluted pilasters and two niches with shell-heads
and, in the S. room, a fireplace and overmantel and a
similar niche reset.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys;
the walls are of rubble and the roofs are covered with
thatch, tiles or slates. Some of the buildings have
exposed ceiling-beams and original fireplaces.
b(7) Schoolhouse Farm, house nearly ½ m. W.S.W. of
a(8) Cottage at Synderford, about 3¼ m. W. of the
b(9) Netherhay Farm, house on the S.W. side of the
road over 2 m. N.W. of the parish church, retains a
number of original mullioned windows with labels; the
doorway has moulded jambs and four-centred head;
above it is a stone with the date 1638. There is a staircase wing at the back.
b(10) Cottage, 20 yards N.W. of (9), retains an original
b(11) Drimpton Farm, house ¼ m. S.E. of (9), has been
b(12) Lower Drimpton Farm, house 140 yards S.W. of
(11), was rebuilt in the 18th century but incorporates a
17th-century doorway with moulded jambs and four-centred arch in a square head; it is flanked by 18th-century columns supporting a pediment.
b(13) House, on the N.E. side of the road 80 yards E.
of (11), retains three original stone-mullioned windows.
The outbuilding to the W., formerly a cottage, retains
an original stone window.
b(14) West Swillett's Farm, house nearly 2 m. N.N.W.
of the parish church, retains two original four-light
windows with labels. Inside the N. wing are three
pieces of modelled plasterwork, including a rosette and
b(15) Sandpit Farm, house 1,100 yards S. of (14),
was built late in the 15th or early in the 16th century
and included a one-storey hall in the existing S. wing.
The upper floor was inserted early in the 17th century
when the N. cross-wing was added. The house
retains a number of 17th-century stone-mullioned
windows with labels. The original roof is of four bays
and is smoke-blackened; the trusses are of heavy collar-beam type with curved braces and curved wind-braces
forming trefoiled arches.
b(16) House, 250 yards S.E. of (15), retains most of
its original stone windows. On the W. front the
windows of the lower range have moulded labels and
are of two, three and four lights. Inside the building
are some original muntin and plank partitions.
b(17) Lower Sandpit Farm, house 260 yards S.W. of
(16), has been much altered. Inside the building is a
fire-back dated 1680. In the E. wall of the stable are
some reused mediæval stones.
b(18) Blagdon Farm, house about 1,600 yards N.N.W.
of the parish church, has been much altered.
c(19) Manor Farm, house on the S. side of the road
at Little Windsor over 1 m. N. of the parish church, has
been much altered but retains some original stonemullioned windows.
c(20) Cottage, 100 yards E. of (19).
c(21) Cottage, four tenements, on the E. side of the
road 30 yards S. of (20).
c(22) Cottage, on the W. side of the road 30 yards
S.W. of (21).
c(23) Potwell Farm, house over 1¼ m. N.N.E. of the
parish church, has an 18th-century extension on the S.
It retains some original stone-mullioned windows, one
with a label.
c(24) Baker's Mill, house over 2 m. N.E. of the
parish church, retains an original four-light window
with a label.
c(25) Dibberford, house 1,150 yards S.W. of (24), was
built probably in the 16th century and retains some
original stone-mullioned windows, the lower ones with
labels. Inside the building are some original moulded
ceiling-beams and a large fixed press probably of the
c(26) North Dibberford, house 1¾ m. N.E. of the
parish church, has been considerably restored. It
retains some original three and four-light stone-mullioned windows with labels and a doorway with four-centred head and label, all much repaired.
c(27) South Dibberford, house 770 yards E.S.E. of
(25), was built probably c. 1600, but substantially rebuilt
late in the 17th century. It retains some original
stone-mullioned windows with labels. Inside the
building is a muntin and plank partition.
c(28) Cottage (Plate 43), 100 yards S.E. of (27).
e(29) Horn Park, house over 1½ m. E.S.E. of the
parish church, retains two original stone windows of
four lights with labels.
e(30) Wantsley Farm, house about 1 m. E.S.E. of
the parish church, retains a number of original stonemullioned windows with labels. The outer and inner
doorways of the porch have moulded jambs and four-centred arches in square heads. The Barn, N.W. of the
house, is probably of the same period.
e(31) Lower Park Farm, house (Plate 39) 980 yards
N.N.E. of the parish church, retains a number of
original stone-mullioned windows with labels. The
porch has an outer archway with moulded jambs, square
head and label.
e(32) House, on the W. side of the road 100 yards
N.E. of the parish church, has been much altered but
retains two original stone windows.
e(33) House, with shop, on the E. side of the road
100 yards S.E. of the parish church.
e(34) Cottage, immediately S. of (33).
e(35) Cottage, immediately S. of (34).
e(36) House, on the W. side of the road 170 yards
S.S.E. of the parish church.
e(37) Cottage, on the S.E. of the road-junction 240
yards S.S.E. of the parish church.
e(38) House, 10 yards W. of (37), retains some original
d(39) House, on the S. side of the road 130 yards
S.W. of the parish church, has an added back wing.
The house retains some original stone-mullioned
windows, two with labels.
d(40) House, immediately S.W. of (39), has been
d(41) Cottage, two tenements 30 yards W. of the
parish church, retains an original three-light window.
d(42) Cottage, ¼ m. W.N.W. of the parish church.
c(43) Tunnel, 17/8 m. E.N.E. of the parish church,
with the N.W. entrance in this parish, the S.E. in
Beaminster, see under Beaminster (60).
Earthwork on Lewesdon Hill
d(44) Earthwork on Lewesdon Hill (about 900 ft.
above O.D.), about ¾ m. S. of the parish church, forms
an enclosure rather over 2½ acres in internal area. This
site consists of a comparatively narrow hill with a flat
curved top some 330 yards long by an average width
of about 45 yards. The S.W. and most of the E. scarp
is precipitous; while that on the N. is less steep. At
the S. end there is a natural ramped causeway and at the
W. end there is a natural causeway connecting Lewesdon
Hill with Burstock Down. At the W. end, crossing the
causeway, are traces of a slight ditch some 24 ft. below
the ground level of the summit, and having traces of an
outer bank. In a similar position on the sloping causeway at the S. end is a slight flattening of the slope, or
suggestion of a berm, which may represent a similar
cross ditch, now filled up. At this level, also, are slight
traces of a berm continuing along the S.W. scarp for a
few yards. Along most of the N. scarp are intermittent
traces of a berm about 20 ft. below the upper ground
level, which may represent the site of a former ditch
now filled up. It ceases abruptly at its E. end, where
the scarp becomes sufficiently precipitous to have
rendered a ditch unnecessary. A few yards E. of the
W. entrance are what may be traces of an inner rampart
to the main scarp; but, as there has been digging for
and removal of gravel from the floor of the enclosure,
it is not safe to attach much importance to this apparent
The whole area has been much damaged by the
removal of gravel and timber and the obliterating effect
of leaf-mould, as the entire defences are wooded. On
the N. side is a trackway which would appear to be of
later date. The sunken way running from this track
up the hill-side to a point some 95 yards E. of the W.
entrance is modern. There is an apparent berm near
the base of the S.W. scarp.
e(45) Lynchet, on the N.E. slope of the hill 1¼ m.
E.S.E. of the parish church, forms a single terrace
extending for about 220 yards.